Start by marking “Toby Streams the Universe” as Want to Read:
Toby Streams the Universe

Toby Streams the Universe

Toby Hay is a psychic living in New York City, supporting his screwed-up family using his visions to play the stock market. He also helps his private investigator best-friend with the occasional case--all while trying not to read the future of every person he meets. Such as Toby's new neighbor, a beautiful painter hiding from her violent Ex. Or Toby's psychic, sex-pot, ...more
Published November 19th 2011 by Waking Dreams Press

To ask other readers questions about Toby Streams the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toby Streams the Universe

Start your review of Toby Streams the Universe
K. Lincoln
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
(in the interest of transparency this author and I both belong to the same online group)

Toby Hay has spent his life locked down under the stern shadow of his brilliant psychiatrist father- but a year ago his father disappeared and Toby is adrift in his life and the Stream.

The Stream: the constant rush of information- past, present, and future, that certain members of Toby's family can access, is spiraling out of control, visions taking over from reality, causing Toby to fall into trance-like
Carol Kean
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Riveting, funny, touching and romantic--

Like other reviewers, I was pleasantly surprised to find this jewel among all the Kindle novels that I dump after the first few pages of unbearable prose. Sometimes I hang in there to the very end, thinking the themes (domestic abuse or teen suicide, e.g.) deserve my attention in spite of the bad writing, but then I don't post a review, not wanting to become the Simon of Amazon (that snide, awful American Idol judge).

The title of this novel almost kept my
Debrac2014
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story about a psychic family who are worried they will become insane from the constant stream of thoughts from around them! Good ending!
April Plummer
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was incredible! I am so glad I got it, and better yet, I got it for free for my Kindle. I haven't read a better free book yet.

This is a book about Toby Hay, a man who can read not only other people's minds but also other people's pasts, presents, and futures. The only problem is that he reads them too often. Used to be he had to concentrate in order to read people. Now, he only needs to be in the vicinity. His psychic mind is getting stronger...and bringing down his sanity fast. The
Sadie Forsythe
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-lendable
4.5
I think Maya Lassiter has made it onto my auto-buy list. Unfortunately, I think the rest of her books are all YA, a genre I'm avoiding at the moment. But this is the second Lassiter book I've read this year and I just seem to love her style and her characters.

I really enjoyed Toby and his growing menagerie, especially Carl. There was humour and snark. There was a touch of romance. There was a bit of mystery. The writing was tight and well edited. Despite the cutesy and off-putting title, I
Andrew
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly special book. A book of enlightenment, trial by fire, true spiritual awakening. I just finished it, and feel both a sense of solid purpose and a giddy anxiety about the future. Reading this book was intensely personal. One of the best I've read in awhile.
Eddie
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Enjoyable. I got into the characters (mostly, I didn't buy into Nan somehow), but I liked most of the main characters, and liked the general idea of the story. I'd recommend it as a decent read, but there was a fair amount of language so it's probably not suited well for most of the people that I would recommend it to.
Derek
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was difficult. On one hand, the world building and characters were really well done. On the other, the middle was bogged down, the Hay entries some times went on too long. To be honest, I now look for and try to only read books I'm excited to return to, I guess we all strive for that. I just remember being in the middle of the book and not necessarily dying to get back into it. That being said, the ending and overall sudo mystery kept me engaged and made me want to finish and find out ...more
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this book. I'm sure some people will find it merely okay or something, but it's 100% perfect for me. Well worth reading even if you end up not loving it quite as much as I did.
Also, I kept thinking it would make an excellent movie, or even a TV series.
Kathryn
The first thing that comes to mind about this book is the imagery. Along with being able to pick things out of people's minds Toby sees things, like the mermaid protectors swimming around his new neighbor with her own dark past. The way the author describes what's going on to Toby and the things Toby is seeing paints an extremely vivid picture. Not only do you get to see what Toby sees, but you get to live what he's living. I found myself fascinated with the author's way of describing it all. ...more
B.L. Hewitt
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Toby Streams the Universe, is another indie writer’s take on the physic detective. Toby Hay comes from a long line of physics, in fact going back to the first entries in the Hay’s family Histories, where his ancestors were stoned to death as witches. He and his sister do not just see the future, or just the past, but everything that is happening now, in the future and in the past of everyone they see or touch or even think about…all at once. No wonder they have all committed suicide by the age ...more
Luc Reid
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like many of his family members going back for generations, Toby can see the future, and his visions are only getting stronger over time. This might not bother him except that as far as he can tell, pretty much every one of his psychic forebears has been driven crazy by the gift--possibly including his psychiatrist father, whose lock-down approach to psychic powers actually seemed to be working until he went missing.

Maybe the greatest strength of this story is how comfortable and enjoyable the
Bethany Platt
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Where do I begin? This book was amazing for starters. Maya wrote this extremely well and I had a hard time putting it down. The language through me at first but only because I'm not used to hearing that type of style everyday. Toby's struggles, as well as the other characters' struggles was amazingly plotted out to keep you turning the page. The descriptions of each vision was amazingly detailed, but too bogged down that you lost sight of the story line. I could imagine feeling what they ...more
Cat
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately I am not eloquent enough to express how good this book is! This book is full of mystery, suspense, romance, humor....and real life. Each character has their own story, and because of Toby's powers, you get to learn a lot of it too - which makes the story that much more enjoyable. At times, this book can be a bit depressing, but the author does a great job of givign you a light at the end of the tunnel. Plus there are humorous bits sprinkled throughout for some comic relief.

I really
✿Claire✿
Wow. This was one of the free kindle books I downloaded when I first got my Kindle and was obsessive about seeing what sort of things I could find to read (it was all exciting at the time!). As I've had mixed results with the free books, I was uncertain about this one as the blurb didn't catch my attention as much as it had when I got it.

I was wrong. This is an amazing story of overcoming some very unusual challenges, both personal and for other people. I thought the characters were well written
Matt Kelland
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The theme of what it would be like to sense the thoughts of others and read their future is nothing new, but this does it really well. It blends romance, a bit of detection, some historical background and insanity into a believable story with great characters. They have everyday lives, and they try to cope with the bizarre things they can do, and mostly not well. But these are not tortured superheroes, they're fragile people struggling to stay sane and cope with simply being alive.

I enjoyed it a
Tommy Howell
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got this as a free ebook from Amazon. The premise struck me enough that I read it immediately and spent the weekend finishing it. The storytelling was crisp and moving, only slightly depressing but with hope where none was expected. I like psychic stories and the particulars of the Hay family gift or curse was quite realistic. There were plenty of twists and turns while the outcome was never in doubt. The imagery was particularly striking. Toby was often seeing things the way his subjects saw ...more
Heather
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Yeah!! What a great story. Toby comes from a long line of psychics who went crazy and committed suicide. He cannot control the flow/stream of info from people so he spends A LOT of time alone in his apartment and drunk. He makes contact with great-aunt Agatha and learns control and the usefulness of his ability. I really enjoyed getting to know these characters. I'm super glad this book is a stand alone. I'm getting kind of tired of being left on the ledge to stay tuned for the continuation of ...more
Trish
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book totally fooled me. I didn't think it would be serious or that good. I was wrong. I loved this book. I was hooked from the beginning when Toby is dangerously close to self destruction because he can't tell the difference between what's real and what's not. Then slowly he begins to piece together scraps of normalcy as he begins to truly understand his gift. I loved the ending. I just may have to read this one again and I'll be looking for other great books from this author.
Daylily
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book during a recent vacation. I would have finished it faster but only got to read it when I had some down between vacation activities and on the flight home. It is an interesting story about Toby Hay and the family secret that he tries to keep hidden.
I am happy as I got this book for free through Kindle and wasn't sure if it would hold my interest. It did.
I would like to read more about Toby and the circle of friends he made into his family.
Rosalind M
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars. Don't let the title mislead you; this is not a lightweight magical romp or a science fiction thriller. The pace seemed slow at times; I almost put the book down more than once, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Maya Lassiter's descriptions of Toby's psychic zone-outs make you experience his disorientation as if it were your own. What really swayed me: the mermaids, a vivid, vibrant personification of one woman's inner strength.
Jenny
I really enjoyed this book surprisingly. I had a hard time getting into it. The pace is slow at the beginning. Once things started clicking in place for Toby, the book became more interesting. I liked all the characters and the plot seemed plausible if such a thing existed. It had a very nice flow. I'd read more of Maya Lassiter's books. I liked her writing style.
Jacque Hodges (Carter)
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I found this book free on kindle and very happy that I did. I would not normally pick up a book on this subject as I don't believe in psychics and have a hard time "suspending my disbelief," but Ms Lassiter snagged me from the beginning. I found some of the dialogue a little juvenile but as I got to know the characters it seemed to fit. Are there sequels? I will read more by this author.
SB CS
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
It took me a while the get caught into the story. The beginning is slow, too slow and it sometimes felt like dragging. Once that was left, the story is great. I'm happy I read this book, it's completely different of what I've read and I really like it. I like all of the characters and how they develop within the story.
Chantelle
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Put a plus in the column of kindle freebies. Five stars for a book I never would have picked up on my own - and I loved it. It's very unlike most other books I read, but I really, really enjoyed it. Well done, Maya Lassiter.
Brian
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Better than I expected. Challenging topic to try and describe and show thoughts, especially as they spiral out of control. The author did a very good job of this. Plus the other characters were interesting, and fun. The ending was a bit sappy, but was still very fun, and I liked it.
Lawrence Bryer
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Surprises and Twists

Maybe it was because I thought I was starting some tech-sci-fi thriller, but I was surprised and delighted from page 1. Maya Lassiter weaves a good yarn.
Sasha
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Awesome book. I loved Toby and his found family. Can't say enough good things about it!
Carrie
Dec 04, 2014 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF
John
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed it. A bit of Sci-Fi mixed with a good romance. Good stuff.

• The Language of Kindness: A Nurse's Story
  • At The Heart Of It
  • Greensmith Girls (Lainswich Witches, #1)
  • Volcano Watch (Forensic Geology #3)
  • Milk the Pigeon: Killing your old life and living the dream
  • The Universe Versus Alex Woods
  • The Doctor Will See You Now
  • Mark of the Loon (Gen Delacourt Mystery, #1)
  • The Professor
  • Little Green (Easy Rawlins, #12)
  • The Babbling Brook Naked Poker Club (Book One)
  • The Man in My Basement
  • The Sun and the Moon (Wexford Family, #2; Lords of Conquest, #2)
  • The Necromancer's Betrayal (The Final Formula, #2.5)
  • The Alchemist's Flame (The Final Formula Series, #3)
  • Plum Lucky (Stephanie Plum, #13.5)
  • The Woodcutter