Start by marking “Winning” as Want to Read:
Winning

Winning

(Winning #1)

A champion manager of people, Jack Welch shares the hard-earned wisdom of a storied career in what will become the ultimate business bible

With Winning, Jack Welch delivers a wide-ranging, in-depth, no-holds-barred management guidebook about the tough strategic, organizational, and personal challenges that face people at every stage of their careers. Loaded with candid pers
Published April 5th 2005 by Harper Business (first published January 1st 1992)

Start your review of Winning
Chris
Jul 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
1) Keep your HR Director on the Senior Team.

2) The top 20% usually do a great job of managing their work-life balance because they've learned to cultivate relationships, budget time, set boundaries and absorb surprises. Crisis at home seldom spills over to work. By contrast, the other 80% usually have trouble keeping things in check because they lack these skills or cannot seem to translate them from one environment to the other.

3) Avoid people/weed out people who think/talk/act like victims. A
Ruslan Kuzamysh
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
UNDERNEATH IT ALL

Have a positive attitude and spread it around, never let yourself be a victim, and for goodness' sake -- have fun.

MISSION AND VALUES

Effective mission statements balance the possible and the impossible.

Setting the mission is top management's responsibility. A mission cannot be delegated to anyone except the people ultimately held accountable for it.

Example Value Statement: "We treat customers the way we would want to be treated" translates into:

*** Give customers a good, fair dea
Louis
Jan 23, 2008 added it
Comments on "Winning" by Jack Welch

This is a very down to earth book; with lots of advices that are sensible and convincing. Also, this book is suitable for even job-starters. In fact, I think it is particularly valuable for our kids because it prepare them for what the real world looks like and what they should do in order to succeed (not just to climb the corporate ladder but to achieve job satisfaction).

For instance, it points out quite a number of key problems with most Chinese companies: no
Lance
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have to confess that I was a little biased in selecting this book as the next one for me to read. I thought it a good idea to get some ideas from the man that did so much to transform the company that employs me today. The GE of today is not the GE that Jack built, and yet in many ways it is in that Jack Welch provided the foundation for the culture that exists in the company today. A lot of what I see at work made so much more sense after reading what Jack wrote.

I say Jack because I felt almo
Aljoharah Alobaikan
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is so great written by Jack Welch who is one of the most prominent CEOs of the last century. He has earned name recognition from people around the world.
It’s written clearly and simply it's not filled with "the same old stuff". Even the principles you've heard before are presented through his own interesting experiences.
Unlike many other authors who can be somewhat academic. Welch talks a lot about ethics and the need to win fairly while maintaining high ethical standards. He has a
Serise
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Winning. Winning. Winning. Where do I even start with Winning? This is an audiobook/book that I listen to and read ALL THE TIME. Differentiation, 20-70-10, and who can forget CANDAH?

If you get the audiobook, keep in mind that this is narrated by Jack Welch. In full Bostonian accent. However, it adds a certain rawness and grit to a business book that really gives it nice dimension.

I'm a pretty big Jack Welch fan, but there are some down points. I feel that Six Sigma is a flawed methodology, a p
Bakunin
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, leadership
This is basically a book on management by the former CEO of General Electric.
It contains the kernel of Welchs views on what leadership is all about.
Its about finding the right people for the right job and giving them the right incentive to keep working. Having started my own business last year I needed some form of guidelines as to how to lead people to a success. This certainly gave me some inspiration but I would say its mostly for managers in larger companies.
Hung
Dec 30, 2008 added it
Saw this a while ago while putzing about at the Denver library (there was a stack of 8 or so of this book, which caught my eye). I'm not particularly interested in business management on a practical level, but these corporate self-help books have always intrigued me. So I read it with a strange, almost voyeuristic fascination.

It's been a couple years, so I won't go into many specifics of the contents. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure you can find more helpful reviews, or better yet, j
Lucas
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Candor Effect:
1) Candor gets more people in the conversation, and when you get more people in the conversation, to state the obvious,, you get idea rich. By that, I mean any more ideas get surfaced, discussed, pulled apart, and improved. Instead of everyone shutting down, everyone opens up and learns.
2) Candor generates speed. When ideas are in everyone's face, they can be debated rapidly, expanded and enhanced, and acted upon.
3) Candor cuts costs - lots - although you'll never be able to pu
Pradit Pinyopasakul
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Winning is one of the book I like the best, due to its practicality. Although I finished reading this book since 6 years ago, I still remember the chapter on Strategy which is really practical. That chapter contains questions that you can use to run a workshop to develop a strategy for your company. It as well suggests the best practices of companies that win.

This book covers all the topics that management have to concern, starting from how to set corporate vision and values, candor as the best
Julia
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
This book came in a goodie bag in a new job orientation class. No prizes for guessing which company that was for! Jack W. has a hard lined approach to management. The biggest takeaway from this book is Welch's philosophy: GE doesn't hire the brightest because they don't buy his bulldozer style. GE hires those who are driven, ambitious and determined to succeed with grit, tenacity and unquestioning subordination to the GE way of life.

Welch managed GE in an era where American manufacturing led the
Adam Wiggins
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Wide-ranging business advice from someone who was very successful over the course of his career. Topics include performance reviews, mergers and acquisitions, strategy, budgeting, hiring, and firing.

My favorite part was the bit about building trust in the organization through candor. In social life we've learned to be polite, not be critical of others, etc. In business you have to be honest, direct, and straight-forward with people, especially when you have critical feedback for them. In a word,
Alissa Thorne
When compared the the business books that claim to have a magic formula that applies to any business, person or situation, the opinionated perspective of one guy and his experience was a welcome relief. I admit, when I first started the book, the abrasive tone and grating voice of the author was offputting--I didn't think I was going to get through much. However, it wasn't long before I forgot all about the audio experience and became engrossed in the material.

Even at the times when I felt that
Aoi
1. The HR Director must be at least as important as the CFO

2. Mismatch between mission statement and business- Enron Auditing vs Enron Consultancy

3.The GE Work-Out!!

4.Divide every organization into the top 20, middle 70 & bottom 10 percent. Treat the stars well- heavy bonuses, fat compensation & benefits, but let them stay grounded. Motivate the middle 70 percent to improve- they are your backbone and indispensable. Work towards slowly replacing the bottom 10.

5.The best place to be boss is whe
Karen Jackson
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed this book. Great read for just about anyone. Especially if you are in a leadership role.
This book offers the reader a distinct opportunity to 'read and learn' directly from someone who sacrificed, fought through major personal challenges, and not only made a tremendous impact on a company, but also had tremendous impact on a countless of personal careers, not to mention, made a fortune by applying his fierce management strategies.If you desire a prosperous career, make this
Martianngray
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to anyone no matter if you are a business person or not. I really loved this book and kept talking to Shawn about it. I think his theories can apply to everyone in whatever they are doing in life. I kept thinking about the characteristics of a "winning person" and what I can do to improve. Basically his take home message is that a "winning person" is one who helps others succeed in life. What a great message. He gives lots of great practical advice for self-improvemen ...more
Tanja Berg
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, non-fiction
A few pages into the book I was shocked at how American this book is. If employees don't deliver, get rid of them is one of the messages. If business units don't deliver (are number 1 or 2 in their sectors), shut them down. Of course, there is nothing wrong with this advice, it's just very difficult to implement. Not that I've had to, as of yet. Anywhow, Welch has been very succesful throughout his career and this book is his concise take on business. There is definitely constructive input to be ...more
Ahmet Kara
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, top100
(Although a bit dated) This book is a good read on how to deal with -nearly- everything regarding business life. The author, being an experienced and also a well-known business leader, shares a ton of advice on corporate matters.

It was in 2006 when I first read this book, taking pages and pages of personal notes at the time. Today, I've passed through those notes (22 pages of personal notes in total -- I could not believe myself for those fabulous notes). In addition, I've made some partial read
Sana Vasli
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was really surprised about how much I enjoyed this book. Straight forward, practical, no bs management book. Covers everything from leading people to setting budgets.

He isn’t afraid to disagree with contemporary corporate fluff, which takes a bit to adjust to—but you gain an appreciation for it. His primary philosophy is that organisations should be a meritocracy and cuts out anything that interferes with that.
Elina Ishchenko
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, extremely useful and full of practical advises you'd like to apply once you read them. This is a must read directional guide not only for former executives, but also for those who are going to be a leader.  Author enreached his book with plenty of stories and real life examples illustrating each advise or principle.
Stefan Bruun
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book has a lot of great insights (and even more anecdotes). I think I picked the book up at the right time for me. It wouldn't have added much value if I had read it earlier in my career.
I'll suggest picking up this book when strategy, governance, and recruiting of seniors is a recurring pattern on your to-do list.
Puguh
Aug 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
...Shall be read along with The Lexus and The Olive Tree-Thomas Friedman.

"Despite all the flags on First Avenue, there are no nations any more. Only companies. lnternational companies. lt's where we are. lt's what we are" - Kuman-Kuman from scene of "The Interpreter"
Abdelkader Badawi
The journey of Jack Welsh in GE inspired me a lot to start up my own business, moreover I started my MBA after reading this book.
I recommend the book for all those who think of starting a business or being a future executive
Tõnu Vahtra
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that was written almost 15 years ago could be considered old in today's fast-moving world but it was definitely a very enjoyable read - Jack Welch knows what he is talking about. In most business books there is quite a lot of unnecessary/irrelevant stuff but practically every chapter in this book was readable. One could argue that much of it is common sense but balancing all the different aspects of leading a winning organization is something remarkable. This book is less about theory and ...more
Gena
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I started this book as I was developing the concept of what would become my recently launched business. Many of the the principles Jack discusses have already been put into action and others I'm looking forward to implementing. My biggest takeaways:

-My bosses cautioned me about my candor. Now that my GE career is over, I'm telling you that it was my candor that helped make it work. It just felt natural to speak openly, argue and debate, and get things to happen fast.

-What leaders do: -relentless
Samp
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young business professionals, teens, college students
There is no doubt about it, Jack Welch is a winner. He's a somewhat blunt (candor), lonely, divorced (and remarried), alienated father of 2 children...oh yeah, and he's also one of the most successful business leaders of our time, and a millionaire.

Looking back, this book makes me now think of Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. Jack Welch is a product of excellent opportunities and his own desire to succeed and work to exploit/take advantage of those opportunities. He put in his 10,000 hrs early in
Henrik Haapala

3. Options
4. Ownership
5. Work content

Good signs:
1. People: You like the people a lot -you can relate to them, and you genuinely enjoy their company.
2. Opportunity: The job gives you the opportunity to grow as a person and a professional, and you get the feeling you will learn things there that you didn’t even know you needed to learn.
3. Options: The job gives you a credential you can take with you, and is in a business and industry with a
Amanda
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sang Lee
This was a fantastic book. I love the way that Jack writes. You feel like you're sitting in the room with him and having a conversation with him. He's mentoring you through his book.

After completing an MBA, I feel like all business students should read this book. He hits so many good business concepts right on the head. However, it's not just a book for business leaders, as some of my favorite chapters were about how to manage your own career and enjoy your job.

He breaks the book down into:
Th
Reagan Ramsey
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-books
i really enjoyed this...jack welch is definitely not a politically correct author, but i appreciated his candor and insight in to what makes a company great. i would do some things differently than he did, but I found him to be remarkably thoughtful in his processes; from hiring and firing, to creativity and innovation.
i think this book would be of particular value to executives in a corporate setting but many of his tenets will translate to (and challenge) smaller business owners as well.
Artem Polishchuk
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Structured, provided with patterns, based on Jack's personal background, applicable to weather senior or middle leaders as well as to new managers. Absolutely fits to most markets around. I'd recommend to people who want to broaden their business acumen and to get an entire picture how business works in terms of people management, strategy setting up and business development mostly (as to me)! ...more
im gonna win the book challenge 3 10 Dec 31, 2018 01:38AM
Bookkeeping Services: An Idea that can change the course 1 2 Feb 05, 2016 10:36PM
Where Are The Won Books? 1 19 Jan 14, 2014 01:40PM
Winning 5 60 May 12, 2013 01:00PM

• The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life
  • Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
  • Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies
  • The One Minute Manager
  • The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors
  • The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Sam Walton: Made In America
  • The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less
John Francis "Jack" Welch Jr. was an American business executive, author and chemical engineer. He was chairman and CEO of General Electric between 1981 and 2001 presiding over a massive increase in the company's stock valuation.

He was coauthor with his wife Suzy Welch of a widely read weekly business column, The Welch Way, and launched the "Jack Welch Management Institute," an online MBA program.

Winning (2 books)
  • Winning: The Answers: Confronting 74 of the Toughest Questions in Business Today

News & Interviews

“Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.” 19 likes
“Common mission trap for companies: trying to be all things to all people at all times.” 14 likes