Start by marking “Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering” as Want to Read:
Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering

Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering

The practice of building software is a "new kid on the block" technology. Though it may not seem this way for those who have been in the field for most of their careers, in the overall scheme of professions, software builders are relative "newbies." In the short history of the software field, a lot of facts have been identified, and a lot of fallacies promulgated. Those fa ...more
Published November 7th 2002 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering

Graham
Nov 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-books
There are two main lessons I gleaned from this book. The first is that the easiest way to produce successful software is to hire the best software developers you can acquire. Based on several studies listed in the book, the best developers are up to 30 times more productive than the worst developers. This make procuring quality developers the most effective decision in managing a software project. The second important lesson is the benefit of code being looked at by multiple people. This is not ...more
Karl Becker
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I did more skimming of this book than focused reading. Still, I think it had some good lessons to take away, and can have its main points be digested rather quickly.

How I read it was I read the author's introduction, which discusses his methodology of putting together this book, and then went through each of the facts and fallacies listed by the author and thought about how that may or may not apply to my software development team. I took notes on each one that I thought would
Brett
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book gets 4 stars for being pleasant to read, well-structured, and efficiently impactful. I would have liked to see more studies supporting the facts and fallacies. A more accurate title for this book might be “55 Opinions and Fallacies Which are Probably Mostly Supported by Evidence”. Since Glass has a ton of industry experience, academic experience, and he’s written 25+ books it’s probably safe to accept his opinions for facts. He is very aware that some facts and fallacies will be contro ...more
Murilo
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok, Robert L. Glass is the Nassim Taleb of Software Engineering. Arrogant, confident, hate towards academicians, extremely smart and savvy in his field, not humble at all. (You can see Fallacy 9 as an example).

Besides his arrogance throughout the book and the facts/fallacies I strongly disagreed with (especially the last fallacy, one has to be CLUELESSLY STUPID to think that reading code is a better way of learning than writing code), what bothered me the most was that Glass made way too many st
Betty
I liked some of the facts and their presentation but most is just a repetition of the author's previous work. I give him credit for all the work he has done! It's a great legacy.
Just this type of a recipe book with a general attitude 'that's how this is, learn from me' does not resonate well with me. Some facts I liked and the references are helpful, if I need to look up a specific number.
Asafallenleaf
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Clearly written, contains some information never read elsewhere. I appreciated the Fact/Discussion/Controversy structure. It may be worth to check all the books mentioned in the "References" sections.
Mariano
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a fantastic book.
A great summary of real world software engineering principles, form a practitioner's approach.
It rebuts many long-time myths of software engineering, and makes emphasis practices that really work (facts).
Calvin Lee
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The book is somewhat old. I do not agree with every fact discussed in this book. decent reads.

Full review: https://stalk-calvin.github.io/blog/2...
Kálmán Kéménczy
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Collection of evergreen information.
Benjamin Cronce
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Opinions, reasons, and anti-opinions from a highly respected software engineer.
Adriano Carvalho
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In many cases it is hard to accept that some things which seem automatable to us won't be in the near future. Everyone in the field should read this.
Linchuan
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid book. The 65 points he mentioned are worthwhile enough for me to add to my Anki.
Philipp
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
55 'facts' and 10 'fallacies' on the practice of software engineering: from managing, to planning, to programming etc. The structure is always the same, first the fact in one or two sentences, then one or two pages discussing the fact, then a page of the controversy (criticisms, or opponents of the 'fact'), then some sources. As such, the book is quick reading, you can read one or two 'facts' on the bus.

Of course, the author's opinions shine through - he really doesn't like vendor salespeople (t
Evan Wondrasek
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
What I liked: The author has decades of personal experience in software development, and the wisdom he's gathered over the years is absolutely apparent. This book was littered with valuable anecdotal gems that all software developers should hear.

What I didn't like: So much of this book was anecdotal. Don't get me wrong, I'm can appreciate anecdotes from a wise individual, but it's hard for me to accept "facts", especially with specific numbers attached to them, with nothing but anecdotal evidenc
David
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The facts and fallacies presented in this book are very interesting in the sense that we are aware of many of them and no one does anything about it.

I really liked how the author focus a lot on maintenance; something that programmers spent most of their time doing, but very few realize of its difficulties and time-span.

One thing that bugs me is related to the book references for some of the facts/fallacies. Most of them have really good resources (from NASA for example); however, many other re
Khánh Nguyễn Hoàng Việt
Some facts I used to be believe become fallacies in the author point of view.
Some of author's opinions agreed with mine.
This book is good for introducing to the Software Engineering field.
The maintainance part is one of the best I think.
Cause he pointed out many of the problems when running a maintainance project.
His definition about quality really impressed me.
Quality should be measured base on multiple perspective instead of Customer satisfaction + On Schedule and on Budget. They are some (
Marcin Malinowski
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book can really get on your nerves. Author seems too self-confident, as resources he points mainly his own works, material may look outdated here and there, I don't think he gets XP...

But don't be fooled! There is a lot of good stuff in it. Especially about the maintenance (I fully agree with author that it's very neglected subject) e.g. "Fact 46: Maintenance is solution, not a problem". The more maintenance you have, the more successful is your product. WAT!? Stop and think about it. Most
Andreea Lucau
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting, a little bit from a different "age" (just 12 years ago seems so far away).
Some of the facts surprised me, but most of them are just things you kind of feel. One of the most surprising ones for me was one related to cause of errors: most of the errors are due to omission and case that were just not cover in the code.
Greg
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book is kind of motherhood and apple pie for software engineers and provides the engineer's perspective on why software projects fail. Nobody has really figured out how to make good software on time and on budget. This book just brings some reality to the picture that the hucksters with the latest fad - CASE! Agile!, ... - still don't have all the answers.
Jesper
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
A lot of interesting stuff in this book. I was surprised to find that so much of what seems like current material has been around for so long.
I found this book referenced in Code Complete as a good intro book to software engineering, I would agree with that assessment. This book makes for a good complement to Clean Coder, in particular the "facts" regarding maintenance.
John
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Meh.

If you want a good read on evidence based software development, go to Making Software instead. I don't really rate the rigour in the choice of sources (quotes his own studies here and there), nor necessarily draw the same conclusions.
Robert Chapman
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
Although published in 2002, this is still one of the best books I have read about the software industry. ALmost 10 years later the facts in this book still ring true today. This is a must read for everyone from coder to executive.
Steve
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A good collection explaining best practices in the field of software development. If you've been in the field for a while, you'll have already figured a lot of this stuf out, but it's good to see it collected in one place.
Angelo
Oct 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I did not really enjoy reading this book. It felt very idiosyncratic on the side of the author: most references in the book are actually self-references, and for a book written in 2003, it feels really dated. I would not recommend this book.
Joe
Jan 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software, development
Jewel of a book and a great source for quotes to use with your management.
Mohammad Fouad
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sbooks
Timeless book. I guess I would not appreciate it until I gained practical experience in the field. A must read for any senior developer or team leader.
John Sovereign
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I start a new working relationship, I usually ask if they’ve read this book. If they haven’t I usually restart the relationship with a little microservice “book club”. ;-)
Alex Allain
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is depressing; it's too easy to see your own mistakes in it. Of course, that's very valuable.

This is more philosophy than actionable information.
Zeyad Etman
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
i was confuesd about something, and this book make me more confused.
i think i should read it again or take the facts i agree with only.
in general i loved this book.

• Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules
  • The Psychology of Computer Programming
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Death March
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • The Best Software Writing I: Selected and Introduced by Joel Spolsky
  • Software Architecture in Practice
  • Ruby Best Practices
  • Code Reading: Open Source Perspective
  • Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • The Old New Thing: Practical Development Throughout the Evolution of Windows
  • Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative
  • The Success of Open Source
  • Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • My Job Went to India

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »