Start by marking “The Third Section (The Danilov Quintet, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Third Section (The Danilov Quintet,  #3)

Read Excerpt

The Third Section (Danilov Quintet #3)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Russia 1855. After forty years of peace in Europe, war rages. In the Crimea, the city of Sevastopol is besieged. In the north, Saint Petersburg is blockaded. But in Moscow there is one who needs only to sit and wait - wait for the death of an aging tsar, and for the curse upon his blood to be passed to a new generation.

As their country grows weaker, a man and a woman - una
Published August 18th 2011 by Bantam Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Section, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Section

Despite its problems, The Third Section was a really enjoyable read. Perhaps the reason the issues I listed were felt so keenly was because Kent’s books are so high quality and absorbing that the smallest details are more noticeable. The period of history this book takes place in is nothing short of fascinating. While the characters lack and the pacing is a bit slow, The Third Section is a strong installment in a series that has continually blown me away. Yes, it does have issues, but I still lo ...more
Zoltán Gecse
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The third book of the Danilov quintet takes place 30 years after the second book, which means we get new main characters instead of Aleksei. His offsprings continue the fight against the vampires in Russia.

If you look at the timeline at the beginning of this book you can realize the events are strongly connected the tzars, and the new tzars. In 1855 Russia was in a great war against the English and French about ruling the sea-connection to the Black sea. Dmitry met again with vampires during the
Thomas Edmund
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you'd look at my reviews of Kent's previous two Dannilov novels you would probably assume I wasn't a huge fan of the series, and in all honesty if I didn't have a thing for vampires and russians I most likely wouldn't have continued with these novels.

But I'm glad I did. In Third Section gone are the navel-gazing semi-philosphy rants, the overdose of insight and slightly too cheese shaped action scenes. Kent has trimmed the fat for this novel and it shows.

The plot follows the original protagan
Bogdan Gavriliuc
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This has been an amazing read. One of my favorite series.

Jasper Kent's writing style can be seen to improve as you progress through each book. He has several tools which he efficiently uses to display an engaging story.

One thing I enjoyed thoroughly in this book, was the way Kent set up elaborate and excitingly complex situations. Often I reveled in the nuanced encounters and the evident ironies that spice up the story. Kent knows how to tell a story.

I did like the portrayal of each character
Alisa Hedden
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not your Twilight, non-blood drinking, romantic, emotionally tortured vampires. These have all the compassion of a Jack-the –Ripper or a Zodiac killer. They must drink blood to stay alive and they are not kind. Getting the most satisfaction from the extreme emotional states of terror and despair in their victims (even other Vampires). They will plan out a killing, taking hours in performing the act to heighten their own enjoyment. Truly monstrous monsters. Taking place in Russia, based on the hi ...more
Elaine Bergstrom
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jasper Kent's first two novels of the planned five were mere practice for The Third Section -- a novel which finally has the pacing and character development that were a bit lacking in the first two books in the series. Here Dmitry is older, a soldier like his father, as ignorant that he has a half-sister as she is of him. But they are both pawns of the battle between the undead and the czars of Russia and the monomania that has vampire Iuda plotting his vengeance on the children of his enemy.
Mel
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gritty, grown up alternate history with vampires. Nothing like the Twilight's and Vampire Diaries of the world.
Set in 1855, the Third Section is the third installment in the Danilov Quintet. It has been a few years since I read Twelve and Thirteen Years Later (which I believe I read in the wrong order), but as I progressed with The Third Section, main plot arks and characters came back to me. Well written, fast paced and intriguing, I cannot wait for the final two novels in the quintet.
Jeremy Hallum
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Third in a series, I felt this started a little slower than the other two, but ended with a very satisfying bang. Best of all, despite it being a series, this book had a nice conclusion to it. Looking forward to the next book.
Alissa
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
The music seemed to tell him a story of mystery and joy, of adversity and victory, that he could never quite remember once it had ended, like the details of a dream. It was a story of which he was the narrator, but as with his own music, he could not both create it and consume it at the same time.
Liza-Marie
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a while - but things got really hot and crazy from page 120.

The ending was good, and I probably would have ended the story there if my friend didn't mention that the next one was even better! Suppose I have to finish the rest of this series now.

Good work, Kent!
Katilyn
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
I was very disappointed in this book. I didn't find it near as gripping as the first two, and once the element of homosexuality was introduced I didn't even want to finish it. I think, in terms of any literature that isn't explicitly a romance novel, sex should be used very sparingly and have a reason for it. In his first two books there were also sexual encounters but they were important to the plot and didn't feel contrived and awkward. However, in this most recent installment, it was incredib ...more
Umut
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Her macerası Rusya tarihinde önemli bir olaya paralel ilerleyen bu eser, kesinlikle alınası, okutulası, arşivde saklanası, herkesin duyması gereken bir eser. Allah kısmet ederse ölmeden önce bir kere daha okumak istediklerim arasına kaldırdım. Bu yılki Tüyap'ta ki imza günün kaçırmış olmam en büyük pişmanlıklarımdan.
Bahadır Satır
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jen Smith
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. This one I think was the best so far. Great history of Russia. Loved having vampires involved. Great read.
Jeff Tate
Another good entry in the series. The pacing is much better than the last book. A great mix of historical fiction and suspense horror.
Umut Badakoğlu
Bazı yerlerde akıcılığını yitiriyor ve eski karakterle yenileri arasında bağlantı zor kuruluyor ama serinin sevenleri için tavsiye ederim kötü bir kitap değil.
Titus Crabb
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first two, but not bad. This series would have been better as a trilogy I'm guessing. Mr. Kent is a great story teller though.
Ihsan Duzgun
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great mix of history and horror..
William
Leon Hitter
Dec 30, 2016
Liviu
Oct 25, 2010 marked it as tried-but-not-for-me
ultimately, too much in vampire stuff for my taste
Cagdas Akdemir
Apr 04, 2016
Ahmet Keskİn
Apr 19, 2013
Eric Vance
rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2016
Nov 16, 2014
Rita
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Exiled Blade (The Assassini, #3)
  • Land of Hope and Glory (Land of Hope and Glory, #1)
  • A Guile of Dragons (A Tournament of Shadows, #1)
  • With Fate Conspire (Onyx Court, #4)
  • Fenrir (The Wolfsangel Cycle #2)
  • Blood to Blood (Dracula Continues, #2)
  • The World on Blood
  • Harry Keogh: Necroscope and Other Weird Heroes!
  • The Kingmakers (Vampire Empire, #3)
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • Black Halo (Aeons' Gate, #2)
  • Thieves' Quarry (Thieftaker Chronicles, #2)
  • And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Prince of Lies (Night's Masque, #3)
  • Wolf's Empire: Gladiator
  • Blackdog
  • Clash of Iron (Iron Age, #2)
Jasper Kent was born in Worcestershire, England in 1968. He attended King Edward's School, Birmingham and went on to study Natural Sciences at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, specializing in physics.

Jasper has spent almost twenty years working as a software engineer in the UK and in Europe, whilst also working on writing both fiction and music. In that time, he has produced the novels Twelve, Thirteen Ye
More about Jasper Kent...

Danilov Quintet (5 books)
  • Twelve (The Danilov Quintet, #1)
  • Thirteen Years Later (The Danilov Quintet,  #2)
  • The People's Will (The Danilov Quintet, #4)
  • The Last Rite (Danilov Quintet, #5)