Start by marking “Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease” as Want to Read:

Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease offers precise diet and fasting programs to relieve headache, hypoglycemia, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, colitis, psoriasis, lupus, and uterine fibroids. You'll also learn:

- How to use fasting to lose weight
- How to start, what to expect, how to r
Published April 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 15th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Fasting and Eating for Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fasting and Eating for Health

Kend
Feb 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
     I have been fasting this year.  That is, I've been fasting every Friday as a sort of experiment, partially prompted by a class that required me to develop and practice a 'spiritual discipline' for the duration of the semester, and partially prompted by my curmudgeonly attitude towards all things ascetic and a desire to figure out why people are willing to injure their bodies for the sake of their souls.  I might add that this 'spiritual discipline' element of my graduate nonfiction craft cl ...more
Rachel
Jan 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book mostly just annoyed me. The author comes across as one of those people who expect you to automatically believe everything they say, because of their credentials, not because of any facts they may have to back up their claims. He spent very little of the book talking about the actual process of fasting; this book is basically just a rant about how protein is poisoning you to death and we all need to eat nothing but plants. Every time I stumbled across something that seemed useful, he'd ...more
Lauren
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I could fast until I learned about how healing it is for the body, mind and spirit. This book explains fasting, eating and health very well. If I can fast, anybody can fast. It feels so great and you will not believe how much better food tastes after fasting. It is worth the read and worth fasting. Joel's recipes have changed the health of many of our family and friends from very poor to fantastic in a short amount of time.
Ashley (JaffaCaffa)
"You must earn your good health, it cannot be bought."

I will say I feel like this book is inaccurately named. While there is some talk about fasting, I'd say 85% of this book is about changing your diet to a low-fat, plant-based diet. (15% or less fat, 10-15% protein, and 70-75% of calories from complex carbs) The last 32 pages of this book focuses completely on fasting, but throughout the rest of the book it focuses on diet and how harmful medications can be, with just a touch on how fasting ti
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This was very interesting to read, and makes some pretty spectacular claims for healing based on water-only fasting. Unfortunately, the benefits tend to come from longer-term, doctor-supervised fasts, which most of us cannot afford. However, there are some benefits to be had from shorter fasts you can do at home.
Megan Allen
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't really want to listen to this book. I didn't want it to make sense because then I'd have to make big changes. But it's truth is so blatantly obvious I couldn't ignore it. I'm really grateful for it.
Crystal
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Fuhrman explains the otherwise confusing information carefully extracted from various case studies in a way that the layman can understand (that's me). I thoroughly enjoyed reading this insightful book. My interest was so peaked that I've decided to read another work of his next; "Eat to Live". Insightful and eye-opening.
Student
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
First chapter praises fasting and all the health benefits of fasting. The following chapters discuss how certain diseases can be treated (and he claims to have treated) with fasting. Also in these chapters is constant praise for vegetarianism which is a bit outdated (check out paleo). Towards the end of the book he goes into a bit more technical detail in the mechanics of fasting. If i was to read this book again I would read the first and last chapter and skip the middle chapters.

Overall a good
Challis
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This one of the most enlightening and important books I've read. I want to buy one for each of my friends and family members.
Andrea Avalon
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I became a believer in the myth that the body can heal from any disease.
Susan Fong
May 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Sounds great and wish I could do it, but alas my twin toddlers and preschooler will not let me sit around in bed for two weeks while I don't eat!
Grace Dadoyan
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's not 'feed a cold, starve a fever', it's actually 'starve a cold, starve a fever'. This was a fascinating book about fasting and its role in allowing the body to focus on healing.
Maggie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-health
I want more information on 2 things:
1. How to find a doctor near me who is familiar with prolonged fasting.
2. How long I can fast safely, without Dr observation, since I have no idea how to find one.

Really fascinating information and astounding case reports and studies.
I want these results as well. I want to experience this for myself but I am unsure of how to male that happen.
Emilian Nedelcu
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very useful information on fasting and benefits that comes to your body when you try to fast for a period of time. I would not recommend to try fasting without your doctor approval though.

I liked the book, but I expected to find more examples on what to eat for a healthy life, post fasting.
Carlos Chikiamco
Disappointed

I bought this book thinking that it contains detailed steps on how to do the fasting. It does but only espouses fasting all throughout the book.
Linda Brown
Nov 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is old and outdated. When it started to reference low fat I lost interest as the low fat science has been proven to be erroneous and faulty.
Teresa
This is not a novel so I didn't sit down and read it cover to cover. It's more a reference book after you've read the parts you're interested in.
Andrew
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Interesting information, but ultimately not really substantial enough to justify a whole book, more like a long pamphlet. The beginning makes a compelling case for water fasting, and the end explains a bit about the mechanics of how to actually do it, but the middle basically repeats the same argument over and over. It also provides a base level explanation of Fuhrman's studies on nutrition, but if you want to learn more about that, stick with his other book Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formul ...more
sleeps9hours
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating. I would totally try a 2-week water-only fast if there were someone here who was experienced in supervising one. He seems to say it is a good health maintenance step every 10 years or so. Fuhrman is serious about being under a doctor’s supervision and getting weekly bloodwork and daily check-ins. Now that the book is 20 years-old, I wonder if he’d recommend the same today and if he still does this a lot in his practice. His Eat to Live and other books don’t talk about fasting.
Ashish Singh
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I had really high hopes for this book given all the recommendations from different sources. I was hoping to find lots of insight into the benefits of fasting. Although, the book contains decent amount of information on fasting and its benefits but nothing that I didn't already know. Besides, the author is adamant on encouraging the reader to follow plant and complex carbohydrate based diet as against the fat & protein based diet that we would usually get from animal based food. He tries to c ...more
Maxim Wegner
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has inspired me to eat healthier and try fasting for myself.

This book describes fairly well how fasting and a better diet can help overcome certain deseases (alomst every single one).

The good:
- people afflicted by ceratin illnesses of our time (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) can find inspiring studies of how people got well again
- the studies are backed up by data and research (footnotes)

The bad:
- horribly, horribly edited. You need to look hard for new information...
- ... becaus
April Berube
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I bought this book as reading material for my three day fast. I really only enjoyed the first chapter and the last two chapters, as the middle was more about nutrition (not that anything is wrong with that, but I was looking for information on fasting specifically). It was an interesting read, and it helped keep me motivated on my fast. The principal behind waster fasting is that it helps the body to eat away things like damaged immune cells, free radicals, tumors, or any other damaged parts of ...more
Paul Gier
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book provides a good discussion on eating a healthy diet and some of the health effects of fasting. The author provides numerous studies which support his claims about diet and fasting, and includes his personal story about how fasting helped him recover from an injury. Much of the book focuses on discussing a strict organic vegan diet, and I felt like there was not enough discussion specifically about fasting, especially considering the title of the book.
Martha Smith
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you are lucky, you will read Dr. Fuhman's book before you have subjected yourself to medications and medical procedures. This book is for those who want to take charge over their health and well-being, and for those who want to embark on a journey toward a more satisfying life. I fasted, under doctor Paul Goldberg's supervision, 6 days and noticed significant health improvements!

I also recommend reading Natural Hygiene: The Pristine Way of Life by Dr. Herbert M. Shelton.
Trena
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although I don't agree that a vegetarian lifestyle is the only way to health, I believe he is correct that many diseases can be treated with fasting. He has treated patients successfully that have had type 2 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and migraines. It could be worth trying as a way to avoid medication.
Hanako
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
As usual when I read Fuhrman's books, I catch a bit of his enthusiasm. And now I think everyone should go on a fast. :) In all seriousness, it does seem to be a great way to reset your body if you are having any number of chronic conditions. I do believe in the body's power to heal itself and think that we are all slowly killing ourselves with our food and (lack of) exercise.
Jitender S.
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ITS A GEM. Great detail on FASTING and proving it be beyond doubt the amazing self-healing mechanism inherent in each of us. Modern is always lookout for new remedies but they forget that our body is still ancient/stone age. READ THIS BOOK WITH A OPEN MIND......At times unlearning is quite a challenge though!!
Hadi
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
A good primer on fasting and the impact on fasting on health and healing. Well researched and explained, it certainly gave me a lot to think about. The middle chapters - about specific conditions - get a bit repetitive but I only read the ones that were relevant to me in detail. I've done a couple of 3-days fasts and have been impressed with the results and am now planning a 2-3 week fast.
F. John
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's good to see that the medical community is coming around and recognizing what has always been true: The human body, if left to it's own devices, will respond to a healthful lifestyle. Give Dr. Fuhrman credit for having the guts to speak up. It was also good to see Herbert Shelton's name in a positive light. Time will show he was right.

If you liked this, you'll like fit for life too.
Abram
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read about healthy eating and the use of fasting in healing illness. I believe this would be an appropriate book for anyone interested in health or staying healthy. It references another book that I really liked: The China Study. All healthcare professionals should at least consider the things Dr. Fuhrman proposes.

• Food for Life: How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life
  • Green for Life
  • Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets
  • Student's Vegetarian Cookbook: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes
  • This Crazy Vegan Life: A Prescription for an Endangered Species
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • No More Bull!: The Mad Cowboy Targets America's Worst Enemy: Our Diet
  • Being Vegan
  • The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide to a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
  • Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness: The Complete Guide to Building Your Body on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Prof. Arnold Ehret's Rational Fasting for Physical, Mental and Spiritual Rejuvenation
  • The Thrive Diet
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Gerson Therapy -- Revised
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • The World Is Your Litter Box: Deluxe Edition: A How-To Manual for Cats
“The self-healing power of the body is often overlooked because it is rarely given a chance to act in a world that expects the quick fix.” 3 likes
“Therapeutic fasting accelerates the healing process and allows the body to recover from serious disease in a dramatically short period of time. In my practice I have seen fasting eliminate lupus and arthritis, remove chronic skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema, heal the digestive tract in patients with ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, and quickly eliminate cardiovascular diseases such as high blood pressure and angina. In these cases the recoveries were permanent: fasting enabled longtime disease sufferers to unchain themselves from their multiple toxic drugs and even eliminate the need for surgery, which was recommended to some of them as their only solution.” 1 likes