Start by marking “Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works” as Want to Read:
Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works

Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  4,462 Ratings  ·  578 Reviews
First published in 1995, Intuitive Eating has become the classic book that teaches readers how to rebuild their body image, make peace with food, and find the natural weight that's right for them. This program-developed by two prominent nutritionists-teaches: -How to reject diet mentality forever -How the three Eating Personalities define our eating difficulties -How to ho ...more
Kindle Edition, Third Edition, 369 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Intuitive Eating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intuitive Eating

Amy
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish, wish, wish that every one of my friends who struggles with her weight, thinks she should diet, or who mentally tallies in her mind what she’s eaten that day or that week to determine if she can eat that “cookie” (or whatever) would read this book. Before reading this book, I thought I was an intuitive eater because I lived by the mantra “eat when you’re hungry, stop when you’re full”, but reading this book has brought me a new level of peace with food.

The basic premise of intuitive eati
Thomas
A wonderful book for those who wish to do away with dieting and learn to love food again. As someone who reads a lot about eating disorders and hopes to specialize in eating disorder treatment and prevention, I found Intuitive Eating a well-written reference on how to reject diet mentality, find satisfaction from food, and cope with emotions in ways that do not involve eating. Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch show their expertise by blending their innovative Intuitive Eating program with loads of ...more
Julia
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clinical-work
For my final pre-internship year, I'm going to be working with individuals with eating disorders. I figured I'd try something completely new. When I asked my supervisor what books she'd recommend as introductory readings, "Intuitive Eating" is where she sent me, telling me that it's the only self-help nutrition book out there that she not only tolerates, but actually likes. In short: her assessment is spot-on.

People ask me for book recommendations fairly often (and I'm only a grad student, so I
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

While I think overall, this and "Mindful Eating" are probably the best ways to care for one's health, this book was hugely repetitive and pretty obvious for anyone who's spent any amount of time trying to lose weight.

The Non-Diet Diet

+ Pay attention to when you are hungry and full. Only eat when you are hungry. Don't eat until you are stuffed.

+ Don't diet. Plan on eating this way for the rest of your life and shelve that mentality of eating a certain way for 6 weeks to drop 20 poun
Kate LaChapelle
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, no seriously, everyone should read it
Shelves: own
I started reading this book the other day and while it has only been a few days, I can see how much its ideas are transforming my life. Since I was a young girl I have struggled with body image, food issues, and disordered eating and my struggle has only gotten more difficult and more pronounced as I've gotten older, this book feels like it's the remedy I've been waiting for.

I hate diets. They don't work and only serve to exacerbate my disordered eating and my unhealthy relationship with my body
Jo Lisa
This is actually my 2nd reading of this book.. I read it in 2015 as well. While I know that the 10 Principles are extremely valuable, it is so hard to change decades of food fear and disordered eating! I am working really hard toward intuitive eating. I have found that I go through phases of how I feel about food. This has always been true, but recently I find that my phases can change several times a day! It scares me as a recovering anorexic. My only option is to work one day at a time.
Jezzyka
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hmm... Sigh...

This is, essentially, the way to eat. A lot of people do, naturally, it's not like a special, new-age restrictive idea. But for many of us, who see "Drop a Pant Size in 2 Weeks" and constant headlines on the obesity crisis, we can't help but be affected, to feel that something is wrong with us and we have to be perfect. PERFECT. We have to look like this-- on top of being this, acting like this, and anything less means that something is wrong. We don't have enough "will-power".

Not
Jen V
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now that it's been almost 7 years since first being introduced to Intuitive Eating I can honestly say the concepts in this book actually really did change my life and allowed me to "make peace with food". I think I have the first edition (there are now 4) which although the writing is a little (okay a lot) hoakie the concepts are priceless. I do have to say I initially read this book as part of coursework while studying nutrition at USU so I never had the experience of picking it up and just rea ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I greatly enjoyed this insightful, if slightly overselling explanation of intuitive eating, the authors' working method in the field of nutrition. Their approach is empowering and practical, and unique in the field. I believe that many, many people who struggle or have struggled with food will find something of value in this, whether you use parts of their ideas to supplement your relationship to food or commit to their complete process.

First, an example. A couple months ago, I sat with a half-e
Michelle Curie
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, science
"Bread is fattening, sweets are bad for you and no, I really shouldn't have a slice of cake, I've eaten so much already!" Who hasn't heard something like this before? It's funny to think about it, because with all that food and knowledge available to us, shouldn't eating be one of the easiest things to do? Objectively speaking it requires nothing more than following a basic instinct. But let's be honest, we all know it's a much trickier subject.

Intuitive Eating gets rid of the diet mentality and
Kathy
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across a mention of this book on a blog and thought it sounded interesting. It's about losing the diet mentality and having a healthy relationship with food and our bodies. The book is geared toward chronic dieters, which I am not. I don't think I've ever seriously dieted. Sometimes I'll focus on smaller portions or eating healthier, but I'm not about denying myself foods or counting calories. If I'm hungry I eat. Even though it's not written with me in mind so much, I got some useful and ...more
Tara
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tara by: Anna Guest-Jelley
Shelves: 2013, health
I love what this book is saying, but it is VERY 80s-feeling.
The gist of the "program" - eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full, and stop guilting yourself when you eat what you TRULY want.
I think modern studies about the addict-ability of processed foods makes this slightly less factual. The authors claim the reason you overeat is because you've either been starving yourself, or you're planning to starve yourself, or you're thinking "oh well! I've already had one! Everything is ruined!"
Laura Tremaine
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic and such an important topic that covers a wide range of food issues (we all have them). I feel like I’ve been hypnotized by the concepts presented here, in the most positive, affirming way. I want to recommend this to every single woman I know.
Sarah Sniderman
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intuitive Eating already provides an excellent summary as appendix to the book and very worthwhile details including the science behind intuitive eating. However, as per usual, I’ve taken notes for my own reference and, of course, I’d like to share. Note many sentences are word-for-word, I’ve simply condensed it to the main parts.

Principle 1: Reject the Diet Mentality

Get angry at the lies that have led you to feel as if you were a failure every time a new diet stopped working and you gained back
Kimberly Read
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate dieting. I detest counting calories or fat grams or carbs. I already find it difficult to squeeze grocery shopping into my hectic schedule so just the thought of adding any more time going label by label through the store, makes me seriously cranky. The minute I add a diet to my intentions, I find myself anxiously binging on my favorite foods in anticipation of their loss. And a few days into any diet, I swear I would mug a Girl Scout for her cookies! However, I am quite overweight (we ca ...more
Natalia
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite non-fiction books I've ever read! I think everyone should read this!
FULL REVIEW ON BLOG - https://boookishvegan.wordpress.com/2...

MY FULL REVIEW:
Please read this book if you have body image issues or struggle with dieting and loving your body! I wish I picked it up sooner as it is just an impactful and important read that has become a favourite read of mine this year.

Now I never thought I would say I am on a ‘diet’ but seeing everything that they mention is technically a ‘die
Laurie
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has completely changed the way I eat. I have always considered myself a positive, upbeat person who is kind and loving to everyone including myself. This book showed me how I was denying myself food and torturing myself every time I ate. I was not being kind to me.

No more dieting. No more denying myself food because it is "not good for me". It is just like she says in the book --if you tell a child they can play with any toy in the room but the pink elephant, the pink elephant is the o
Rachelle
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to read this book, mainly because I read it very slowly so that I could absorb all of the concepts. This book is all about making peace with food and with the body you have. It is not another diet book; in fact, the main theme of the book is the necessity of rejecting the "diet mentality" once and for all. The authors point out that almost all diets eventually fail, and most people chastise themselves for not having the “willpower” or “self-control” to be successful on a d ...more
Mindy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is tired of the dieting game and wants to eat in a healthy manner
I debated entering this here, as this is more about my eating issues than literature. But hey - it was a book I read and ill likely read again soon, so I added it.

It's basically about reteaching ourselves to eat when we're hungry, and to eat what we want. Sounds simple, but I find I really have to think about it and not just eat because it's 9AM or Noon, etc.

It's also about eating "real food." I'm no longer fixating on low-sugar, low-calorie, fat-free stuff. I'd rather eat creamy vanilla yogurt
Lizzie Jones
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is actually excellent. I picked it up on a whim, interested due to a review of a friend of mine. I wasn't looking for a health book, I wasn't interested in changing my entire mindset on eating and food.... but this book has really shifted my view in so many ways. What the author is saying actually makes perfect sense. She has enough fact to back up her claims that I actually started doing some research and found out that not only are her claims grounded and credible, but they might be ...more
Jennyross76
Okay, I'm on the last chapter, but people keep friending me on here and I figured I should update. LOL! I think this book is very interesting. Mostly because I know several people who believe that cutting out desserts or starting a new fad diet is the best way to lose pounds. And it might be...until you start eating the way you did prior to the diet. I've said for a long time that I do not want to be in a position where I have to turn down a piece of cake because I "can't" eat it. I want to turn ...more
Lolene
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written for and about me. I publicly acknowledge that I have been addicted to diets since the age of ten. If you know me, you know that dieting has NOT worked for me...except to make me fatter. This book is all about giving up dieting and finally making peace with food. Food is not the enemy. Lack of willpower, guilt, self-hatred, etc. are not characteristics that need to dog everyone's footsteps forever. This book was a revelation to me...I saw myself on every page. I underlined, ...more
Iris
I feel convinced to try intuitive eating and I feel more prepared to do so, having read this book.

That said, this was written in the mid-90s and really shows it. I would love an updated book that has fat acceptance and health at every size principles at its core, rather than as asides. I want an overtly feminist version of this book, too.

I think we know more about nutrition now, and the specific fad diets that people try are different now, so an update on that would be great.

But, I have some
Megan
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me in recovery from my Eating Disorder. It's what they teach at one of the top Eating Disorder facility's in the world. It. is. AMAZING.

Get back in touch with your initial intuitive eating skills, that came to you so naturally as a child. Eat what you really want, when you really want it. Enjoy food. Get to your natural healthy weight and love your body. Stop obsessing and start living!

Kris
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complex feelings about this book. Overall, the idea is great and, if one has a diet mentality, very perspective shifting. However, because it is a valuable book, I feel even more inclined to offer critique so that the next book on this subject can be even more valuable.
1. This is a dated read. There is much talk about "normal weight", even while acknowledging that not everyone has the same weight that should be normal for them. There is still a sense that thin is better, while I feel the focus
Rose
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I typically thumb through self help books, but listened to this in audio form. So glad I did. If anyone has felt like they've failed at diets, welcome to the way you're supposed to eat-without guilt and shame.
Marina
I'm not entirely sure how to rate this book because....

...on the one hand, it does make perfect sense and it is kind of eye-opening, but
...on the other hand, there is so much information that is just completely unnecessary.
The book is way too long, with way too many examples that do not really help. I know this sounds rude, but why should I care what happened in XYZ's life? I know these examples were chosen so that the reader has a representation/an example of the explained principle in 'real li
Florence
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, food
What should be a normal activity, that of eating, has become a stressful and unhealthy practice. According to Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch in their most recent edition of Intuitive Eating, "we have become a nation riddled with guilt based on what we eat. Even non-dieters experience angst. In a random survey of 2,075 adults, 45 percent said they feel guilty after eating foods they like!"
We need to challenge the food police and stop dieting! "Food companies, books, magazines and commercials are
Renee
Hallelujah! The Anti-Diet book that I wish all people would read! Calorie counting, diets (beach body, weight watchers, Tone It Up, carb bashing, what have you) are all money marketing schemes that are messing with our wallets, our psyches, and our health. This book is ground breakingly real. Did you know that dieting is BAD for you? Up and down yo-yoing is more likely to lead you to an early grave. Make peace with your body, find health, and eat a delicious cookie. And enjoy it. No guilt.

This
Tinab
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to give this 5 stars, though I only just finished reading it. It speaks to me. It seems like common sense, except that we have so many "Food Police" and "Nutrition Informants" in our heads, on TV, in magazines, and even in our friends and family, that try to tell us what is good and what is bad, and tell us what to never eat again, and what to eat more of. The bottom line is, the madness has to stop. Many of us are going to rebel and want what we shouldn't have even more, and beat ourselv ...more
  • Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food
  • Eating in the Light of the Moon: How Women Can Transform Their Relationship with Food Through Myths, Metaphors, and Storytelling
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • Life Without Ed: How One Woman Declared Independence from Her Eating Disorder and How You Can Too
  • Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family
  • Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food
  • Lessons from the Fat-O-Sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies: Freeing Yourself from Food and Weight Obsession
  • Breaking Free from Emotional Eating
  • Secrets from the Eating Lab: The Science of Weight Loss, the Myth of Willpower, and Why You Should Never Diet Again
  • Two Whole Cakes: How to Stop Dieting and Learn to Love Your Body
  • The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts
  • The Body Image Workbook: An Eight-Step Program for Learning to Like Your Looks
  • 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder: Effective Strategies from Therapeutic Practice and Personal Experience
  • How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too: Stop Binge Eating, Overeating and Dieting For Good Get the Naturally Thin Body You Crave From the Inside Out (Thinside Out)
  • Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle
Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD is an award-winning registered dietitian, with a nutrition counseling practice in Newport Beach, California. She has written seven books including the bestsellers Healthy Homestyle Cooking and Intuitive Eating(co-author). Her newest book is the Ultimate Omega-3 Diet.

Evelyn was the nutrition expert for Good Morning America, appearing from 1994-’95 and was a national spokesper

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Shakespeare Never Did This
    $6.99 $1.99
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
  • On Becoming a Novelist
  • Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
    $17.99 $1.99
“Accept your genetic blueprint. Just as a person with a shoe size of eight would not expect realistically to squeeze into a size six, it is equally futile (and uncomfortable) to have a similar expectation about body size. Respect your body, so you can feel better about who you are. It’s hard to reject the diet mentality if you are unrealistic and overly critical of your body shape.” 2 likes
“When you rigidly limit the amount of food you are allowed to eat, it usually sets you up to crave larger quantities of that very food.” 1 likes