Start by marking “The X-Files: Goblins” as Want to Read:
The X-Files: Goblins

The X-Files: Goblins

(The X-Files #1)

Opening the X-Files...

Meet Mulder and Scully, FBI. The agency maverick and the female agent assigned to keep him in line.

Their job: investigate the eeriest unsolved mysteries in modern America, from pyro-psychics to death row demonics, from rampaging Sasquatches to alien invasions. The cases the Bureau wants handled quietly, but quickly, before the public finds out what's
Published October 28th 1994 by Harper Collins (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The X-Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The X-Files

Jamie
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
There’s a folder on my hard drive— named “Apocrypha,” what else?— that, like maybe anyone who came of age on the internet at the same time, is full of X-Files fan fiction. Stories I’ve saved, stories I’ve written (like an ambitious/incomplete undertaking where I elaborated greatly on the canon of seasons 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9, episode by episode), so there’s the understatement for you: that I’ve read and written, and still write and read, my share of X-Files fanfic. I may be able to speak with some ...more
Supratim
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-x-files, sci-fi
This is the second The X-Files novel that i have read and must say that I found this one to be much better.

Brief synopsis: An ex-sergeant and later a corporal is murdered and as usual the testimony provided by the witnesses does not make sense. Mulder and Scully, this time accompanied by another pair of agents are sent to investigate. There you have hints of covert military experiments, a nosy reporter trying to find the killer, a lady who claims to see goblins etc. - enough elements to create
Andrew
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Ok Its sunday and time for some retro reading - I will put my hand up (rather sheepishly) that at the time of its airing I loved the x-files. They were something new and interesting and had a sense of fun - even if they became harder and harder to believe - I remember the tag line on the first episode (or was it the pilot) where they said it was based on a true story, hmm how closely based I wonder. Anyway this book follows the same formula as the show - although it does not quote a specific tim ...more
Omaira
Mar 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"A pesar de ser una novela relativamente corta, se me hizo eterna su lectura. No sabe crear un verdadero ambiente de suspenso y considero que no logra que puedas llegar a plantearte que está sucediendo algo sobrenatural. Los personajes no generan mucho interés y solo destacaría que las últimas páginas fueron un poco mejores que el resto del libro".

Reseña completa: http://entrelalecturayelcine.blogspot...
Alessio
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: letti
Praticamente come guardare un episodio in TV.
Bryan Cebulski
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, horror
I thought that Charles L. Grant's "quiet horror" would appeal to me--the phrase brings to mind something slow and broody and culminating in something absolutely chilling or shocking (Adrean Messmer's Psychopomp and Circumstance comes to mind, or maybe some of Shirley Jackson's work). But aside from some beautifully evocative descriptions in the short stories I've read from his collection Nightmare Seasons, "quiet horror" seems to be code for "nothing actually happening".

I was really looking forw
Randolph
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, horror
I'm not sure why Grant picked up this and another piece of X-Files hack work Whirlwind. Maybe he needed to pay the mortgage or he just really liked the show. Hopefully he made a decent deal and did pay the mortgage since this particular copy I have is in the 22nd printing! Anyway, in my quest to read all things Grant, I dove into this one because I had it and it was the only thing around when I needed something to read.

I don't believe this is a novelization of an episode per se but a novel inten
Angus McKeogh
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Love the TV series. Love the reunion episodes that have recently been aired. And knowing that's it's near impossible to translate TV characters to book form without completely missing I was pleasantly surprised by this first X-Files novel. I thought Grant captured the characters fairly well. The beginning was slow and the writing was at times scattershot and skeletal. But I ultimately enjoyed another newly discovered "episode" of Mulder and Scully.
Kim Dyer
Sep 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
For the first X-Files novel that was not based on an existing plot-line, Goblins was unfortunately pretty weak. The plot played through like a mediocre Monster of the Week episode, as Mulder and Scully are sent to investigate a couple of murders perpetrated by an invisible assassin. The result is, unfortunately, incredibly messy.

The story is very slow to find its feet, with Mulder and Scully not even reaching the scene of the crime until 70 pages into the novel. While it doesn't really require y
Katie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Bad. Blatant sexism throughout. Women are simply present to nag, be appreciated visually, and supplement male characters. Speaking of the male characters, they're so bland the most expressive action they make is running their fingers through their hair. They seem to have ridiculously good luck that sucks the plot dry of all intrigue. And the humour? As funny as men eating steaks and women eating salads. Yeah, that's actually in there. Dated, boring, and thankfully finished.
Simon
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointed in this one. The book focuses too much on FBI politics and not Scully & Mulder.
Greg
Having been a fan of the television series since it started back in the mid-1990s, it's strange that I never got to read a novel based on The X-Files until now - nearly 20 years later! This book is also the first Charles Grant novel I've ever read, which again seems strange that I've not read one before. I suppose there's a first time for everything and it doesn't really matter when it happens!

As for the story itself, it wasn't bad but it wasn't exceptional either. It's written on the basis that
Monse
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
La historia es digna de ser uno de los capítulos más aburridos de la serie, si la hubieran adaptado.
Lo más flojo del relato es que tiene demasiados personajes secundarios. ¿Para qué una pareja doble de agentes? Con Mulder y Scully bastaba, pero parece que Grant quizo inventar dos personajes muy mal desarrollados y super estereotipados: Webber (como el incompetente newbie del FBI) y Andrews (como la agente callada, (view spoiler)
Oceana2602
More official fanfic that I read before I ever discovered "real" fanfic. Gods, how I ever survived my childhood (do teenage years qualify as childhood? Because I think they do) without the internet I don't know. Also, gods, how I ever survived my twenties WITH the internet I don't know.
Other things I don't know: what this book was about, if it featured Krycek and if he and Mulder got to make out while waiting for a UFO to lan in an alleyway. Though I'm guessing that none of this happened. Still
Dillon
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
The X Files: Goblins, was a book that was easy and fun to read. Without being difficult and mind boggling, it's a great book to just kick back and relax without thinking to much. While this is a plus, I would've enjoyed a little more mystery instead of being so blunt and obvious. Other than that, I quite enjoyed this book.
4/5
Daphne
Feb 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own-audio, quest
By the Nines, this book was bad. I should have known better than to even try, but two things drew me to giving it a go.

1. I've had decent luck with the Torchwood/Dr.Who books and audio dramas. Some have even been superb. This was on the complete other end of the 'book-tie-in' spectrum. The absolute other end.

2. New X-Files. 'nuff said.
Matthew Palmer
Poor Kindle Conversion

The grammar in this conversion was awful; where there should have been paragraph blocks there were run on lines instead. This made the book a confusing and irritating read.
The plot itself was predictable and I am unsure whether the author had a full grasp of the nuances and subtlety of Mulder and Scully's relationship. For X-Files completionists only.
Josh Dormammu
Feb 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
A book so bad I felt compelled to burn it before finishing the last ten pages, thereby ensuring that no one else will ever suffer through at least this one copy of Goblins. I want to believe it is still smuldering in my backyard. Haha.
Stephen Osborne
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Not bad. Grant has the characters down, but the whole thing has a rushed feeling about it. Some scenes could have been clearer, some characters more fully explored. FBI agent Andrews, in particular, made me go "huh?"
Rebecca McNutt
The X-Files is one of those things that works way better as a television show than a book series. With limited vocabulary, a childish premise and confusing dialogue, Goblins is more like a bad TV novel than anything else, very common for the Nineties.
Tracey
Feb 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book and I just didn't which is why it took me so long to get through. I thought the novel made caricatures of Mulder and Scully.
Geoff Habiger
I wanted to really like this book, an X-Files story set during the heyday of the television series. Mulder and Scully at the top of their game, looking into another mysterious event. And while Charles Grant captured the essence of Mulder and Scully, as characters and people, the story fell flat as far as I was concerned. Grant is trying to do too much with this story. You have the obligatory mysterious killings taking place that some locals attribute to mythical "goblins". You have the obligator ...more
Deyth Banger
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: try, chance-deserve
"June 22, 2017 –
80.0% "Probably you ain't ready for more, but as for me, I am ready... I am going to give a next shot and a next one and a next one, I fucking love the concept probably it hasn't been shown in the best way... but still they are trying to make the audience to like it."
June 15, 2017 –
70.0% "More gruesome, ugly and horrible... most people will put it as the toilet creatures - creature has came out ... just to strike once and if it's lucky probably and a second time.
...."
June 15, 201
Gamze
Aman aman mutlaka okuyun diyeceğim bir kitap değildi kesinlikle. Konu ilgi çekiciydi ama işlenmesi kötüydü, iki farklı bakış açısından anlatılmıştı ve hiçbir netlik yoktu başlarda. Baş karakterlerden olan Dr. Elkhart ve Rosemary aynı kişiymiş mesela, kitabın bitmesine 50 sayfa kalınca öğrendim.
3/5'likti kısacası. Okumasam da olurmuş.
Nicole
Aburrido, con varios plot twist previsibles, un montón de personajes innecesarios y lo peor es que Scully y Mulder estaban MUY fuera de personajes (Mulder diciéndole a Scully que se callara todo el tiempo, wtf)
Pero al menos los últimos capítulos estuvieron entretenidos y es rápido de leer.
Aurélie Knit & Read
Comme tout le monde, j'étais accro aux X-Files dans les années 90, et me suis lancée dans la lecture de ces romans originaux. Même s'ils n'arrivent pas à la cheville de la série, leur lecture était sympa. Fallait juste être dans le trip....
Maria Laura
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Rápido de leer, entretenido, y no te esperas esos culpables (o por lo menos yo no me los esperaba) super recomendado, perfecto para esos momentos de resaca literaria ;)
Rita
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved it.
Matt
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced but anti climactic

A fast paced, action packed story. However, "Goblins" is the monster of the week variety of story and does nothing to further the X-Files mythos.
  • Ruins
  • Skin (The X-Files)
  • The X-Files: Fight the Future
  • X Marks the Spot (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #1)
  • The Truth Is Out There (The Official Guide to The X-Files #1)
  • Squeeze (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #4)
  • I Want To Believe (The Official Guide to The X-Files #3)
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume II
  • The Unofficial X-Files Companion: An X-Phile's Guide to the Mysteries, Conspiracies, and Really Strange Truths Behind the Show (X-Files Companion #1)
  • The X-Files: I Want to Believe
  • Clark's Law
  • The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name
  • Blood Oath
  • Accusations
  • The Long Night of Centauri Prime (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, #1)
Charles Lewis Grant was a novelist and short story writer specializing in what he called "dark fantasy" and "quiet horror." He also wrote under the pseudonyms of Geoffrey Marsh, Lionel Fenn, Simon Lake, Felicia Andrews, and Deborah Lewis.

Grant won a World Fantasy Award for his novella collection Nightmare Seasons, a Nebula Award in 1976 for his short story "A Crowd of Shadows", and another Nebula

The X-Files (8 books)
  • Whirlwind (The X-Files)
  • Ground Zero
  • Ruins
  • Antibodies
  • Skin (The X-Files)
  • The X-Files: Fight the Future
  • The X-Files: I Want to Believe
“I want us to cool down for a while before we end up on horses' said Scully.

'What?' Hank asked.

'A definition of confusion.' Mulder explained, hands clasped behind his head. 'He jumped up on his horse and rode off in all directions.' He winked. 'Scully likes wise sayings like that. She hoardes fortune cookies you know.”
11 likes
“You're supposed to be sleeping'

Mulder didn't jump, didn't turn his head. 'The day you figure out how to turn off my brain Scully let me know.' He shook his head, but carefully. 'Amazing isn't it?'

'Your brain?' She leaned her forearms on the railing. 'It's okay but I wouldn't call it amazing.”
7 likes