Start by marking “The Testing Guide (The Testing, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Testing Guide (The Testing, #0.5)

The Testing Guide

(The Testing 0.5)

In the scarred and war-battered United Commonwealth, ten-year-old Cia Vale watches her older brother Zeen dream about being chosen for The Testing. He's graduated at the top of his class, and being chosen, like his father was before him, means a chance to attend The University and help lead the effort to revitalize postwar civilization. Cia is conflicted--she hopes Zeen is ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Houghton Mifflin (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Testing Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Testing Guide

Stacy
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
First off, it's a darn good thing this puppy was free, or there would've been a lot of irate people out there. I wouldn't even say it qualifies as a short story--it's a bonus chapter, one that really can't be included in the book because the book is told in first person by a different character. I can't say that it particularly adds anything to the book--the only reason I'm rating it as high as I am is because I happen to like Zeen from the few small glimpses we've been given of him. All we get ...more
Igrowastreesgrow
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, free, short-story
I am really interested in reading the series. It was slightly different than I thought it would be. Also, even with just a small bit of material, I was able to get a lot of information about the world that the characters live in and feel somewhat attached to the the characters. So, I think that the main books for the series must be something to really look into reading.
Joke
This is the shortest short story I ever read..
Annika
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
The free prequel can be downloaded here.
Angela
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked The Testing Guide but this was WAY shorter than I expected it to be. Most of it was just a preview of The Testing. This can hardly be considered a "short story."

Nonetheless, The Testing Guide was interesting. I've heard of The Testing but never actually knew what it was about. Now that I've read this, I'm more interested in starting the series.

But like most prequels, this really was pointless. I can't say I see the point of this. It's an okay set-up for the series, because it explains so
B.A. Wilson
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, dystopian, sci-fi
It's free, which is great. It doesn't really add a lot in terms of the world or story, but if you just want to read a little bit more, it's good for that purpose. I typically love novellas but don't find this one to be a necessary read. If you are a die hard fan of the story, then downloaded it for free. There's nothing to lose, so you can give it a try and decide for yourself.

Pages: 46
Nj Sun
Das war aber sehr kurz...
Jenn
Literally the shortest novella I have ever read. It's only one chapter and then the rest is part of the first book, The Testing. But I did like seeing more of Zeen and hope that the author showcases his character more in the next books, or does a full novella with him.
Adinde
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shortest short story ever. It was just 3 pages....
Rossana
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reading
4.0⭐ — Good — Short Story

I liked this short story, but I was surprised that the main character in the story is not Cia, but her oldest brother. It kind of made me a fan of him, and wished he was the mais character of the story, since I liked him from first page... I’m kind of asking myself what’s happened to him????

📚 Good reading! 📚
Nick Turner
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This eleven-page story, teaser prequel to novel, The Testing (with a forty-page excerpt of The Testing after the prequel story), sets the scene locating the future post-apocalyptic world of The Testing in a post-war North America a century after war and global catastrophes destroyed much of the Earth's population and biomass leaving coastal cities submerged and toxic tainted soil.

The prequel tells the story of Zeen (elder brother of The Testing's protagonist Malencia - "Cia") and how it was that
AH
This is a short 45 page prequel to The Testing. It also includes the first three chapters of the book. Once again, I'm really not sure if this prequel would make me want to go out and purchase the book. The Testing Guide gives a basic backdrop to a world destroyed by war, earthquakes, and bad weather. Resources are limited. Graduates of school compete to get a place in the capital city for the Testing which upon successful completion ensures a spot in university.

It kind of has The Hunger Games
Carrie
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great teaser for the up and coming book The Testing. Besides giving us a glimpse of what to expect for the story, the eprequel also includes the first 3 chapters of the book.

I am happy to say I am VERY excited to read it and looking forward to this series by Joelle Charbonneau.

A free download can be found here: The Testing Guide
Myndi
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
What I'm guessing is just a peek into the world that I'm about to learn about in The Testing. I actually hopped on GR to show someone the series I was about to read and learned about this little novella. So I clicked the link and got it for my Nook. We learn about who I've learned is the main character of the series' big brother and what happened at his graduation and shortly after. We also get to see what his relationship with his sister was like. Only a bit though because the novella really wa ...more
Mehsi
Well... I had hoped for a bit more story and I am a bit disappointed. You got about 10 pages of bonus story, and 3 or so with a bit of history information, and after that a first look at the Testing. Which is a shame.

I am now still not sure if I should read the Testing or not. For now I am lingering to the no.

It was an interesting story, but also slightly confusing. Still don't understand stuff about the testing or what it means, and I was hoping this story would let me know a bit more.
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
This was a nice introduction to the book. I had already read the first chapter of The Testing prior to reading this. This is very short, took me about 10 minutes to read it. Not much to it. Gives just a bit of background on the world and a few of the characters. Looking forward to getting into the book now!
Muphyn
Seriously?! It looks like it's a 50-page prequel but it's really just 10 as the rest is made up of the first three chapters of 'The Testing'. It just wet my appetite and then it was all over.

It's Zeen's story of his graduation day and I wanted to know more. So much more. Bit disappointing, obviously I expected too much.
Jackie
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Intriguing beginning pages to the full length novel, a very very short teaser to what is to come in the future for Cia and her friends.
Currently reading the book and already in a short period of time over 100 pages and am fascinated and looking forward to finding out more. May be one of my new favorite series found from Netgalley.
This was a very short story (less than 1 chapter), which shows Cia's older brother, and how he failed to get into the Testing, and instead stayed at home and encouraged his sister's dreams of getting into the testing. The other 80% of this book is an excerpt from book 1.
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this short prequel.
It really gave me an insight to this course and really piqued my interest and curiosity for the first book. I can't wait to find out more about this dystopian world.
Alyssa
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella, 4-stars, 3-stars
It's short. It's interesting. And it is free. :D The Testing Guide gives the readers a small glimpse of The Testing. It's a really short read but it managed to entice me to read The Testing. Off to read The Testing then! :)
Xxertz
Quick glimpse into Zeen's life. I wouldn't pay $ for it as short as it is, but it is curious. (I obviously am not used to 0.5, 1.5, etc books).
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
I don't like how this new world is explained.. & I still don't get it..
Deniz
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
3.5 Stars

An interesting short novella that gives a glimpse into the world of the testing
A nice appetizer- looking forward to reading the testing!
Sandra
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really short, but worth reading regarding worldbuilding
Lindsay
May 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh. Unnecessary.

This is about ten pages of Zeen's POV on graduation day. It didn't provide any ground breaking insights into the story or characters. Nor was there any excitement.
Shannon
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great companion piece. Read it AFTER The Testing.
Carlos
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Pequeña precuela de la historia original de la serie La Prueba , que relata un momento al que se hace referencia en los libros muchas veces pero que nunca se termina de explicar del todo. (view spoiler) ...more
Melanie Dulaney
My rating of 3 stars, instead of a 4 or 5, is absolutely only given because of the brevity of this ePrequel to one of my very favorite dystopian series. I was excited to download a Kindle short that would give me a glimpse into the early lives of Cia and Zeen and enjoyed every bit of it, but it was disappointingly short. I really needed much more insight into what Zeen was feeling as he was passed over for The Testing and was forced to remain in Five Lakes to help his dad develop more ways to br ...more
Caroline Gross
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
When I saw this I got extremely excited because I thought it was going to be a full book about life before Cia's selection into The Testing. The first chapter focuses on Zeen's graduation day and the shame he feels when he isn't selected into The Testing. It was interesting because if you have read the series you know the truth behind what The Testing is. I liked how it talked about Zeen saying it was okay to encourage Cia's dreams. The second chapter just showed some Testing questions and the a ...more
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Regret (Possession, #1.5)
  • Awakening (Tankborn, #2)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • Other Worlds
  • Portrait of a Marshal: The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.25)
  • The Vanished (Blemished, #2)
  • Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #1.5)
  • Rebirth (The Eden Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Variables (Virulent, #3)
  • Summer Wishes (Desire, #1.5)
  • No Holly for Christmas (A Magic City Duo #2)
  • Aligned (Immortal Essence, #0.5)
  • Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)
I am a storyteller at heart. I have performed in a variety of operas, musical theatre and children's theatre productions across the Chicagoland area.

While I'm happy to perform for an audience, I am equally delighted to teach private voice lessons and use my experience from the stage to create compelling characters on the page. I am the author of the Rebecca Robbins mystery series (Minotaur Books)

The Testing (3 books)
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
  • Independent Study (The Testing, #2)
  • Graduation Day (The Testing, #3)