Start by marking “Taggerung (Redwall, #14)” as Want to Read:
Taggerung (Redwall, #14)

Taggerung

(Redwall #14)

Years ago, the vermin clan of Sawney Rath kidnapped one of Redwall's own-a baby otter, destined to become their "Taggerung," a warrior hero of ancient legend. But as young Tagg grows, he rebels against his destiny. The young otter journeys in search of his birthplace, a member of Sawney's clan always near, out to destroy the deserter. With the feisty mouse Nimbalo, Tagg fe ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 438 pages
Published September 15th 2003 by Firebird (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Taggerung, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taggerung

Leila
I have always loved the Redwall series of books by Brian Jacques who uses animals for his tales and I bought every one the minute they came into the shops. 'Taggarund' is my favourite Why? It is different to the rest of the books and in my personal opinion a better read. The books are written primarily for young teen agers upwards and are always based on the good versus evil theme where good always wins out in the end but often at some cost. Shrews, weasels, rats, stoats and foxes tend to be alw ...more
Riley Redgate
oddly, i think this book about an otter adopted by evil ferrets in infancy is responsible for my lifelong obsession with antiheroes
Joseph Leskey
This book was an especially enjoyable installment in the series, due to its noncomformity to the customary plots of Redwall. It was very useful to have at my veritable disposal whilst I battle the flippin' flu, wot?
 Rogue
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: action/adventure fans
Shelves: want, reviews, favorites
I love all the redwall books, but I think this is my favorite. You can't help but love the otters!
Adams321
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Like "Outcast of Redwall" this book has a lot of potential but fails to deliver. A baby otter, Taggerung, is kidnapped and raised by a gang of murderous vermin thieves. Then he grows up and is inherently good simply because he is an otter, and he refuses to participate in his gang's evil doings. He deserts the gang and embarks on a quest to find his true identity.

I was hoping that the theme of morality would be explored, and Taggerung would mimic the behavior of his gang because that is what he
Lauren
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: otter fans
Oh, Redwall: my first fandom love. My first fanfictions were of this book. As such, it holds a special place in my heart. I simply must re-read it soon. I'll post a more in-depth review afterwards.

Of the entire series, The Taggerung was my favorite. Why? Well, I suppose it's because I loved the character of the Taggerung. :) The idea of the good guy being raised by the bad guys (and getting some wicked-awesome facial tattoos) was a very original and appealing thought to my pre-teen self (still
Kathy
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this 14th Redwall adventure, a baby otter is stolen from Redwall Abbey by the evil clan of vermin Juskarath to raise as their fearsome warrior champion, called "Taggerung". Meanwhile, his loss is mourned at Redwall but life goes on with much feasting, drollery and a series of riddles that will ultimately lead to a new Abbess of Redwall. But despite learning to become a fearsome warrior like they want, Taggerung rebels against their expectations of savagery and strikes out on his own. He makes ...more
Jacqueline
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Redwall book!
Steve
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-good-crap
I was quite looking forward to this book, expecting a slight animal version of a lesser Gemmell warrior yarn - possibly with cute manly ferrets carrying swords to battle *laughing*. It wasn't. It was nowhere near Gemmell standards of either writing, spinning a damn gripping adventure, or more importantly; 'gripping characters of deep refinement'.

So, what was it? It was a yarn about little ferrets, badgers, and hedgehogs *pmsl* (stop laughing! Sooo not funny!). It wasn't badly written, though it
Emily Collins
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uk-authors
By far, Taggerung is my favorite of the Redwall series. It's such a classic plot - protagonist grows up believing he's an antagonist - but it's so artfully performed. Further proof that the redwallers have a natural instinct of what's good and what's evil (and that the ferrets and rats are bred into a society of antagonistic people).
Some of my love of this book stems from the fact that I have always had a special place in my heart for the otters of redwall, and Bragoon was just especially badas
Lora Rearden
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favorite Redwall books. I dont know why, but for some reason I just keep reading it again..and again...and again...and again......
I love the Redwall books in general because of the colourful descriptions, songs, battles, feasts, journeys, and the way Brian Jacques balances the darkness and the light so skillfully. "Taggerung" employs all of these strengths into a real masterpiece of a novel.
Matthew McAndrew
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Taggerung was always mine and a friend's favorite. It's among the most unique installments in the series, following a conflicted otter character as he learns about good and evil from different perspectives. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and quickly connected with the protagonist, which is always a major plus.
Nunya
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brian Jacques' writing peaked here I think. Taggerung is everything you could possibly want: heartbreaking, hilarious, adventuriffic. It has amazing characters, a good plot, and if the parts with the evil stoat hordes get a little long every once in a while, in this book you barely notice.

5 stars 10/10 would read again pick it up at your local library
Kyrah Knell
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written... One of the best! Exciting and filled to the brim with danger, action, and our beloved author's laugh-out-loud humor!
Madhav Nallani
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books, though I don't usually care for animal protagonists. This is the book that introduced Brian Jacques to me, and is also why I am a fan of his writing.
Gabrielle
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book from the series of Redwall(aren't they all?).
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Review originally published on my blog, Nine Pages .

I was introduced to the world of Redwall long ago and grew up with my mouth watering for candied chestnuts and deeper ‘n ever pie and strawberry cordial. Brian Jacques (RIP) has a flare for description that I have always admired and continue to admire. No one writes a feast like Jacques, and he paints such beautiful pictures of the country in which his novels take place, pausing with his creatures beside a river to describe the flora and fauna
Jonathan
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Although normally a big fan of Redwall, I found this addition to the canon disappointing. It's not a bad book, I just felt it could have been a lot better than it was.

There are of course, some good things about it. Brian Jacques is a good writer so of course it's well written with lots of nice descriptions. However, I felt this was outweighed by the book's failings.

The worse failing is with the main character. Tagg (short for Taggerung) has, apart from his incredible fighting skills, no persona
Phu Nguyen
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
Adrienne
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
As always the review is also available on my blog The Shameful Narcissist Speaks.

Taggerung varies from typical Redwall fare as the meat of the story doesn't take place at the Abbey, but rather concerns the vermin clan that kidnapped the titular character near the beginning as a babe. The point of view; however, does switch back and forth between the happenings at the Redwall and the more exciting adventures of Deyna as he tries to discover who he is and where he truly comes from as it's decidedl
Jeremy Michael Gallen
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this tale of Redwall, Sawney Rath the ferret awaits the coming of the book’s titular destined warrior, the Taggerung, believed to bring greatness to the vermin, with his vulpine seer Grissoul foreseeing his coming. However, the prophesized one proves to be an otter, who is eventually given the name Deyna, and doubts his destiny as he ages. The story begins proper, akin to its predecessors, with one of the Redwall Recorders, in this case the Assistant one, Sister Rosabel the squirrel, commenti ...more
Josiah
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It turns out that denizens of Redwall Abbey aren't the only creatures who have traditions as to how they bestow leadership upon a deserving member of each successive generation. Changing the guard of leadership is never easy and always includes risks, and for a treacherous gang of marauders like the clan of Sawney Rath the murderous ferret, the process of selecting a new leader usually involves some backstabbing and bloodshed.

The Taggerung, as the clan's leader is always called, most often asce
Eric Starr
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love the Redwall books, but none of them have been able to keep up my imagination and interest quite like this one. I could not put it down, the moment I tried I would come back to it for "One more chapter", then another, then another. Rinse and repeat.
The plot was engaging and had some great twists, the hero having plenty of growth to go through and enough emotion to make you really care for the characters.
From action to suspense to heart-felt moments and overall Redwall feel, its a masterp
Eric Gallagher
Loved the series when I was growing up. This is one of the few I missed. Probably would have enjoyed it more if I was not reading with adult eyes.
A typical Redwall story, with a bit of a nature Vs nurture theme going on. The usual journey, quest, puzzle, battle and siege along with the filler or songs and banquets you usually encounter in the series.
Has aged well and would still recommend these books to young readers.
Tegbir P
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fatasy
This is an amazing adventure fit to be part of the Redwall series. As he is abducted from his home by a club of thieves, young Tagg strives to find his family back in Redwall and be welcomed by them. But first, he must get past the thieves in his way and find where he was born. This is real page turner!
Marlene
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stolen as a kit by the Juska clan; Tag is raised to be the fiercest warrior around. The very name of Taggerung strikes fear into most beasts. But Tag soon discovers there is something different about him and attempts to leave his Juska clan. Caught in a race to see who can catch who first, Tag discovers who he really is and must protect the family he never knew.
Kayla
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
After a while, all these Redwall books start to feel alike. Sure, this one has a fairly different premise (instead of a kidnapping or a siege, we have a return... after a kidnapping)- but the plot is still overused. One storyline follows someone traveling through Mossflower, while at the Abbey they must solve a riddle. The "double" ending was also very tacked on and forced.
Robert Brown
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great work in the Redwall series. The only complaint I have is that more often than not, in the Redwall books nature overrides nurture. This is very rampant in this book. Yes, some characters in the series as a whole fight against it successfully, sometimes literally in their dying moment, but most seem to have their destinies set before them for what they are born as.
Anne Denning
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my second favorite of the Redwall Series. This book showed a completely new way to view people. Just because you are raised a certain way, does not mean that you have to carry that with you. I love this series for all the real world lessons being taught through the animal world.
Abigail Anklam
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adore the entire Redwall series. It's impossible to choose a favorite, with so many amazing characters and adventures calling for my attention, but if I had to list a top 5, Taggerung would be in it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Who do you love the most? 4 5 Feb 20, 2019 03:55PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • The Prophecy (Animorphs, #34)
  • Redwall The Graphic Novel
  • Perloo The Bold
  • The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)
  • The Sands of Time
  • The Warlords of Nin (The Dragon King, #2)
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh

Redwall (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)
“Don't be ashamed to weep; 'tis right to grieve. Tears are only water, and flowers, trees, and fruit cannot grow without water. But there must be sunlight also. A wounded heart will heal in time, and when it does, the memory and love of our lost ones is sealed inside to comfort us.” 2100 likes
“Step aside? I step aside for nobeast, whether it be a hallowed hedgehog, an officious otter, a seasoned squirrel, a mutterin' mole or a befuddled badger!” 42 likes