Start by marking “No One Else Can Have You (No One Else Can Have You #1)” as Want to Read:
No One Else Can Have You (No One Else Can Have You #1)

No One Else Can Have You (No One Else Can Have You #1)

3.13  ·  Rating details ·  4,025 Ratings  ·  1,118 Reviews
Small towns are nothing if not friendly. Friendship, Wisconsin (population: 689 688) is no different. Around here, everyone wears a smile. And no one ever locks their doors. Until, that is, high school sweetheart Ruth Fried is found murdered. Strung up like a scarecrow in the middle of a cornfield.

Unfortunately, Friendship’s police are more adept at looking for lost pets t
Published January 7th 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about No One Else Can Have You, please sign up.
Everett Robert There is ZERO evidence, other then Hale's assertions, that Blythe Harris did what was claimed. ZERO. Blyth posted over 300 reviews on Goodreads, one…moreThere is ZERO evidence, other then Hale's assertions, that Blythe Harris did what was claimed. ZERO. Blyth posted over 300 reviews on Goodreads, one of which was Kathleen Hale's book. Hale has provided no screen shots of this bullying behavior, no proof whatsoever. Harris was hardly her "number one critic".

Look into Hale's background (the aforementioned blog in which she describes assulting and stalking a girl at 14, her connection to James Frey [this is actually a Full Fathom Five book--I suspect that Hale got a little more then $250 for it b/c of her connections--or it didn't matter to her] and you get a picture of someone from privilege, with the best education money can buy (Harvard), with strong connections in Hollywood and NYC (friends with comedian John Mulrany, fiance is SNL writer/former Observer writer Simon Rich, future father in law is NYT critic, columnist and Veep producer Frank Rich, mother in law is an exec at Harper-Collins--her publisher) who supported and endorsed a group (Stop the Goodreads bullies) who publish their website anonymously (I guess anonymity is okay when it serves your own interest) who STALKED a reviewer, who showed up AT HER DOORSTEP and then bragged about it (she posted on Tumblr that she was proud of herself).

This is not a well woman.(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Dec 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies by: Faye, la Patata
Beth
Mar 12, 2014 added it
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK.

I am not part of a Goodreads mafia. I am not trying to surreptitiously ruin Hale's career through some kind of Illuminati conspiracy. (Though I suppose it would suit somebody who has to stoop to those lows to think so, wouldn't it?) She has done something that makes me feel physically ill just to think about, something that makes me afraid to air my honest opinion because I feel afraid for my safety. Let that sink in - it's a big one. She invaded a reviewer's privacy and tr
Ceilidh
Aug 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rose
Nov 15, 2013 marked it as not-my-cup-of-tea
Simply stated, I will never read this book. Ever.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Review has been removed, because what this author does in real life when you leave a negative review is not okay and I don't want to support that kind of behaviour.
Ade
Jan 25, 2014 marked it as are-you-serious
Wtf? You stalk someone because they wrote a bad review of your book? Does the author not realize how unbelieveably unhinged she seems now? I wanted to read this, but now I won't for fear of being stalked if I leave a negative review.
Petra X
Review and Rant
I read the Kindle sample. If I had enjoyed it I would have bought the book, but it was really meh, not anything impressive at all. A shame really because if it had been good all the publicity might have generated real interest.

I read the Guardian, (view spoiler) this was quite enjoyable in a car-crash kind of way. It did ge
Wendy Darling
I'm leaving my original review and rating as is, but hopefully interested parties are aware of the outrageous actions depicted here: http://www.donotlink.com/framed?565100

And there's a great analysis of the controversy here: http://alex-hurst.com/2014/10/21/kath... as well as great pieces on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books and Dear Author.

There's also a history of previous unprovoked reviewer baiting and outright, self-confessed stalking/assault (let's call it that when you pour a bottle of peroxide
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Here it is, kids. Be gentle . . .

Let me apologize in advance, as this is going to be horrendously long and super rambly. I’m crossing my fingers I don’t get flagged or banned for daring to mention an author in my review, but come on - it’s like the giant pink elephant in the room. I have to address it.

By now, thousands of people have probably read this piece and a collective terror of sorts has arisen in the reviewing community. The
Melanie
And that was the last straw. Stalking a reviewer by driving to their house because they gave you a negative review? There's something wrong with the world and now it just got even more messed up. I've deleted my review and rating.
Debbie Narh
My reaction to this book from beginning to end.

Was reading this book worth my time? Nope, not at all. Maybe it's the fact that I've read a stream of serious topic books lately that I had high hopes for this one but it fell so flat. Flat on its ass. I can't count how many times I've fallen asleep while reading this.

The writing style feels too forced and awkward which made Kippy too awkward to even try to like. Readers are constantly told that she watches many TV shows and journalists yet she' s c
mark monday
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: murdertime, teenworld
so Fargo and Twin Peaks knocked boots and had this kid No One Else Can Have You. on the outside the kid seemed like she really had it going on, smart and funny and strange and even stylish, all the good things. well you know the phrase Don't judge a book by its cover? or Pretty is as pretty does? kinda relevant here.

spoiler fail : if you are planning on reading this one, I advise you to go no further. but you probably will. sigh.

mystery fail : there's no "mystery" if the mystery can be solved
Deborah Markus
This review will go into great detail. If you're interested in reading this book and being surprised by plot developments, you shouldn't read this.

The novel starts with a killer premise – literally. Kippy Bushman, a sixteen-year-old who lives in a tiny town in Wisconsin, is in shock. Her best friend Ruth has just been murdered. And it happened when Ruth was on her way over to Kippy's house for a sleepover. Although Ruth's body was found hanging from a tree, we know this was a murder rather than
Jasmine
Mar 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
You know, I was very much excited to read this. I even tried to read it last night in a failed attempt to separate the art from the artiest. But I'm afraid I cannot do this. I can't read a book by someone who stalked a reviewer.

I don't CARE how bad that review was. You don't go to someone's house over it! You don't breach their privacy and phone them at work over it!

I cannot continue with the book. And if that makes me seem like a bitch, then so be it. I'm sorry for being a bitch with moral gro
Has
Oct 18, 2014 marked it as books-to-avoid
No one will want you.
Not when you hunt them down.
Hide your wives,
Hide your husbands,
Hide your kids,
Hide your pets,
cos hell is in town.

reason why this book is not for me is this:
Loederkoningin
I didn't like this book. And it's a sad day when journalists choose sensationalism over protecting troubled ones against themselves and others.

Excellent Dear Author post.
Kath S
Oct 18, 2014 marked it as no-thank-you
NUNCA. JAMÁS. EN. LA. VIDA. SEÑORA ESCRITORA.

Esta mujer stalkeó a una bloguera. La siguió en sus redes sociales (las revisaba TODOS los días) Y FUE HASTA SU CASA!! Sorry, puede que estuviera ofendida por la reseña negativa (APRENDE A LIDIAR CON LAS CRÍTICAS, MUJER!), pero eso no le daba NINGÚN DERECHO a ACECHAR a una persona.

Y sobre la bloguera siendo una catfish:

description
Giselle
Jul 12, 2013 added it
Shelves: arc, ebook
DNF

Being a huge fan of thrillers and mysteries like these I was really excited to start this one, though I wasn’t very far into it when I realized it was not at all what I expected. For one I could not stand the protagonist at all. She was so very awkward and kind of ridiculous. The best she could do at her best friend’s eulogy was to say Okie Dokie. Gah! Then there’s this small town setting and its annoying quirks that were probably supposed to be charming and atmospheric instead it was simply
Jen Ryland
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is about a girl from Wisconsin who learns that someone's been writing down brutally honest stuff about her. She goes around spying on and investigating people and gets so obsessive and weird that she's involuntarily committed to a mental institution.
So ... yeah.
*awkward silence*

If you're looking for a YA mystery with a small town setting and quirky characters, please let me offer some suggestions:

Do you like mysteries? Read Charm and Strange by Stephanie Kuehn It won a Morris award,
Becki
Jun 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
1 Star

This was a DNF. This is not a proper review. Just my thoughts on why I couldn't finish it.

The gist of the story is we have two best friends. One gets murdered and the other has to look for the killer because local police are about a useless as tits on a bull. How typical.

The best part of the book was the prologue. That was awesome it just reeled me in and slapped me that's how good it was. Unfortunately little did I Know the prologue was on the precipice of a mountain. It went down, way do
Juhina
Jun 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
No One Else Can Have You was one of my most anticipated books of 2014.. have you LOOKED at the cover? the synopsis? I love murder mysteries so all those things looked promising. Unfortunately as soon as I started reading it.. I noticed myself disliking so many things in this book and the best way for me to do that is to just rant. Brace yourselves people, this may be long:

What raised red flags for me initially were all the psychotic characters in this small town: Every single character in this
Cathryn
Jan 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
I originally put this book on my "reviews say no" shelf because after reading SEVERAL reviews I decided that this book was not for me. The fact that several people DNFd it and the subject matter was not appealing influenced my decision.

However, after reading how utterly batshit fucking crazy this author is I can safely say I will never, EVER buy anything this author produces and this book is definitely getting one star.

Stacia (the 2010 club)
Oct 24, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish
*edit* this book has jumped onto my 'no-way-in-hell' mental list. If you want to know, ask. I will leave the review space for book thoughts, according to GR policy.

*original DNF review* I keep trying to get into this book, but will put it down every time to pick up something else.

The small town murder mystery sounded interesting, and the cover amuses me every time I see it (yes, that is a grandma-knit sweater with a hanging moose on it).

Maybe my mood was just off.
Natalie Monroe
Oct 18, 2014 marked it as never-ever-ever-reading-this
Shannon
Jan 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: will-never-read
I don't always one-star books I haven't read, but when I do, it's because they fucking deserve it.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A quick note: I firmly believe in separating the book from its author. Once the book is published, it belongs to itself, to other texts, and to the readers, not to the person who wrote it. However, the fact that I moderately enjoyed this book months before the whole stalking debacle does NOT mean that I condone the author's behavior. In fact, I am thoroughly disgusted by the whole sordid affair. I'll leave my original review intact because frankly, it's not the book's fault. But I will never aga ...more
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
Review: No One Else Can Have You

(I read this back in January and forgot to post my review on booklikes. So here it is. I guess because this book was so, eeehhhhhh, I forgot all about the review. Whoops)

It took a lot for me to finish this book. Thank GAH, like one of the character's says, it was a really easy book to read! "Don't cha know"I was interested at first because it was about a murder in a small town. I like some mystery and suspense, a bit of a thriller. So I checked it out from th
The Library Lady
This book reminds me of a long ago patron who would have me looking for stuff for her for 45 minutes, then say"Well, I thought I was going to find something wonderful today, but I guess not."

What an awful book. Despite the grisly murder that begins it, it looked like it was going to be funny in a quirky way. Maybe something like the movie "Fargo". But the humor just became irritating, the plot got more and more ridiculous,and I figured out whodunnit early on. Language and lots of talk about sex
Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)
When I first saw this cover, I was like whoa…that’s…different. But in a good way. I love a gorgeous and eye catching cover but was getting tired of the ‘girl in pretty dress’ covers that were so popular last year. The more I saw this cover, the more I liked it. To me, it screams ‘I have 50 cats’ or ‘I’m gonna murder you in your sleep.’ I have to admit, this made me want to read the book. After seeing some DNF and low rating reviews, I almost didn’t read this one, but once I checked out the autho ...more
Wart Hill
This book is in my library system. Should I go for it?

Have it on hold. In the words of my sibling: To boldly go where no informed individual has gone before! (except Deborah... She beat me to the punch)

dnf at 28%

+ no one in this book sounds like a real person.
+ Mr. Psychiatrist Dom is weirdly worried that the grieving brother wants to get into Kippy's pants. Like. Dude, you're a psychiatrist! Also he does not know how to discuss PTSD.
+ the Sheriff is a shitty, shitty Sheriff.
+ this book isn't qu
  • The World Rose
  • Suicide Ride: The Platinum Man (Suicide Ride, #1)
  • The Raie'Chaelia (Legend of the Raie'Chaelia, #1)
  • Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality
  • A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality
  • Last Flight Out
  • Learning To Love
  • Vardin Village
  • When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)
  • Black Balled (Black Balled, #1)
  • NOT A BOOK: The Auction Deal
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • Authors vs. Goodreads
  • Dear Killer
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • Great
  • Twilight, True Love and You: Seven Secret Steps to Finding Your Edward or Jacob
  • The Midnight Dress
Kathleen Hale was born in Wisconsin and graduated from Harvard in 2010. She is the author of two novels, NO ONE ELSE CAN HAVE YOU and NOTHING BAD IS GOING TO HAPPEN (the latter is forthcoming from HarperTeen in 2015). She also writes pieces for places like Vice.com. One of her personal essays, "Quit Everything," will appear in the collection NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE, forthcoming from Simon and Schust ...more
More about Kathleen Hale

No One Else Can Have You (2 books)
  • Nothing Bad Is Going to Happen (No One Else Can Have You, #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.” 24 likes
“If I were honest, I’d say it only sort of gets better. That there’s always this part of you that got carved out. It’s a physical thing, I swear to God, and it’s the part that swells right before you cry. Eventually you stop hoping and start to fill it up with memories.” 12 likes