Start by marking “Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories” as Want to Read:
Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories

Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories

Dim the lights. Lock the doors. Pull down the shades—and BEWARE! It's time to read the favorite scary stories of R.L. Stine, bestselling children’s author and master of the spooky tale.

R.L. Stine has gathered a selection of all things scary, and even added two new tales of his own! Short stories, fables old and new, comics, and poems. It′s a spine-tingling collection of wo
Published July 27th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Beware!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beware!

Start your review of Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
Alison
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS
I really enjoyed this collection of stories. Some of them are spooky and some of them are funny and I thought they were perfect for the Halloween seasons. I really enjoyed every story in this and flew through it within a day.
Nina
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beware! is a selection of R.L. Stine's favorite scary stories. A beautiful mix of those he wrote himself and tales (whether or not retold) by Ray Bradbury, Bram Stoker, William Sleator,...

It's those 3 I named, because their stories are my favourites of this collection. In order of appearance:
- The Black Ferris by Ray Bradbury was a great opener! A bit predictable perhaps, but still...
- The Judge's House by Bram Stoker, retold by R.L. Stine was probably the creepiest of all
- The Elevator by Will
Caitlin
A fun and (at times) creepy collection of author R.L. Stine's favorite scary stories. This short story compilation was overall enjoyable, and a few of the entries were downright spooky! I think R.L. Stine did a fantastic job of selecting a variety of different genres and formats for these horror stories: some are ghostly tales, some are classic suspense stories, some are science-fiction oriented, and some are just campy fun. Stine also includes poems, a comic strip, and a selection from a longer ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very nice collection of spooky stories. Some are darker, some are slightly humorous, and some are downright odd. Here are a few classic scary stories alongside some of R. L. Stine's original work. Here are vignettes, short stories, poems, and even a comic book. The only part I didn't personally care for was Stine's rewriting of Stoker's "The Judge's House." Sure, I get that Stine was writing for children, and I know Stoker's wording can be difficult at times, but the dense writing of " ...more
Mitchell
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Since this book was a collection of creepy short stories, don't expect to get majorly attached to any of the characters. Some of the stories are poems and some are more in depth; ones like The Judges House really do pull you into the story. (Though these are more creepy than scary, they are good for their reading level). The authors in here didn't use a ton of pulling in difficult words because of its reading level though. Over all this was a very good read and I thoroughly enjoyed all of the qu ...more
Lorene Evans
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In case anyone was confused, STINE WRITES FOR CHILDREN! Even at 8, Fear Street wasn't that bad. I always thought Goosebumps was stupid, but I read Fear Street like a maniac. If you read this as a child, you had the best book of your life in your hands. I must have checked it out from the library at least 5 times. I used it for a book report in the fifth grade. Clearly, it's not scary for adults. I loved this book, and it's definitely great for late elementary age.
Matt Mazenauer
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Don't let R.L. Stine scare you from this. There are a lot of great stories here, from little undiscovered treasures to Ray Bradbury, Bram Stoker, William Sleator, Roald Dahl, and even Shel Silverstein. Definately worth picking up.
Molly
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was used for a two-month unit in my student teaching experience. The kids unanimously loved it (aside from one who couldn't due to religious convictions). There's something for everyone in here. Whether you enjoy genuinely scary, creepy-scary, or silly-scary, this book has you covered.
Cheryl
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scary, short-stories
Alisa read a funny, scary story from this collection at Halloween time.
Sara
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, horror
A good selection of horror stories I enjoyed reading them even if they were designed for teenagers :)
Kendalyn
So much fun! I might reread this around Halloween time cause it was so entertaining.
Christine Verstraete
Oct 28, 2008 marked it as to-read
I have the hardcover. Thrilled to find it a flea market! Very nice book!
Jacob
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I stumbled across this collection while searching for writings by William Sleator, the author of Interstellar Pig and several other fun books for youth. He’s got a short story in here about a kid scared to ride an elevator, and while it cheats you in the end, it’s pretty effective at building dread.

Other stories in here are a little uneven. They’re personal picks by R.L. Stine, so that’s understandable, and I like that he explains why each one is there. I could really do without the short story
Maria Falegiardo
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I love how it gives you a glimpse into r.l. Steins favorite horror novelist. It was a really great and fun read. Especially on those days when you don’t want to completely dive or, have time to dive into an entire book. I enjoyed reading this with other novels as well. Sometimes you need a little break from the book you are reading and this, was perfect! It had great stories and some very funny poems. If you loved this as much as I did, I would also recommend Scream ...more
Hew La France
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Always been a fan of R.L. Stine. His taste in stories as demonstrated in this collection is indicative of his view on the horror genre: that which is scary, is often ridiculous and/or funny. Most of the stories that ARENT written by Stine are quirky and have something absurd about them, and I mean that in the best way possible.
I do have to say, I think my favorite story in this book is one written by Stine, wherein he puts to paper an old Jewish folktale about a golem. REALLY wish Stine would w
Kyrub
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Book is truly wonderful, it has suspense,horror,laughter and sadness...
i understand why R.L. Stine picks his favorite Scary Stories in this book,i really love it all especially the story about A Sock for Christmas it is truly terrifying and you can easily relate about it.
I hope many more people will able to read this Book it is truly amazing even thou i am quite young to make a book review about this i am just stating that this Book is Wonderful that the other readers can read this..
Devrim
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book very much! Especially the story "Examination day" by Henry Slesar was very shocking and this story also has a connection to reality I think🤔 To put it into a nutshell I would say that I enjoyed reading this book and every short story had its own shocking moments (every night I felt a chill going down my neck😊) !
Lauren
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel like this book reads more thriller than it does horror, but that's personal opinion. The stories will mess with your head, for sure. Kudos to R.L. Stine for putting this together. He did some of his own stuff in the book but there were stories from others - more from others than his own. There were stories & poems, all good choices. ...more
Thebruce1314
I would have adored this as a kid! I didnt necessarily love every story, but I did enjoy the variety of tales included. Not every story is scary, some are just weird/creepy, but it's entertaining that you never quite know what you're going to get.
Denise
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I'm surprised how much I actually liked this. I thought it would be childish stories but several were very entertaining. My favorite was Examination Day, I want a full story on this.

Final rating: 3.5
Anjanette
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very fun stories for the kids!
Diamond Chambers
I loved this book. I loved most of the stories and poems. Definitely worth reading.
Adan Ramie
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of these stories were really great. My son and daughter both enjoyed reading it together.
Brigitte
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books, own
A cute read. Not quite what I was expecting but I really enjoy collections of stories. Some were a little spooky but mostly the selections were pretty tame.
Sara Shupe
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Perfect amount of scary for grades 4-6!
Alexandria Blaelock
Great collection of RL Stine’s favourite scary stories by writers well known and not so much. Loved Bradbury’s Black Ferris, Stine’s Surprise Guest and Dahl’s Witches.
Shamsa
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A middle school fav. Read it 3 time just in case
Aaron
Nov 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-8-ir-books
Popular author R.L. Stine, makes a collection of his favorite horror stories. These stories inspired him to become a writer. They are all creepy classic tales that he has enjoyed over the years. He is showing why he has become a writer and why he loves these tales.

I also like horror books like R.L. Stine. They have inspired him to become a writer. He must love the idea of spooky tales like me. I love hearing very scary things because I am a fan of old horror films and books. So me and him both
Linda Smith
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beware! is a collection of R.L. Stine's favorite scary stories (as stated in the title). I read some of Stine's books years ago at the urging of a couple of young nieces. While I thought that his concepts were entertaining, the writing seemed to be in need of a good editor. Stine did create a couple of these stories himself, but most of them were penned by some amazing authors. Ray Bradbury, Bram Stoker, Roald Dahl, Gahan Wilson and Shel Silverstein are all included in the collection. In additio ...more
Jennifer Love
Stine has put together a fantastic collection of creepy tales. Like every good anthology should, it reminded me of and awakened me to the joy of authors I need to read more of in the future.

This book came out when I was a senior in high school, so at the time I would have been too cool to read anything I read as a CHILD. I'm happy to say I am no longer that lame!

Read it! If it's your thing, you will love it.

• Scary Stories Treasury
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)
  • Short & Shivery: Thirty Chilling Tales
  • In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories
  • More Bones
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • Unbreakable (The Legion, #1)
  • Graceful Burdens