Start by marking “Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both” as Want to Read:
Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both

Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both

Scrum and Kanban are two flavours of Agile software development - two deceptively simple but surprisingly powerful approaches to software development. So how do they relate to each other? The purpose of this book is to clear up the fog, so you can figure out how Kanban and Scrum might be useful in your environment. Part I illustrates the similarities and differences ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Lulu.com

To ask other readers questions about Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both

Start your review of Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
Andreas
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: computer-science
More than half of the book is empty due to an excessive amount of whitespace: Empty or half-empty pages, over-large chapter numbers, too many subchapters.
Half of the book is dedicated to a specialized practice situation which can't be transferred to different situations.
This is a very light touch of the subject, you'll find no deep dives or outstanding thoughts here.
But if you want a contrasting overview Scrum vs. Kanban, this is a good book.
Dzsosszika
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile-books
A great accessible book to learn and compare Kanban and Scrum. Recommended for those looking for a practical insight. Henrik’s ability to take difficult concepts and explain things simply is incredibly beneficial for those new to Scrum and Kanban. Also good for experienced practitioners so learn how to explain the concepts simply.
Urszula
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because in a short piece of time it lets you learn the basics of using Scrum and Kanban for your needs. Although it's from 2009 it's still very useful and helped me to made up my mind about how I want to run my project.
João
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great read. Fast-paced, maybe too much so in some parts -- it's good that the book is always on topic and straight to the point, but I felt some aspects lacked more context (history, reasons why, etc.).
Kars
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was a bit confused about the difference between Kanban and Scrum. This book cleared up the confusion in no time at all, plus it helped me consider which parts of each process tool fit my own practice best.
Toni SCRUMptious
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant (& very short) book about Kanban and Scrum.

The first half outlines Kanban and Scrum including their respective advantages and disadvantages.

Most exciting is that the second half of the book is a case study of setting up Kanban in an Operations department. Prior to being a ScrumMaster, I worked within an Operations department as a Service Desk Manager, I’ve been on the look-out for something along these lines and not found much specific, until now!

The writing style was to gather
Nikolay
Short overview of Scrum and Kanban frameworks and their comparison. Book also contains case study of real project that made significant improvement in efficiency after introduction of Kanban board in their processes.
Book should be very useful for those who just started or want to start the path of working in Scrum or Kanban way (or both) and need some direction and advises on how to start. Also I'd recommend this book to read for everyone who is too tightly follow one specific approach (Scrum or
Murray Cumming
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
This is a simple introduction to a simple idea (Kanban limits work in progress, forcing you to deal with bottlenecks, or at least recognize them). But it's a bit less to the point than the "Scrum and XP from the trenches" book.

The second half (by a different author) has a less concise, less confident, style, which slightly obscures the interesting stories that it tells. Also, don't be put off by the waffly second foreword.
Dejan Vukmirovic
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Henrik Kniberg's books, mainly the focus he has on concrete issues without much of "beat around the bush" talks. Generally, the style of his books is what I like and that allows quite fast paced reading. I stormed through this one in less than 2 days.

Additional moment in this book with story "from the trench" is quite valuable.

I think I read this book long time ago, looked to familiar :D.
Lars Denkewitz
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very nice writing style, intuitive and easy to read.
Gives a good introduction of what the title is promises without in a very practical way.
The last chapter is a little bit too detailed in how they ran their practical example and I lost track af the actual topic, Kanban and Scrum. Otherwise 5stars...
Jenn "JR"
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: biz-proj-mgmt
This free mini-book has great illustrations and is written in a very accessible, conversational style. It's like a powerpoint presentation with all the chit chat added in as text. You can download it from the authors' website -- it nicely illustrates the chief differences between scrum and kanban, and provides encouragement to use the tools and experiment.
Igor Đukić
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
“The only real failure is the failure to learn from failure. But hey, you can learn from that too.” :)
Nostradamnit
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent comparison of the two frameworks, followed by a in-depth look at how to implement Kanban.
Nikana
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Concisely straight to the point, a reasonable introduction to Kanban, a minimalist one to scrum, helpfully putting it into perspective.
Boyan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very short, but concise overview of both Kanban and Scrum. I like that the book is very direct and to the point. Experiment, until you find what works best.
Georg Lehner
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Start with this one, everything else is refinement.
Nathalie Karasek
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: _hardcopy, kanban, scrum, 2018
Great book! Narrative style, up to the point, a lot of stories and practical hands on advice!
Leandro Gonzales
Dec 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I do not recommend. Superficial and, for me, a waste of time.
Krzysztof
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring when you're trying to find your way in the maze of agile frameworks. Short and pragmatic.
John
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great little book that introduces Kanban ideas of those who are already committed to aspects of Scrum. If your team finds that it has too many uncompleted stories in your iterations, you should consider Kanban, which puts a limit on how many stories can be WIP at any one time. If the number of stories that are WIP goes below the limit, the team can put more members on those remaining tasks to finish them off. By this means, Kanban is self-regulating, depending on strict limits about ...more
Steve Whiting
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I rate Kniberg's "Scrum and XP from the trenches" book highly, so had no hesitation picking up this one.

Slightly surprised by the size of it when it arrived - it's more of a long pamphlet than a short book, clocking in at around 100 pages. However, like the other book, the brevity doesn't harm the authors' ability to get the point across. In fact this is basically two related books in one: firstly, a good summary of the similarities and differences between Scrum and Kanban, with references to a
heidi
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I think this was a useful comparison book about Kanban and scrum, but I was coming to it without much Kanban experience, so I wanted a writeup of the history of Kanban and the philosophy behind it.

The second part of the book, with the case study, was the most useful to me. That allowed me to see what the authors meant when they talked about limiting the number of items in a stage. A real-life example was just what I needed to grasp what was happening.

I also found the kanban theory helpful to me
Javier
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile, lean
For me it's a 3 and half star book. As all Henrik's books are easy to read but in this case there're references to deprecated elements (some the mandatory use of burndown charts in Scrum) and some, I think misuse of, "controversial" concepts like lead time and cycle time that are not set as differents and nowadays they are.

I think a second revision of this book can be created as happened with Scrum from the trenches and it would be a more valuable book. Anyway, it has a good presentation of
Suhky
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Often people in the world of technology businesses abuse the word agile. Scrum and Kanban was confusing term at work, until I read this book. I found this book defined Scrum and Kanban in a nutshell. The real testament to this book it that it helps me to identify how small changes and experimenting with product development can bring huge benefit and productivity within a technical team.

This book is all you need to get cracking with transformation of product team to release software 'early and
Curtis Jensen
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A quick and easy read with a fair amount of detail. Assumes that the reader already has agile and scrum knowledge. Most of the book focuses on a good comparison of Scrum and Kanban. The tail end of the book is a single case study of a project that transitioned from Scrum to Kanban. Overall, pretty good introduction.

Get some milk

Free online copy at:
Deniss Ojastu
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A concise and easy to read guide on some of the "hottest" Agile methods for software development these days. The book provides useful guidelines on how to improve the software development practices on a team/organisational level. I found the case study presented in the second part to be somewhat long-winded - and would prefer more different examples instead. Otherwise, recommended to anyone working in IT sector on middle-management level (and all other levels too).
Torben Rasmussen
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wanted
quick introduction to kanban and comparison to scrum that gives you some basic understanding of differences and also some hints to combine the two. Kniberg is good at explaining and in the second part of the book Mattias Skarin shares his experiences from the trenches with using kanban.
This is a very light read and not very detailed. It does have enough to get you introduced to kanban, especially if you are already familiar with scrum.
Available for free at infoq.com
Rob
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone that needs a short intro to Kanban
Shelves: 2012, business
A short and colloquial introduction to Kanban, and/but mostly by comparing it to Scrum. If you're considering switching your shop to "Agile" methods, and/or are dissatisfied with the more traditional (!?!?) Scrum: give this a read. It's short enough that you can finish it in an afternoon; you could even skip part one and get the real meat of it from the case study discussion. (Also: it could use another pass with a red pen by the editors and proofreaders...)
Johnny
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book offers a very quick overview on the differences and commonalities of Scrum and Kanban. Use it when you need to know the differences between those two methods or when you aren’t sure which method may be a better fit for you. To work with either one you will need additional material and much more time. However, for a first introduction you have all you need.
Doc
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, agile-lean
This is a simple and clear explanation of Kanban, and how it compares to and combines with Scrum. If you know something about Scrum, the comparison will help you understand how each provides benefits. If you don't know either, the description and explanation of Kanban will still provide value.

• The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Notes to a software team leader
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Scrumban: Essays on Kanban Systems for Lean Software Development
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • Agile Coaching
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Differences:

Scrum:
- Timeboxed iterations prescribed.

Kanban:
- Timeboxed iterations optional. Can have separate cadences for planning, release, and process improvement. Can be event - driven instead of timeboxed.”
3 likes