Start by marking “Ghosts: Recent Hauntings” as Want to Read:
Ghosts: Recent Hauntings

Ghosts: Recent Hauntings

The spirits of the dead have walked among our legends, myths, and stories since before recorded history. Ghostly visitations, hauntings, unquiet souls seeking the living, vengeful wraiths, the possibility of life beyond the grave that can somehow reach out and touch us…these are some of literature’s most enduring icons. Now, in the twenty-first century, we are no less fasc ...more
Published September 5th 2012 by Prime Books

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts

Randolph
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Guran delivers a good batch of stories about my favorite horror trope: the ghost. Given that it is a time worn sub-genre there is a pretty good amount of transcendence here that bodes well for the modern ghost story. There isn't really a Jamesian story here so if that is what you are looking for, move on.

Often in a reprint anthology with this many stories there are a few stinkers. I usually look at the author bios for the writers I don't recognize right off the bat. There were a number here tha
Stan James
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Ghosts: Recent Hauntings is one of the better horror collections I've read in the past few years. The stories are, true to the title, all relatively recent in terms of previous publication, and while editor Paula Guran confesses to fudging a bit sometimes on ghosts being the subject matter, the exceptions are still consistently good stories. There's even some local flavor in "The Castle", set in a hotel in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

The stories cover a broad range of styles and tone, from tra
Kat
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
Like most anthologies, this is a mixed bag of quality: some pretty good stories, some okay, many not readable at all--and many of the readable ones seem to have no point. Scanning the other reviews, I saw the word "literary" more than once, and I think that's probably accurate--and part of the problem. Rather than simply telling a good, spooky yarn, many of the authors obfuscate the points of their stories with incoherent images and an attempt at high-falutin language.

But it's not all bad! Sarah
E.A.
What a fantastic collection--a decade of the best ghost stories by the best writers. I enjoyed 90% of the stories, discovered new writers and revisited old favorites. Over 400 pages of chilling and horrific goodness.
Dharia Scarab
Another mixed bag anthology. So good, some bad, a lot of mediocre.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find
Beverly
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have always loved ghost stories and just happened to run across the volume while I was spending some time at the library. I really enjoyed reading these "new" additions to the genre with Neil Gaiman and Peter Straub being the 2 authors that I was the most familiar with. As with any collection of short stories, there were some that I loved and then there were some that left me saying...."What????" On the whole, though, I'm glad I picked this up. The stories run from "The Ex", where a previous w ...more
Nitya Sivasubramanian
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2star
As with all anthologies, this read was hit or miss for me. I grabbed it off the shelf because it's October and Neil Gaiman's name is the on the cover, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that his was not my favorite story in the book (though it's definitely in the top five). The stories range from truly terrifyingly supernatural to oddly disturbing mental wanderings. Perfect for a pre-Halloween read while on a long road trip.
Lolkatings
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Another great collection of short stories, this time based on the idea of spirits. Good read.
David Scott
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent collection of well-written stories. The most atmospheric one was The Lagerstätte by Laird Barron, and the rest of them were quite interesting and sometimes mysterious, with an exceptionally postmodern one called The Score by Alaya Dawn Johnson.
Wendy Mills
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of these tales were as sad as they were haunting.
Megan
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
While I found the stories in this book to be well written, I did not find it to be "true" ghosts stories, I was disappointed. After I read a couple from the front of the book, I browsed through the rest and it was "OK" not a normal "things that go bump in the night kind of book. I expected haunted houses and "real" literary ghosts, Maybe my interpretation of the book is off.
Leena Hale
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-dnfed
I honestly couldn't finish this. Some of the stories were interesting and held my attention. But most of the ones I read were plain and boring. I felt like I was reading a report made by a machine. Others might like this but I just couldn't bring myself to get through this.
Martha
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this collection. I was expected more of the stories to be creepy, but only two of them creeped me out. Another two were just kind of gross, but overall, the collection was fully of good ghost stories.
Louise Marley
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of literary short stories! Nothing better than a good, well-written ghost story to send you off to sweet dreams at night. :-)
Katie
Great short story collection from some heavyweights in the horror/fantasy/sci-fi fields!
Kim Switzer
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a wide range of ghost stories! Creepy, strange, visceral--the whole spectrum. Definitely worth a read.
Jane Russo
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was ok

I was disappointed in the book. I believe it is totally mis-titled. These are not ghost stories.
An Redman
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 at best.

Enjoyed the first four stories then it went downhill fast. The TOC is ineffective... a different staggering of stories might of made them more palatable. Was a slog to finish it.
Taneel Moore
Aug 02, 2016 rated it liked it
It isn't your typical scary stories. A couple of them were pretty good but for the most part, not a book I could get into.
KanmanirUK
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the way t has been narrated ...
Shane
  • Ghosts by Gaslight
  • Dark Faith
  • Ghosts and Grisly Things
  • 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories
  • Haunted: Dark Delicacies III (Dark Delecacies, #3)
  • Fantasy & Science Fiction, May/June 2014 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, #713)
  • House of Fear
  • Night-Gaunts and Other Tales of Suspense
  • The Lovecraft Anthology, Volume 1
  • Alien Contact
  • The Big Book of Ghost Stories
  • The Dead of Night
  • American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from the 1940's Until Now
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. She is also senior editor of Prime's soon-to-launch digital imprint Masque Books. Guran edits the annual Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced we ...more