Start by marking “Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both” as Want to Read:
Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both

Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both

Scrum and Kanban are two flavours of Agile software development - two deceptively simple but surprisingly powerful approaches to software development. So how do they relate to each other? The purpose of this book is to clear up the fog, so you can figure out how Kanban and Scrum might be useful in your environment. Part I illustrates the similarities and differences betwee ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Lulu.com

To ask other readers questions about Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both

Start your review of Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
Andreas
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: computer-science
More than half of the book is empty due to an excessive amount of whitespace: Empty or half-empty pages, over-large chapter numbers, too many subchapters.
Half of the book is dedicated to a specialized practice situation which can't be transferred to different situations.
This is a very light touch of the subject, you'll find no deep dives or outstanding thoughts here.
But if you want a contrasting overview Scrum vs. Kanban, this is a good book.
Dzsosszika
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile-books
A great accessible book to learn and compare Kanban and Scrum. Recommended for those looking for a practical insight. Henrik’s ability to take difficult concepts and explain things simply is incredibly beneficial for those new to Scrum and Kanban. Also good for experienced practitioners so learn how to explain the concepts simply.
João
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great read. Fast-paced, maybe too much so in some parts -- it's good that the book is always on topic and straight to the point, but I felt some aspects lacked more context (history, reasons why, etc.). ...more
Kars
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was a bit confused about the difference between Kanban and Scrum. This book cleared up the confusion in no time at all, plus it helped me consider which parts of each process tool fit my own practice best.
Urszula
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because in a short piece of time it lets you learn the basics of using Scrum and Kanban for your needs. Although it's from 2009 it's still very useful and helped me to made up my mind about how I want to run my project. ...more
Toni SCRUMptious
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant (& very short) book about Kanban and Scrum.

The first half outlines Kanban and Scrum including their respective advantages and disadvantages.

Most exciting is that the second half of the book is a case study of setting up Kanban in an Operations department. Prior to being a ScrumMaster, I worked within an Operations department as a Service Desk Manager, I’ve been on the look-out for something along these lines and not found much specific, until now!

The writing style was to gather all
Matt
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: computers
This is a short book, and well worth the small time commitment. We use some mix of Scrum and Kanban at work, and have for years, though I never personally read much about the formal ideas, processes or theories behind each. This book was a good primer.

My favorite notion was the idea that each of these methods puts particular constraints around a process in order to influence outcomes. The constraints we use affect in large part the results that follow.

I enjoyed the first part of the book more t
Nikolay
Short overview of Scrum and Kanban frameworks and their comparison. Book also contains case study of real project that made significant improvement in efficiency after introduction of Kanban board in their processes.
Book should be very useful for those who just started or want to start the path of working in Scrum or Kanban way (or both) and need some direction and advises on how to start. Also I'd recommend this book to read for everyone who is too tightly follow one specific approach (Scrum or
Murray Cumming
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
This is a simple introduction to a simple idea (Kanban limits work in progress, forcing you to deal with bottlenecks, or at least recognize them). But it's a bit less to the point than the "Scrum and XP from the trenches" book.

The second half (by a different author) has a less concise, less confident, style, which slightly obscures the interesting stories that it tells. Also, don't be put off by the waffly second foreword.
Dejan Vukmirovic
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Henrik Kniberg's books, mainly the focus he has on concrete issues without much of "beat around the bush" talks. Generally, the style of his books is what I like and that allows quite fast paced reading. I stormed through this one in less than 2 days.

Additional moment in this book with story "from the trench" is quite valuable.

I think I read this book long time ago, looked to familiar :D.
Ioana
Jan 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Short, to the point - quick tips to help you gain confidence in your Scrum and Kanban choices. It's a very quick read, more white space than text in its 80 pages really, so I'd say come to this book once you have read the Agile manifesto and the Scrum handbook - it's more about the tweaks, teaching you how to pinpoint when you have a problem and when is the time to experiment, more than the theoretical background.

TL;DR: Continuously improve, experiment, find what works for you.
Lars Denkewitz
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very nice writing style, intuitive and easy to read.
Gives a good introduction of what the title is promises without in a very practical way.
The last chapter is a little bit too detailed in how they ran their practical example and I lost track af the actual topic, Kanban and Scrum. Otherwise 5stars...
Jenn "JR"
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: biz-proj-mgmt
This free mini-book has great illustrations and is written in a very accessible, conversational style. It's like a powerpoint presentation with all the chit chat added in as text. You can download it from the authors' website -- it nicely illustrates the chief differences between scrum and kanban, and provides encouragement to use the tools and experiment. ...more
Tu
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programing
Mini book but insightful. Give you enough insights for working with Scrum & Kanban.
The last part is a real use-case story, but I don't learn much from it than the first part, introduction about Scrum & Kanban.
Krzysztof
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring when you're trying to find your way in the maze of agile frameworks. Short and pragmatic. ...more
Georg Lehner
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Start with this one, everything else is refinement.
Nostradamnit
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent comparison of the two frameworks, followed by a in-depth look at how to implement Kanban.
Boyan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very short, but concise overview of both Kanban and Scrum. I like that the book is very direct and to the point. Experiment, until you find what works best.
Nathalie Karasek
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Narrative style, up to the point, a lot of stories and practical hands on advice!
Nikana
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Concisely straight to the point, a reasonable introduction to Kanban, a minimalist one to scrum, helpfully putting it into perspective.
Leandro Gonzales
Dec 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I do not recommend. Superficial and, for me, a waste of time.
Igor Đukić
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
“The only real failure is the failure to learn from failure. But hey, you can learn from that too.” :)
Dániel Kraft
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
A simple guide, if you want to understand the basics kanban (and a bit of scrum).
John
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great little book that introduces Kanban ideas of those who are already committed to aspects of Scrum. If your team finds that it has too many uncompleted stories in your iterations, you should consider Kanban, which puts a limit on how many stories can be WIP at any one time. If the number of stories that are WIP goes below the limit, the team can put more members on those remaining tasks to finish them off. By this means, Kanban is self-regulating, depending on strict limits about th ...more
heidi
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I think this was a useful comparison book about Kanban and scrum, but I was coming to it without much Kanban experience, so I wanted a writeup of the history of Kanban and the philosophy behind it.

The second part of the book, with the case study, was the most useful to me. That allowed me to see what the authors meant when they talked about limiting the number of items in a stage. A real-life example was just what I needed to grasp what was happening.

I also found the kanban theory helpful to me
Steve Whiting
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I rate Kniberg's "Scrum and XP from the trenches" book highly, so had no hesitation picking up this one.

Slightly surprised by the size of it when it arrived - it's more of a long pamphlet than a short book, clocking in at around 100 pages. However, like the other book, the brevity doesn't harm the authors' ability to get the point across. In fact this is basically two related books in one: firstly, a good summary of the similarities and differences between Scrum and Kanban, with references to a
Javier
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile, lean
For me it's a 3 and half star book. As all Henrik's books are easy to read but in this case there're references to deprecated elements (some the mandatory use of burndown charts in Scrum) and some, I think misuse of, "controversial" concepts like lead time and cycle time that are not set as differents and nowadays they are.

I think a second revision of this book can be created as happened with Scrum from the trenches and it would be a more valuable book. Anyway, it has a good presentation of sim
Suhky
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Often people in the world of technology businesses abuse the word agile. Scrum and Kanban was confusing term at work, until I read this book. I found this book defined Scrum and Kanban in a nutshell. The real testament to this book it that it helps me to identify how small changes and experimenting with product development can bring huge benefit and productivity within a technical team.

This book is all you need to get cracking with transformation of product team to release software 'early and o
Curtis Jensen
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A quick and easy read with a fair amount of detail. Assumes that the reader already has agile and scrum knowledge. Most of the book focuses on a good comparison of Scrum and Kanban. The tail end of the book is a single case study of a project that transitioned from Scrum to Kanban. Overall, pretty good introduction.

Get some milk

Free online copy at:
Rob
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone that needs a short intro to Kanban
Shelves: 2012, business
A short and colloquial introduction to Kanban, and/but mostly by comparing it to Scrum. If you're considering switching your shop to "Agile" methods, and/or are dissatisfied with the more traditional (!?!?) Scrum: give this a read. It's short enough that you can finish it in an afternoon; you could even skip part one and get the real meat of it from the case study discussion. (Also: it could use another pass with a red pen by the editors and proofreaders...) ...more

• The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Notes to a software team leader
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • Scrumban: Essays on Kanban Systems for Lean Software Development
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Agile Coaching

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »