Start by marking “How People Grow: What the Bible Reveals About Personal Growth” as Want to Read:
How People Grow: What the Bible Reveals About Personal Growth

How People Grow: What the Bible Reveals About Personal Growth

All growth is spiritual growth. Authors Drs. Cloud and Townsend unlock age-old keys to growth from Scripture to help people resolve issues of relationships, maturity, emotional problems, and overall spiritual growth. They shatter popular misconceptions about how God operates and show that growth is not about self-actualization, but about God’s sanctification. In this theol ...more
Published May 10th 2004 by Zondervan (first published October 16th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How People Grow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How People Grow

Sameh Maher
كتاب رائع واكثر من رائع
من الكتب القليلة التى ستضعها على رفك وعليها علامة تقرأ لمرات ولمرات ...
على الرغم من انه قد يكون مملا قليلا فى بداية وتقليدى الا ان موضوع النمو من المواضيع الهامة التى شرحها الكاتبان ببراعة منقطعة النظير وببساطة شديدة وعمق قوى
الكتاب يشرح فى موضوع النمو عدة مواضيع مرتبطة به مثل الالم والوقت واستجابة الله للصلاة
فهدف الكاتبان فى النهاية ان يظهرا عمليا واقعية الكتاب المقدس وكيف يتناول قضية الحياة كلها اى النمو
الكتاب مرتب ومنظم وبعد ان تنهيه ولا بد انك ستشعر بالحنين الى فقرات ك
Jeff
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-book-list
A bit too long, but a great practical book on spiritual growth.

For us to grow, God's role is to be the source/provider. Our role is to depend on the source. We depend on God for life and for all that we need. God's role was and is to provide. Our role was and is to receive.

To solve life's problems and grow spiritually are one and the same.

In redemption, we come back to God as the source of life. We retreat from our independence from him and our attempt to be self-made.

The Body of Christ is a
Denise
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reading this has been like having 2 faithful friends (the authors) who will gently sit down with you and open up things that you've needed to see about yourself and challenge you to make changes. The way they share God's grace in the process makes it a safe "place" to experience genuine growth.
My boyfriend & I each have a copy of this book, and we have been reading it a little bit at a time over the last several months.
It has revealed things to each of us that has given us the freedom to fa
Blake Moore
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
Really liked it - practical growth steps with clear spiritual principles.

A link between age-old spiritual thoughts and modern psychological discoveries, "How People Grow" is a readable (though at times quite dense) guide for the human growth process. Not just spiritually, but emotionally, mentally, and even physically. It fulfills it's title.

Displaying a high emphasis on the growth group, one-another relationships, and time (as opposed to the classic "microwaved" results); HPG was well worth i
Daniel Park
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Listened to this on libby. Wish he had gone into more depth, but I guess thats what his other books are for.
Joel Wentz
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cloud & Townsend are probably best known for their various co-authored books under the moniker "Boundaries", but this lesser-known book is a very strong, intensely practical look at how all people experience spiritual growth. It is extremely comprehensive, and quite easy to read. Not everyone will find each chapter particularly helpful, but I would argue that there is something in this book for everyone. I particularly resonated with the chapters regarding God's grace, the growth in forgiven ...more
Jannywhale
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this amazing book. I have not come across one that speaks so much to me and has given me such a comprehensive insight into Christian living. The authors have laid down the fundamental principles in simple yet practical ways for Christians to walk and grow in our relationship with God. Anyone who has read this book would find it spiritually enriching and empowering. I appreciate the practical summary given at the end of each chapter as well as the thought provoking questions ...more
Stella
Jan 04, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: everyone!
Here's an excerpt:

"We can't grow unless we are sure that we are both known and loved. Some people like us because they don't know us; some know us, and therefore don't like us. Relationship can't occur unless both knowledge and love are present." - (p. 150)
Pamela Beer
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Helps folks see their personal growth from a biblical perspective.
Sam
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent book overall, though I thoroughly disagree theologically with their point on unconditional eternal security towards the end of the book in the chapter on forgiveness "Some have never been taught how forgiven they are, once and for all.". Otherwise, wholeheartedly recommend.

"In trying to become like God, they became less like themselves. This is why we need spiritual growth, we have become less of what we were created to be."

The realization that we have come to the end of ourself, ego
Luke Pinion
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recently read through How People Grow as part of a leadership class. The book is fairly long and very dense, but I feel that every part of it was necessary. The authors pull from their expertise on both Christian theology and psychology and do such an amazing job of discussing the topics at hand with both of these perspectives.

The book starts out with a general overview of theological topics such as sin and each person of the Trinity, and then moves into more general themes like the importance
David
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is very well written and easy to read. However, it pre-supposes that you have access to a supportive church or group of friends who want to help you grow or reach your goals. I actually tried discussing parts of this book with people at a church near where I live and they strongly disagreed with the author and advocated that we should do nothing and have faith in God solving our problems. The author of 'How People Grow' would disagree with this conclusion, but he does heavily argue that ...more
Mark Elliott
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book with a lot of practical insight into people. How we grow, the why, and what it takes to move us from being comfortable to actually putting the hard work into growing. Each chapter takes a unique approach to relating to the reader in a variety of different ways but includes scriptures to also substantiate how these relate to the Christ follower. It is a book written by two men with their doctorates in psychology and reads accordingly.
Edy Gies
This book is absolutely phenomenal. I find great wisdom in books by Cloud and Townsend because they depend heavily on the Bible and logic. You will not find "touchy feely" self-help advise here, but rather the admonition to work hard on personal development based on Biblical principles. This would be a great read for anyone in Christian leadership.
Nyssa
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I appreciate the idea and the content, it did drag and was repetitive. I also found that I disagreed with their interpretation of scripture which was glazed over to emphasize their perspective. Often I agreed with their perspective, but it was just kind of frustrating. Decent book, but could have been written better and more concisely.
Simone
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read almost all of Dr. Cloud's books. This one is one of my favourites. In the top 5 for sure. My very favourites besides "Boundaries", are "Safe People" and "Never Go Back". They are have been extremely integral in guiding my life. If you enjoyed this book you may also be interested in "After You Believe: Why Character Matters" by NT Wright.
D.J. Hamon
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wisdom and information that are vital to overcoming life obstacles is presented in a well organized way. I went with 4 stars because the length and complexity made it tedious at times. I’m willing to consider that was internal, and the book is worthy of 5 stars. Nonetheless, I highly recommend it to people stuck in a phase and leaders helping others progress.
Mark Manderson
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book on the power and growth from confrontation.
Top takeaways:
Confrontation is the way to help people know their need!
Acceptance if a prerequisite of growth. Can't stay a victim.
The truth is often hurtful/painful. Like a surgeons knife, the healing power comes with pain.
Greg Prosch
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Healthy balance of theology and psychology

Cloud and Townsend have done a masterful job of balancing the tension of theology and psychology. I thoroughly enjoyed their experience based insights into the principles necessary for transformative growth.
Carleen
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
"What the Bible says is that having an attitude of embracing suffering will protect against sin." -Dr. Henry Cloud
Kelly Sweet
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read! No regrets...
Stephen Macey
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short book and I think they are definitely on the right track with the growth topic. I think I'll re-read it as it didn't all sink in properly the first time
Alan
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-it-again
Worth reading again. Crystal clear.
People are placed in our lives as God's means for our growth.
Hannah Gies
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Practical. Biblical. A breath of fresh air. If you're in the business of helping people grow, or you're seeking your own spiritual growth, you need to read this book.
Liz
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solid, thorough work-through of all the elements of personal growth, with support to show how all growth is spiritual growth. Cloud and Townsend always come through.
Rob Markley
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
A dry read but he is absolutely right - God does use other people around us to help us grow. Also a refreshing take on the reasons for grief
Lucía Ayala
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much to learn from Cloud and Townsend, I am very thankful for this book that has challenged my personal life and the way I approach my relationships.
Anita
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book to fulfil the goal "read a book with multiple authors" I didn't learn a whole lot. i expected too. the biggest thing i got out of this was the importance of the church body for growth and support. we can't make this journy through mortality without our fellowman. so thankful for all my friends that support me, whether they are part of my 'official religion' or not.
Laura Haske
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
A reasonable and holistic approach to Christian counseling and personal growth in general.
Stephanie
Oct 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm not saying this is a horrible book - I'm not saying that at all. I am saying it is certainly not the type of book I enjoy or would normally read on my own volition. I know there are people out there who can and should benefit from reading this, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.
  • Addiction and Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions
  • The Cry of the Soul: How Our Emotions Reveal Our Deepset Questions about God
  • Beyond Boundaries: How To Know When It's Time To Risk Again
  • Inside Out: Real Change Is Possible If You're Willing to Start from The...
  • Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide
  • How to Help People Change: The Four-Step Biblical Process
  • Redemption: Freed by Jesus from the Idols We Worship and the Wounds We Carry
  • Sacred Pathways: Discover Your Soul's Path to God
  • Posers, Fakers, and Wannabes: Unmasking the Real You
  • Spiritual Mentoring: A Guide for Seeking & Giving Direction
  • Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation
  • Healing the Masculine Soul: How God Restores Men to Real Manhood
  • Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • The Critical Journey: Stages in the Life of Faith
  • Every Heart Restored: A Wife's Guide to Healing in the Wake of a Husband's Sexual Sin
  • The Language of Love: How to Quickly Communicate Your Feelings and Needs
  • Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina
“ACTION IS ALWAYS AN integral part of growth. Spiritual growth does not “happen” to us; it requires a great deal of blood, sweat, and tears,” 1 likes
“In redemption we reconcile things to the way they were supposed to be. We become dependent and give up our independent stance before God and others. We give up trying to control things we cannot control and yield to and trust God’s control. Also, we regain control of what we were created to control in the first place, which is ourselves. We regain the fruit of “self-control.” We give up the role of playing judge with ourselves and others by giving up judgmentalism, condemnation, wrath, shaming, and so on so that we are free to experience ourselves and others as we really are. So, by not being God, we are free to be who we truly are and allow others to be who they truly are as well. We stop redesigning life and making new rules and instead live the life God designed us to live. For example, God designed marriage, but humans rewrite the rules to make cohabitation or serial monogamy a new design with disastrous consequences. In redemption we begin to do it God’s way.” 1 likes