Start by marking “Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2)

Ninth Key

(The Mediator #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  36,501 ratings  ·  1,040 reviews
Ghosts ruin everything. Especially your love life.

Everything is going great for Suze. Her new life in California is a whirlwind of parties and excellent hair days. Tad Beaumont, the hottest boy in town, has even asked Suze out on her very first date. Suze is so excited that she's willing to ignore her misgivings about Tad... particularly the fact that he's not Jesse, whose
Published 2005 by Avon Books (first published January 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ninth Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ninth Key

·  36,501 ratings  ·  1,040 reviews

Start your review of Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2)
Cristina Monica

3.5 entertaining stars. I like a sense of story progression from sequel to sequel when I embark into a series. I did not however detect that feeling when reading the second book in The Mediator series. Suze didn’t gain new abilities, she still made reckless moves (trusting one’s instinct is important, but there’s a limit not to cross), her relationships with secondary characters from the first volume didn’t change – or barely so – and the ending to the new ‘‘case’’ left me pretty darn confused a
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

"You can't tell me you've liked being trapped in this room for a hundred and fifty years."
"It hasn't been all bad," he said, with a smile. "Things have picked up recently."

Okayyyy sooooo I wasn't gong to write a review today, but it's going to be a long weekend (WOOT! Bring it on 4th of July!) and I know I will finish at LEAST one book and will need to post about it Tuesday-So I'd rather not get backlogged. Plus-Any chance I get to boast about my Jesse and Suze addiction to get people awar
Norah Una Sumner

Probably the weakest in the series but I had so much fun reading it nevertheless! I really like Meg's writing and she has a special place in my heart. She can write hilarious scenes but sad & relatable ones as well. But she does it in her own special way which I love. I feel like she captures Suze's development as a person (and mediator) fantastically. Oh, and Jesse is cutie as always.
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Rereading this series makes me very nostalgic. I'm not sure if a new reader would enjoy these books, but I'm having a great time reliving my high school reading days. I also love Suze and I'm glad I read about characters like her as a teenager.
Fafa's Book Corner
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Mini review:

I have been a fan of Meg Cabot since I was in high school. When I saw that this series was in my library I read the first book. And man was it fun! Curious about the second book I put it on hold. While yes Ninth Key was still entertaining the first book was better.

The beginning was a little to plot convenient. It was a miscommunication that lead to a lot of consequences. I was hoping that Meg would train a bit more with Father Dom but that didn't happen. Jesse is still a mystery in
Sharon
I enjoyed it. Cozy, cozy read. With humor+mystery+heartwarming moments.

Also, I seriously love the protagonist, Suze. Her thoughts are just so relatable and hilarious.

I think I still like the 1st book better because it had a stronger family and friends theme there. However, it’s nice to see more badassery from the heroine.

4 stars

Things that you might want to know (WARNING: Spoilers below)
Happy/satisfying ending? (view spoiler)
Love triangle? Cheating? An
Maggie ☘
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Just as much fun as the first one, though the plot was weaker. Liked both Suze, Jesse and also Doc. I don't have mich to say about these books. They're certainly compulsively readable, you could easily read each book in one day. Suze is the right mix of sassy, kick ass and likeable. Jesse is swoonworthy. And there's great cast of secondary characters. The paranormal aspect (if I can even call it world building) is really weak, but at the same time this book never pretends to be something it's no ...more
Rhea (Rufus Reads)
Rereading this series after years and gosh, need me more of Jesse <3 cannot wait for Paul to be introduced!!! ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 4/25/17: If I recall correctly, I think this one is my least favorite of the series, but it was still SO GOOD. Like I said before, I don't think I would recommend this series to someone who doesn't already have the nostalgia factor, but I definitely do recommend a re-read if you haven't ever done so. Sooooo much fun
Io705
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Ninth Key (Part Two of the Mediator Series)
Final Response by Iolanthe Brooks
12.24.09

I think Suze is just a confused girl trying to find her way. Only for her it’s even harder. Everyone is pressuring her to do different things, things a girl shouldn’t have to worry about. Her mom pressures her to go on dates, even if it means walking into traps and her mentor, Father Dominic, pressures her to help all these ghosts. If I were Suze, I’d be all confused inside.

Normal girls lean on each other wh
haley
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Mediator series is definitely become one of my favorites. Perhaps it's too soon to say that since I've only read the first two books? But I definitely like it.

So, let's talk about Suze for a minute. This girl is everything I want to be. She's tough. She's sarcastic, and funny. She's relatable. She's just freaking awesome. I would want this girl as a friend. She's just a character I really clicked with. And that is a super rare occurrence.

The thing I like about the Mediator books is you don'
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
I just adore rereading this series. Suze was my hero when I first read this series at 11 years old. And her and Jesse were my first OTP. Love love love.
Cyndi
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book. Our heroine has finally had her first dance with a boy (so what if he doesn’t really know her name). Then he turns up to be connected to her latest ghost. (Ok still cute, so that’s a plus) Then she finds out his Dad is really weird (but rich, so...I was going to say nice car, but not so much) Then she gets her first kiss (ok, he still doesn’t have her name right, but he’s closer)
Yep, things are clicking along pretty good for our heroine, until we add murder and mayhem along with unr
Jess
Well, I immediately checked out book three, so that more or less speaks for itself. These are fun!
Nasty Lady MJ
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This isn't necessary a bad book. But this book and the first book are always difficult for me to get into, compared with the rest of the series. Bryce and Tad are honestly sort of homogenous. At least with Michael (random guy who flirts with Suze in the third book) there's sort of a twist. It's still a decent book though, though I did think it was sort of lame Suze got grounded in the end.

To see review with gif click here.

Original Reading Experience:

I read this in a binge read when I finally g
Marga
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
One word. Jesse.
Lubnaa (Romance Library)
Re-read in 2020 on audio:

I don't know how Meg Cabot does it, but man, this series is just *chef's kiss* and it stands the test of time. Ninth Key pretty much takes place the following week after Shadowland. Just as Suze is beginning to adapt to her new school, a screaming ghost decides to visit her in the middle of the night while she is sleeping. Poor Suze 😂 But hey, at least she's got the hot ghost of Jesse de Silva keeping her company in her bedroom 😉

The plot in this book is bigger than ever
Amy
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
High Stakes the second book in The Mediator series was okay but I think I preferred the first book.

Suzie was a little harsh at times in this book, especially towards her step brothers. She also tried to be funny at times but to me it seemed inappropriate, it just didn't really work for me. It made her seem pretty stupid to be honest. I expected her relationship with Jesse to progress a little in this book but it seems she is at a stand still with him. He saves her a lot but most of the time he
Morgan
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Book 2 = CHECK

This book was just as good as the first. Suze is honing her mediator skills and Jesse is as charming as ever. Not to mention the fabulous sibling rivalry going on. Having four siblings myself, Meg Cabot nailed it right on the head!! Loved every bit of it.

Luckily I had a large car ride today and got to do the majority of the reading of this book myself, and gave the book on tape a rest. Not that I minded the audiobook for Shadowland, but when you get the chance to sit down and read.
Kaisa
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
More Jesse =) I want even moooore Jesse please.
I love that these books are short enough for me to read even when I'm supposed to be reading other things. haha.

You know what was nice about this book? There was a moment where I thought Meg Cabot was gonna throw in the most overused creature in the world into the story, but she didn't! She didn't. And I was thankful for that.
Meh, what can I say... These books are entertaining.
Oda Renate
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The villain in this one is really creepy. Incredibly so.
I do enjoy the Peter Simon scenes(forgot he had a first name,which he probably always had I just never noticed.)
Ahh Tad. ha Tad.
And Jesse moments :D
Delitealex
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable addition to the Mediator series. Suze is back and as feisty as ever. She makes a mistake while trying to help a ghost which gets her mixed up with some other dangerous business. It was a quick fun read I can't wait to continue on with the series.
Kelly
I thought this one was a lot more fun than the first. I like the development of her relationships with Jesse and the stepbrothers. I wish other characters had a little more to do in this novel, like CeeCee and Adam and Father Dominic, but I'm hoping for a return to them in future installments. I'm going to have to get my hands on the rest of these soon!
Gabrielle  (Wishes she had more time to read)
"This was Early-2000s!Gabrielle's least favorite book in the series. She still really enjoyed it."
-2016!Gabrielle

Megan
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 4-star, ya
Original rating: 4 stars
7/2020 reread: 4 stars

I could give a seminar on five easy ways to kick a ghost's butt and not mess up your hair.
Second volume! I managed to forget the plot of this book entirely, for some reason? Which is weird because it's actually quite distinct where its ghosts and mystery are concerned. In this volume, Suze is visited by a distraught spirit begging her to tell "Red" that he didn't kill her. With this limited information, Suze undertakes some amateur sleuthing, wh
Di
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I read a book this fast. This one takes place about a week after the incidents of the first book in this series. Though it's been a while since I read the previous book, it wasn't hard to get back into this series at all. Really enjoyed it and highly recommend if you like Young Adult Paranormal Mysteries.
Cortnee Bollard
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm remembering why I loved these books so much. Suze is the best, even if she does need to think a bit more sometimes - what teenager doesn't. I Def wanted to be her when I first read these.
And JESSE? OMG I forgot how much I love him.
I'm going to breeze through these books this weekend
Anisha
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, contemporary
These books are wild. 3.5 stars.
Reading Vacation
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW

A triple decker review. This is what you end up with when a series is so good that you read the books one right after the other.

In Ninth Key, Suze spends a good part of her time trying to figure out if Tad Beaumont (aka Red) is responsible for a murder. While the interactions between Suze and Tad were nice, I was much more drawn to the scenes with Suze and Jesse. Remember Jesse, he’s the ghost who lives in Suze’s room. Less Red and more Jesse! There are some completely unexpected twists t
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I read the first book a few months ago and I enjoyed it! This isn't a dark ghost story, more of the fun variety, and it has a common plot, but I enjoyed it!

Suz is trying to be semi normal, but the fact that there's a mediator prevents that. Again. This time she's woken by a screaming woman, a ghost, who needs Suz to tell "Red" that he didn't kill her. Suz has no idea who this "Red" is, so she asks around. Turns out "Red" is
Meg Cabot Fan Club: Ninth Key (The Mediator #2) 3 33 Nov 04, 2018 01:04AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot - Reading Ninth Key from December 2nd 2017 16 93 Dec 07, 2017 10:42AM
tad and jesse and suse 18 105 Sep 10, 2014 07:25AM

• Proposal (The Mediator, #6.5)
  • Every Girl's Dream (The Mediator, #3.5)
  • Missing You (1-800-Where-R-You, #5)
  • Safe House (1-800-Where-R-You, #3)
  • Code Name Cassandra (1-800-Where-R-You, #2)
  • Sanctuary (1-800-Where-R-You, #4)
  • When Lightning Strikes (1-800-Where-R-You, #1)
  • Avalon High
  • All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1)
  • Ready or Not (All-American Girl, #2)
  • Jinx
  • Airhead (Airhead, #1)
  • Underworld (Abandon, #2)
  • Teen Idol
  • Being Nikki (Airhead, #2)
  • Vanished: Safe House / Sanctuary (Vanished, #3-4)
  • Nicola and the Viscount
  • Vanished: When Lightning Strikes / Code Name Cassandra (Vanished, #1-2)
A pseudonym of Meg Cabot, under which she wrote the first 4 1-800-Where-R-You books (When Lightning Strikes, Code Name Cassandra, Safe House, and Sanctuary) and the first 4 Mediator books (Shadowland, Ninth Key, Reunion, and Darkest Hour). These 8 books have been re-released under her her real name. ...more

The Mediator (7 books)
  • Shadowland (The Mediator, #1)
  • Reunion (The Mediator, #3)
  • Darkest Hour (The Mediator, #4)
  • Haunted (The Mediator, #5)
  • Twilight (The Mediator, #6)
  • Remembrance (The Mediator, #7)