Start by marking “Angry Aztecs” as Want to Read:
Angry Aztecs

Angry Aztecs

(Horrible Histories)

According to the opening section of Horrible Histories: Angry Aztecs, this book will teach a little bit of history and a lot about people, but the most important thing is that it will teach children everywhere how to drive their teachers stark, staring mad by repeatedly asking the most dreaded question of all: "WHY?"

Why did the Spanish want to steal the Aztecs' treasure?

Published October 17th 1997 by Scholastic Hippo

To ask other readers questions about Angry Aztecs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angry Aztecs

Sophie Crane
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I love horrible histories and this book is no different and it's packed with Dreadful details and gory stories too Full of interesting facts that teach you a lot about how the Aztecs and mayas lived. An easy 5 stars.
Luke Waldron
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
According to the opening section of Horrible Histories: Angry Aztecs, this book will teach a little bit of history and a lot about people, but the most important thing is that it will teach children everywhere how to drive their teachers stark, raving mad by repeatedly asking the most dreaded question of all: "WHY?" Why did the Spanish want to steal the Aztecs' treasure? Why did Aztecs eat scum? Why did Aztecs drink live toads in wine? And why is the world going to end on December 22, 2012? Angr ...more
Carol
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great book with easy to remember history. I didn't love this as much as the Celts one, but that might be because I knew lots of what was mentioned, after all those school years reviewing Mexico's history over and over. Nevertheless, there were still new bits of information, the gruesome ones (not that the regular history wasn't with the sacrifices and all), so I appreciate that. I feel I learnt something new, and I enjoyed the book.
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Why, according to the Aztecs, was the world going to end on December 22, 2012?
Angry Aztecs is recommended reading for grown-ups who want to prepare themselves for the onslaught and an absolute must for children who want to find out a little bit more about the mysterious Aztecs than the serious history books are willing to share.
"Great, grubby fun and an excellent choice for anyone who is curious about these curious of folk."
UM; EXCUSE ME??! I HAD A LOOKY LOO INSIDE THIS TEENSY TOME, AND THE AZ
Elizabeth
A bit meh really. Read with my son as part of a project we did about Mexico and its history. I think there is clearer, better information on the internet. The humour felt forced and often fell flat. Was quite boring to be honest.
amelia forcina
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gruesome

A very gruesome story but you learn a lot from the book it fun and full of facts read it. (I recommend this book to everyone)😃
Victoria Zigler
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting look in to the history of the Maya and Aztecs, which is perfect for any history lover who can deal with the gory bits of history, though you'll miss bits if you're using text to speach to read this book. Also, it was entertaining reading a book that was insisting the world would end four years before the date I read it... Guess they got that prediction wrong. *wink*
Mohammed Rasheen
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book i read in this 'Horrible Histories' series and i'm looking forward to find rest of the books in it n read them. This is very witty book with funny writing and ever funnier illustrations, totally loved this.Even though the facts i found bit extended here and there for humor sake,hats off to terry Deary's and martin brown's Creativity. 4.5 stars
Dane Cobain
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
There’s nothing necessarily wrong with this book, it’s just that the Aztecs themselves aren’t necessarily one of my favourite historical civilizations. Still, I enjoyed learning what Deary had to share on the subject and it was boosted as ever by the illustrations from Martin Brown.

Perhaps it’s because of my relative lack of interest in the subject matter, but I also didn’t get on too well with the little quizzes that were dotted throughout. It was kind of annoying to have to flick backwards and
Katrin
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this series!! All of these books are great fun and they actually teach you much more than boring school books could. What would rather stay on your mind, some dates and facts or some fun caricature and some quiz with ridiculous answers? This one was really bloody and ugly, but that's how this part of history was..
Grace
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I have always loved Horrible Histories and I always will.
Reading them again as an adult is great fun; they are just so sarcastic! And I always learn something new.
And the illustrations are brilliant.
Kestrel Class
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very gruesome but teaches you a lot.
Jorge Rosas
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun approach to the Aztec culture from their origins to their daily life and collapse, the horrible histories approach is a very proper approach to the gruesome culture.
Lyla
May 12, 2018 added it
Shelves: lylas-shelf
It looks goood and interesting I would read it again
Moez Lamti
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terry Deary is a great teacher. Funny, witty, well illustrated, this episode is pure entertainment.
John Naylor
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was gory, interesting and fun. It also debunked other works and legends. As good as any book in the series so far.
Echo
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So much was made of how "weird" and uncivilized the Aztecs were compared to the British. Not how I want my kids to learn about other cultures.
Kathleen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I do enjoy the Horrible Histories, and the Angry Aztecs was pretty horrible. I do wish the title had been something along the lines of Mean Mayans and Angry Aztecs since the Mayans had basically the entire first half of the book, though.

2015 Review:

Okay let's talk about the Horrible Histories.

You may be aware of them as a TV show, which I highly, highly recommend, but you may not be aware that they are also books! Which I also recommend!

It's hard to talk about the Horrible Histories specificall
Nik
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Is a part of the series Horrible Histories It is about Aztecs ,It is a history book but it is also a comic.The auther of the book is Terry Deary.122 pages not including the quiz if we include the quiz 135 pages.The book is more of a comic how i said and it just tells the informatin in a more interesting way.

The book is about how the Aztec impire starts growing it also talks about there religon and what different methods they used to build the pyromids aka Tempels how they found out abou
lprater
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Information book#2 : this fun informational book includes lots of facts about the Aztecs and Mayan Indians in a humorous manner, sure to keep an intermediate student turning pages. The book begins with the purpose, mainly for students to drive their teacher crazy asking great questions about history. The author included a fantastic timeline of both the Yucatan and Mexican areas. Information presented seems accurate with footnotes included on many pages, but written in a manner that is easy to un ...more
Rrabarra
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whoa, whoa, whoa. South American history. Hold on a sec, let me check my history book... Nope, nothing about the gore... Not much about the sacrifices... The Spanish as heroes? Those greedy fella's?
This Horrible Histories book tells all that the history books have been keeping away from you. Even though those Aztecs are so cruel seeming with their sacrifices and all, I can't help feeling sorry for them being wiped out by sicknesses and the Spanish's love of treasure.
Ah, the Aztecs. YOU will l
Leah
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens/Children into History
Recommended to Leah by: I subscribed after watching a TV advert
I subscribed to the series after watching an advert online, and read them as soon as they arrived, and couldn't wait for the next one to come out! They give such great facts about each time period and even on periods I knew about, the magazines contained information I had never heard before.

It was quite interesting to read into the beliefs of such an ancient culture. I loved the page explaing the sports they used to play, which reminded me of basketball.

I just wasn't wowed by this one, I felt in
Janis
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-summer
Not as good as the stone age one I read.. The puns are simply not that funny. Still a good light read for the summer. Good introduction into the Aztecs history. I never knew they were Mexicans and came after the Mayans! The book did mention a lot about human sacrifices, maybe too much so. I'd love to know more about other stuff than the constant mention of hearts being ripped out.
Annushka
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked and enjoyed reading this book. It was really informative and I liked the little drawings that featured in this book. I also liked how it had little quizzes through the book and it was a good way of seeing if I was understanding what I was reading.
khordofon
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Igualmente engraçaralho ao Incríveis Incas. Esse aqui tem a parte final também muito boa, levantando questões sobre os povos oprimidos pelos astecas (que é algo que passa batido em 90% dos livros didáticos pra crianças) de forma até filosófica. Vale a pena.
Gill
Informative and jokey, but after a while the formulaic nature of these books palls. However it does contain a lot of information presented in a way that may appeal to children reluctant otherwise to learn history.
Stuart
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"No one comes to this earth to stay.
Our bodies are like rose trees-
They grow petals then wither and die.
But our hearts are like grass in the springtime,
They live on and forever grow green again".
Maria
Bought this in Dublin airport many years ago. thought i'd never heard of it the description on the back caught my attention. I liked it. The stories, the crazy recipes. i doubt how much truth there is in any of these so called history books but never the less a fun read
Anna
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
History doesn't have to be always heavy. Horrible histories series are great for kids and grown-up to have a laugh on some historical sterotypes. Great.
Jonathan
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting and concise overview of the Aztecs. Strongly recommended to buy a copy if you can find one cheap somewhere as it is an excellent quick read.
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • Murderous Maths (Murderous Maths, #1)
  • Henry the VIII and His Chopping Block
  • Evolve or Die (Horrible Science)
  • The Very Bloody History of Britain (Without the Boring Bits!)
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-Throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)
  • The Vile Victorians