Start by marking “The Chrysalids” as Want to Read:
The Chrysalids

The Chrysalids

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  35,783 Ratings  ·  1,719 Reviews
A world paralysed by genetic mutation

John Wyndham takes the reader into the anguished heart of a community where the chances of breeding true are less than fifty per cent and where deviations are rooted out and destroyed as offences and abominations.
Mass Market Paperback, 200 pages
Published June 28th 1977 by Penguin Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Chrysalids, please sign up.
Merriman Lyon A chrysalis is a stage of development for an insect from one form to another, usually juvenile to adult. So I am guessing Chrysalid is a (invented)…moreA chrysalis is a stage of development for an insect from one form to another, usually juvenile to adult. So I am guessing Chrysalid is a (invented) word that echos this process.
This book is about changing states or evolution of species, predominantly human in this narrative. The constant changing of life and natural hierarchy. In nature nothing is static. Most of Wyndhams novels and short stories seem to flow with this in mind. (less)

Apatt
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
John Wyndham is often described in rather disparaging term as the main proponent of cosy catastrophe. This based on the allegation that his protagonists tend to be English middle class white males who are not much inconvenienced by the apocalypse, somehow continuing to live it up while the rest of the populace suffer. Having read three of his books I find that while the allegation is not entirely unwarranted it is also not quite fair. I hope to write more about this issue when I get around to re ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This has been on my shelf, unread, since uni, when I picked it up second-hand after reading and loving The Day of the Triffids, recommended to me by my mum. I can't believe I waited so long to read this amazing book, and if there is one book you should read in your life it is this one.

It has been a long time - how long no one can say, though surely centuries - since God sent the Tribulation to the Old People (us), near destroying everything we had built and learned. The Tribulation continues: t
Brendon Schrodinger
It is certainly easy to classify John Wyndham's The Chrysalids as old school YA fiction, from before YA fiction needed a label, but it offers more than your average after school special between covers in that it treats the reader as an intelligent and reasonable person, and that while there is a touch of the 50s to the book, it was certainly way ahead of it's time.

David Strorm is the only living son of a patriarch of an ultra-religious post-apocalyptic community. Faced a level of mutation in the
Dan Schwent
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-sf
The Chrysalids is my new favorite John Wyndham book. It's about conformity in a post-nuclear holocaust world. David and his friends live in an isolated community called Waknuk on the island of Labrador. After seeing one of his friends cast out into the Fringes for having a sixth toe, David begins mistrusting his upbringing. Once he discovers that he and a small group of his friends are telepathic, things only get worse.

Wyndham draws on the paranoia and distrust of the deviations from the norm th
Tracey
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An oldie but a goodie. Dystopian fiction at it's best from John Wyndham.
The main character David appears at first to be 'normal'. Anyone with a birth defect is a deviant and either killed outright or sent off to The fringes to live with the other mutant.
As he grows up David becomes aware of others like him who can communicate in thought patterns. (Telepathy). This if discovered would be classed as deviant and they and he would be in grave danger.
David has to protect his friends and especially
Kaitlin
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
John Wyndham has firmly managed to cement himself as a new favourite author for me after reading this as my second book by him (the first was Day of the Triffids). I think the way Wyndham writes, with inspiration drawn from a cosy British living in the 50s, and the fears brought about from the wartime before, mixed with a great blend of SF elements, just really works for me as a reader, and I find I can really enjoy his stories.

This is the story of David, a young boy who has a troubled upbringi
Althea Ann
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems wrong for the first adjective I'd use to describe a rather miserable future dystopia to be "nostalgic" but that was the mood this book swept me into. Not a nostalgia for the world described within the book, but rather for the style of writing. I read a great deal of fiction very similar to this in my early teenage years, but somehow, I believe I missed this one. Even if I had read it before, it would've held up to re-reading - this is quite an excellent book.

In a post-nuclear-war socie
Chris F
Feb 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone who would like a very obvious example of wolf in sheep's clothing manipulative techniques
At first it seems as if John Wyndham is making the point that those with physical deformities are humans just like everyone else, and should be treated as such. However if we divide this book into heroes and villains, and weigh up the pros and cons for each group we find that the “heroes” are the greater monsters. If the villains are defined by their intolerance of anyone or anything that deviates from the norm then our band of heroes, and their ultimate savior, are the worst offenders. I was le ...more
Manny
Perhaps the best sound-bite from the anti-evolution camp is the one about the tornado. If a tornado hit a junkyard, how likely is it that it would randomly create a 747? I was surprised to learn the other day that the line originally comes from Fred Hoyle, the brilliant but eccentric astrophysicist who also coined the phrase "Big Bang". Of course, it's not a fair comparison. The whole point, as everyone from Darwin onward has explained, is that evolution isn't a one-shot process; it's the result ...more
Brandon
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brandon by: Alaina
Many years have passed since a devastating nuclear war left much of the world in ruins. A small village in northern Labrador comprised of religious fundamentalists is on the lookout for what they call “deviations” - food, animals or even people who deviate from the socially acceptable norm. Once these deviations have been discovered, it is either to be destroyed on the spot or if you’re one of the few people born with a deformity, sterilized and banished from the community, destined to live in w ...more
El
I nominated this book for my real-life book club because I was trying to think of something that would fit a Halloween-sort-of theme, and some description I saw of this book mentioned the Devil, so why not?

Sorry, book club. Not very Halloween-y, eh? And, apparently (at least in Pittsburgh), really difficult to find. I failed you all this month.

It is a post-apocalyptic novel, though, and I'm usually down for that. This particular post-ap novel is also a coming-of-age story, which I have to admit
Katie Lumsden
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant - one of the best books I've read in terms of dealing with a post-apocalyptic world and what they might mean. The writing is beautiful and the characterisation and world-building subtly done. The society Wyndham builds is terrifying and fascinating, and brilliantly created. I think I preferred the slower first half to the more action-driven second half, but this will still definitely be one of my favourites of this year!
Jonathan Terrington

Having recently read John Wyndham's famous novel The Day of the Triffids, which is known more for the film adaptations, I decided to read another of Wyndham's books. The result left me very satisfied and I must conclude that Wyndham now holds a place on my (imaginary) bookshelf of favourite classic sci-fi authors alongside Wells, Asimov and Verne to name a few.

The idea of The Chrysalids is simple but executed extremely well. As a result The Chrysalids is a complement to the aesthetic as well as
Ashley
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-read
A very thought-provoking and equally entertaining read that explores various themes close to my heart. Amongst them are the notion of the 'ideal' body, the use and abuse of power, the evolution of the mind and the concepts of truth and falsehood. And the best thing about this book is that it features my favourite kind of fictional characters: wise children with telepathic power!
M. Ihsan Tatari
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
İnsanı insan yapan nedir? Irkı mı? Ten rengi mi? Milliyeti mi? Yoksa düşünceleri ve kişiliği mi? John Wyndham, Krizalitler adlı eserinde tam da bu konuyu sorguluyor işte. Ama bilimkurgunun, hatta belki de biraz da fantastiğin o kendine özgü eleştiri kılıcını kuşanarak, farklı ve gerçeküstü bir yoldan yapıyor bunu.

Hikayemiz Waknuk köyünde yaşayan, David adlı bir çocuğun başından geçenleri konu alıyor. David dış görünüş açısından son derece normal, hatta sıradan biri. Ve bu onun için inanılmaz bir
Hákon Gunnarsson
This was a bit different from The Day of the Triffids, (the only other John Wyndham novel I have read) and a bit similar as well. The Triffids is set during an present day (at the time of publication that is) apocalypse, while The Chrysalids is a post apocalyptic novel set in the future. The plot of both center around characters that are in the run, thought I think it takes longer until that part begins in The Chrysalids. Most importantly for me, I liked both of them.

It's an interesting read at
Simon
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
A post apocalyptic world in which society puritanically tries to resist the deviations that beset their crops, livestock and people through genetic mutations.

David Strorm, never quite understanding his father's fervour for normality soon discovers that he (and certain others) deviate from the norm in a new and undetectable way. As they try to keep their difference hidden and try to be normal, they eventually discover that they won't ever fit in and with the arrival of David's sister Petra, it b
Adrian
Another wonderfully written Wyndham book. Similar to some of the other reviewers I find that Wyndham's writing draws you in, and before you know it an hour has passed (Not lost as reading is never about losing time) and you want to carry on to continually find out what happens next.
As with some of his other novels I would have loved a sequel to find out how the characters fared on the next stage of their journey, but maybe thats the sign of a good writer, leave the reader wanting more.
In my view
Mattia Ravasi
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
#11 in my Top 20 Books I Read in 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIWkw...

An excellent excercise in post-apocalyptic fiction from a master of the genre - compelling storytelling, intelligent reflections and believable characters. An amazing reading experience.
PS, chrysalids = readers. Think about it.
Paul Reed
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I usually have a three book rule which states that I only read three consecutive books by any author. It's mostly to stop me from getting bored. Not so with Wyndham. I'm four in and still wanting more. I haven't read the Chrysalids since I was a youth, and, understandably, a lot of the evolutionary/religious themes were lost on me back then. It's a much richer reading experience now. As usual with Wyndham, this is a story which raises all manner of questions regarding what constitutes perfection ...more
Jean
I love this book! It affects me every time I read it, or listen to/watch an adaptation of The Chrysalids. The depiction of a post-nuclear world, where a tiny minority of telepaths are pitted against the general population of religious bigots is pure Wyndham. He takes just a small step away, presents a "What if?" scenario, and proceeds to show human behaviour in all its aspects, warts and all.
Yaprak
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gerçekten çok keyifle okuduğum bir kitap oldu.

Krizalitler bizi post apokaliptik bir dünyaya götürüyor. Aslında felaketin ne olduğunun tam olarak bilmiyoruz fakat canlılarda görülen mutasyonlar bize her ne olduysa bunun nükleer bir durum olduğunu tahmin ettiriyor. Waknuk köyündeki David'in hikayesini okuyoruz. Waknuk köyü oldukça dindar ve tüm canlıların Tanrı'nın onları yarattığı şekilde olması gerektiğini düşünerek bunun dışında kaldığını var saydıkları her şeyi 'Sapkınlık' olarak nitelendirip
Marianna Neal
3.5 out of 5 stars

This was my first John Wyndham book, and though I can't say I loved it, I am definitely interested in reading more of his work. This particular post-apocalyptic setting is very interesting, but the characters took a while for me to get into, and the second half of the book was more engaging than the first. Overall, I enjoyed it and would recommend it to fans of post-apocalyptic fiction.
Ana Rînceanu
The good guys vs bad guys narrative really gets complicated by the end of this novel...
Nikki
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've been meaning to read The Chrysalids since it was mentioned in Among Others (reading books Mori mentions hasn't steered me wrong, so far). I'm glad I got round to it. I enjoyed Wyndham's Day of the Triffids, but I enjoyed The Chrysalids rather more: I fell in love with the way he created a whole post-apocalyptic world in just a few pages. I loved all the details of it -- harsh and oppressive as it would be to live that life, it's a fantastic read for someone interested in post-apocalyptic dy ...more
Robert
Aug 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
With this novel Wyndham abandons his contemporary-documentary settings and style and tells a future-post-nuclear-holocaust tale instead - and wow! What a difference!

In contrast to a rather dry telling of a tale in which there is little by way of incident, if possibly a lot by way of thought-provocation, as can be found in The Midwich Cuckoos or Trouble with Lichen, this is a story with much in the vein of adventure story but also a message about religion, (in)tolerance and differences between pe
Damon
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the best of the Wyndham books. Quite a good adventure about a bunch of kids that are worried about being hunted down by their community in a post apocalyptic setting.
Ana-Maria Petre
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love clever science fiction because it is far more close to being philosophical than scientific or even fictional. A few more examples from this category are Ray Bradbury's" Fahrenheit 451" , R. A. Heinlein's" Stranger in a Strange Land" and Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot". As in the case of Wyndham's book, they all pose very interesting ontological questions and do not limit themselves to being novel or shocking.

Now, I know there was a golden age when science fiction had only been invented and fly
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
This book had such a promising start, I was convinced I was going to love this, and then rather than the action packed/suspenseful/thrilling parts I was hoping and yearning for, the end consisted of a lot of discussion and everything being way too neatly and quickly wrapped up. If I were a teen and wasn't already familiar with all the philosophical, psychological and religious themes discussed, I might find this more interesting. As it is I see the value in this book having been written, especia ...more
Around the Year i...: The Chrysalids, by John Wyndham 2 12 Oct 18, 2017 11:54PM
  • The Inverted World
  • Greybeard
  • The Sheep Look Up
  • Drowning Towers
  • The Wild Shore (Three Californias Triptych, #1)
  • Davy
  • The Drought
  • The Long Tomorrow
  • When Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #1)
  • Riddley Walker
  • Hello Summer, Goodbye
  • The Iron Heel
  • The Kill-Off
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • The Slynx
  • Dark Universe
John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris was the son of a barrister. After trying a number of careers, including farming, law, commercial art and advertising, he started writing short stories in 1925. After serving in the civil Service and the Army during the war, he went back to writing. Adopting the name John Wyndham, he started writing a form of science fiction that he called 'logical fantasy'. ...more
More about John Wyndham

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“The essential quality of life is living' the essential quality of living is change; change is evolution; and we are part of it.” 42 likes
“So you're in love with her?' she went on.

A word again ... When the minds have learnt to mingle, when no thought is wholly one's own, and each has taken too much of the other ever to be entirely himself alone; when one has reached the beginning of seeing with a single eye, loving with a single heart, enjoying with a single joy; when there can be moments of identity and nothing is separate save bodies that long for one another ... When there is that, where is the word? There is only the inadequacy of the word that exists.

'We love one another,' I said.”
38 likes