Start by marking “Designing Data-Intensive Applications” as Want to Read:
Designing Data-Intensive Applications

Designing Data-Intensive Applications

ebook, Early Release - Raw & Unedited, 562 pages
Published by O'Reilly (first published April 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Designing Data-Intensive Applications, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing Data-Intensive Applications

Start your review of Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Emre Sevinç
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I consider this book a mini-encyclopedia of modern data engineering. Like a specialized encyclopedia, it covers a broad field in considerable detail. But it is not a practice or a cookbook for a particular Big Data, NoSQL or newSQL product. What the author does is to lay down the principles of current distributed big data systems, and he does a very fine job of it.

If you are after the obscure details of a particular product, or some tutorials and "how-to"s, go elsewhere. But if you want to
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for every programmer. This is the best overview of data storage and distributed systems—two key concepts for building almost any piece of software today—that I've seen anywhere. Martin does a wonderful job of taking a massive body of research and distilling complicated concepts and difficult trade-offs down to a level where anyone can understand it.

I learned a lot about replication, partitioning, linearizability, locking, write skew, phantoms, transactions, event logs, and more. I'm
Sebastian Gebski
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this one took me much more time than I've expected.
Plus, it's definitely one of the best technical books I've read in years - but still, it doesn't mean you should run straight away to your bookshop - read up to the end of the review first.

I'll risk the statement that this book's content will not be 100% directly applicable to your work, BUT it will make you a better engineer in general. It's like with reading books about Haskell - most likely you'll never use this language for any
Brian
(5.0) excellent summary/foundation/recommendations for distributed systems development, covers a lot of the use cases for data-intensive (vs compute-intensive) apps/services. I recommend to anyone doing service development.

Recommendations are well-reasoned, citations are helpful and are leading me to do a lot more reading.

Thank you for finding and sharing this one, @Chet. I think this will be a book we assign as a primer for working at Goodreads going forward. At least some of the (later)
David Bjelland
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs-software
Like you'd expect of a technical book with such a broad scope, there are sections that most readers in the target audience will probably find either too foundational or too esoteric to justify writing about at this kind of length, but still - at its best, I shudder to think of the time wasted groping in the dark for an ad hoc understanding of concepts it explains holistically in just a few unfussy, lucid pages and a diagram or two.

Definitely a book I see myself reaching for as a reference or
Bill
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some quite valuable content diluted with less useful content. I think I’d much prefer to read this author’s focused articles or blogs than recommend that someone slog through this.

I’m still not quite sure who the intended audience of this book is, but it’s definitely not me. The intro chapter discusses the example of Twitter’s fan-out writes and how they balanced typical users with celebrities who have millions of followers. Because of that intro, I expected a series of architecture patterns and
Szymon Kulec
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The perception of this depends on how much do you know already.

If you know a lot about serialization: JSON, Avro, Google Protocol Buffers, MessagePack, you name it; db data structures: WAL, B+Tree, LSM, you name it; distributed systems: consensus (Paxos, Raft), messaging (at-least-once, at-most, idempotence), partitioning, you won't gain a lot.

If you read tens of whitepapers, read _internals_ books, you won't gain a lot.

If you run Jepsen tests on your own product, you won't gain a lot.

But if
Irio
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recently used Spark to count all the data stores mentioned throughout the book.

There's a total of 72 products, where Apache ZooKeeper, PostgreSQL and MySQL are the ones most mentioned, with 46, 44 and 42 citations.

The complete list is available at https://medium.com/@irio/all-data-sto...
Mark Seemann
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
At the beginning of reading this, I vacillated between a three-star and a four-star rating. The book is organised into three parts. The first part is about data storage on a single machine. Whenever it would cover material I already knew, I'd be mildly bored. Whenever it covered material that was unfamiliar to me, I found the explanations lucid and fascinating. I venture that I would have been as pleased with the topics I already knew about, had I not already known about them.

In part II, the
Ignacio
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My full notes: https://juanignaciosl.github.io/learn...

IMHO this book is a modern classic, a must read for every software engineer and developer. I’m certain that it will be reread it from time.
Ye Lin Kyaw
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There should be a 6-star rating for this book.
Ahmad hosseini
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my view to designing application!
What is the meaning of Data-Intensive?
We call an application data-intensive if data is its primary challenge- the quality of data, the complexity of data, or the speed at which it is changing.

Who should read this book?
I think that all developers must read this book. If you develop applications that have some kind of server/ backend for storing or processing data, and your application use the internet, then this book is for you.

Why should you, as
Vicki
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Just did a nuanced review on my tech blog, here: https://veekaybee.github.io/2019/04/1...
Naing Lin
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Often, We learn our skills by acquaintance and usually miss to cultivate the underlying knowledge of particular subject. Therefore we compensate it by another type of learning; by experience. But it's not always accurate and mostly based on hindsight which is why we need another layer knowledge to justify ours. These foundation of knowledge help us to giving better landscape to see the problem correspondingly. Hence, it could eventually make better decision (or trade off) for creators.

Sameer Rahmani
It's a really great book. The author is well known in the field and the author of Apache Samza. In this book he explains even smallest challenges in creating a distributed data intensive system.
Bodo Tasche
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
This book is an amazing must have for every backend developer. Highly recommended.
Ieva Gr
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Was it easy to read: It may have been the hardest thing I’ve ever read. The writing style is actually nice and quite colloquial for a technical book. But there is so much information in it! It took me ages (half a year) to get through it by taking notes when reading.

What I liked about it: The amount of information and the wast contexts that it covers: important concepts likes response time percentiles, linearisability, serializability and etc. explained; deep dive into database theory, different
Oleksii Zuiev
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book gives comprehensive overview of design aspects for systems working with data. For each of them it goes deep enough to describe needed concepts and principles and implementation options. And if you want to go deeper, after each chapter there are big lists of references to relevant research papers, specific implementations etc. The book ends with a chapter where the author gives his subjective view on where the industry is moving. Which is distinct to the rest of the book but still is an ...more
Kaushal
I wish I had this book 5 years go. A complete text on distributed systems that are extremely valuable for hands on experience. You have to read this book multiple times to get a good grasp on concepts on distributed computing. I do feel the title is little misleading for a solid texts on distributed systems. Highly recommended.
Emanuele Blanco
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A clear and detailed overview of the challenges modern applications have to face while dealing with data and the current state-of-the-art. From SSTables to event sourcing, Martin Kleppman gives great insights on what every engineer/architect should know when designing systems that deal with any kind of data. Highly recommended.
Andrzej Hołowko
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, favorites, big-data
Great book. Every software developer should definitely read it. It covers many topics, hard to remember everything, but it gives you a notion of systems/databases/tools/techniques used nowadays. You should be aware of trade-offs in every solution, before you use it and this book is a good start point.
Bhashit Parikh
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Encyclopedic and fun. Not only is this book packed with info about modern database systems, and related systems, it's very engaging and provides enough references to keep you busy for a long time. My bookmarks list is surely going to take a long time to work through. The book is a geek treasure if you are not intimately familiar with the various topics covered.
Ali Izadi
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for data engineers, data scientist and machine learning engineers who live in data world. This book answers lots of your questions about designing data-intensive applications from data models and distributed data to batch and stream data processing. It completely explains many problems in different applications with detailed solutions to them which help you understand a big data system better and decide what technologies and tools you need for your problem.
Matija
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best written technical book I ever read. Martin Kleppman is vastly knowledgeable about all types and classes of databases and principles of data processing, but also uncannily talented in teaching others with clarity and a pinch of subtle humour. He covers the entire map of the territory that are data processing principles and systems with great detail (and delightfully toys with the map metaphor at the beginning of each new chapter), yet never gets bogged down. The book finishes ...more
Ben
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pretty awesome. My favorite programming / cs book so far. Seemed to be at the right level of abstraction for system design. One of those books where the author is a super-export and rather than writing a textbook, it's more something like an "expertise dump".
Tuấn Anh Nguyễn
This book covers a lot of interesting topics in distributed data systems with great clarity. It also promotes streaming/event sourcing/change capturing approach to building systems, which I think is the right direction. Then it gets a good chapter about the potential perils of big data (bias ML, surveillance). Furthermore, it contains a lot of references for further research. A 5/5 would be underrating it.
Sergey Shishkin
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive overview of modern data systems like data storage, caches, search indices, messaging systems. Martin does a great job of maintaining a neutral point of view throughout the book, providing historical context and showing, where every piece of the puzzle fits into the big picture of application architecture. As a bonus, each chapter comes with ~100 references for deeper study of the topic.

Key takeaways for me were:
- Demystification of database storage and index data structures on
Daniel Aguilar
Pretty good review of a few different database engines, languages, infrastructure configurations and operations involved in data-intensive projects. Gets quite a lot into details about the algorithms and structures behind popular database systems and how/why they are suited for different purposes.

The book is an early release and still lacks many chapters, but it provides some good info anyway. I will probably get back to it when the final release is published.
Mohamed Elsherif
Fantastic book, it took me almost 9 months to finish, but I am glad that I did, I think this book is a very important read to anyone building any application/system that use data in any way, shape or form.
Highly recommended.
Waldemar Neto
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book don't talk only about design but it goes deeply into each component of actual high available systems like databases, queues, data serialization. Another very good point is that it has a lot of references for each chapter.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Seven things to consider- create an app like Uber 1 1 Jan 23, 2020 11:13AM
Futurice: Recommendation: Designing Data-Intensive Applications 1 50 Jul 06, 2017 04:41AM

• Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • Clean Architecture
  • Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services
  • Effective Java Programming Language Guide
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Microservice Patterns
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“In distributed systems, suspicion, pessimism, and paranoia pay off.” 6 likes
“The moral of the story is that a NoSQL system may find itself accidentally reinventing SQL, albeit in disguise.” 6 likes