Start by marking “SeinLanguage” as Want to Read:
SeinLanguage

SeinLanguage

Seinfeld. For more than 33 million viewers, the Emmy Award-winning television show has become a Thursday night ritual. Even though the show has ended, Jerry Seinfeld's distinct brand of humor can still be yours.

In his #1 New York Times bestselling book, SeinLanguage, Jerry Seinfeld has captured on the page his views on topics ranging from Raisinettes to relationships, fro
Published December 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about SeinLanguage, please sign up.

Start your review of SeinLanguage
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

I love Jerry Seinfeld's comedy, and of course I loved 'Seinfeld' the show. I know there are some people out there who have no chemistry with the show's humor, but I'm one of those it fits perfectly. I went into this book wondering if it was a musing on life or a mini bio, but found it was none of this. It's 'SeinLanguage' - pieces of Seinfeld's comedy, written on page rather than acted on stage.

The humor is good, it works, he writes well - but it'd be better to sit and watch him perform
Jonathan
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Let me preface this review by saying that I think Jerry Seinfeld is hilarious. I have watched Seinfeld episodes by the gallon and never seem to tire of them. And I always watch the comedy segment at the end, because he is so clever and everyone seems to be having such a good time.

However, something about his humor style translates very poorly to a book. I don't know what it is. But I read the entire thing, front to back, and counted one quiet chuckle and two smirks.

Seinfeld acknowledges this sh
Matthew
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is simply a collection of several bits from Jerry Seinfeld's comic notebook. Most fans of the TV show Seinfeld or of Seinfeld's stand up act will recognize these bits. That doesn't make them any less funny. This is one of the only books I have ever laughed at while reading it. In my mind, I could hear Jerry's voice saying these bits and it was like my own personal Jerry Seinfeld stand up act.
Denisa Arsene
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I had some good laughs but not as I could have had if Seinfeld itself would read it.
I like it, it was funny and easy. It can mske somebody's day. Of course is better to watch him. But if you are travelling and you want to pass a good time, this is a good reading.
Chris Shank
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
For me, this book was an ‘inbetweener’. It helped lighten the load between Hawking’s A Brief History Of Time and an anthology of existentialist thought titled Existentialism. And lighten the load it did. I read just a couple pages each time I came to it, and put it down with a more cheerful and ‘breathable’ outlook.

Everyone knows Seinfeld’s humor (if you don’t, I don’t want to know you anymore…simple as that…just leave). He cracks jokes about everyday things that we take for granted, and helps u
Radwa
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
I loved Seinfeld's show so much, I love his sense of humor, the way it's sassy and offensive and hilarious, and while I appreciated his funny bits in the show, I don't think it worked as well in this book.

I think it would've been better if this book was a collection of his essays or something like that, because these quick shots, even if they were grouped together because they addressed the same topic, seemed chaotic. OR I think this is one of those that would've worked PERFECTLY as an audiobook
Magdalena
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
There's a reason why it's called 'stand-up comedy' - because when you sit down and try to read it, it's not as funny as when you hear it.

(BTW, I'm a huge fan of Seinfeld and Jerry himself so my review's just 'OK' not because I don't get his sense of humour. I do but I'm not buying it wrapped in a book form.)
ريحانة
Jan 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I understand that this book was a big hit in 1995, when the show was still airing. But in 2013, I find it a little too dull.

I watched the entire Seinfeld sitcom and I mostly liked it. I hated the end though, and I disliked how Jerry would always go, "and what's the deal with cars anyway? Right? I mean...".

Seinfeld has a unique style, except that you grow tired of it at some point. A sitcom and several comedy gigs were enough; a book compiling the material that was already used and re-used over s
Eliz L
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is so dated, and kind of terrible because of it. I received it as a joke Christmas present over a decade ago and figured I'd knock it out. As Zack pointed out, it's a unique kind of book that he doesn't see much of anymore : slim, light content, if published today might just be a series of blogs, belongs in a bathroom at best.
Tarek Amr
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
It's hard to describe this one as a book. You know those few minutes at the beginning and at the end of the Seinfeld Sitcom shows, when Jerry gives some Stand Up Comedy sketches. This book is just a collection of those sketches.

People who like the show - like me - may find it nice to read those sketches, and keep the book on their shelves and treat it as a some kind of written video tape where they can play the sketches back in their minds whenever they want to watch them again.
Shelby Hallenbeck
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There's no doubt that as a stand-up comedian, Jerry Seinfeld is hilarious. His material is fantastic, and his television show is one of the best of all time. This book is meant to capture his stand-up in writing in the form of what is essentially a collection of short jokes. Because of this, the book is a very fast read and is easy to pick back up on after being set down.

I love Seinfeld. However, without his signature delivery style, his material (however hilarious it may be) just doesn't feel
Adam Krause
Mar 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The book “Seinlanguage” is an autobiography about Jerry Seinfeld and his everyday life, and thoughts. He covers relationships, transportation, and life as a kid. The thing that I liked most about the book was that most of the jokes made a lot of sense. I read the whole book in his voice. I then imagined him talking to Elaine and George inside of his apartment.

Seinfeld puts some good life lessons in his book but adds a little humor to it. I like reading autobiographies more than normal books. It
Isabella González
Jerry Seinfeld popularized and innovated on the American observational comedy performance that people have emulated all over the world. Even when you go to a comedy club in Iraq in 2018, the comedian has a suit jacket and a brick wall facade behind him (as seen in Larry Charles' Dangerous World of Comedy, a documentary by "Seinfeld" writer Larry Charles).

This book is a collection of Jerry Seinfeld's standup material, and I was surprised how most of these I already knew from the opening/interstit
Matt
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jerry Seinfeld is a genius. The purest observational comic of all time. This 1993 book contains most (all?) of his bits up to that point. Really fun reading.
Darshan
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
What's the deal with SeinLanguage?
Samantha
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-satirical
So, yeah. My reading tastes are varied. I just finished reading a book about astrophysics and then went right into reading this collection of Jerry Seinfeld anecdotes. It only took me two hours to read the whole book, but it was time well spent.

First of all, I ♥ Jerry Seinfeld. He never fails to make me laugh. There is no one on this planet who, for me, can make the mundane more hilarious than he can.

This book is basically a collection of the stand-up excerpts that used to appear in his sitcom.
Aaron Danke
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book “Seinlanguage” is an autobiography about Jerry Seinfeld and his everyday life, and thoughts. This book is divided into different sections. Each section has it’s own topic. He covers relationships, transportation, life as a kid, money, and more. The book was basically a big comedy act. After a joke a new paragraph starts. The thing that I liked most about the book was that most of the jokes I could relate to, and they made a lot of sense. I like Jerry Seinfeld’s sense of humor. He never ...more
Karschtl
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved the show! And I love this book! Hilarious funny.

I read some passages in my "American Accent Training"-exam at uni, and it worked. The teacher (comes from New York) loves Jerry and my reading, and I passed.

Here are three passages from the book:
The fact of life is that people will try and take your possessions. People are going to steal from you. Everybody has their own little personal security things. Things that they think will foil the crooks. You go to the beach, go into the water, put
Triasterina
Sep 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Gak ada bosen2nya baca buku ini. I am silly, like him. In the book, Jerry describes few situation that happened to me also. Hilarious !!Banyak keresahan2 Jerry yang gak pernah terpikirkan sebelumnya, tapi Jerry ngemas itu dengan situasi komedi. Kalo bener-bener kejadian di cerita ini hampir sama dengan kehidupan kita sehari-hari, coba deh baca … bikin kamu ngetawain diri sendiri…

I think, he is quite feminine…
“ The tuxedo is a wedding safety device. Because they know that men are undependable.
Florencia
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Observational comedy fans
On my block, a lot of people walk their dogs and I always see them walking along with their little poop bags. This, to me, is the lowest activity in human life. Following a dog with a little scooper. Waiting for him to go so you can walk down the street with it in your bag. If aliens are watching this through telescopes, they're going to think the dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume
Cole
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"SeinLanguage" was great to read, much of the book is from Seinfeld’s stand-up comedy. The book covers many everyday topics including tensions on first dates and transportation. It flows well and gives you the visualization that you area watching his stand-up act.

Jerry Seinfeld was the only main character in this book. Other people were mentioned including Jerry’s parents and his close friends, no names were mentioned.

Most of the comedy takes place in New York as it is referenced throughout the
Kevin
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it

If you're a fan of Jerry Seinfeld's unique style of observational humor, enjoy his stand-up, his show, or are just in the mood for something light-hearted, go ahead and pick this up. SeinLanguage is an easy read, but the voice of Seinfeld is clear and present in every word; reading it is like watching him on stage, pacing back and forth, doing his thing, only this time it's all in your head.

From dating, to personal maintenance, to attempting to find a spot in a New York parking lot, the book's s

Apu Borealis
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was more of the sitcom Seinfeld in book form, but less funny. By itself, I don't think it is 4 star material, although I can't get enough of Jerry on that TV sitcom, I've not found him seriously funny anywhere else. It was a mix of Larry David's bite and Jerry Seinfeld's mainstream humor that made it such a hit. And Larry without Jerry is a tad sour sounding, or at least a different genre of humor, like organic chocolate without sugar. In fact, all fans of the show realize what a tremendous ...more
Israel
Jul 10, 2008 rated it liked it
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! Unless you have watched enough Seinfeld lately to properly duplicate Jerry's comedic timing as you read the book aloud. The common element of all of Jerry's jokes is that they are painfully unfunny...until you have Jerry telling them. So do yourself a favor. Binge on a few DVDs of Seinfeld and then read the book outloud in Jerry's voice. Then it will earn two more stars.
Joy H.
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I remember laughing out loud while I was reading this book, _SeinLanguage_ by Jerry Seinfeld. I recently gave it away to our library's fundraiser and I'm sorry I did. So now I'm going to borrow it from the library so that I can read it again. It's a short, skinny little book. So it won't take me long.
Dan Schwent
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
Funny funny stuff. It's even funnier if you and your brother read it out loud to each other while your ditching church. Not that we did that for several years. There is significant overlap with his standup material but that's to be expected.
David
Aug 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. When I picked it up I thought it was going to be more of an autobiography of himself with some funny perspectives on life, but it was actually just his stand up comedy. Some of it was really funny, some was okay. Overall it was a quick read and entertaining.
Ashwin Ramakrishnan
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely hilarious collection of Seinfeld's thoughts on everything. Honestly, it's like reading stand-up, especially if you slow down to read it with his voice and timing. It's amazing how he finds the absurdity in everyday life.
Angie
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very funny and easy read- I think I finished it in a day. His humor in the book mimics his stand up routine and television show...which is why it's so good.
Lynai
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-a-copy
I have added another book to my currently-reading list. But this one I think I might finish soonest. An easy read, hilarious at times, and definitely a light read. Just what I need for the moment.
The Not-So Austen...: Quotes from: Jerry Seinfield 3 16 Jun 02, 2012 11:45PM

• Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • Couplehood
  • Napalm & Silly Putty
  • Brain Droppings
  • Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined
  • When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?
  • Seinfeldia: How a Show About Nothing Changed Everything
  • Private Parts
  • If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries What Am I Doing in the Pits?
  • Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling
  • Letters from a Nut
  • Miss America
  • A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex
  • Have a Nice Day!: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks
Jerome Allen "Jerry" Seinfeld (born April 29, 1954) is an American comedian, actor and writer, whose style is often described as observational comedy. He is best known for playing a semi-fictional version of himself in the situation comedy, Seinfeld, (1989-1998), which he co-created, helped write and, in the show's final two seasons, executive produced. In his first major foray back into the media ...more