Wil Wheaton's Reviews > The Martian

The Martian by Andy Weir

2040005

bookshelves: sci-fi

I have never wanted so badly for the characters in a book to be real. I want to meet them all the way I want to meet the president, or Taylor Swift.

This story is perfectly told. It is perfectly paced, it is brilliantly written, it is beautifully crafted.

Andy Weir does this incredible thing where he make the reader feel the isolation that Mark Wagner feels, and he does it so subtly, we don't even realize that he's doing it until it's done.

The Martian completely captivated me. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next, and I never wanted it to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian.

July 23, 2015 – Started Reading
July 23, 2015 – Shelved
July 23, 2015 – Shelved as: sci-fi
July 23, 2015 –
page 132
35.77% "The only thing that is keeping me from finishing this book is time. I would read it in one sitting, if I could. It's amazing."
July 28, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)

Russell I keep looking at this as a possible read, but another "stuck on planet alone" book just doesn't seem appealing. Review? Thoughts?

Rebecca Just read this and loved it!

Alexandra I was pleasantly surprised. I expected to find it boring but bf wanted to listen to the audio book on our long road trip. It was actually really fun! The audio book was very well done too. A lot funnier than I expected it to be, the main character is very snarkastic.

Anne Russell - it's not really a "stuck on this planet" book. More of a McGyver Journal for how I got by. Was actually quite pleasant and easy to read. Try it.

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam Betts I would never usually read a book like this Will. Having read your review I am adding this to my reading list!

Thom Now go back and listen to the audio version (R.C. Bray narrator). He absolutely nails it!

Loren Best science fiction novel of 2015

James Agree 100% with Thom-- R.C. Bray is spectacular.

Chris Going to go back and listen to it again before the movie comes out. Great book!

message 10: by Todd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Todd Charlton Agreed Wil. This book is contender for novel of the year. The movie also looks like it might be faithful and really something.

message 11: by Todd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Todd Charlton Although dude the name is Watney not Wagner....

Selena I'm waiting for this to come in at the library. I hear it's very good.

Joyce Provost My comment is that this book was incredibly technical and geeky, and I loved every minute of it!! So good!

Susan Heading back to Costco to get it tomorrow!

Jared Wall Coming from someone who has a pretty decent chance of one day meeting both Taylor Swift and the president, that is high praise.

message 16: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron It's the most unput-downable book I have read in years.

message 17: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt C. This was on my list. Now I REALLY want to read it.

message 18: by J. (new)

J. Henry It was on me list, now ye pushed me over the edge to buy it. Damn you, Wil Wheaton!

message 19: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Crook The audio version as well has a brilliant voice actor (R. C. Bray) who is able to differentiate the characters consistently with use of accents and intonation. So far every medium this is on is superb, lets hope the movie is just as good!

message 20: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Dodson Thought it was just ok. No character development. I didn't know a thing about the protagonist except that he's an effing genius. Didn't know his age, his back story, anything. However it was a great survival story and will make a great movie (hopefully).

Roberta It's a great book and is being made in yo a movie.

Maria Visconti I am still reading but I read the first few lines of your review and couldn't agree more! mark is a guy I want to have a beer with and listen to all his stories, all though I elected to listen to the book and I almost feel like I am right there. The narration is superb!

message 23: by Peg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peg Seay Russell, Read It! You won't be disappointed!

message 24: by Peg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peg Seay Agreed, @Wil
I sure hope the movie does it justice!!

message 25: by Sara Martin (new) - added it

Sara Martin I am hesitant to purchase the book, but all the great reviews have really sparked my interest!

Cecily Maybe it won't end. Given the success of this in book, and doubtless, in due course, movie form, there's bound to be pressure for some sort of sequel, if not a trilogy!

message 27: by embaesongo (new)

embaesongo one bear was called sammy bear

Esmeralda Rupp-Spangle I want to buy Mark Watney a beer and shoot the shit. Your review was pretty much exactly what I thought.

Placeface Funny seeing you here

Wendy I felt exactly the same way about the characters in this book. Spot on review.

Catslyn Russell wrote: "I keep looking at this as a possible read, but another "stuck on planet alone" book just doesn't seem appealing. Review? Thoughts?"

My God, read it. This isn't anything like anything else you've read.

Catslyn I kept having to remind myself that it wasn't real, it wasn't happening, and the people in it were people I could never meet. I felt bereft when it was over.

Linda Eller I'm still reading/ listening but am completely absorb in the story. I hate turning it off. I can hardly wait to see what happens next and how Mark solves the next problem.

Sally Cardella Thank you for recommending this book - I am enjoying it immensely!

message 37: by Peg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peg Seay Catslyn wrote: "Russell wrote: "I keep looking at this as a possible read, but another "stuck on planet alone" book just doesn't seem appealing. Review? Thoughts?"

My God, read it. This isn't anything like anythi..."

Agreed, Catslyn

Patiscynical One of the best books I've read in years. Wonderful.

message 39: by Lynn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn starting this today and hope to get it finished before the movie comes out in a few weeks

Becky Wil, I agree with you except I did want to end for lots of spoiler reasons! I wished for a nice long epilogue or a few more chapters!

message 41: by Jake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jake P I definitely agree with your comment. This is an amazing book with lots of science and space science, and even talks about some current missions and which I love, but some of the humour did not fit with the situation, i doubt anyone stuck on mars will randomly crack out some puns and tell some jokes, even though they are funny i don't think they are necessary.

Rhonda Bridges Loved it!! Only thing missing was an epilogue!!!

Melissa Rininger "Mark Wagner" ??

Roberta It's Watney

Cassandra I loved this book and sooooo glad I read it before the movie is coming out!!

Tracy I'm reading it fast as I can before the movie comes out!

Shell Hunt Your review caught my eye. I'm 25% done with the book and I just teared up with him. Weir knows how to create a character!
I find myself cheering his successes and feeling down about his failures. Mark is there ultimate literary hero

Yasmine "I want to meet them all the way I want to meet the president, or Taylor Swift." Haha, you're awesome. I couldn't put it down, and didn't want it to end either. So many LOL moments. Too good.

message 49: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Dawson Perfectly crafted, huh? Sure, if you can get around that fact that extreme isolation should have broken Mark's psyche, but no, that doesn't happen. Or maybe putting some tension into the problems Mark runs into, but no, he ALWAYS has the solution! All I felt from Mark was poorly timed humor and childish jokes that got old very, very quickly. Sorry, but the only thing "perfect" about this book is just how easily people are suckered into the hype.

message 50: by Peg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peg Seay Matthew wrote: "Perfectly crafted, huh? Sure, if you can get around that fact that extreme isolation should have broken Mark's psyche, but no, that doesn't happen. Or maybe putting some tension into the problems M..."

What hype? I read it well before I even knew there was a movie.

Thanks for the put-down, btw. We can't all be the discerning reader that you are.

« previous 1