Start by marking “The Ice Limit (Ice Limit #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ice Limit (Ice Limit #1)

The Ice Limit

(Ice Limit #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  16,431 Ratings  ·  648 Reviews
The largest known meteorite has been discovered, entombed in the earth for millions of years on a frigid, desolate island off the southern tip of Chile. At four thousand tons, this treasure seems impossible to move. New York billionaire Palmer Lloyd is determined to have this incredible find for his new museum. Stocking a cargo ship with the finest scientists and engineers ...more
491 pages
Published (first published July 18th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Limit, please sign up.
Kamas Kirian A sequel just came out, Beyond The Ice Limit. Many of the characters in the world that the authors have created appear in more than one novel,…moreA sequel just came out, Beyond The Ice Limit. Many of the characters in the world that the authors have created appear in more than one novel, sometimes as very minor characters, sometimes as major characters in their own right.(less)

Matthew
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bring your Dramamine for an action packed adventure on a tanker headed for The Ice Limit.

By now, if you have been following my reviews, you know that I think Preston and Child can do no wrong. Well, after reading this, I stand by my conviction. I did this book on audio and the last two days on my commute to and from work I was holding my breath due to the suspense (not a wise thing to do when operating a vehicle!)

From page one this book had all the elements of a great story. A mysterious meteor
Ginger
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, buddy-read
Wow!! I'm freezing just writing this review. 😉😂

What a crazy end to an exciting adventure in the high seas off the coast of Antarctica!!
Good grief, I'm going to need a blazing fire, a warm blanket and some Dramamine in order to get through this review. Some of the technical and science information went over my head at times but I still enjoyed the book immensely.

The book starts off with a meteorite explorer finding the most scientific and amazing meteor ever discovered. Like on Earth! It's also d
Karl Marberger
A good read and a nice cliff hanger!
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A scientific thriller set near the bottom of the world, THE ICE LIMIT delivers everything Preston & Child are known for....in SPADES! Great characters that seem almost larger than life and a very compelling adventure to retrieve a mysterious giant meteorite from an island south of Cape Horn. A daunting task for the members of Effective Engineering Solutions (EES). P & C deliver again!
Jaya
3.25 🌟
While this was no Pendergast not even in the same league in terms of content and quality, still this was an extremely fast paced, adrenaline rush inducing and engaging read.
B.U.T that ending? It left a lot to be desired.

There is a sequel I see... not reading anytime soon.
ChopinFC
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 Stars>

full review...

WOW! Astounded by how AWESOME this book really is! What I thought would be only a nice little 'thriller' along Antarctica, proved to be the most 'entertaining' thriller I've read in 2017!

Imagine, you're a 'meteorite' hunter ('Sam MacFarlane') hired by one of the richest moguls in the planet ('Palmer Lloyd'), to recover a breakthrough scientific discovery near the heart of the Ice Limit in Antarctica! The discovery is a meteorite so expansive, and massive that it weighs
Terry
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the science, mystery and action of this book immensely! Great characters and a great storyline overall. Everything I'm looking for in a good mystery/thriller/action story. Looking forward very much to reading the sequel.
Hans K.
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read every book Richard Preston and Lincoln Child have written together, and this is the one that stands out the most. I feel like I can remember almost every detail. I still marvel at the impossibility of the task the Eli Glinn and co. face and tip my hat to the crew's ingenuity at every turn. I

I recommend Preston and Child novices start here, because although Relic, their first book is great, I don't think it has as strong or as sustained or as logical a plot as Ice Limit. As in any thri
Doreen Dalesandro
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook.

The plot of Ice Limit involves one man's aversion to failure, one man's ethics turned upside down, and two men's obsession with a very dense rock.

Hate to say it, but I am disappointed in this book. After reading Mount Dragon, I was expecting a thrill ride. Instead, the story is bogged down in character development (those pesky characters!). The best part of the story is the last 40 minutes!
Brian Steele
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure, scifi, thriller
First, let me say that I LOVE Preston-Child's Pendergast Series. Insanely so. And this book would have had a 4 star review... right up until those last few chapters. I won't give anything away, except to say that I'm pretty sure that either the editors of the publishers started screeching about length/word count, and the duo just... well, wrote the worst ending I've read in years.

I can't even describe how far my WTF Meter went into the red. Five chapters that should have been ten, character acti
WendyB
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, ha-tbr-2018
I'm reading the sequel to this book based only on its very last sentence. My impression is this isn't a bad book but it had so much filler... to the point that I'm thinking this entire novel could have been shrunk down to about 20 pages and used as a prologue to the sequel.
John Beta
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Needed a thrilling adventure, so tried a non-Pendergast Preston novel. Not exactly gripping, but good enough to keep me turning the pages. I enjoy stories that take me to the far reaches of civilization. I then research further and learn some cool things. In this case, Cape Horn.
Red Heaven
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although overall I enjoyed this book, I found it to be a tough read for the most part. It is severely hampered by being almost totally linear, and most of the book takes place in one setting, and that setting is the monotonous cold sea, snow and ice south of Tierra del Fuego. However, the plot did keep me interested enough to keep turning the pages, and the ending is a crackerjack of tension and excitement.

I found it helpful to visualize Palmer Lloyd, the extremely wealthy financier of the proje
Bettie☯

Read by Scott Brick.

6hrs 37sec

Meteorites and diamonds and death in South America. Good enough to have on in the background.

#31 TBR Busting 2013
Chris
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m a big fan of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, so it’s no surprise that I loved this book. Once again I read one of Preston and Child’s books out of order in the series (yes, I mistakenly read the sequel “Beyond the Ice Limit” before reading this one - no matter, it just makes more sense now). I love the attention to detail whether it’s about the science of meteorites or the operation of oil tankers. In the afterward, the authors say the inspiration for the book came, in part, from a missio ...more
Adam Wilson
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
After reading this Preston/Child novel, my first reaction to it was that it would almost certainly make a pretty awesome movie. It would make an awesome movie only if

the movie had a very large budget to make the scenes look amazing and to put some actors in that everyone loves. I say this because in book form The Ice Limit seems to

lack a lot of things. I love Preston/Child, but this may be my least-favorite book of theirs so far. Please notice the three-star rating though. I am not saying it i
Susan Townsend
Sep 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How much did I hate this audiobook?
......As much as I hate those sappy, overwrought personal interest stories they play on the sports channels when they run out of stuff to talk about. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what this audiobook sounds like, minus the violins. I usually like Scott Brick, but this is awful. Didn't like the story, either. It is a cheap knowckoff of Jurassic Park, rich guy funds a stupid self-aggrandizing project without regard to risk to others.

It isn't often I give
Josh
A high-octane suspenseful story that will have you turning pages while the lasagna burns. The characters are relatively flat (although that is not unusual for the genre), and the plot is often predictable, but there are a handful of exciting twists and turns. If you're a fan of technothrillers, The Ice Limit is sure to please. My only complaint is that, instead of a proper ending, we are left with a half dozen fictional news articles intended to wrap up the story. It feels more like the first vo ...more
Arwen56
May 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanzi
Ci casco sempre. Poi mi pento, ma intanto ci casco. Questo romanzo, acquistato e letto nel 2006, costava proprio una miseria, superscontato com’era: neanche 5 euro. Per questo l’ho preso.

Una marea di parole per non raccontare assolutamente niente.

Peggio per me, così imparo a essere così cretina.

🌹Rose☮️
Aug 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Action seekers
Shelves: adventure-action
This is one of these best edge of your seat action books EVER!!! I love this book and the main character (who shows up in other books by these authors) is one of my favorites. If you like action and a little bit of adventure, high-seas and science-fiction, this is for you!
Heather Thurmeier
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As entertaining as I expected from this pair of authors! Love their stories. This one was easy to read, and page-turning that kept me reading too late and carrying my book around the house. If you like Preston/Child books, then this is another good one.
Heather
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Really more of a thriller than sci-fi. Some fun passages about engineering challenges. The characters were a little stereotyped and some were not very believable. There were a few original sci-fi ideas, but they were barely developed.
Mark King
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the Preston and Child duo.
David Bales
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Another complex, brilliant and somewhat exhausting novel by Douglas Preston, the Indiana Jones of fiction where you learn more about stuff from reading a fictional story than from ten non-fiction books. This thriller has to do with obsession for rare things as an expedition to remote Cape Horn Islands off Chile at the bottom of the world attempts to recover a precious and priceless "object" that will be the greatest scientific find in human history--if anyone lives to see it through. Throw in a ...more
Natasha
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
So not my favorite by the author. E.G. Seemed out of character from appearances in other novels and it bothered me- a lot. I value consistency and development of character and that was lacking for Glen. The female characters seemed underdeveloped as well. Especially the captain (who made such an impression I've already forgotten her name).
I enjoyed the action of the plot. Too bad there weren't wonderful characters to tell it.
Larry Hamilton
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
An exciting, thrilling adventure story featuring Eli Glinn and his company Effective Engineering Solutions (which readers of the agent Pendergast series will recognize) as they lead a major research and recovery exhibition at the southern tip of South America. You will be compelled to read book two, Beyond the Ice Limit to find out how the story ends.
Tami
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a nail biter!! The way the chapters were written and titled built up tension as the story moved forward. The characters were very interesting and each flawed in their own critical way to add to the tension and work with or against the other characters. While the idea for the book was borrowed from a real event - it was completely unpredictable. Loved it! A mystery I couldn't figure out well before the end...thank you authors!
David
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent Preston and Child adventure thriller.
Janel Perez
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Love Douglas Preston but this book didn't do it for me. Was bored and tired of waiting for some sort of climax that never came.
LibraryCin
Lloyd (this is his last name) is a super-rich guy who decides he wants to bring a giant meteorite back to the US to his museum from a small island off the coast of Chile, so he brings together a group of people to do so. Plenty of bumps and bruises along the way (apparently, people died, too!).

Sorry for the poor summary. Was listening to the audio and as soon as it was introduced and I hear the narrator (Scott Brick), I thought “oh no”. He has a very nice voice, but it’s also very monotone and
  • Terminal Freeze (Jeremy Logan, #2)
  • Ice Hunt
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
  • Antarktos Rising (Origins, #4)
  • Icefire
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more

Ice Limit (2 books)
  • Beyond the Ice Limit (Gideon Crew, #4; Ice Limit #2)
“J. P. Morgan once said, “If you want something too much, you will not succeed in getting it.” 0 likes
“These were the waves that circled the globe, pushed by the winds, never hitting shore, building, ever building. These were the waves of the Screaming Sixties, the biggest seas on earth.” 0 likes