Start by marking “Rose and the Silver Ghost (Rose, #4)” as Want to Read:
Rose and the Silver Ghost (Rose, #4)

Rose and the Silver Ghost (Rose #4)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  433 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Time has flown since Rose left the orphanage behind, and she loves her new family at Mr Fountain's magical house. But she still can't help wondering - what happened to her real family? Were they full of magic too, like her? Then Rose discovers a clue to the mystery: a silver mirror which once belonged to her mother. A mirror with a ghost...
Published December 6th 2011 by Orchard Books (first published February 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rose and the Silver Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose and the Silver Ghost

Kayla Eklund
*NOTE:This is a review of the entire series*

Typically, I don't read a lot of middle grade novels. I used to love them when I was younger. As an adult, I feel that I am so beyond the intended audience that the magic and wonder is lost on me. However, I've been on this kick lately where all I want to read is middle grade. I'm glad that I am. I read all of the Rose series by Holly Webb in one day, and I loved it. It brought all of the magic and wonder back into reading middle grade novels.

Holly Web
Liviania
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

In the final novel of the Rose series, Holly Webb brings Rose's parentage to light through a mysterious mirror, a dangerous gang, and two loyal women. There's still war brewing on the horizon, but it is mostly an afterthought, something the grown-ups are focusing on while Rose and her friends chase the truth and run straight into danger. But the kids will be drawn back in before the end.

I thought ROSE AND THE SILVER GHOST was a wonderful end to the series. It stays true to the lessons Rose has l
Lee Anne
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I have quite enjoyed this series! Interesting characters and clever plots!
Anna
Прочитав четвертую книгу серии, могу наконец окончательно сформулировать, чем именно истории про Роуз мне нравятся и в чем их главный для меня минус. Все они в плане структуры - как под копирку, поэтому можно смело говорить о серии в целом. Итак, плюсы: герои - каждый с какой-то ярко выраженной чертой, но это выглядит в тексте органично, и мне они нравятся, кто своей разумностью, кто, наоборот, взбалмошностью или упрямством; чувства героев и их отношения между собой - в этом Холли Вебб большой м ...more
Miss Clark
These books are an absolute delight and quintessentially British.

This last book in the ROSE series takes place back in London. Rose is reunited with a family member and goes on quest to discover where she comes from and what happened to her parents.

I love the characters and their loyalty and affection, genuine and prickly and imperfect.

I almost wish she would write another book about Bella when she gets a bit older because you know that she will have adventures of the highest order.
Alyssa Schneyman
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I have not read the other books in this series, and feel that doing so is not necessary to enjoy this book, but I think kids will want to read the whole series in order. This book is a cute, fun read. A great book to hand to elementary aged readers.

ARC-Netgalley
Shelves: j-books
Rose and the Silver Ghost
Holly Webb
Rose #4

Review: Rose is now back in London after defeating gossamer and retrieving the Venetian mask she and the fountain household were sent to fetch. Now though she has a new adventure waiting for her. While in Venice they met another powerful magician who just might know who Rose really is. The problem is she doesn’t want to share what she knows with Rose. Will Rose finally find out who she was really meant to be and will she like what she learns?
Holly Webb
Brandy Painter
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

Rose's story picks up almost immediately where it left off in Rose and the Magician's Mask. She and the family have returned to London from Venice. Miss Fell has joined the family and taken on both Rose and Bella as pupils, not only to grow and focus their magic but to train them how to be proper ladies. As the lessons continue, she seems to be testing Rose in particular. Bella suspects why and shares her theory with Rose. The girls embar
Suz
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
The Rose series continues to delight me (and other readers, I'm sure). Rose and the others from Mr. Fountain's household have returned from their trip to Venice, bringing the magician Miss Fell with them. Hepzibah Fell has consented to live as a guest of Mr. Fountain and help him to train Rose, Freddie, and Bella in magic. The help is needed since Bella has driven off another governess and Mr Fountain is often at the palace advising the king about the looming war with the Talish Empire. Rose is ...more
Sharon Tyler
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rose and the Silver Ghost is the forth book in the Rose series by Holly Webb. It is currently scheduled for release on March 3 2015. Time has flown since Rose left the orphanage behind for her new family at Mr. Fountain's magical house. But when the stern Miss Fell comes to stay at the mansion, Rose can't help but notice the extra attention Miss Fell gives her. When Rose sees the flash of a face in Miss Fell's mirror-a face that's familiar and foreign at the same time-her suspicions are confirme ...more
Shay VanZwoll
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rose, orphaned and raised to be a servant, finds herself in the unusual place of being a magician's apprentice. In circumstances hinting at previous stories, we discover that Rose was found to have magic and, as the maid in the household of one of the most powerful magicians in the country, she is invited to apprentice. But when an even more powerful magician takes interest in Rose, the secrets of her past and her heritage are revealed.

ROSE AND THE SILVER GHOST is a fun paranormal children's sto
Jessica
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Rose and the Silver Ghost by Holly Webb is a delight with an eager, active heroine, good friendships, an intriguing magic system, and a plot that keeps the reader hooked.

Holly Webb has created a version of nineteenth century Europe where magic works. Although she never explicitly spells out the rules, there is an evident clear foundation and set of rules behind what happens. There are also signs that magic has altered the course of events—this is not our world with magic, this is a world like o
Colleen
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gina Hott
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hott Review:

What I liked: Rose and the Silver Ghost was so much fun! Even I couldn’t put it down! I really enjoyed not only the plot but the characters. It was fun and imaginative – I’ve not read anything like this before!
One of my favorite things about this is how Ms. Webb builds vocabulary. Without being preachy, she uses uncommon vocabulary and then explains it in such a way that it feels like part of the story and not a lesson.
Although this is intended for middle-graders, it’s appropriate fo
Dada
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Záver tejto milej detskej knižky bol trochu... prirýchly, aj keď nebola o moc kratšia či dlhšia ako predošlé diely. Zdalo sa mi to však trochu uponáhľané, dej bol akosi jednoduchší, chýbali mu zádrhely a slepé uličky v pátraní, ktoré príbeh inokedy patrične ozvláštnia, držia čitateľa v príjemnom napätí - hoci to je rozprávka, preto som bohvieako komplikovaný, hlboký a náročný príbeh ani nečakala... Všeobecne mi najlepší a najprepracovanejší prišiel prvý diel, tento bol hádam aj najslabší, pri čo ...more
Erin
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful book from start to end. It did take some time for me to get back in the swing of things with Rose and the others, but once I did, it was a constant struggle to put this book down.

The characters were wonderful and had some great depth. I especially liked the new characters that were introduced, such as Miranda, Eliza and Miss Fell. We even got to see Bella's magic put to the test in this one.

Not only were we introduced to some great new characters but we got to see the roles
Dana
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have not read the other books in this series, and that is not necessary to enjoy this book, but I think kids will want to read the whole series in order. This book is a cute, fun to read, magical mystery story. Rose can do magic and lives with a magician, his daughter,Bella, an apprentice, a magical governess and a magical talking cat. In this book, Rose looks into the governesses hand mirror and sees what seems to be herself, only older. This leads to Rose, Bella and the other children and th ...more
Andrea
The last of this series of four short books, this time focusing on Rose's origins. No real surprises in the story, and some rather problematic lower-class-sacrifice-for-upper-class, but still interesting. Bella and Gus ended up being my favourite characters - Gus for being selfish and sarcastic and Bella for being selfish and horribly spoiled, but at least both of them full of personality, and with a solid streak of kindness to go with it.
Jill the Ripper
It ended a little too suddenly, and the battle was a little too anti-climatic for my tastes. I realize it's a book for kids, so maybe it drags on for them, but still.

I still totally, totally want too see these kids as adults. Though if Freddie and Bella got married, I'd have to eat my shoes, or something.

(Saying that, I adore Bella, for all her naughtiness. I think she's setting up to be a right little minx.)
Tila Kalypso
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I own the book I have read the first half (borrowed it out of the library, but had to give back awhile later because we we moving country) this book is a really good read and I would recommend it for children from 9+
Britomarte Van Horn
Wonderful wrap-up for the series. All the threads (except one that nagged at me) were wrapped up beautifully, woven into a story that was both final and open-ended. The major questions were answered, but there were so many places Rose could have gone at the end - perfect.
Anne
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good end to the series, although I wouldn't say no to another one. I appreciated that the author didn't make things easy for Rose to fix but allowed her to struggle and grow as the story went along.
Ray (user2637)
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Kayleigh Dolly D'Andilly
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really sweet ending to the Rose books, but I am going to miss reading her adventures. I just hope that the Lily books are as magical!
Gayle
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable series. I highly recommend.
Isabelle Braun
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Maybe it's just me, but I found the conclusion to this series uninteresting. I'm probably past reading this genre of books.
Leen
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a very nice book even if I didn't read Alout .i like when Rose makes miss Fell gealous because,it's kind of funny.
PWRL
Mar 02, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-new
E
Jill
Oh, so many questions answered! But some not--because I still think there is more to Mr. Fountain than we know.
  • The Dream Thief (Horatio Lyle #4)
  • Haunted (Lady Grace Mysteries, #8)
  • Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Putrid Poison
  • The Great Escape (Tumtum and Nutmeg #2)
  • The Book that Proves Time Travel Happens
  • Madame Pamplemousse And The Time Travelling Cafe (Madame Pamplemousse, #2)
  • Wild Magic
  • War Girls
  • Grave Images
Holly Webb is the author of Dog Magic, Cat Magic, and Lost in the Snow. She has always loved animals and owns two very spoiled cats. They haven't said a word to her yet, but she's always listening, just in case! She lives in England.
More about Holly Webb...

Rose (4 books)
  • Rose (Rose, #1)
  • Rose and the Lost Princess (Rose, #2)
  • Rose and the Magician's Mask (Rose, #3)