Start by marking “Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls

(Y: The Last Man #7)

The saga of Yorick Brown, the last man on Earth, continues in PAPER DOLLS, writer Brian K. Vaughan and artist Pia Guerra's award-winning VERTIGO series. In addition to catching up on the adventures of Yorick's monkey Ampersand (whose body holds the key to stopping the male-killing plague) and telling the origin of Agent 355, PAPER DOLLS chronicles Yorick and 355's search ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y

Start your review of Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
Matthew
The Last Man series continues to entertain! I don’t really think my review of this one will differ much from my previous reviews because I feel pretty much the same. So, pardon any repetition!

If you are a post-apocalyptic fan, this series is right up your alley. I just checked back through my other reviews of this series, and while, for me, there have been a couple of issues that were not quite as strong along the way, it has generally been a win!

I continue to enjoy the artwork, and, as I like
Bradley
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Australia and in deep paper this time.

Damn reporters. Who knew that tabloids could be so much like skin rags?

Oh, wait, that would be everyone. Never mind!

The world-building in this one is pretty sweet, even if we don't get to stay too long in the present. 355's past gets a lot more page time, though, and I can't say I'm disappointed. :)

Brandon
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix, fiction, 2011, vertigo
Yorick finally makes it to Australia! While Dr. Mann and 355 agree to let Yorick take a look for his long lost girlfriend Beth, they encounter more trouble than expected.

This volume seemed more like a something Vaughn used to tie up loose ends. It felt as if almost nothing progressed here. We're met with two back stories that while interesting, failed to really alter the story in any way. That being said, it's not really all that bad, just not as great as the series has been.

Books 6 and 7
Stepheny
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Is it just me or are these books freaking awesome?!

So much happens!! I love the story line. It just takes twists and turns that I wasn't expecting, yet you somewhat do expect. It's just incredible!

I am ready to kill this one bitch in here though! (view spoiler) How dare you be mean to that little monkey!! Poor little Ampersand! I just want to rescue the little monkey! And see that bitch get what is coming to her!!

Also, I love the artwork. If you aren't reading these
Shivesh
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The lack of a solid story arc in this volume makes it a slow slog. However, it is apparent that some of the loose ends and other issues that Vaughan left hanging are slowly being pulled together for the stretch run into the conclusion of the series. This gets two stars for having "middle volume" syndrome. It gets boring at times but still has promise.

It is great to be able to read the entire series after it has concluded. This is an addictive story, because Vaughan succeeds in setting up an
Ryan Mishap
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is getting to be like watching Lost or some action movie--intriguing set up, but as it is drawn out you start noticing where sex scenes and weirdness try to cover up the fact that the story is meandering, like maybe the author don't know quite where he be going. Or, maybe I'm wrong and it is meant to be "sexy" or something.

Anyway, I know food is short and all, but hunger doesn't turn every woman into a Barbie Doll with an impossibly thin waist, big boobs, and the like. I don't think it is
Chafic (Rello)
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me,
Y ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.
He was looking kind of dumb, with a finger and a thumb,
and a monkey sitting on his forehead.

Well, the plot's still running and it ain't gonna stoppin'
The fed's gonna know that a lone agent is nothing.
So much to do, so much to see,
So what's wrong with taking the detour?
You'll never know if you don't go (down under)
You'' never find your fiancee Beth,

Hey know, it's a Yorick!
He's the last man! Go play!!
ALL THESE
Shannon Appelcline
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Unfortunately, not a lot seems to happen in this volume. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but you could probably skip right past it and barely notice.

Paper Dolls (#37-39). Yorick stops in Australia; hi-jinx ensue. I guess it's nice to see a story about the possibility of Yorick being outed, but there's overall not a lot of bite to this story, other than the nice opportunity to continue Beth's story [6/10].

The Hour of our Death (#40). This one-off about Beth II actually has some depth to it,
Licha
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
4 stars. This one brought tears to my eyes twice. I hope it continues on its upward streak. The past volumes had begun to get a bit tedious and one-note.

In this volume:

--The group makes a short detour to Australia before heading to Japan. Yorick hopes he can find Beth#1 before they head out to Japan in search of Ampersand. While in Australia, Yorick encounters a journalist who's on a mission to find proof of men-sightings. This could spell disaster for Yorick if the rest of the world becomes
Amy
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a lot actually happens in this volume, and yet we still get a lot of information on the backstories of 355 and Ampersand. As much as I hate the stupid monkey, I appreciated learning his origins. It was also nice to get a quick check-in with California Beth and Hero.

The reference to Hillary being president someday though... that was basically just a knife to the gut and a slow twist as the knife was pulled, and it was just one throwaway page. Ugh. :(
Bhanuj
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read-comics
Finally a full frontal of Yorrick Junior. ;) 5 stars and 5 cheers for the last dick on earth. Though in yorrick's defence it was a cold night and he had a gun to his head. Fear and cold shrinks the pecker.
Nadine
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not as good as previous volumes, but the set up for coming volumes has be excited!
Anna
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
ooh 355 backstory! plus the Swiss guards and the Pope-hunting nun. <33
Patrick Mede
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Paper Dolls

It started amazingly with those When Harry Met Sally style interviews. And it really felt like it was trying to say something profound about the media and the trashiness that this new world would carry over from the old one, but the idea and setup turned out be a lot more compelling than the payoff. All the possibilites and they just kinda cowered down and called it a day quick...

...then the big random heavy plot twist and reintroduction of the Israeli psycho...so unappreciated.

The
Hans
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This series frustrates me because I do enjoy it, but I want more. The author seriously only scratches the surface of the possibilities of how deep this series could go. So he brushes lightly over all the "gender" issues of what a female dominated world would look like.

In this one there is light brushing of the neo-drug trafficking of heroin as pain sedative both for physical pain as well as an existential emotional pain. Does this make drug-trafficking immoral? or are they saviors providing a
Maria Kramer
Yorick and friends finally get to Australia. Is their journey over? Not by a long shot.
Lena
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Didn't really further the story along because it was mostly backstory, but still really cool
Nashid
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Updates on key characters, higher stakes, the beginning of a chase, the same dumb, insufferable asshole.......
Erin
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I did enjoy this volume more than the last one. One of the problems I had in the last volume, was addressed in this one which was nice to see people not letting his homophobic attitude just stink up the air.

We also got background on 355 and that was beautiful to see. I loved getting that insight on how she became who she is.

And that letter Yorick wrote was really sweet. I'm glad Vaughan showed a side of him that is never shown.
Mateen Mahboubi
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not much happens here but I enjoyed this much more than volume 6 which almost turned me off of continuing the series. As we approach the end, there are loose ends to tie off and a bit more character to develop which was fine by me. A quick read.
Kate
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The search for Ampersand is on and Yorrick opens this volume with desperately trying to get some time to look for Beth. They are in Australia after all. We get some of 355's backstory and we even get back to Hero and her revisiting a character from another volume. That story was probably my favourite.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
So happy to see Ampersand again and find out a little of 355's past.
Christine
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
And here I went again, thinking this book was going to finish without gratuitous female nudity, but then, alas, two pages from the end, a ninja is doing yoga naked. Wouldn't a ninja want to be clothed and prepared at all times in case of attack? Does the author assume their work is not good enough to sustain a male audience without adding this in? For a book about women surviving the apocalypse, there's quite a lot of tasteless nudity. Although for the sake of fairness there was frontal male ...more
Robert
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hoopla
This made for some quality in-flight entertainment today, though I hesitate to think what the other passengers in my row made of Yorick’s full-frontal moment...
Liz B
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oooh, this was a good one. So much backstory, and really good backstory for 355.

Also, omg male nudity. Memorable for that if nothing else.

And also quite a few loose ends to be tied up in the next 3 volumes!

I do have a sinking suspicion that the final reveal is going to be a huge letdown. Ah well! Onward!!
Darth
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay.

Vaughan is very good at making you care about his characters. Also, bringing back characters you never though you'd see again. And subtle word play.

For personal reasons, I'm a little bummed Dr. Mann revealed not only is she Japanese, she's...bum bum baaa...half-Japanese and that this is, like, a thing to white people. Oh how I wish I could launch into a diatribe about the long list of creepy experiences I've had from being cursed with Japanese blood. But now it makes sense why one creepy
P. Kirby
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In which we learn that Ampersand is an escape artist like his master. Better really.

And Yorick's junk becomes front page news, much to his chagrin. "I was like, preternaturally flaccid."

Yorick, 355 and Dr. Mann make a stop in Sidney, Australian, still destined for Japan to rescue Ampersand. There Yorick makes an attempt to find his fiancee, Beth. He doesn't find Beth, but he does manage to get himself forced at gunpoint to take nude photos, by a journalist. Meanwhile Rose, formerly a member of
John Wiswell
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comics readers, post-apocalyptic readers
Thank goodness, Y: The Last Man feels earnest again. The drama, emotion between characters, and even the humor return to top notch (though there is one joke that will challenge your suspension of disbelief; think "theme restaurants") in two really strong stories. The first story takes the crew to Australia, along a mildly absurd conflict a tabloid reporter out to exploit rumors of a last man on earth. The second, more poignant story is Hero visiting Beth's church. For whatever reason, Beth is ...more
Jelinas
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Another of the weaker volumes in the series, but this one at least moves the story along a bit.

In this volume, Yorick & Friends stop to refuel in Australia before continuing on to Japan in search of Ampersand. This allows Yorick the opportunity to search for his fiancee, Beth Deville, who was in Australia when he last communicated with her.

We also learn a little more about Agent 355's history, which isn't as compelling as it could be, in my opinion. It's a pretty standard story of childhood
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
  • DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire
  • Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 11: Fear the Hunters
  • Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (Maus, #2)
  • Preacher, Volume 4: Ancient History
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 4: Endangered Species
  • Fables, Vol. 9: Sons of Empire
  • Safe Area Goražde: The War in Eastern Bosnia, 1992-1995
  • Keys to the Kingdom (Locke & Key, #4)
  • Maus: Un survivant raconte, tome 1: Mon père saigne l'histoire (Maus #1)
  • American Splendor: The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 10: One More Time
  • Head Games (Locke & Key, #2)
  • Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return (Persepolis, #2)
  • Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands
  • Chew, Vol. 2: International Flavor
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Y: The Last Man (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)
“Your writing blows, by the by. You split more infinitives than Gene Roddenberry.” 2 likes