Start by marking “The Martian” as Want to Read:

The Martian

(The Martian #1)

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  720,195 ratings  ·  69,678 reviews
I'm stranded on Mars.

I have no way to communicate with Earth.

I'm in a Habitat designed to last 31 days.

If the Oxygenator breaks down, I'll suffocate. If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I'll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I'll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I'll eventually run out of food and starve to death.<
Kindle Edition, Movie Tie-In Edition, 369 pages
Published February 13th 2014 by Ebury Digital (first published September 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Martian, please sign up.
Josh Check out the talk Weir gave at Google here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMfuL....

In it, he mentions that he didn't have any contact with NASA until after publication, and that basically everything (math, science, etc.) he checked himself. He shows off a program he wrote to compute the orbital dynamics simulations in the talk. The major inaccuracy (of which there were few!) he pointed out was that the storm which set the whole plot in motion wouldn't actually have done much to push objects around (the atmosphere on Mars is really thin). Apparently he's just a space history/science enthusiast who did all the research into NASA history himself!(less)
Ryanryansorensen.com No sex but sex is implied in two cases, both in one short sentence. My 15 year old and I read it at the same time, and I didn't have any cringe…moreNo sex but sex is implied in two cases, both in one short sentence. My 15 year old and I read it at the same time, and I didn't have any cringe moments.

My eleven year old daughter wants to read it, and I'm going to allow it. (less)

·  720,195 ratings  ·  69,678 reviews

Start your review of The Martian
Will Byrnes
I’m pretty much fucked.
Ok, show of hands. How many of you have uttered these exact words? (or words to that effect). Not everyone? I see we have some liars out there. How many have said them at least twice? Three times? Four? Those with hands still up, you probably need to make some adjustments to your approach, find a safer line of work, hobbies that do not entail long drops, stop trying the weekly specials at McBlowfish, or seek out people to date who are into less extreme…um…sports. These are the
Davy-Gravy
Unpopular opinion time: I don't like how this book is written. Watney's journals read like a nerdy blog rather than a dramatic survivor's diary. It's hard to find something harrowing and traumatic when the protagonist is saying "yay!" a lot and making incessant corny puns. "3.6 pirate-ninjas!" "Yay oxygen!" "Lol gay probe lol!!!!!1!" "Bad rover, no Scooby snack!!!111!" "LOL craaaaaaap!!1!" For me, those aren't funny, they're almost embarrassing.

No matter what horrible thing is happen
Emily May
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2015
First off, welcome to 2015!

Let's kick this year off with a review of a book about a guy who deserves to survive more than anyone I've ever known. This book has been lurking around in my Goodreads feed, gaining hype, and all the positive reviews from my friends eventually got too much for me - so I had to check this out for myself. I'm glad I gave in.

The Martian has so many
Althea Ann
'Crap! My astronaut crewmates accidentally left me behind on Mars! I'm fucked! I'm going to die! Oh wait! I just thought of something highly logically unlikely and technically complicated, that I am sure to pull off without a hitch, because did I mention that I am Plucky and Ingenious? It sure is a good thing that I am super-talented! Yay! That worked! I'm not dead! [Next chapter] But wait! Disaster has struck! Shit happens, when you're stuck alone on Mars. Whatever shall I do? OMG, I just had a ...more
Rick Riordan
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adult science thriller.

Love it, love it! A meticulously researched, briskly paced and surprisingly funny story about an astronaut left behind on Mars, presumed dead, who must now figure out how to survive and let the folks back on Earth know he is alive and needs rescue. This is hard-science science fiction. Parts of it read like really complicated (but amusing) word problems, juggling mass and time and weight, etc. But all of that adds to the realism. You can tell Andy Weir loves h
Wil Wheaton
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I have never wanted so badly for the characters in a book to be real. I want to meet them all the way I want to meet the president, or Taylor Swift.

This story is perfectly told. It is perfectly paced, it is brilliantly written, it is beautifully crafted.

Andy Weir does this incredible thing where he make the reader feel the isolation that Mark Wagner feels, and he does it so subtly, we don't even realize that he's doing it until it's done.

The Martian completely cap
Sasha Alsberg
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I go so emotional at the end, so good!
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I'm so happy that I randomly decided to pick this book up! I did find that the story dragged a bit towards the end and some of things went over my head a little bit, but for the most part this was a fantastic read!
Jeffrey Keeten
karen
i have finally seen the movie, so i added some notes at the bottom.

this book is basically just a really long SAT question. and i so hope the movie is just matt damon sitting at a table doing equations for two and a half hours.

oh but first, as promised, here are the photos of me being an astronaut this past weekend.

photo IMG_9830_zpsno56bdrb.jpg

zooooom!

photo IMG_9836_zpsmff8ijns.jpg

i am orbiting the eeeeeeaaaarttthh!!

photo IMG_9830_zpsno56bdrb.jpg

zooooom!

photo IMG_9836_zpsmff8ijns.jpg

i am orbiting the eeeeeeaaaarttthh!!

photo IMG_9837_zps9wyqsesw.jpg

i did a really good job at astronauting and i didn't need to do math even once! (although i started experiencing cramped space-madness after about 6 hours, so i doubt i'm going to mars anytime soon.)

so many people i know LOVED this book. and so many people i know HATED this book. and as is usually the case with rabidly divisive books, i find myself smack in the middle, perplexed (but pleased) by the passion on both sides. it's a fine book - a pretty good balance of things i enjoyed and things i enjoyed less.

things i enjoyed less:

the reason i don't read a lot of sci-fi is because my grasp on sci is pretty slippery. and this book is one long celebration of math and chemistry and physics and etc. and also airlocks. i don't like airlocks. which is a weird thing to not like, i suppose, but the same way Moby-Dick; or, The Whale bored me when melville fangirled over rope for a million pages, this one izza lotta descriptions of spacecraft bits and the mechanics of airlocks and stuff that's wicked important if you are being an astronaut but is boring to me reading about it and i totally glazed over whenever anything had to be secured onto an airlock and depressurized.

but what's really frustrating is that for all the attention to detail/accuracy when it came to the math (i assume/i trust), the book's pretty flippant with the psychology. watney is all relentless optimism and unflagging "can do" attitude and dick jokes, with very few signs of depression or fear that isn't phrased in the form of a joke. weir tried to blanket over this "lack of meltdown" with that brief mention that watney is the class clown whose jokiness becomes heightened under stress, but seriously - there are more tears in any given episode of project runway than in this book about a man abandoned on mars and left completely alone for 2 years facing ever-escalating dangers and setbacks.

and the writing is definitely problematic. there is so much repetition, and so many times watney starts off a paragraph with "remember" as in "remember when i mentioned this-and-that?? well, now it is coming back into play in this situation razzmatazz!" it's not great for narrative flow, and it's a little insulting to assume your readership can't remember things that happened during the course of the book. and this tic is doubly perplexing when you "remember" (remember???) that watney's entries are ostensibly directed at other astronauts/scientists who wouldn't need science explained to them, and certainly wouldn't need the prod to remember it.

the ending is bad and too abrupt. there's not much else to say about that.

but there are also things i enjoyed:

i love survival books, so all the high-stakes DIY macgyver "lemme fix it with glue!" stuff was entertaining, when it didn't require me to recall stuff i learned failed to learn in high school. i also love lateral thinking puzzles, so i appreciated watney's process of arriving at unconventional solutions to problems i will never face. bonus points for when the fix was some unpretty punk rock janked-up solution, especially when it freaked out the scientists on the ground. and i like watney's blithe attitude - to a point -

To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it's "Tuesday."

i preferred it when he was being cowboy-practical to when weir was forcing the humor. which - i know a lot of readers have a problem with the quality of the humor, but as someone who says "that's what she said" pretty often daily, the juvenile nature of the humor didn't bother me, and i did giggle at his consumer review of his laptop:

Brought product to surface of Mars. It stopped working. 0/10.

but it just felt like wherever weir could stick a joke, he'd stick a joke, and it became over-bedazzled with humor. although, considering this book treats watney's situation as reality t.v. for those still on the ground, and reality t.v. tends to amplify its participants with "must be entertaining at all times" fervor, this isn't entirely inappropriate after all.

another frustration i had was how much i enjoyed all the stuff that was happening on the ground and in the Hermes. it was much more interesting than equation-boy and his boob-doodling, and it was better-written: the humor was more successfully integrated, the characters were more convincingly human, and that's frustrating because it shows he can do it. so that's a "thing i enjoyed" buried under a complaint, i guess. but i did genuinely enjoy all the non-mars scenes, and when it would cut back to watney, i would groan like it was a bran chapter in ASOIAF.

so that's me: middle-of-the-road karen who sees the book's flaws, but mostly enjoyed reading it.

tl;dr: a fun book interrupted by math.

***********************************************************

so, i saw the movie a couple of days ago, and i can finally weigh in on a comparison of the two. i'm definitely glad i read the book first, but at the end of the day, i'm not sure if there's an answer about which is "better."

book wins:

some of my favorite harrowing "OH NO" moments from the book did not make it into the movie (like that sudden realization which sends him scurrying outside for a long time), and also some of my favorite solutions were absent (hair). and while there were way fewer perilous moments in the movie, there was a zillion times more emotional response to the problems that did occur. which is points for realism, but watching people cry or otherwise emote on the big screen is as boring and time-wasting as reading about math, so one negates the other. but overall, the most interesting stuff got cut from the movie - stuff on mars, stuff on hermes, stuff on ground, etc.

movie wins:

having a montage to look at while math goes on and on in a voice-over is way more interesting than me kidding myself reading the math paragraphs several times like suddenly i'm gonna get it. also, matt damon delivers the jokey bits in a way that seems natural, and there are fewer jokes overall. (although in some cases, they cut the wrong ones. #aquaman) and i guess that iron man scene. that was pretty cool.

so it's kind of a tie. the movie is basically the cliffs notes version of the book - it gives you the basic gist of it, but you'll miss out on some really great scenes if you are like "book??? too boring tl;dr." and if you just read the book you won't get to see the airlocks in all their glory.

***********************************************************

i want to see this movie, but i know it'll kill my motivation to read the book, so it looks like this puppy is gonna have to be my airplane book this weekend. as a bonus, with my window seat i can pretend that i am an astronaut myself, albeit a really incompetent one.

i apologize to my seatmates in advance.

photo IMG_9807_zpsm0xqu7vk.jpg

book - check
astronaut ice cream pellets - check

and off we go!

come to my blog!
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This is by far my favorite (and most listened to!) audiobook.

If you're still thinking about reading it, just do it.

If you're in a slump, just do it.

If you've seen the movie and aren't sure if it's still worth the read, just do it.

You won't regret it!

Stepheny
Thank god that's over.

Everyone has been talking about The Martian. And I literally mean everyone. Since the moment I saw the cover and the raving reviews I knew I had to pick it up. There’s a reason people are talking about this book.

I just don’t fucking get it.

I think I am the only person on GR to give this pile a one star rating. I’m ok with that. This is a classic case of- it’s not you, it’s me.

I wanted desperately to fit in with the Goodreads community and love the shit ou
Raeleen Lemay
*4.5*

Well, that was a journey.

I started this book in March, and put it down with no intentions of ever picking it back up. Skip forward to early October when I saw the movie (twice), and then immediately went out and bought another copy of the book (yeah, I was so sure last time that I gave it away. YEAH). FINALLY, I read the book. And it was awesome.

I had to dock a half star for the tiny reason that originally caused me to DNF the book: the writing can be a bit irritati
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I’m stranded on Mars. I have no way to communicate with Hermes or Earth. Everyone thinks I’m dead. I’m in a Hab designed to last 31 days.

If the Oxygenator breaks down, I’ll suffocate. If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I’ll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I’ll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I’ll eventually run out of food and starve to death.

So yeah. I’m fucked.
If you think about it, Robinson Crusoe is kind of a whiny pussy, I say, while sitting in my plush computer chair, with a bar of 72% da
Nataliya
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2014-reads
Sometimes I'm lucky enough to come across a book that makes me go all Whee-heeee! with the sincerest glee rivaling that of over-sugared-up kids about to open Christmas gifts.
“I can't wait till I have grandchildren. “When I was younger, I had to walk to the rim of a crater. Uphill! In an EVA suit! On Mars, ya little shit! Ya hear me? Mars!”
A book that makes me willingly turn my chronically sleep-deprived state into the acutely sleep-deprived one as I battle somnolence at 4 a.m. so that I can read just *one more* chapgifts.
Beverley
If The Martian isn't a million dollar blockbuster in the next 5 years, Hollywood have missed a treat. I read the entire thing in one sitting, making it probably the best way to pass 8 hours that I can think of. Maybe it helps that I came to the book with no expectations, except the hope that I might get my next 'fix' for my inner space geek.

Well, what a fix! The story is a fast-paced, compelling adventure across Mars and offered everything I wanted and more. I was behind Mark Watney the whole w
Navessa
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If The Martian was marketed as a prescription drug…

Every year, thousands of critical readers around the globe roll their eyes in frustration at the science fails they find within their favorite fiction genres.

Extreme cases of literary frankenscience carry the risk of full-blown ocular gymnastics on the part of the reader. As a result, serious injury has been reported, to include corneal abrasions, iritis, and sprains of the lateral and medial rectus muscles.

Luckily, there is
Carmen
Feb 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Engineers
How can I say this to you? This is one of the most boring books I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

I was really looking forward to reading this book. Everyone was so enthusiastic about it. I was saving it for myself as a little treat.

By page 27 I knew I was in trouble.

Here's the book:

LOG ENTRY:
I'm fucked.

Oh, wait! I have an idea!

Science, science science. Then if I science science science, science.

Grea
Alejandro
Mission Control to Reviewer One...

Reviewer One, here. Go ahead, Mission Control...

Lift off minus fifteen. Final Systems Check...

Roger, Mission Control...

Characters... Go...

Story... Go...

Style... Go...

Overall Reading Experience... Go...

Roger, Reviewer One. All Systems are Go. Iniating Countdown.

Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four! Three! Two!...

One! Lift off! We have a lift off!...

Welcome to CNN's Reviewer One Report. Presented to you thanks to the sponsorship of "The Martian"'s Quotes...

No plan survives first contact with implementation.

CNN: In your words, please tell us what do you think abo/>/>Welcome/>One!/>Ten!/>Roger,/>Overall/>/>/>/>Roger,/>Lift/>Reviewer
Anne
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2015
Has anyone not heard of this book yet?
I see one hand up there towards the back! You! Yes, the one next to the potted fern.
Ok. Well, then this review is for you. Everyone else, feel free to hit the buffet!
Pile your plate high! I've been trying to get rid of that seafood salad for a few days...

Does The Martian really need one more glowing review?
No. No, it does not.
But I'm going to do it anyway. Because even though I'm the last person on the planet to read this one, I still feel the need to put in my two cents worth.

So this is set in thedays...
Doesbuffet!
Pile
Thomas
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
How many exclamation points can you shove into one book?

Time to start off 2015 with an unpopular opinion: I did not like how Andy Weir wrote The Martian. He writes science well, and his background in research and technical prose shows, but by page 100 the style of the book got repetitive. Watney discovers a problem. Watney worries for a sentence or two. Watney comes up with a solution. Watney enacts the solution with minimal struggle. Watney celebrates. Rinse and repeat.

I also have no id
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars This book is nothing short of spectacular. It is insanely well-researched, and it's impossible not to be charmed by Mark Watney's hilarious sense of humor, or jeez-MY-brain-is-filled-with-absolutely-useless-information-impressed by his smarts, ingenuity, and spirit.

I will say that after a few chapters, I started skimming some of the more technical parts of what he was doing to survive. I normally love this stuff, and certainly I absolutely DID enjoy much of what was here and sincerely appreciated the amount of research and experimentation that we
jessica
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in honour and respect of the recent news that NASA rover, opportunity, has been officially declared dead after 14 years of being on mars, i finally wrote a review for this book. too soon? lol.

i actually really enjoyed this story, a lot more than i thought i would. i was convinced the hype was going to be misleading, but i was so pleased to find out it wasnt.

knowing absolutely nothing about planetary science, physics or botany, i have no idea if this story is plausible, or even accurate in the
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Shelves: read-2014, favorites
Mark Watney. I just can't even tell you how much I love this character. I think he may just be on the list of my favorite male characters ever. The dude is stranded on Mars..with no one. Does he cry? Well, only sometimes. Does he fight against the planet from hell? Heck yes!

Everywhere I go, I'm the first. Step outside the rover? First guy to every be there! Climb a hill? First guy to climb that hill! Kick a rock? That rock hadn't moved in a million years!

I did get lost in some of the science of this book..but who cares? I might have learned something. If I ever get trapped on Mars I would probably die in 2.5 seconds. I do have confirmation on something that my husband tells me constantly. Duct tape fixes everything!

Mark Watney is full of snark and is probably the smartest character I've even had the pleasure of reading in a novel. He does find himself trapped with Disco music and bad seventies TV. One of the comments he makes is that women don't line up for botanist/nerds.

Dude... start the line behind me please!

Henry Avila
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You are an astronaut, the immensely able, Mark Watney, with a great, glamorous job, until stranded through a freak accident, on the desolate, airless, extremely cold, red deserts of Mars, in the mid 2030's, a powerful dust storm has apparently , killed...the five others in the crew, ( originally four men and two women, including the commander, Melissa Lewis) they barely escape , themselves, with their lives, up into orbit, in a small spacecraft, rejoining the massive, very expensive, Hermes vess ...more
Julio Genao
dan brown syndrome.

description

which is to say, this guy has a knack for a compelling idea, but his writing is...

hoo, boy.

just... brutal.

no soul.

no poetry.

all the verve of a dead body.

or a software engineer...

description

just kidding, my gorgeous software-engineer-buddies: i was teasing the author, who is one of you, not you in particular or, y'know, in general, please don't hex my laptop because you are my everything, all i want for christmas is y
Trudi

This whole book left me stupid happy and deliriously impressed and I spent most of my time declaring:

Jesse would have loved Mark Watney. I love Mark Watney. He's super smart but not just in a poindexter nerd alert bookish kind of way. Watney's got some serious problem solving skills; he's McGyver in a space suit. Give this guy a toothpick, some tinfoil and a ziplock bag and he'll build you an airplane. But don't forget the duct tape. Duc
Steph Sinclair
There isn't anything inherently wrong with The Martian, but, look, that was a lot of fucking math.

When I was a kid still in the "oh god what will I do as a career when I'm a grownup?!" phase, I had the brilliant idea that maybe I'd be a mathematician. The Martian has just reminded me why that was a shitty idea. I love sci-fi and I'm super fascinated with space, but yeah, this one didn't particularly spark anything in me. It didn't leave me hungering for the next page. It was just another audioboo
Justin
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, here goes nothing.....

This is not a good book.

I tried. I really, really tried. I wanted to love it at first. Then, I wanted to at least like it. Then, I wanted to at least have something good to say about it since everyone loves it and it's everywhere right now. Maybe it's just the hype, I thought. Maybe things pick up and the story gets better, I hoped. Maybe the book just sucks, I ultimately decided.

Maybe my expectations were off. I guess when I read about how an
Luffy
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Watney is stranded on Mars in the near future. If that makes sense. You all should be familiar with the story by now. Mark's crew thinks he's dead. But though he loses consciousness, he evaulates his chances when he revives.

The book is quite funny. It's also quirky. I know that the author didn't send his manuscript of The Martian to publishers and did not have to deal with rejection like 99% of the writers do. He got incredibly lucky, just as his character Mark did.

I
The Order Of The ...: December 2019 1 1 Nov 15, 2019 08:11AM
Putnam County Pub...: November Book Discussion 1 4 Oct 25, 2019 10:31AM
Do you like straight forward or complex sci fi? 5 103 Jul 18, 2019 09:17PM
We Read Stuff: The Martian - December 2018 ~Spoilers Allowed~ 2 10 May 11, 2019 03:39PM

• Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
  • Foundation (Foundation #1)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • Fahrenheit 451
  • Hunting Harkonnens (Legends of Dune, #0.5)
  • I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • 1984
  • The Time Machine
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
ANDY WEIR built a career as a software engineer until the success of his first published novel, THE MARTIAN, allowed him to live out his dream of writing fulltime. He is a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects such as relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. He also mixes a mean cocktail. He lives in California. Andy’s next book, ARTEMIS, is ...more
“Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.” 1915 likes
“He’s stuck out there. He thinks he’s totally alone and that we all gave up on him. What kind of effect does that have on a man’s psychology?” He turned back to Venkat. “I wonder what he’s thinking right now.”

LOG ENTRY: SOL 61 How come Aquaman can control whales? They’re mammals! Makes no sense.”
1418 likes