Start by marking “A Book Dragon” as Want to Read:
A Book Dragon

A Book Dragon

Nonesuch, the last in a line of dragons, uses his unique ability to change in size to survive for six centuries, during which time he observes such different humans as a medieval monk, an eighteenth-century London chemist, and a modern American bookseller.
Mass Market Paperback, 197 pages
Published March 1991 by Avon Books (Mm) (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A Book Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Book Dragon

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,147 books — 2,204 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHis Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Best Book With or About Dragons
601 books — 749 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How have I not reviewed this delightful book before? A tragedy!

This charming, charming tale is the story of a dragon who becomes obsessed with watching a monk illuminate beautiful book. Dragons, you see, can make themselves larger or smaller, depending on what they eat. A steady diet of humans will make them as large as a cottage, but this dragon, in order to watch the manuscript taking shape, starts eating smaller and smaller prey: vermin, insects, etc, so that he is small enough to hide within
Cheryl
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Available on Open Library.)

Read it twice now, not charmed. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but not for me.
Maybe too episodic. No real substance; we just skim along the centuries. I do like the butterflies. And I like that a certain villain is also a bibliophile. But I just kept waiting for something to reach into my heart or soul and nothing ever did.

Not sure of the audience, either. Totally fine for kids age 10 up, but no child characters, and in many ways smart enough for adults. Maybe if I
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is the first book I've read by Kushner, and, I must say, I love his style of writing. Here he tells the story of a dragon, Nonesuch, from his life in as a youngster five hundred years ago to today, as he guards his treasure, an illuminated manuscript of the Book of Hours. Kushner introduces some dragon lore that I've never heard before, such as a dragon's ability to change size by eating or fasting allows him to hide in modern times, and a dragon's being visible in the flames of a fire. Par ...more
Robert Runte
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian-sf-f
Review from circa 1989

This is one of those books that almost makes me wish I was a classroom teacher again, because it's the sort of thing that demands to be read to a room full of 12 year olds.

A Book Dragon is the delightful tale of Nonesuch, a dragon who adopts an illustrated manuscript as his personal treasure and defends it against all comers. Nonesuch survives into the present day by shrinking to insect size, and becomes a fly-on-the-wall observer of various human comings and goings. Kushne
Cynthia Egbert
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: prospector-loans
This story was not as smooth as I would have liked but the story is so sweet and covers so much of the England history that I love so I appreciated it overall. If you love books and/or English history you will enjoy this one.

A few bites:

"For several generations now, they had lost the ability to breathe fire. The only traces that remained of this once mighty power were the internal fires that caused their eyes to glow and to give forth enough light for the dragons to find their way in pitch darkn
GoldGato
I own over three thousand books and have read many more. But this charming book is on my Top Ten all-time list. The story of a dragon who finds its ambition as a Book Dragon is whimsical and also sad, in a way. It takes Nonesuch the Dragon a while to find his bookworm ambition, six centuries in fact. The adventures take the reader through the ages, and children will be in wonderment at the description of plague-stricken London and caves full of treasure.

This is the kind of story that allows us t
Mary Catelli
A little marvel of a book. The story of the dragon Nonesuch, growing up with his grandmother, and what she taught him. Particularly the importance of guarding his treasure. How she left him and he learned how to grow smaller as well as larger, and how he came to regard an illuminated Book of Hours as his treasure, and what he had to do to guard it.

The interior art is something else. It's the lovely little marginalia like that it describes in the Book of Hours that give it a particularly nice tou
Trace
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
September 18, 2015 - Reading this at the same time as my son (each on our own)... it is pure delight so far!!

This book was a delightful read. The subject matter would delight most boys.... the author has a lovely way of writing without 'dumbing' down, as sometimes is the case with modern books aimed at youth. He pulls in history, mythology into this fascinating fairy tale.

I was delighted to learn that this author was a local author from my city! Definite recommend.
Debbie
Apr 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a charming book. Though it was written for children, it's a story that adults will enjoy as well, filled with history and even some (well-hidden) philosophy. It's a short book and an easy read. While I loved the story, I also enjoyed the little illustrations that pepper the margins of the book as well, like an illuminated manuscript. The book's out of print, but snatch it up if you see it at a used book sale. I'm glad I did.
Teresa
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Awww, that was precious, though the ending was... odd? But yes, I would love a book dragon to reside in my library too!
Karin
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, fiction
Great writing. A whimsical book about a good dragon who decides to guard an illuminated book as his treasure.

Not sure that kids today would like it esp. if they were trying to find books about dragons. Nonesuch doesn't do much but sleep and watch the centuries go by until he discovers himself and his illuminated book has come to America-on a plane. He stays awake now and saves the bookstore owner who has bought the box with the book from a greedy man who wants to build a hotel on his property.
Andreas
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
A Book Dragon is not a story, so much as a bunch of barely related stories with a previously unmentioned theme being tacked on at the end. While the parts that are there, unrelated as they are, never veers into a territory I would call "bad," there's just nothing interesting about it. It's just bland text with nothing to offer. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because I don't think anyone needs to.
Michelle Rivers
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It may be my bias towards dragons speaking, but I LOVED this book! It felt fansiful, yet realistic at the same time. And watching Nonesuch grow felt natural, not too detailed. Everything about this book I love, from our dragon's travels to the characters he meets. It's a fun, quick read that I thoroughly enjoyed. The illustrations are a nice touch, as well!
Paperclippe
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say about this except that I loved it. Sweet, enjoyable, easy fantasy with a nice payoff at the end. And some nice scientific and historical details sprinkled in there too. Good stuff.
Leisel Sempf
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story of the dragon who lived within the pages of a book for over 1000 years
Matt
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been trying to remember the name of this book forever. I read it a bunch of times as a kid and remember loving it.
Casey Miller
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exactly the type of book I would have loved as a kid, and thoroughly enjoyed as an adult.
Cassandra White
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun review of history from the point of a non-human.
India
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
This book is simply a charming break from the world. I lost myself in Nonesuch's life, and never truly wanted to end. I wanted to pop in and out of his life for decades to come rather than a few quick weeks.

If you need a small relief from the blistery cold of winter, I suggest an adventure with Nonesuch!
Pam Baddeley
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children
This charming little tale combines two of my favourite things, books and dragons. Nonesuch starts off as a regular dragon, raised by his grandmother who has a hoard of gold, jewels etc, which every dragon needs, as she teaches him. He witnesses the demise of various family members at the hands of humans and also witnesses the savagery of human beings against each other in early mediaeval England. Then his grandmother sort of commits suicide by crawling down to the hot interior of the earth and w ...more
Marlowe
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Dragons must have a treasure to guard, or so says Nonesuch’s grandmother. But when Nonesuch finds himself alone and getting smaller, he embraces his new size and finds a new sort of treasure.

Over the course of the novel, Nonesuch travels through a number of time periods, stopping for longer stays in a Medieval monastery, and then again in the modern era. On the way, he passes through the War of the Roses, the Black Plague, the Fire of London, the dawn of the Age of Reason, and World War II (thro
Denae Christine
The only thing interesting? The dragon shrinks when he stops eating. He talks with random animals on unimportant things and gets a sentence on defending his book from bugs. He spends pages talking with his mom and walking through the very hot cavern. He spends chapters listening to a bookstore be cajoled and threatened by a rich buyer, and then (view spoiler)
Could have been 3 pages. I kept waiting for it to get in
Sharon
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This charming fantasy tale concerns Nonesuch, a dragon who begins his life in the forest, but then becomes the inspiration for an illuminated figure in a medieval manuscript. Because all dragons must guard a treasure, Nonesuch decides that he must guard this book. He goes to sleep in the box where his book is kept and, through various adventures and events, wakes up again in a modern-day bookshop. Truly a delightful story, and one I enjoyed just as much upon my re-read as I did the first time ou ...more
Maria Renate
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another one of those unexpected tails. I first read this book when I was very young and they still kept good books in the library children's section. I think I found the very same copy at the library sale when they got rid of it. It's about a dragon who learns to rethink aspects of dragonhood from his grandmother, and so gets on in a world that increasingly has no place for dragons. At least of the usual size.
K A Lewis
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This unique book is one of my favorite books of all time, and among the best dragon books ever written. A glorious and detailed fantasy about a smallish dragon and his treasure - a medieval illustrated manuscript - that has the flavor of a legend or a classic George MacDonald fairy tale. I re-read it every couple of years.
Sam Poole
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Very cute and fun. A dragon goes on a diet after his grandmother goes into the center of the earth and becomes tiny, then adopts an illuminated manuscript with a dragon modeled after him as his treasure. He sleeps for a few centuries then helps out a small local book store. Light hearted though at times written in a rather stodgy style.
Brian
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
One of the more dull books about dragons that I've read (until the last 40 pages, when something exciting actually takes place) this chronologue of the experiences of a dragon over 6 centuries would be of little interest to children, despite including some history lessons. If you like dragons, go read Tui Sutherland's Wings of Fire series.
Daleb.
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes dragons, or who have/know of children who luv to be read to.
Recommended to Daleb. by: I haven't a clue how i learned of this book, but i suspect it was while i worked at Waldenbooks ages ago.
I've got this book packed away somewhere back in east Texas at my parents home. I've read it several times and luv the story of this fine little dragon. The illistrations are fantastic. Why can't they still do stuff like this in books???
A very great lite read, that is sure to pick you up and make you smile
xoDaleB.xo
Marie
May 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
The title and blurb alone got me; I can't wait to read it.

ETA: I really enjoyed this; it had a childish slant to it, but there was something so adult about the story. It was also so descriptive, I could imagine Nonesuch the Dragon quite clearly.
Emily
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-lit
When I was younger my grandmother bought this book for me as a gift at a yard sale. I still have this book, it is slightly beat up and worn from many readings. The book was a great read in my youth and I will even admit to pulling it off the shelf for a re-read as an adult. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Forgotten Classic...: Anybody want to read A Book Dragon? 1 8 Jan 22, 2018 12:21PM
  • Classic Fairy Tales
  • The Dragonling (The Dragonling, #1)
  • A Treasury of Children's Literature
  • Jack and the Baked Beanstalk
  • Catfantastic: Nine Lives and Fifteen Tales
  • Cat in the Mirror
  • Support Your Local Wizard (Young Wizards, 1-3)
  • The Witch Watch
  • The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Liaden Unibus I (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #1-6)
  • Lightfoot the Deer
  • Draw One in the Dark (Shifters, #1)
  • Where the Giant Sleeps
  • Unicorns!
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • I Was a Child of Holocaust Survivors
  • On the Razor's Edge (Spiral Arm, #4)
  • Franklin and Winston: A Christmas That Changed the World