Start by marking “Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge” as Want to Read:

The coauthor of the classic bestseller Boundaries, with over 2 million copies sold, and an expert on the psychology of business and leadership performance explains the behavioral reasons why some people get great results and others don't.

In Boundaries for Leaders, Dr. Henry Cloud gives leaders the tools and techniques they need to achieve the performance they d
Audiobook
Published April 16th 2013 by HarperAudio (first published April 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Boundaries for Leaders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boundaries for Leaders

Start your review of Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge
Ying Ying
In this book, Dr. Cloud talks about many concepts that help a leader be ridiculously in charge. My key take-away is related to how the executive brain works. There are three main functions: directing attention, inhibiting attention and being aware of the process. This means defining the right focus, identifying the things that are 'forbidden', and being able to tell the progress.

The concept of inhibiting attention can be related to the concepts discussed in his book Boundaries: When
Shaun Lee
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After having read so so many books, am so glad that Cloud delivers one that I like so so very much! He draws from a lifetime of psychological study and experience in consulting with CEOs in writing this book. Real life stories are used to great effect to illustrate complicated or abstract principles. Sometimes he gets lost in retelling the stories that he forgets to reinforce the point (and we have to refer to the subtitle to figure out what he is trying to say).

Nevertheless, I highl
Đức Cường
Not too amazing for a sixteen-years-old me, but I’m sure this book will be my choice in the future as I will have more experience in leader.
Daeus
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books, business
I found this very insightful for some of my experiences of team learned-helplessness at work (one instance where it was overcome and one where it was not really and I left). Sometimes there are a few leaps/assumptions, and some of it is just repetition/filler, but overall really solid perspective. I think I'm going to have to read this every now and then throughout my career.

Quotes:
- "Hard on the issue, but soft on the person."
- "...transference, whereby people experience
Donny Teeter
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very useful information for setting work boundaries in general.
Lora
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boundaries For Leaders really caught my eye because ...well, it's by Dr. Henry Cloud and he writes great books! And this new one from him does not disappoint.

It's not exactly what I thought it might be about. I sort of picked it up hoping it was about leaders setting boundaries for their own time, etc., and, boy, was I going to read it aloud to my leader-husband. LOL

In reality, it's about how leaders can (and should) create boundaries for those they are leading--boundaries that they
Annie
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
The book covers basic concepts for leading a team or company. It's not particularly interesting nor does it get to the point. I didn't even know why it was titled "Boundaries for Leaders" until a few chapters in. It's about setting boundaries for the teams. The main point is the culture within the team exists through what the leader had created or allowed. If there is a team member who is pessimistic and is bringing everyone else down, the leader is allowing that behavior to become prevalent. Th ...more
Shaun
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good leadership book. It taught me how to create a work culture where people love to work. Below are the main points I learned:

1. Help people attend to what is important, inhibit what is not important or toxic, and remember what they are doing.
2. Create an emotional environment that is free of the wrong kinds of stress.
3. Build teams that are deeply connected.
4. Help people to think optimistically and root out pessimism.
5. Help people get in control of what
April Sarah
There are some great points in this book, but nothing was truly life (and habit) changing for me. It may be because I have found myself some wonderful leaders to mentor me. However if you are just starting a leadership journey this would be a great book to look into.
Barry
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
The concepts are pretty simple and not earth shattering. Pay attention to the people around you and treat them well. Not rocket science.
Brian Pate
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book did not grip me. I really enjoy hearing Cloud speak, but this book was bland. Decent leadership lessons, but nothing earth-shattering.
Sam
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Excellent book!)

As a leader, you get what you create and what you allow.

Leaders are ridiculously in charge

I am ridiculously in charge. I will have the culture I create and I will not have the culture I will not allow to exist. You are either allowing it or building it. Own it.

the vision, goals/purposes, behavior, rules;

Leaders boundaries define what is and isn’t going to be.

Successful leaders are responsible for the vision, focus, attention activities tha
Holly Williams
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a good book! I highly recommend this book to ANYONE in leadership or ANYONE that wants to be in leadership or ANYONE that manages people. It has challenged my thinking and helped me to view leadership and people in new ways!

Some of my favorite quotes are:

“Hard on the issue, soft on the person.”

“The leader’s job is to lead in ways such that people can do what they are best at doing: using their gifts and their brains to get great results.”

“People change their behavior and thinking not be
Trent Ross
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a real struggle to finish. The ideas and leadership philosophies presented were mostly straightforward and agreeable, but never really broken into the enlightening. Additionally, the concepts frequently felt shoehorned into poor analogies to fit his theme.

Dr. Cloud provides plenty of personal examples that gave off serious self-aggrandizing vibes but little evidence to support his claims that this is all science. While I do actually believe the brain science he starts with, I do wonder
Catherine Nelson
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not at all what I was expecting, but absolutely golden. This one is a must for anyone who wants to lead a team well. Useful, practical information and insights.

The thing I really appreciated about this book was that so much of what Dr. Cloud was saying aligned with so much of what other great business leaders/writers say. He just came at it from a little different direction, with more psychology and human behavior (of course, he is a psychologist), which made it feel like coming full circle on
Jamie Meyer
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-empty-shelf
If you’ve ever had a conversation with me about books you’ve probably had me recommend “Boundaries”, I think every person needs to read that book. It’s so important. But what Boundaries does for people in their personal life, Boundaries For Leaders does for anyone in leadership. It tackles head on the difficulties leaders face, disfunction among teams, lack of trust, leading yourself, and so many other areas. If you are in a position of leadership you need to read this book! As a leader, you are ...more
Anthony Brown
I enjoyed the content, but I found Cloud's original Boundaries book to be much more insightful. While this book has a business focus, I felt it was not as helpful to me as the original book. I suppose I am also starting to limit my reading of "leadership" books. The reason being is that once you've grasped the basic principles of leadership (from the Bible and Ancient Greece onward) you're pretty much going to read/hear the same things packaged in different ways. I'm sure this book with speak to ...more
Troy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last chapter is the golden nugget!

I enjoyed most of the book, but the last chapter was worth the entire book. It is where the gold was. I learned more in that chapter than the rest of the book combined.

Personally, I think Dr. Cloud should have focused on that area more than any other.

The book is chalk full of illustrations and stories to fill in the gap between practical real life and theory.

Thank you Sir!
Beckie
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
"Leaders are ultimately responsible. Leaders build structures. Immunize the team against failure. Executive function needed: pay attention (are we doing what we should be doing), inhibit (don't do what shouldn't be done), stay current - attending, inhibiting, remembering. How much getting together to we need and at what intervals, to build relationships." I didn't love this and the advice seems very abstract. Narration was good.
Jennah Margaret
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dr. Cloud can sound a bit antiquated at times with pointing out that it's necessary to not be overly harsh or direct constantly - but he does have a lot of meaningful insights and reminders. He has a great way of simplifying things to keep in mind and breaking down complex problems in a approachable way.
Ellis Morning
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book crystallizes many of those important leadership qualities that you admire in your good bosses (and long for under your dysfunctional bosses)! There’s also the important acknowledgement that if our brains aren’t properly engaged, we can’t perform—period. Leaders and subordinates have a lot to learn from the examples laid out here.
Tony
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helps you to understand the importance of how boundaries can help a leader and an organization to be better. It is full of insight into the nature of leadership and how it is easy to get distracted by outside influences that can pull you away from your goals and the actual vision of an organization.
Claire
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book. Really made me reflect on my priorities and how I spend my time. Also made me reflect on my role as a leader and my experience being led. Highly recommend to anyone in any kind of leadership position.
TBLL
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
I listened to this book and then bought the hard back version. I listened and took notes in a journal as I went. At the end of the book he describes three types of leaders and hopefully, I am the first one!
D.J. Hamon
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is both a good primer for newer leaders, and a solid review for upper-level leaders. This will separate real leaders from mere managers. Most importantly, a good framework for team building and self-growth is outlined.
Marvia Davidson
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good for leaders of all sorts and anyone who wants to get better at being an effective leader, parent, teacher, guide, etc. Tips, tools, and strategies on engaging people on the work and leading one’s self and others.
Tonya
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best leadership books I have ever read for my business! His ideas are clear and concise and very usable! I recommend this book to anyone who is in a leadership position in their job or career.
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I make a fairly significant leadership transition, this book has given me both practical and mindset tools to establish and maintain healthy boundaries to promote a positive, and productive culture. It is, quite possibly, one of the best books on leadership I’ve ever read.
Josh Baker
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has tons of good insights about culture creation and how to recognize certain patterns of behavior in a workplace.
Charles
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this - I saw lots of things in this books that I see at work. Need to go back through and read a bit slower to make a list of things to try at work.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business
  • Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Leadershift: The 11 Essential Changes Every Leader Must Embrace
  • The Infinite Game
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Leaders Eat Last
  • The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
  • How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority
  • Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck—Why Some Thrive Despite Them All
  • The Emotionally Healthy Leader: How Transforming Your Inner Life Will Deeply Transform Your Church, Team, and the World
  • Silos, Politics and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable about Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues Into Competitors
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • I Am Second: Real Stories. Changing Lives.
  • The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace: Empowering Organizations by Encouraging People
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public seminars around the country
“hard on the issue, soft on the person.” 3 likes