Start by marking “Missing (Fear Street, #4)” as Want to Read:
Missing (Fear Street, #4)

Missing

(Fear Street #4)

Book back:
Welcome to Fear Street
Don’t listen to the stories they tell you about Fear Street. Wouldn’t you rather explore it yourself…and see if its dark terror and unexplained mysteries are true? You’re not afraid, are you?
“Please help…Our parents are missing!"
What would you do if your parents didn’t come home, didn’t call, left no note? At first, Mark and Cara Burroughs a
Published May 1st 1990 by POCKET BOOKS (first published January 1st 1990)

Addy
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I plan to reread this and hope that it lives up to the 5 stars I gave it. This was my first taste into the horror genre and thanks to Mr. Stine, where my love of reading began. I will always love him for that;)
Latasha
Of my revisit to Fear Street, this one is the craziest. I can honestly say I didn't see that reveal coming.
Amanda
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This book seemed much longer than its 168 pages. It really never goes anywhere and nothing is explained until the last two or three chapters. I found myself skimming through pages from time to time and just wanting it over with. Definitely has the classic R.L. Stine feel, but there's not quite enough plot to make it memorable.
Alexis Jade
May 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fear-street
I remember when I read this book. It was my first Fear Street. :)

The books pretty good, from what I remember, I liked it. The only thing I vaguely remember is how disgusting their breakfast was. They didn't have any milk so they used coke for their cereal. Yuck.
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Mark and Cara’s parents have a tendency to work late. But they always call to let them know. This time, there is no call, and they don’t come home at all. Mark and Cara know something must be wrong. And to top it off, the cousin who lives with them starts to act strange... suspicious, almost. Could he be involved?

I honestly had no idea what was going on until pretty much the reveal, which I enjoyed. But then I found out what was going on and I was kind of iffy abou
Michael
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's not uncommon for Mark and Cara's parents to stay out late. They're both highly technical sorts who specialize in mainframe installation for companies that can afford the massive computing power, and sometimes the jobs don't always go as smoothly as planned. This install at Cranford could easily be one of those times.

The thing is, mom and dad always call if they're going to pull an all-nighter . Admittedly the phone service at the house was out last evening, but they've made no attempts at a
Ines
The premise sounds quite interesting at first and it did start that way, but it took a turn at the end that I'm not really into, it's just my personal taste, so in the end I didn't enjoy the book as much as I thought I would. Nevertheless, it still was an entertaining and interesting read, like most of these books are.
This one is perhaps a bit more serious and, without giving away much, kinda rooted in the real world problems unlike other Fear Street books which have something to do with either
Steen
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one was pretty good as well. The ending was a bit out there though but still pretty suspenseful.
Alexis
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This was my first ever Fear Street, so it holds a lot of memories and fond moments for me! The thing I remember most is how they ran out of milk and so they had to use Coke for their cereal. Yuck.
Elizabeth Wylder
Jun 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-young-adult
Coke on cereal? Just one of the many, many things wrong with this book.
Keaton Hawk
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Missing is the 4th book of the series Fear Street written by R.L. Stine having 168 pages in the book. Being published in 1990 the book is put really noticed as much as it should be. This horror/mystery book can give you a real brain twister if not read carefully and with attention. This book targets teens and young adults because of the modern slang used in the book which lets teens relate to the books characters better. Especially, because the book is really similar to how the goosebumps books ...more
Weathervane
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fear-street
Strong premise, drags in the middle, comes to a wet slap of an end. I don't think I've read another Fear Street in which the dramatic action is initiated by an anti-government domestic terrorist cult leader and two married FBI agents. Very '90s and reminiscent of certain X-Files episodes. Enjoyable, not explosive, due to lack of momentum in the mid-stretch and slack tension between main characters. Fear Street usually does better with an ensemble cast, since each character only gets one-to-three ...more
Carmen Tudor
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Missing is more crime than horror, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it in relation to other FS titles. Otherwise, the usual lovable Stine traits abound and the two leads are quite endearing. I think I would've preferred a single POV (Cara's), but having just read The Dead Lifeguard, the dual POV here isn't too big a deal. Overall I liked it and the ending is more satisfying than other reviewers give it credit for. Only thing I'm still truly scratching my head over is the wild dog scene. As ...more
Ava Haine
Dec 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I admire the Fear Street Saga and I do have a number of them in my shelf.

This story in particular is fast-paced and predictable. I like the cult twist but then there's not much of a build-up.

I've read books about crime and mystery so the insights kinda helped me predict the main highlight of the story.

I would love to read it as a longer more defined version.

All in all it was an okay kind of read. The type that you will consider if there aren't any options.
Lacey
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Childrens, mystery
Recommended to Lacey by: Favorite author from childhood
I remember my deepest fascination with Fear Street. Getting little pamphlets to take home and beg mom and dad if I could order something. It is was the start my love of my mystery, supernatural, and suspense books. I picked some up a couple of years ago just to see what if anything I can remember. Even thought the book it meant for a younger audience I enjoyed the plot. If your looking for a trip down memory lane or looking for a series for someone younger....I would recommend this one.
The Stumps
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital-books
I learned a ton of useful life lessons from this book. One is that of my parents don't come home from work, it's okay. Don't bother the police, they have enough going on. Another lesson is that if my girlfriend breaks up with me, I should always creep into her bedroom window. Oh, and if I cut my hand while doing so, rifle through her underwear drawer to find a white sock to stop the bleeding.
Chelsey
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Where in god's name did that twist ending come from?! I want to say I wish there had been more clues, but the writing is so heavy-handed as it is that they probably would have given it away. The writing is meh and full of cliches, but kudos to R.L. freaking Stine for managing to keep it interesting and surprising.
ElphaReads
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fear-street
In terms of straight up bonkers FEAR STREET stories, this one has it all. Missing parents, crooked cops, a competent but secretive girlfriend, and a legitimate cult in the Fear Woods!!!! This is FEAR STREET at it's best!
Shayla
Oct 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
meh... naive and predictable.
Kendalyn
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
My first fear street book. I had fun though it wasn't super creepy or anything. And RL Stine has a pretty simplistic writing style so I got through this in one sitting.
Britt
Of course, this book was about 5,000 times scarier when I was 10 😂 But man, I freaking love RL Stine.
Mark
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, horror, 2017, stine_pike
Two kids running around town trying to find their parents only to lead to a pretty unsatisfactory conclusion. There's better stories on Fear Street than this one folks!
Winona Murray
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
everyone is super suspect!
I did not predict the ending but I got one of the characters, they were on my top 3 suspect list.
Amber
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the fear street books when I was younger I hope a whole new generation falls in love with them now ... :)
Deo
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Trevor Wells
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fear-street
Yet another pageturner of a Fear Street book! While Missing started out a bit slow and caused me to have doubts about its' quality, I soon found that the deliberate pacing of the story worked to its' advantage and made for an intense and engaging story. Before I get into more specifics, here's the plot synopsis.

Plot Synopsis: Cara and Mark are used to having workaholic parents. Being computer engineers, they have to move around often to keep up with work. They're also used to them staying late t
Christyweber1
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
In this installment of fear street we learned that you can drone one for a whole book with direction or end in sight and then wrap everything up in the last 5 pages or so. I don't remember
ever reading this one when i was younger, but he must have still been getting his fear street groove.
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
How did we end up here?

My fount of cheese, it is endless.

Okay, book. You've got 50 pages. Go!

We’ve already established that I’m not stopping at 50 pages with these books. There’d be no point since they’re hardly longer than that. And I wouldn’t want to deny myself the cheese.

What worked . . .

The suspense. I really felt Mark and Cara’s worry over their parents, especially when previously established puzzle pieces turned out to not fit into the picture anymore. What the hell happened to them? Stin
Mark R.
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
One of my big fears as a child was being left alone and never seeing my parents again. I think it's a normal childhood fear, although in my case I had no real reason to have such a phobia. But I remember what that was like, getting paranoid they weren't coming home; if the clock showed them fifteen minutes late, I'd get nervous.

R.L. Stine taps into this sort of childhood paranoia with his 1990 novel, "Missing," part of the Fear Stree series. The book isn't great, in fact it's just OK, but might
Y
« previous 1 3 next »

• Die Softly
  • Funhouse
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Prom Dress
  • The Yearbook
  • Party Line

R. L. Stine b

Fear Street (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9)
  • Ski Weekend (Fear Street, #10)
  • The Fire Game (Fear Street, #11)