Start by marking “Impossible Dreams” as Want to Read:
Impossible Dreams

Impossible Dreams

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  222 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In this Hugo Award-winning story, movie buff Pete discovers a video store stocked with DVDs of films that were never made: a director's cut of The Magnificent Ambersons; Harlan Ellison's version of I, Robot; The Death of Superman directed by Tim Burton; and even more impossible visions. But there's something even more interesting than the remarkable movies: the woman worki ...more
Nook, 13 pages
Published May 17th 2011 by Tropism Press (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Impossible Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impossible Dreams

Shoa Khan
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Sure, movies can be a way to hide from life, but shit, sometimes you NEED to hide from life, to see a better life on the screen, to know life can be better than it is, or to see a worse life and realize how good you have it. Movies taught me not to settle for less.”

This Hugo-winner is the story of a cinephile Pete, who stumbles upon a dubious-looking, out-of-this-world video rental place by chance, and discovers that there is more to it than meets the eye.

This was a FANTASTIC short read fille
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Pete felt a fist of panic clench in his chest. “This isn’t a movie,” he said.
“No,” Ally said. “It’s better than that. It’s my life.”

Now here's a story for all the movie-lovers out there.

Imagine a parallel universe were to interact with ours in the form of a little video store filled with movies that were never made in our world. A parallel universe where history developed differently and Clark Gable never played in Gone with the Wind.

And now go read this short story!

*Read this for our May Shor
Rebecca McNutt
Impossible Dreams is a book that will appeal to any film fan out there as it follows the main character who discovers many bizarre, surreal and unlikely mashups of various recent, trendy and popular titles/directors. But the films themselves aren't the only mystery that this book holds. The worker at the video store is also a complete surprise. Funny, strange and original, this is a short but rewarding story and I really liked it.
Jeraviz
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
¡Buenísimo! Me ha encantado. Ojalá encontrara un videoclub así. Un gran homenaje a los que amamos el cine.
Irakli Bakuridze
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
- ელი, ვფიქრობ, ეს მშვენიერი მეგობრობის დასაწყისი შეიძლება იყოს.
ელიმ წარბები აზიდა.
- თითქოს რაღაცის ციტირებას ახდენ, მაგრამ არ ვიცი რის.
- ჩვენ ბევრი ფილმი გვაქვს სანახავი, - თქვა პიტმა.
- არა მხოლოდ ფილმები, - უპასუხა ელიმ
Jokoloyo
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I admit I am more biased than usual when rate this story. My pa is a movie-lover, and I watched some classics that mentioned in this story, so I can imagine the protagonist's feeling at the beginning when visited the shop at the first time. This story quickly grasps my sympathy.
Mayank Agarwal
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
Cute short story, highly recommended for a movie buff, being one myself i really enjoyed reading it.
Sandeep
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This little gem gives all the good reasons to be a movie freak. Great comparisons are made by author between movies and one's life.
Mike
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You couldn't ask more of a miracle than it was willing to give."

A short story that greatly benefits from a tightly focused premise: a film fanatic (Pete) stumbles upon a video store with a very strange inventory. Pete's reaction to this and interaction with the clerk provide a deceptively simple framework for a well developed tale with two characters who feel genuine despite the absurdity of the situation. More than once Pete's actions had me thinking "that's what I would do."

There are passages
Dennis
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The 2007 Hugo Award winner for best short story.

This is such a wonderful story, that appeals to me on so many levels.

You can read it here.
Mira Yunus
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this a 6 stars? It swept me off my feet, well-written, fast and I don't expect it to end so impossibly cute. Easily one of my favorite sci-fi short stories of all time.
Bharath Thampi
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I might be a lesser movie buff than Pete in the story is, but I still do watch a hell of a lot of movies. And this is one short sweet story for Cinephiles.
Fatimah
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Sure, movies can be a way to hide from life, but shit, sometimes you need to hide from life, to see a better life on the screen, to know life can be better than it is, or to see a worse life and realize how good you have it. Movies taught me not to settle for less."

A DVD-rental store from the parallel world. Such a great concept with outstanding story-telling. I've been wishing for a partner that shares the same passion about movies (and books), Pete and Ally sure made me envy. The ending made
Pete Majarich
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Magical and movie-inspired. Like a tiny episode of Black Mirror without all the horrific ‘downsides-of-technology’ overtones.
Danyel
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story, especially because I am a bit of a film buff myself. It was heart warming and entertaining.
Denise McLachlan
Sweet so-fi

I loved this story, it was sweet and fantastic and a great fantasy. The characters were likeable and I want to know more, what happened next...
poiboy
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story with a refreshed theme (that has been used over and over in scifi and fantasy). It was the perfect length.. even if I wanted more.
Jamie
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This 2007 Hugo award winner for best short story is a fun, amusing The Twilight Zone inspired tale of a young film buff who discovers a movie rental shop from a parallel universe.
Bookaholic
Literatură despre lumi paralele și nesfârșitele lor posibilități în relitățile alternative s-a scris și se va mai scrie. În Impossible Dreams Tim Pratt și-a ales din acest univers de lucruri care se întâmplă în paralel cu alte infinite universuri de lucruri un subiect încântător în aparenta lui lipsă de importanță vitală – felul în care s-ar putea termina filmele în alte lumi.

Printr-o defecțiune în matrice, sau chiar o gaură în toată regula, în lumea lui Pete apare în fiecare seară, pentru scurt
Alberto Garcia Ariza
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Un relato muy cortito pero muy bonito. Una manera perfecta de contar una historia muy intersante y mezclarlo con un alegato a favor del cine que todos conocemos, el cine que hemos visto y el que podríamos haber visto. No digo más. Aunque está en inglés, se sigue perfectamente y si os interesa es muy facil encontrarlo en archive.org. Ánimo, que dura lo que se tarda en tomarse un café.
Adriii
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ciencia-ficcion, cine
Qué maravilla. Un relato que combina el mundo "universos alternativos" con el amor por el cine de una forma maravillosa. Aunque objetivamente se que era algo difícilmente alargable a una novela, da mucha pena no poder conocer más de ese mundo cinéfilo alternativo.

Realmente recomendable. Lo tenéis para leer de forma gratuita en archive.org, no llega ni a las 20 páginas.
Juan
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-english-pila
Muy buen relato de ciencia ficción acerca de las particularidades de moverse a través de universos paralelos y con la eterna pregunta de ¿qué pasaría si...?.

Ameno y corto (dos horas como mucho). Ideal para desatascar la mente después de una lectura pesada.

Jesús
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Este relato, es imprescindible para todo aquellos amantes de la ciencia ficción, a los que le guste tambien el cine de este género.

El relato está disponible unicamente en inglés, pero es un inglés muy sencillo y accesible, así que no es escusa.

Carol Mola
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, relatos
Quizás un poco moñas al final, pero en general me ha gustado XD
Jeff Peters
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
One of the best short stories I have ever read. I feel bad for the universe in which this story does not exist.
Karl
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story. Twilight zone-ish.
Eija
Jul 20, 2012 marked it as to-read-short
Mahdottomat unelmat - Portti 3/2007
Juan Luis García-Alonso
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amena y muy recomendable.

Gracias VerdhugosPodcast
Doreen
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this story seems to be specially written to movie buffs/nerds... love it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Robbie
  • Captive Girl
  • Hell is the Absence of God
  • For Want of a Nail
  • Identity Theft and Other Stories
  • Antihypoxiant
  • The Walls of the Universe (Universe, #1)
  • Venus of Dreams
  • Diamond Dogs
  • The Wandering Earth
  • Two Hearts (The Last Unicorn, #1.5)
  • A Martian Odyssey
  • Apex Magazine Issue 50
  • Snow in the Desert
  • Kaleidoskop
  • Other People
  • The Huntress
  • Ralph 124C 41+: A Romance of the Year 2660
Also writes as T.A. Pratt and T. Aaron Payton
“Sure, movies can be a way to hide from life, but shit, sometimes you NEED to hide from life, to see a better life on the screen, to know life can be better than it is, or to see a worse life and realize how good you have it. Movies taught me not to settle for less.” 1 likes
“You couldn't ask more of a miracle than it was willing to give.” 0 likes