Start by marking “Macaque Attack! (Ack-Ack Macaque, #3)” as Want to Read:
Macaque Attack! (Ack-Ack Macaque, #3)

Macaque Attack!

(Ack-Ack Macaque #3)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The Spitfire pilot monkey Ack-Ack Macaque faces a world on the brink in this adventure, the conclusion to his astonishing trilogy.
In the thrilling conclusion of the Macaque Trilogy, the dangerous but charismatic Ack-Ack Macaque finds himself leading a dimension-hopping army of angry monkeys, facing an invading horde of implacable killer androids, and confronting the one c
Mass Market Paperback, 428 pages
Published December 30th 2014 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Macaque Attack!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Macaque Attack!

Dan Schwent
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
The monkey Ack-Ack Macaque and former journalist Victoria Valois is out to save the world. Also, Victoria must finally face the fact that she has to say goodbye to Paul and Ack-Ack learns that he is to be a father...

This is the third and last book in the Ack-Ack Macaque series and even though I looked forward reading this book did I have some trepidation about reading the last book in a series without reading the first two. But it went well, surprisingly well actually. I mean sure there was stuf
Stephen Collins
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's now 2062 we come to the King & what is to happen on Mars .We find out if Charlton Heston 's dam you all to hell comes true or if The monkeys finally sing there Hay Hay with the Money's here we come
The return of Mama from Mars ,Escape from Planet of the Apes & Conquest of the Planet of the Apes the original 70s not ghastly new versions.
He has end it with a wild card crazy twist
Carly
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
~3.5
MONKEY VS MULTIVERSE
Macaque Attack is rather like an episode of Doctor Who, if the Doctor happened to have regenerated into a foul-mouthed, cigar-smoking monkey and the audience level was upgraded from “general” to “mature.” It’s definitely channeling a certain amount of Russell T. Davies. Cybermen? Check. Invasions from other planets? Check. Jumping between parallel worlds and meeting one’s alternate selves? Checkity check check check. I just kept waiting for the daleks to show up.

But inste
Matt Zitron
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ack-Ack Macaque is BACK! The third in Gareth Powell's Simian Sci Fiction series hits and once again it doesn't disappoint.

In fact much like the previous books this again manages to pull the rug out from under the reader's feet. All your preconceptions of this world as skewed and it'll be interesting to see if he does anything further set in this world.

What Powell does here is take his relatively cute concept of a mouthy, violent, anti-hero Monkey and turn it into a deep and rich scifi epic.

I don
Luke Walker
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolute blast that mixes OTT action with some big ideas about reality, the multiverse and what makes us human/family. Loved all three books.
Paul
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ade Couper
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Neil Gaiman once wrote in an introduction to a book of short stories he was editing, that the 4 words authors want to hear from readers are "and then what happened?" This is a question I asked at the end of this, frankly wonderful book.

Macaque Attack is the end of the Ack-Ack Macaque trilogy, and also ties up some points from Gareth's earlier novel "the recollection" (you do not need to have read that 1st, as everything you need to know is in this book- but do go & read the recollection, sim
Jennifer Linsky
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
The first of these books was a fun romp, but as the series went on, it got more serious and became something of a grind, until I reached the point where I honestly didn't care what happened to any of the characters.
Joanne Hall
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jane
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Coming to Macaque Attack, I thought I knew what to expect. Monkey action: violence, mayhem, rum, cigars and explosions, I was not disappointed. In each installment Gareth L. Powell has expanded his vision and just when I thought he could not make this series anymore epic he changes the game in such a way that it left me punching the air and swearing. Yes that good.

What I love about this book is the questions that it poses. This book and indeed the whole trilogy have been about what it means to b
Stephen Blake
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed all three of the Ack Ack Macaque books.

At the helm of an airship capable of travelling to parallel versions of our world Ack Ack sets out to rescue all of the other monkeys experimented on. That's right - he's got an army. You can't help but love the gorilla who wears camouflage shorts and sunglasses called Cuddles.

As in the previous books it is also the French heroine Victoria Valois who is front and centre just as much as the monkey. She is a great character. Damaged, strong,pass
Richard Eyres
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook_2017
This series has somewhat lost its way a little in my opinion. Had some great moments, but these were out weighed by a number of poorer areas. Hopefully it will stop there, but i doubt it as there are still areas of the story that have not been completed. If there is another book, i will wait for some reviews from people i trust before i proceed with the book.
Jo
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant conclusion to this brave, innovative and bonkers series. It drew me in from the very start and ended up in a place that I would never have guessed at! Like nothing I've ever read 💜💜💜
Mark
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
Originally published at SFFWorld.

Macaque Attack is the concluding volume in Gareth L Powell’s Macaque Trilogy. The first novel, Ack-Ack Macaque, was the joint recipient of the BSFA award for best novel in 2013, while its sequel, Hive Monkey, was released in 2014. I enjoyed the first two novels immensely, with Ack-Ack Macaque being a complete surprise when I read it early last year. Hive Monkey continued the adventures of Ack-Ack Macaque and the gang, introducing new elements that further expande
Jeff Raymond
In what has become a sort of holiday tradition, we have a new book in Gareth Powell's Ack-Ack Macaque series this winter. I liked the first one and thought the second one was okay, but how about the third and final?

I wasn't sure what I'd think about the third one given my relative ambivalence about the second. Macaque Attack is the logical conclusion of the results of Hive Monkey, with plenty of monkey clones and some further universe bending that we've come to expect from the series. As the wor
Clare O'Beara
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: europe, steampunk
I believe readers who are up to date on the earlier two parts will give this a better mark. There's a lot going on - steampunk, alternate dimensions, cyborgs, artificially sentient simians, hive minds, preserved personas of the dead, alternate history, arch-enemies. If I'd read a buildup during the earlier books I am sure I'd be a lot happier with the mix, but I tended to think that too much was being thrown at the reader at once.

A monkey who was created as a Spitfire pilot and later helped to
Hisham El-far
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HOLY MONKEY MERDE!

Ok. Make sure you read The Recollection first BEFORE reading Macaque Attack. You will enjoy this novel more If you have read The Recollection.

In this, the third Ack-Ack novel, Gareth L. Powell has taken what you think you know about the universe(s) contained in these books, and inspired by some less widely known scientific theories put out by scientists - TURNS EVERYTHING upside-down!

(view spoiler)
Erik Smith
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everyone (who survived the second book) is back for more madcap monkey mayhem. While Ack-Ack Macaque and Victoria Valois hop across dimensions, trying to save as many monkeys as they can, Earth Prime (That's what I'm calling it.) is being invaded by two different factions. What else do you need to know?
Well, Gareth L. Powell continues to impress with fantastic characterization and thrilling action. Even as everyone is moving forward, they are still dealing with the events of the previous books.
Fantasy Literature
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
For the first two books in Gareth L. Powell’s MACAQUE series, I felt like I was standing in the center of a seesaw or teeter-totter, trying to hold the plank level and balanced. With the third book, Macaque Attack, the totter tipped and threw me off. I can no longer maintain the suspension of disbelief needed to enjoy these adventures.

This review may contain spoilers of all three books, so be warned.

In Macaque Attack, Merovech, King of Great Britain and France, is back. Merovech was refreshingly
Gavin Gates
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ack-Ack is by far the coolest character on paper, this much is a fact, Gareth L. Powell is the business, this much was proven in the two novels that came before this one. Those two were absolutely exceptional and book three does not disappoint. Again, FACT.
Picking up at as fast a pace as you could possibly hope for the monkey madness goes off on full swing and never lets up with dissent rising in Ack-Ack’s gathered army, threat coming in from another timeline, and an asteroid making it’s way do
Tim Elliott
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the third in the Ack Ack Macaque series and it is as awesome as the last two . I cannot recommend this one enough . Gareth Powell makes a world where a cigar smoking monkey is the main character so much fun . The team of heroes faces its most daunting task yet and I kept expecting the dreaded third act curse but no such thing . The story was amazing the action non stop and everything about the book shined with an out of this world flavor that could not be beat . Gareth Powell created a w ...more
Bill
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Luckily, I had read Powell's 'The Recollection' the previous month and it was still fresh in my mind, otherwise the characters introduced in part two of this book (and onward) might have seemed more random than it already did. That early novel focused on Kat, Ed, the Ameline, and the Recollection that proved to be the entire backstory for their sudden inclusion in the Ack-Ack trilogy. It might be helpful to look this book up to understand more of what was happening in the 2nd half of 'Macaque At ...more
Phil
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Final installment of the Macaque trilogy and Gareth trows everything at you including the kitchen sink. Action and adventure from the get go as the world saving one-eyed hard drinking monkey Ack Ack Macaque is once again called on to step up to the plate and kick some serious ass. The when you're comfortably set for the big push and violent endgame Gareth throws in a curve ball that I did not see coming that blows everything that has come before out of the water.

Brilliant ending to a fantastic s
Dan
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The monkey is back, and this time with a touch of added pathos as Ack Ack Macaque tries to come to terms with the inevitability of ageing, and the prospect of impending fatherhood. It's not all touchy feely though, there's still plenty of shit getting blown up. As much fun as the previous three books. Hang on, you say, I thought this was the third book. Mmmmm. Read it and find out what I mean!
Jeff
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the Ack-Ack Macaque trilogy and I have to admit I am sorry to see it end. I loved the whole trilogy and got rather attached to the characters.

I don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil it for everyone, but there are some interesting twists and turns here and I think this final entry is nothing short of brilliant.
Jeff
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
It's hard to say much about this book without major spoilers.

Let's just say, perhaps, that it's a fitting sequel containing a significant twist or two. Very significant twists.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Need I say more?
Steve Fenton
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Each book in this collection has managed to ratchet up the stakes with a big revelation. This final episode is a giant Ouroboros, chomping greedily on the tail of the original Ack Ack Macaque book. I have no recollection of reading a more enjoyable trilogy*.

(* trilogy-and-a-bit).
Crystal Riley Koenig
It annoys me that major plot points hinge on Ack-Ack having a prehensile tail, because macaques don't have prehensile tails.
Chris
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally finished it! Took me far longer than I wanted, but I enjoyed it. I need more tales of "Ack-Ack Macaque" Three just isn't enough!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gareth L. Powell is an award-winning author from the UK. His alternate history thriller, Ack-Ack Macaque won the 2013 BSFA Award for Best Novel, spawned two sequels, and was shortlisted in the Best Translated Novel category for the 2016 Seiun Awards in Japan. His short fiction has appeared in a host of magazines and anthologies, including Interzone, Solaris Rising 3, and The Year’s Best Science Fi ...more

Ack-Ack Macaque (3 books)
  • Ack-Ack Macaque (Ack-Ack Macaque, #1)
  • Hive Monkey (Ack-Ack Macaque, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“Her fusion reactor came online, generating power for the jump engines. Deep in her belly, the engines began to spin up until the old ship felt she could leap the length of the universe in a single orgasmic bound.” 0 likes
“And here she was on a parallel timeline, in a possibly radioactive dystopia, searching for her best friend—a rude, violent, ungrateful monkey, who smelled like a wet dog and drank like a fish — with only the electronic projection of her dead husband for company.” 0 likes