Start by marking “Join Me” as Want to Read:
Join Me

Join Me

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  4,238 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
How could you refuse the polite invitation of begoggled Danny Wallace in Join Me? You don't know what you could be missing out on. It's all about living for the moment in this quirky, seemingly pointless yet addictive narrative. Finding himself with too much time on his hands after quitting his BBC job, Danny revels in "sitting around in his pants" and generally taking a b ...more
Published May 29th 2003 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Join Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Join Me

Caroline
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Read up to page 44 then lost the will to live. As funny as a bus ticket. Excellent flash reviews on the cover though eg "Hilarious" The Times, or "One of the funniest stories you will EVER read" Daily Mail. Perhaps the humour all starts on page 45?

Loved Wallaces's book "Awkward Situations for Men". I just couldn't carry on carrying on though. Time for a large gin and tonic, and I don't even drink....
Punk
Jul 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Non-fiction. Bored, Danny Wallace puts an ad in his local paper that reads "Join Me" and accidentally starts an cult. This is written as non-fiction but reads like a wacky British comedy. Danny asks people to join him, and they do, but they want to know why they're joining him, and that's a question he can't answer. So he has to come up with a purpose for his group, and along the way he meets up with his Joinees and travels about Europe to promote his Join Me collective.

This book had me laughin
Tariq
Jun 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What the fuck?

Who would publish such ridiculous, self-centered shite?

I read the whole thing! These were exceptional circumstances. Stuck somewhere with nothing else to do.

The author clearly thinks that he is extremely funny, and clever. He is neither. He is a total prat, and I want to slap him.

It went on, and on, and on, and on... nothing changed. It didn't get any better. It got worse.
Stefanie Price
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
There’s a whole canon of literature that revolves around what is neatly described by Wallace’s girlfriend as ‘stupid boy bets’. Started by Tony Hawks hitching around Ireland with a fridge, to playing the Moldovan football team at tennis, or getting a no. 1 record in Albania with the help of the late, great Norman Wisdom – followed by Dave Gorman with his adventures in Googlewhacking, and now Danny Wallace has taken the helm of the pointless mission initiative with ‘Yes Men’ and the book under sc ...more
Shannon
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lulz, memoirs
Danny Wallace, you're a silly bitch! Awesome. Though it kind of annoyed me what a douche he was to his girlfriend.. and that HE didn't really do the good-deeds-on-friday thing. COME ON!

Also! I don't buy his slightly self-depriciating air (oh.. I don't know what I'm doing..). He's CLEARLY very pleased with himself. Still, the book was pretty amusing so eh.
Paul
Oct 09, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know, I just got a little bored of this in the middle. I think he probably imagined he was being terribly arch and funny, but it just didn't seem to be going anywhere quickly enough for me.
Jessica
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My CurledUp review: While it seems that in the United States young adults keep getting busier and busier, continually adding activities to an already full calendar, juggling dating, career, family, and friends, it seems that in England blokes have a lot of time on their hands. At least, Danny Wallace does.

In his sheer boredom and with a little inspiration from his recently deceased great-Uncle Gallus, who, he discovers, tried to start a commune, Wallace undertakes a little project. The only goal
Dane Cobain
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It never ceases to amaze me how Danny Wallace manages to get himself into awkward situations – in fact, he’s written two books called Awkward Situations for Men, and he shows no signs of slowing down in his (slightly) old age. In Join Me, though, he accidentally starts a cult from his flat in London, after whimsically posting an advertisement in his local paper saying ‘Join Me’ and eventually receiving letters and e-mails from people that were based all over the world.

I won’t go any further into
Jenelle
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a teacher at my school when I rushed into his room one morning looking for a book to read for SSR. Little did I know, I fell in love with Danny Wallace. His unique sense of adventure has enchanted me and inspired me to find purpose in my life despite what the negative people in my life say.

When Danny attends his grandfather's funeral, he discovers that the recently deceased man once tried to start his own community of like-minded people. This triggered Danny to
Penny
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Join Me...Seriously JOIN ME right now! Join Me in having read this book 'Join Me' by Danny Wallace...then...JOIN ME in joining his Karma Army - the instructions are in the back of the book. Then you too can be part of the world-wide collective doing Random Acts of Kindness (RAoK) every Friday. Go on - make every Friday a Good Friday too!
Start by finding a copy of this book any legal way you can - buying it new also helps the author remember - and READ IT and be inspired...go on, while you're the
Mariam Abood
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually finished this book a while back so I don't know why it has taken me until now to write a review, but here goes. I've decided to give this book four stars based on the sheer fact this is based on a true story. This actually happened. I suppose I'm trying to distance myself from the context I am reading it in because I remember reading this thinking 1000 followers is nothing, but I guess this was written in the days before social media. Dan also appeared a little arrogant to me, but ove ...more
EJ
May 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you need a laugh.,...
Shelves: hahahahahaha
Danny Wallace is extremely charming through his quirky wit. He will win you over! I laughed out loud at every page. Very rarely am I able to fall into humourous books...lets face it, its so much better when someone delivers a line rather then reading it. Danny is funny both on Tv and in writing.
Danny often comes up with little adventures...little did he know that one day of boredom would result in a worldwide cult.
You don't find out till the end what the the purpose for the cult is, but truthfu
Katy Noyes
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can happen when a man follows through...

With a crazy idea! I admit, I have a bit of a crush on Danny Wallace, after reading this shortly after his latest non-fiction account of his exploration of rudeness in society.

He makes no qualms about placing himself and his life in the centre of his books, and his loveable 'man child' persona is rather endearing as well as whoe-heartedly entertaining to follow on his escapades around the globe (or the European part of it, in this instance).

Danny her
Freya Inston
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny, witty, silly tale of starting a cult, silly boy project. My kind of style, lots of him enjoying a cup of tea! Very amusing & enjoyable read.
Azra
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, humor, culture
Oh, this was a fun read! It was the account of an accidental movement that sprang from a spontaneous ad in a local paper, placed just to see what would happen. Eventually, thousands of random acts of kindness were (are?) done by its members.

The book reads as if the author were sitting with you, telling his tale as you drink your favorite beverage.
James
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many of Danny Wallace's "project that gets out of hand" books, and this was one of his better ones, with good stories, funny lines and a personal plot in the story that makes you remember that getting caught up in the silliness does have repercussions.

Wallace unsurprisingly comes across as self-indulgent at times, and after a while the "He looked disgruntled. In fact, he looked like he was never 'gruntled'"* style lines can get a bit tiresome but it is a lot of fun and Wallace also
Steve
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for something a bit lighter after a spate of serious science biographies. I'd bought this up ages ago, put it on the shelf, and decided to pick it up one evening last week.
I'm so glad I did.
I read Are You Dave Gorman? a few years ago. It's the hilarious story of how a silly bet between friends (Dave himself and Danny Wallace) takes them across the world to meet complete strangers, provides the raw material for a comedy show, and nearly kills off Danny's relationship with his gi
David Jones
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review from http://dwjjones1.blogspot.co.uk/

In Join Me, Danny largely by accident starts a cult (or as he prefers it to be known a "collective") by entering a small advert into a local London paper. the ad simply said "JOIN ME" and asked any one wanting to join to send a passport sized photo of themselves to Danny. He never gave any explanation of what they where joining, mainly because he didn't have the faintest idea what the purpose was.

As people respond and the members start to grow Dann
Mouse
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard about the book and the group some years ago but never really paid much attention. I had marked this as one of those books to read that I will probably never actually read, cause y'know that's just how it works. I did run across this book at my local library recently and seeing it was like....a call of sorts. I've been looking for more ways to positively influence people and do good deeds so I figured this book might be somewhat influential. Boy was I wrong! Hahaha! This book is hilarious ...more
Rebecca
Apparently I went on a binge a few weeks back and finally got around to requesting every Danny Wallace book that I haven't read yet. LAPL has them all except one that I can't find on any California library list!! Debating buying it (in case you care, it's the book he wrote with Dave Gorman, called "Are you Dave Gorman?") and I see in stores alll the time, but when is the last time I actually bought a book? 2007? This pisses me off a lot. Anyway, this book! A bit old, a bit out of date. Danny's u ...more
Janet
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danny travels to Switzerland to attend the funeral of his Great-Uncle, Gallus and whilst there he discovers that in the 1940s, Gallus had tried to start a commune - and had ended up with just three members!

Inspired by this, Danny decides to form his own cult, erm, I mean collective, as a tribute to Gallas, and so he places an advert in a London paper paper with the words ‘Join Me’ and a box number to send a photograph to. He is amazed to get a reply a few days later, and slowly people start to j
The Glass House Online Magazine
One Man and his Ridiculous yet Inspirational Mission

Miss Pollyanna reviews this book for The Glass House Girls:
One Man and his Ridiculous yet Inspirational Mission
I thought I had read every book out there by Danny Wallace… and then Join Me, well, it asked me to Join It on a recent scour through the bookshelves of my local charity shop. And knowing how Danny’s previous titles had made me laugh and shake my head in utter disbelief at his random antics, Join Him I did!

Join Me is so much more than j
Louise Self
I got introduced to Danny Wallace only in the last few years and I think I quite love him. He's quirky and although borderline obsessive, not irritating with it. Having said that, I only read his books, to live with I imagine he's bonkers.
This one I think is quite an early one and it's, probably unsurprisingly, got a real community feel to it. I love the original idea and although it is non fiction, it has the makings of the basis for a really good novel. I definitely would have "joined" him had
SJ
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I had owned for so long, but had never got around to reading. I finally thought I should read it hoping for a light humorous read, which is essentially what it turned out to be.

One thing striking about this book is how dated it now seems, despite only being first published in 2003. The efforts Danny Wallace went to just to get hundreds of people to join him were pretty staggering when compared to how quickly a facebook group can amass hundreds of thousands of followers these
Grace
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Description: Danny Wallace (for a reason while I’ll let him explain to you) decides to place an ad asking people to join him by sending a passport photo. They do. What results is a collective, not a cult. To tell much else would be to present spoilers, since really not much actually happens in this book. Danny has done some silly things in the past, and conceived of a few more; his no-nonsense girlfriend calls these boy-projects and refuses to have any part of them.
Writing style: Wallace has a c
Mandy
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Danny Wallace was bored, so he decided to place an ad in the local paper with the words 'Join Me', asking people to send him a passport photo and, well, join him. Join him in what you may ask? Danny didn't have a clue so he had to make it up as he went. His 'boy-project' (as his girlfriend referred to his crazy schemes) initially started off with a goal of 100 joinees, then 1000 and along the way, he created the Karma Army, inspiring people to do random acts of kindness every Friday.

Danny is a b
Toocrazycosmoyahoo.com
It's not a cult, it's a collective.

This is the true story of how one man started his own cult (Oops... I mean collective :) At his uncle's funeral Danny learn his uncle once dreamed of running a commune with a thousand like-minded people. Danny is inspired to accomplish his uncle's dream and he starts recruiting by simply placing an ad in the paper saying "Join Me". His story ends up traversing the globe, various multi media organizations and inspiring thousands of people to do good in the world
Joe
Apr 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author of this book started an odd, loosely-connected group after he learned that his recently deceased grandfather had unsuccessfully tried to start a collective. The author's version started with his placing a short ad in a newspaper, saying something to the effect of: "JOIN ME: send a passport photo to this PO box." Amazingly, people joined in.

The writing is very readable, but there's not much there. People don't have much of a reason to join, but some do -- and some embrace it wholeheart
Victoria Penrose-Jones
Although I don't rate this book as highly as Yes Man, it was still an enjoyable read. There is, in my opinion, quite a lot of needless waffle, but his writing is fun and easy - definitely lighter than Dickens! I liked how honest he was about everything he did (you will spend a lot of the book thinking he's a terrible boyfriend) & it was refreshing at how genuinely excited he was as he wrote it.

Written 12 years ago, when the internet was still mostly dial-up, it's fascinating to think how qui
Redfox5
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super funny book which made me laugh out loud loads! I do find it a bit odd that people were willing to send photos to a stranger when they had no idea of the reason, not the sort of thing I'd do but I'm glad they did! The only person I felt bad for in the book was Hanne, it made me feel guilty everytime she was mentioned becuase I would have hated it if my boyfriend had done something like this. I liked the photos inside the book, especially the 'join me Norwigians' The karma Amry is a cool id ...more
  • Are You Dave Gorman?
  • One Hit Wonderland
  • Screen Burn
  • Where Did It All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
  • My Life with Groucho: A Son's Eye View
  • Was This Man a Genius?: Talks With Andy Kaufman
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest to Uncover the Books that Time Forgot
  • Around the World in a Bad Mood!: Confessions of a Flight Attendant
  • The Essential Groucho: Writings By, For, and about Groucho Marx
  • Naked in Dangerous Places: The Chronicles of a Hungry, Scared, Lost, Homesick, but Otherwise Perfectly Happy Traveler
  • How Not to Grow Up!: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
  • Twitchhiker: How One Man Travelled the World by Twitter
  • Tickling the English
  • Superstud: Or How I Became a 24-Year-Old Virgin
  • Frank Skinner Autobiography
  • Bleak Expectations
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work exper
More about Danny Wallace...

Nonfiction Deals

$8.49 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir
    $11.24 $1.99

“The sad thing is, I was discovering that you almost have to make a joke of being good to strangers. Up and down the country, these people doing their good deeds were doubtless being seen as slightly eccentric, when in reality and in an ideal world they should be deemed the most normal people of all.” 13 likes
“And before any Christian readers get all offended - relax. I'm not saying that I'm the new Jesus. I'm just saying there's a very good chance that I might be.” 10 likes