Start by marking “Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love” as Want to Read:
Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love

Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love

(A Mike Cohn Signature Book)

The First Guide to Scrum-Based Agile Product Management In Agile Product Management with Scrum, leading Scrum consultant Roman Pichler uses real-world examples to demonstrate how product owners can create successful products with Scrum. He describes a broad range of agile product management practices, including making agile product discovery work, taking advantage of ...more
Paperback, Addison-Wesley Signature, 133 pages
Published March 26th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Agile Product Management with Scrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile Product Management with Scrum

Start your review of Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
Ben Love
Dec 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is a disaster. It has nothing related to Product Management but instead talks almost exclusively of a new role called Product Owner.
Reading above this books obvious crowbarring of yet another business role into the purity of Agile (a common corporate failing nowadays), it’s a poor attempt at trying to define a single product-focussed combination of Team Lead & Project Manager. If my years in business have taught me anything; finding such a superhuman that combines several competing
Eduardo Ferro
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of the few books devoted to the role of Product Owner I've seen ...

The book focuses on understanding the role of product owner, create the product vision, working with the backlog, releases planning, and how to introduce the product owner role in a company.

The best part, in my humble opinion, are the tips and trick that help on the creative process and decision-making, for the vision creation and the growing of the backlog.
Mark
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even after carefully studying the Product Owner role from many angles, this book taught me a lot about this role. For example, among many other things, Roman Pichler did a great job describing many relationships, and of course, focused on the many relationships that the Product Owner has, both with the development teams, the rest of the organization (management, departments, etc.) and, the customers. To accomplish this, Roman describes the organizational contexts so that a Product Owner can ...more
Hannah
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
As a new Product Owner transitioning into the role, this book was recommended to me as an intro to PO in Agile. I read it when I first started out, and absorbed probably about 15-20% of the content. A lot of it is quite high-level and assumes familiarity with Agile development and product management. I like that the book focuses on the PO role pretty much exclusively, but I'm in the process of re-reading it to see if there are more insights that I can apply to my role, now that I've been working ...more
Sopha Nem
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are a new product owner or would like to quickly get an idea what product owner role is all about - this is the book for you. This also means that if you already know a lot about agile/scrum and product ownership, this might be too basic for you.

For me, this book is a good and quick refresher. Recommended!
Kresimir Mudrovcic
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Nice overview of Agile Product Management, maybe a bit too shallow, high level and simplistic. It is a really good source of information for someone who is interested in Agile Product Management. I expected a bit more in-depth overview.
Ravi Singh
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is meant for product owners who are new into this field. The book will explain various aspects of the product owner role without going to deep into various techniques. Readers should have knowledge of scrum before reading this book to get the most out of it.
I would only recommend this book to people who are new to the role of product owner and to those who want to know how this role should be filled in.
Pola
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile
I was impressed how relevant this book was. I would recommend it to every starting Product Owner and every Scrum Master that needs inspiration to coach an inexperienced PO.

Balance between diving deep into recommended solutions and keeping the book fast lean read was perfect for me.

A good surprise and a solid recommendation.
Steve Mayberry
Dec 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Quality of writing - one star
Quality of content - 2.5 stars
Quality of shortness, bringing me one book closer to my 2017 reading goal - five stars
Marcin
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really good guide to the role of Product Owner and approach to project management in Scrum.
Mihai Rosca
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: have-at-work
I must say, there's really not that much information out there when it comes to Agile Product Management as I initially expected. I mean, there is some, but I quickly ruled out most of what I found anyway on reasons related more to authors advertising their own products more than really putting valuable info out there.

The book however is not one of those. I mean, it advertises the author but by proving what he actually knows. Although there's a whole lot that I suspect could be said about
Hunter Hart
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is the latest and greatest intro to the role of the “Product
owner” as the product manager is called in the most common of agile
methods, Scrum. Written by one of the leading Scrum consultants out
there this book gives you a good sense of what the product owner role is
all about and all the tools you need to do the role. I use 'KANBAN' on all of my collabration software from Asana and Trello. Strongly recommend this improve user experience, working with programmers, new users and
Jürgen Mohr
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
It is a book worth reading, even if you are already working as a Product Owner

Roman starts his book describing the characteristics of a Product Owner, the Product Owner interactions with the team, ScrumMaster and stakeholders, writes some words about scaling the role in large project environments, and concludes the first chapter noting common mistakes taken when staffing the Product Owner role. Next he writes in detail about the first and essential task a Product Owner has to do - creating the
Andrew Balyk
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A great book whether you are just starting out or have years of experience in POs role. It gives tips and describes the activities the role performs. However, it doesn't go into detail about certain things.

It provides solid advice to Product Managers, or anybody else, who are transitioning to the Product Owner role and the difference they can expect to see using Scrum. I view it as the supplemental reference because it doesn't sufficiently cover all processes.
Jayakrishnan S
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Though author has done a fabulous job detailing the various facets of product management in an agile context, he's only scratched the surface of many of the underlying concepts. As someone who already works in a Scrum environment, I was expecting a more comprehensive coverage on applying agile techniques using scrum. That said, if you are somone transitioning into scrum from old product management practices such as waterfall, you will find this book useful.
Wilson Gov
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this book is great however it refers to many other books such as User stories applied and Agile estimating and planning by Mike Cohn, it doesn’t dive into much detail in any topic but provides pointers, if you buy this book by its own you might not get much value but still is a short and good book.
Yannis
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is focused to the Product Owner role in a Scrum framework. It can act as a survival guide for Product Owners in their first steps and flag some of the most common pitfalls. Given it can be read in a couple of hours, I highly recommend it to everyone who is still uncomfortably with their new role.
Denisse Margarita
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for beginner POs

Good for beginner POs to get a big picture of what the role is about. It gives tips and describes the activities the role performs. However, it doesn't go into detail about certain things that I wanted to know more about, like how to create a product backlog, and what grooming the backlog means.
Siddhartha
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The title sets a rather high benchmark which the book fails to achieve. The book is specifically targeted towards Product Owners (that new role in Agile, which everyone aspires to be) and does a good job at delineating that aspect only. Liked the common pitfalls at the end of each chapter. It's a good read to shape you to take on the role.
George Velez
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that doesn't just teach how to execute the Product Owner role efficiently, ensuring products being created are actually loved by the customer and users, but it also explains what's required to get good at it, how to go about it and what an ideal product owner candidate looks like. And the content can be easily understood by just about anyone.
Dexter Zhuang
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
While the high-level frameworks and processes are nothing new, what I loved were the tips and tricks to help facilitate a smoother, faster, less stressful agile process. Pertinent industry examples also helped elucidate concepts.
Sean Henry
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great support text for new and experienced Product Owners

Written in an easy to follow style. The author breaks down all the artifacts and agile processes to follow as well as how to avoid common mistakes and how to learn and grow. Highly recommended.
Rosalia Adisti
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a new agile coach who did not came from a product management background, this is a short but very insightful book about the role of product owner. After reading this book, I became aware of the role that extends beyond scrum guide - without being too comprehensive.
Jaroslav Urban
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, agile
The title is misleading, it is all about to become the product owner in a sense of SCRUM.
The content is mostly valuable with some sauce around that you need to read as well.
Most valuable is for managers who are introduce to SCRUM and their new role of product owners.
Nikolay
In general, this book provides good brief overview of main product ownership techniques. I gave 3 stars because most of information from this book is not new for me and some of descriptions looked superficially.
Victoria Magee
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a great high level overview of the Product Owner role. I was looking for something more substantial. In addition it mostly describes Product Owner on new projects and products, and doesn’t spend enough time on situations with inherited or ‘old’ products.
Jack Wonton
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
well, this book doesn't open my eyes. but it still a good read, maybe for a newbies or juniors.
btw I mentioned many similar thoughts in Craft product management blog (https://craft.io/blog.html). Maybe Roman inspired that guys.. ;)
Kristjan
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It is condenced book and one might expect that therefore full of gems. Unfortunately it is still pretty much on theory level and very little practical substance. Good to read as one of ther first books on Scrum.

Kiran Pathakota
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Good intro to Agile product management. For me, it was the book that started learning about Agile.
Sneheel Biswal
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. For best experience, manage a few agile projects before diving in.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • Agile Coaching
  • Software in 30 Days: How Agile Managers Beat the Odds, Delight Their Customers, And Leave Competitors In the Dust
  • UX for Lean Startups

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Mike Cohn Signature Book (9 books)
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • More Agile Testing: Learning Journeys for the Whole Team
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Agile Game Development with Scrum