Start by marking “Cómo entrenar a tu dragón” as Want to Read:
Cómo entrenar a tu dragón

Cómo entrenar a tu dragón

(How to Train Your Dragon #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  34,794 ratings  ·  4,092 reviews
En la época de los vikingos todos los adolescentes debían demostrar sus habilidades cazando y entrenando a un dragón. Hipo Horrendo Abadejo III no fue una excepción. El joven vikingo Hipo Horrendo Abadejo III debe realizar el rito de iniciación propio de su pueblo, que consiste en cazar un dragón y entrenarlo adecuadamente para que éste demuestre sus habilidades. Lo que ...more
Hardcover, Pequeños dragones, 222 pages
Published 2005 by Ediciones SM (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Cómo entrenar a tu dragón, please sign up.
Buttons It's completely different. You can see that the basic ideas are taken from the books, but you can't really compare it. In the book the situation is a…moreIt's completely different. You can see that the basic ideas are taken from the books, but you can't really compare it. In the book the situation is a completely(!) different one and all the characters - human and dragon - differ. Nonetheless it's a great book series for children and those young at heart.(less)
Buttons I love both the movies and I really like the books. But you can hardly compare them because (next to the fact that they are completely different) the…moreI love both the movies and I really like the books. But you can hardly compare them because (next to the fact that they are completely different) the books are for children and young teens and are written accordingly, whereas the movies are family movies and fitting for every age.(less)

·  34,794 ratings  ·  4,092 reviews

Start your review of Cómo entrenar a tu dragón
Zoë
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delight to read! Or should I say listen to?
Please, please, PLEASE if you are able to, listen to David Tennant's narration. Not only does he narrate in his own Scottish accent, but he injects such enthusiasm into this already wacky story. His narration alone bumped my rating up half a star!
Now onto the book itself. I loved it! Don't let the fact that it's a children's story deter you from picking this up. Yes, it is a playful story about dragons and over-the-top Vikings, but it's
Mark Lawrence
I saw the film a while back and really enjoyed it. I bought the book for my daughter Celyn's 9th birthday and read it to her (she's registered blind and couldn't watch the movie). We finished it last week in hospital. She did fall asleep a couple of times but to be fair she was recoving from a general anaesthetic.

The book is very different to the film. Both share some comical Vikings and a weedy 'hero' named Hiccup. Both contain dragons. That's about the end of the similarities. In the film the
Dana Salman

2010:

Finally, finally! I found it!

Boy, where do I start? Okay, to make things clear: I did see the movie first (it was one of Dreamworks' best ever!) but that didn't necessarily mean I had expectations for this book based on that. I did check up on it before reading it, so I was fully prepared with the knowledge that it was completely different from the movie when I started. Still, no matter how much I loved the movie, I loved this book too. The characters are likable (as story-book characters,
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
As we all know, movies often aren't much like the books they're based on, and that's incredibly true here. Now, the setting's the same: Vikings, dragons, characters and all that. However, there are a couple of major differences, based even on what I remember from the movie I saw once about three years ago. When you think of How to Train Your Dragon, I bet your first thought is something along these lines:

Certainly, I did. Awkward boy befriends adorable dragon. Cuteness abounds. Everyone learns
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
What a fun little series! I read this book in a sitting and I enjoy it. It's very much a fantasy Roald Dahl type writing. I've never seen the movies so I enjoyed the fresh perspective.
Terry
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do I rate this book? I rate it "Started reading it to my six year old but when he was too tired to continue I kept reading to myself and didn't put it down until I reached the last page."
Calista
I love these movies. They are wonderful. I expected the book to be somewhat similar and they really aren’t. I think the movie captured the spirit of the books and how kooky and zany they are, but the story is totally different with some new characters. Hiccup is mostly the same but most others are different. The biggest difference is that Toothless is a totally different dragon. They are nothing alike really. I like the toothless of the movies much more. I did not like the toothless from the ...more
Shaina
Edit: 2nd reading *** The book is good, but the audio book just opened the characters up for me. It made the book more dynamic and the characters seem more fun. I was more enthusiastic this time. I will be seeking out more books read by Tennant, whom seems to come up with an endless amount of voices and energy to back them.
************
I now have the audio book to go with this one. So far I’m thinking this will change my rating. It adds a lot to it.
C.G. Drews
I wanted to read this book because I HAD A DRAGON SHAPED HOLE IN MY READING LIFE. Come on! Who hasn't heard of the movie?!! And there's a book? I would be a negligant bookworm if I ignored it.

Just so you know: it's nothing like the movie. Except some of the names are the same.

Nope, in the book Hiccup and the boys of his village must capture a dragon and train it in order to be initiated as warriors. Hiccup captures a very tiny insignificant looking dragon who has no teeth so he calls it
Joey Woolfardis
[First read: 3rd June, 2011. Three stars.
Second read: 8th April, 2017. One star.]

Apparently I read this in 2011 and gave it three stars. I do remember that I had read it, but had no recollection of it at all. Six years is a long time...

I will first of all say disregard the film altogether with this book. It is nothing like it, they may as well have just paid Cowell for the title and character names, which they seemingly did. However, the film did not hinder my enjoyment-or lack thereof-of
Amanda
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Tennant reads the audiobook. Need I say more? But I will. I really enjoy how this book is about using your intelligence and compassion to bridge gaps between groups. Toothless is a delight to read about. Hiccup just might be a little too good, but not unrealistically so. Tennant brings the characters to life. I don’t think I’ll ever physically read these books, the audiobook is just too wonderful!
Lexie
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2016
BEHOLD MY FIENDISH YELL OF APPROVAL!

WELL DONE DRAGON
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 stars

I listened to this book because it was on a list of best children's audiobooks, and it was narrated by David Tennant so I had to listen. I enjoyed this book as much as I did because of the audio, but since it's a children's book about dragons that borders on the silly humor, it just isn't my taste. I can totally see myself recommending this book to kids in the future.

Ryan
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good:
Such a fun children's book. Great setting, great ideas about dragons, and it's often funny and quite rugged.

The Bad:
Your kids might hate how different it is to the animated movies. Plus it is a children's book, so adults aren't likely to find it very deep.

'Friends' character the protagonist is most like:
Just like Ross, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a smart but reluctant protagonist, and his pet uses him without pity.
Allison Tebo
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, buy, k, dragon
Had to dock two stars for crudity / grossness, which is a pity, because this book tickled my funny bone and appealed to my appreciation for the absurd.
Juli
At the moment, I'm reading an intense historical fiction novel set in Italy during WWII. After awhile I need a break from such a serious subject. I came across this lovely audiobook narrated by David Tennant, and knew that was just the thing I needed to listen to! I'm glad I did! Before now, I had only seen the animated movie of this story. I had never read the book. I love the movie.....but the book is so much better!

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is the son of a chief. While that's pretty cool
Lucy Banks
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this one with my sons - the eldest loved it (and immediately went to find the second in the series at the local library).

The humour in this book is outstanding, love the creation of the world of Berk, and the way the author brings to life this hostile, alarming terrain. The characters are hilarious, their names alone had my boys laughing - and the illustrations perfectly complement the plot.

Definitely a great read for kids aged from 7 upwards.
Kristie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio, childrens
Listened to the audiobook with my grandson. I thought it was really cute and he enjoyed it. It was a great opportunity to explain how movies can be very different from the books.
Trish
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My, my.

I knew the movie and LOVED it for Toothless and his cat-like quirky appearance as well as all the great prejudices and jokes. By coincidence I then discovered the audiobook was read by none other than "Ten" aka David Tennant and HAD to try listening to it. "Try" because I usually fall asleep. ;p
I fell asleep here too (last night) so I had to backtrack and find the spot where I had stopped actively listening ... this, amongst other things, is why I don't like audiobooks too much.

The story
Caz (littlebookowl)
So fun, so hilarious. David Tennant narrated the audiobook and was fantastic!
Kaitlin
This is a kids series and it's the story of Hiccup and his dragon Toothless. I'm a keen dragon-fan, and I particularly like the charm of this series for the relationship the Vikings have with their Dragon counter-parts. In this story (the first) we follow Hiccup and his other friends as they have to first find their Dragons and then train them...

I actually audio-booked this and I would thoroughly recommend the audio-book as a great way to read this (although I've also read some of these books
Melania 🍒
3,3/5

Very funny and cute A delight
Rebecca McNutt
I was aging out of the fascination with modern computer-animated films just a bit before How to Train Your Dragon was released by Dreamworks (if I'm missing out on something, let me know and maybe I'll try watching the film to see which version of the story I like the best). All I knew from ads was that it was about a viking kid and a large dragon, and I had no idea there was a book basis until recently. It's a fun story and a very simplistic one, if not very juvenile in its humour aspects, and ...more
Karis
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, adventure
*3.75 Stars*

Being the bookworm that I am, ever since first watching the How to Train Your Dragon movies and seeing the “inspired by the How to Train Your Dragon book series by Cressida Cowell,” flit across the screen, I’ve wanted to see for myself what the books really are like and how they compare to the movies and following shows that I’ve since watched. My eleven-year-old brother and I are the real HTTYD fans in the house, and together we read the first book, me reading over his shoulder,
Celeste
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full (mini) review now posted!

I’ve loved the movie inspired by this book for years. Longer, in fact, than I knew that the book even existed. However, I had heard that the book was far different than the movie. So when I saw the audiobook was narrated by David Tennant, my favorite Doctor from Doctor Who and the fabulous new voice of Scrooge McDuck, I took the plunge.

This was a fun story, made even more entertaining through the incredibly Scottish narration of Tennant. I love the idea of Viking
Totoro
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cuuuuuuuute ^ ^

well, it was a cute and refreshing book after all, i wasn't quite sure it would be suitable for my age, but it went right through my heart.
milou  ☕️
I should've gotten around to reading this book much sooner because I've been such a devoted fan of this franchise ever since the first movie got released and I had this book on my tbr for many years up until now.

I suggest that you forget entirely about the movies because these books aren't anything like them. They hardly have the same characters in them and only a few of them I recognized actually. Still the main character that we all know is Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III and he is much younger
Hobbes
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens

Loved the movie. The book is a different beast that is markedly different from the movie plot. It has lots of humour and gross jokes that young children will appreciate. Plus dragons. But where was Astrid? Or, any female character for that matter. Zilch. The only reason I remove stars for this book is the lack of females with spine associated only with the movie.

The book features a lot of hand-drawn illustrations that are often funny. The illustrations break up the text on most pages which I'm
Nicki Chapelway
Normally the books are much better than the movies. That was not the case with this book. The movie is waaay better and after watching it, this book was a bit of a disappointment.
Himanshu Karmacharya
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This might just be the best audiobook that I've listened to, till date. Narrated by David Tennant in a dramatic and enthusiastic fashion, the audiobook keeps the listeners gripped. The plot is very enjoyable and funny, though quite different from the movie.

• How to Train Your Dragon: The Chapter Book
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon
  • Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King (The Guardians, #1)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • Fortunately, the Milk
  • Persephone & the Giant Flowers
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Lost Heir (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel, #2)
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dragon's Hoard: Stories from the Viking Sagas
  • The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle
  • Wild Born (Spirit Animals, #1)
  • Dragon Down (Dragons: Riders of Berk Comics, #1)
  • The Princess and the Guard
  • The Dragonet Prophecy (Wings of Fire, #1)
  • The Apartment
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own ...more

How to Train Your Dragon (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5)
  • A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)
  • How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon, #7)
  • How to Break a Dragon's Heart (How to Train Your Dragon, #8)
  • How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (How to Train Your Dragon, #9)
  • How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (How to Train Your Dragon, #10)
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)
“Twelve days north of Hopeless and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death” 177 likes
“Thank you for nothing, you stupid reptile.” 129 likes