Start by marking “Invasion” as Want to Read:
Invasion

Invasion

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  5,404 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
With his finger on the pulse of the latest medical technology, Robin Cook preys on our deepest fears with uncanny skill. Now, in his most provocative thriller to date, he explores a sudden outbreak of strange new symptoms that defy diagnosis. The cause is unknown --- and unknowable --- because it is unlike anything humankind has ever seen ...
Published April 1st 1997 by Berkley (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Invasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invasion

Patrick Gibson
They are microscopic, and turn humans into smiling, easy going save-the-planet ecologists less worried about greed and wealth than health and survival. So, may I ask, what is wrong with this? Why try to exterminate them? I wondered this all the way through the book.

Gotta be the first time I rooted for the invaders.

Robin, er, MR. COOK, since we are no longer on such good terms, writes in the preface he wrote this on spec for a television miniseries. I am glad I read that. This allowed me to expec
Bodosika Bodosika
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not too believable but readable... I will give it 2 star.
Allison
Dec 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: alien freaks
A weak offering by Cook, who never bothers to really develop characters anyway, this implausible tale moves pretty fast and is incredibly predictable. Moreover, the ending (which I will not reveal) is perhaps MORE stupid than the amusing/comedic "defeat" of the aliens in "Evolution" (the movie with Duchovny and that guy from the 7-up commercials, whassisname, Orlando Jones,) where they use Selsun Blue to knock out the blubbery alien mass. At least in "Evolution," the ending is plausible. I won't ...more
Dee Toomey
Dec 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Although Robin Cook has written many books, this is the first I have ever read.

The cover says it was made into a TV movie and somehow I missed the movie as well, but after reading the book, I would like to see the movie.

A meteor falls to the earth, landing in a plume of dust and debris. This smooth, black, disk-like meteor suddenly extends an arm and collects samples of the earth to verify that it has indeed landed on the right planet. Once this is confirmed, the plan is put into action.

As an un
AH
Well, it's been a long time since I've read Robin Cook's books. I used to devour these types of books many years ago, but now the appeal seems to have gone. This is not to say that this is a bad book - it's not - it is actually a quick read and entertaining. It just lacks something for me.

What I did like about this book was the originality of the aliens. These guys were microscopic which is a new one for me. I also liked the group of people who combined their efforts to thwart the alien invasio
Lisa
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Storyline aside, I can't stand the way Robin Cook writes. His sentence structure is painfully clunky, he chooses to omit contractions in dialog in the weirdest places, and he actually uses exclamation points in narrative. I also felt that the storytelling was immature - not what I expected from such a prolific author. And honestly...the end wrapped up a little too quickly and neatly for me. Not a fan.
Forgetfulone
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, fiction
I picked up this book because it was a bargain, and Robin Cook has a reputation as a successful writer. This is not a typical Robin Cook medical thriller, though. This is Cook's foray into science fiction. There is still a bit of medical thriller in it, but the "invasion," of course, is alien life.

The book begins in a college town with a power surge that wipes out TVs, radios, and VCR's. Remember, this was written in 1997. This literally made me think of "The Twilight Zone." (cliche') I could he
Janene
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written and entertaining. I enjoyed the storyline and think the characters were developed well enough. If you like something with a scifi feel and plot to include aliens..... then this book will be right up your alley. Little bit of a cheesy ending but that's okay I like cheesy ends.

Enjoy your read :)
Joe O'Connor
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent; Unlike usual medical suspense novels, this time its aliens taking over the Earth through a virus passed on by small black discs; a small group works to develop a cure.
Wyatt
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response: To be honest, I want to work in the medical field some day! After reading , it helped me understand a lot of the content that was given throughout the book and explained how one man's journey through the medical field, persuaded him into becoming an Emergency Room doctor. This book also displayed many heart pounders and made you grip anything around you, just to show how incredible the book was!

Plot: The book starts out in the cold, dark skys of outer space. An Alien Virus ar
Atilio Frasson
Una vez leí un artículo no recuerdo si era de un escritor o un lector, dónde decía que crear buenos personajes puede salvar una mala trama, obviamente lo ideal es una buena trama con buenos personajes, pero una buena trama podía venirse abajo con malos personajes. No sé cuán cierto sea esto, pero en este libro se puede aplicar eso. Una trama que podría ser entretenida, si bien no la gran cosa, pero sí entretenida, que se viene abajo por personajes que no tienen alma. En ningún momento pude senti ...more
Teri
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Todd Russell
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A science fiction departure from Cook's normal medical thriller yarns that still manages to blend enough Cook that it works. Could almost feel those creepy little alien black rocks that infect on touch. I like how the author took a unique point of view for the alien invasion and the ending worked.
Karen Mcconville
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Pretty good up until the end, then it just stops.
Ruth
Jan 09, 2017 added it
Corny and too similar to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Stick to medical thrillers, Robin.
Jeff Miller
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A SF thriller reminiscent of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Although the mechanism and aliens are totally different. Actually rather unique do-gooder aliens - the worst type. Pretty enjoyable.
Riannon
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
It drove me crazy that the author kept writing "alright" as if it were one word. It is not ALL RIGHT to do that! Don't people use editors anymore?
Michael Lawrie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I have not read anything by Robin Cook before and I can honestly say that I will likely never read anything by him in the future. There is so much I would love to say about this book over a glass of whiskey if we had the time, but alas we do not. Instead I'll try to be succinct and not revel in the utter misuse of my time spent in reading this book.

First, I found this book on the staff room table at work. I picked it up because the ideas it purports to explore: environmentalism, extraterrestrial
Petra Sando
I have read a few Robin Cook books in my lifetime and liked most. Those came before I learned more about creative writing. I agree with other reviewers that this book, both on a "for fun" and "I am a writer myself now" level, was a bit disappointing. I learned to take anything out of a novel that does not drive the novel forward, and I would have eliminated quite a few things in favor of fleshing out the characters more and adding more back-story on the aliens. I kept taking breaks between readi ...more
Debbie Zapata
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dar
Mom knows I have enjoyed Cook's books in the past, so she saved this one for me after buying it for herself at a used book sale. She wanted me to have something to read at night while I was visiting, but I was always so tired by the end of each day that I never made much progress in the story until I got home a few days ago.

It's gripping, it's fast-paced and fairly easy to read, not being stuffed too full of tons of technical information. But it also felt a bit predictable, and I was often confu
Maetta
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The book starts innocently enough with a trio of two in medical school, Pitt (ER tech) and Beau, and the student teacher Cassy they both love. There is undoing rivalry but the girl and Beau live together so mute point. A meteor shower leaves some interesting black perfectly round discs. Ooh shiny! Very attractive and interesting for people to pick up. Beau picks one up and dares Pitt to test out the heft. Somehow Beau is “pinched” by the smooth object. The next day he’s in the hospital with a fl ...more
Rick Patterson
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ahh, the importance of putting a little bit of energy into developing characters rather than chasing an implausible plotline that has been done better by other people. This is a mash-up of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, War Of The Worlds, and the National Enquirer, all of which speaks to Cook's ambition in getting some kind of story going, but it is all so unimportant if we can't connect with the people that it's all happening to. Creative Writing 101.
Pramod Ks
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have probably read this book before. I realized this towards the end but strangely I have no other memory of this book from reading before. Only the virus being used made me remember it. This book is good for scifi lovers. The concept is unique but somehow there seems to be something missing still.
David
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book. The concept behind the book is not what I had expected from Robin Cook. I thought it will be yet another doctor couple trying to find why some bodies are missing in the mortuary. But the story is an unexpected one. But it still has all the thrills and technicalities of a medical thriller. Robin Cook has taught Michael Crichton. That makes sense.
Danielle Perez terrazas
The concept of the story is definitely not unique. It reminded me of the Movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which I love. So I must give credit to the book; the concept not being unique does not mean I didn't enjoy it. I just felt the ending was a bit rushed. Robin Cook does well in developing his characters and story, but why just end the book with a quickness. I wanted more.
Shannon Lawrence
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The premise is interesting, and the pacing pretty good. The lack of contractions, even in dialogue, drove me nuts; it made the sentences clunky and slowed my reading. I like the medical expertise he brought to the book, and the characters were well drawn, even when they weren't likable.
Peggy
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sci-fi fan and this book did not disappoint.
Paula Špoljarić
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome
Renee
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story and kept my interest
Valerie Moschovis
Great read

Extremely entertaining. I didn't want to put it down. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good syfy story.
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Invasion 1 5 Aug 11, 2016 01:49PM
  • Side Effects
  • The Andromeda Strain / The Terminal Man / The Great Train Robbery
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Undone
  • Mary, Mary
  • Blood Lies
  • Flawless (Nathaniel McCormick #2)
  • The Journey Back
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri
More about Robin Cook

• Drawing Lessons
  • Revolution 2020
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Silver Music Box (The Silver Music Box series Book 1)
  • Peak
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
“Los hombres son todos iguales, cuando se sienten mal, no quieren reconocerlo.” 2 likes