Start by marking “Maskerade (Discworld, #18; Witches #5)” as Want to Read:
Maskerade (Discworld, #18; Witches #5)

Maskerade (Discworld #18)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  43,071 Ratings  ·  1,033 Reviews
Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg, the Discworld's greatest witches, are back for an innocent night at the opera. Naturally there's going to be trouble, but at the same time there'll be a good evening's entertainment with murders that you can really hum to.
Published 1995 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Maskerade, please sign up.
Szava There are references to other previous books, but it can be understood without reading those first

Melki
Granny looked out at the dull gray sky and the dying leaves and felt, amazingly enough, her sap rising. A day ago the future had looked aching and desolate, and now it looked full of surprises and terror and bad things happening to people...
If she had anything to do with it, anyway.

Agnes Nitt and her alter ego, Perdita X. Dream, have joined the opera. Agnes has a remarkable singing voice (she can even sing harmony with...herself...), but unfortunately, she is a "traditionally built woman." So, s
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I always love Pratchett's witches books and this one was as usual laugh out loud funny. Granny Weatherwax is a wonderful character and then Death made several cameo appearances too which is always good. Pratchett was a master of parody and some of his allusions to opera and to musicals were brilliant.
I think the Discworld will always remain one of my most favourite series and my number one "go to" books when I want to read something light, well written, smart and funny.
Lyn
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The Phantom of the Opera on the Discworld.

All of Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books are good but having an adventure with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Og makes it all the better.

Here we find Lancre’s two most famous witches traveling to Ankh-Morpork to find Agnes Nitt who has taken up in the chorus of the Ankh-Morpork Opera house. And of course they happen upon a Scooby-Doolicious murder mystery surrounding the legend of the opera ghost.

As in all of the Discworld books, Pratchett tells the fu
Ashley
The last time we saw the Witches, they were ushering off their third member into the perils of marriage, and to a King, no less. Anyway, Magrat's gone now, and things are going funny without a third to balance things out. Nanny Ogg in particular is worried about Granny Weatherwax, who is terrifying under the best of circumstances. They take a trip to Ankh-Morpork after Granny learns that Nanny wrote a book that is a bestseller, but has gotten no royalties from the swindling publisher. And hey, w ...more
BrokenTune
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Right! Let’s do some good!’ she said, to the universe at large.

Need I say anything more about the Granny Weatherwax, the speaker of this line? She is still one of the best characters in fiction. In Maskerade, Granny and Nanny are faced with the difficulty of being a coven of only two witches. They need a third. Because, as we know, two witches is not a coven, it's an argument. There has to be a third to settle the argument - or act as a buffer.

Unfortunately, Agnes, the hopeful addition to Granny
Melindam
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" '... anyway, you said you were at your wits' end with thinking what you'd do with the money.'
'Yes, but I'd have quite liked to have been at my wits' end on a big comfy chase longyou somewhere with lots of big, strong men buyin' me chocolates and pressin' their favors on me.'
'Money don't buy happiness, Gytha.'
'i only wanted to rent it for a few weeks.' "

" 'Well, you are a witch!!! Can't you do that thing with the cards and glasses?'
'Well, yes ... we could have a poker game, ' said Nanny. 'Good
YouKneeK
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maskerade is the fifth book in the Witches subseries of Discworld. I usually enjoy the Witches books a little more than the others. I didn’t think this one was as uproariously funny as Wyrd Sisters or Witches Abroad, but I did enjoy it.

The story centers on some goings-on at an opera house. The opera house has always had a mysterious ghost with certain demands, but lately this ghost seems to have gone off the deep end. It's murdering people and leaving crazy notes with lots of exclamation points.
Jeraviz
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Perdóneme Señor Pratchett porque al empezar el libro pensaba que no me iba a gustar mucho. La serie de las brujas no es mi favorita y una historia ambientada en el mundo de la ópera no era lo que me llamaba más la atención.
Pero lo que he descubierto ha sido una de las mejores novelas del Mundodisco. Una parodia del teatro y la ópera con acción constante, gente entrando y saliendo entre bambalinas, decenas de personajes, misterios que resolver y un simio tocando el órgano.
Y todo perfectamente hi
MisterFweem
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The musical "Phantom of the Opera" used to drive me crazy. All that foppish flopping around with Christine being the sad weepy and yet easily manipulated girl who would run off and do whatever the creep with the dinnerware stuck to his face told him. I always figured if I were in the opera house and saw what was going on, I'd try to make Christine see the light.

Now, thanks to Agnes Nitt, I know that wouldn't have worked. But thank heaven for Terry Pratchett and Agness Nitt for taking Gaston Lero
David Sarkies
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love satire
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Pratchett takes us to the opera
4 November 2014

Since Margrat Garlick has gone on to do bigger and better things (such as ruling) the remaining two witches are at a loss as to who would fill the missing spot in their 'coven'. They did settle on Agnes, however it seems that she also has better things to do, such as run off to Anhk Morpork to become a world famous opera singer. There are a couple of problems with this though (not that she is unable to become an opera singer, despite the suggestion
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
So great to get back to a book with Pratchett doing what he did best after the poor punfest that was Soul Music and the silly adventures of Rincewind in Interesting Times, Maskerade is about the witches and you can't go wrong with Granny and Nanny running riot with things.

Nanny is sick of making the tea, Granny is bored, they need a third (junior) witch to complete their coven and they need adventures to stave off the craziness that can envelope the mind of a bored yet powerful witch (see the ad
SheriC (PM)
How I empathized with Agnes, cursed with a good personality and nice hair, instead of a trim figure and a pretty face. Knowing that she was always expected to be calm and sensible and capable, resenting it, and yet unable to help herself in always being the calm and sensible and capable one in a crisis. What young woman wouldn’t be horrified to see her own future in Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax? And yet, there is certainly power in embracing your true self.

I’m a little sad that there’s only
Brooke Banks
I loved this book. Gee, I say that about every Pratchett book, don't I?

Ah well, it can't be helped. Pratchett has his own unique wonderful style and is truly a master at his craft.

So many things that I loved about this book.

1. I love Agnes. Her struggles and voice was authentic for being an over-weight woman over shadowed by her skinny counter parts due to bias against over-weight people, especially women. I get the criticisms that her heaviness was talked about a lot, but that criticism doesn't
Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-satire
This is a fun take on the world of opera, with lots of sly, punny references to various works, plus a cute twist on The Phantom of the Opera. I really liked how Pratchett stripped all the highfallutin aspects away to reveal the absurdity.
Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg took on the big city and the opera in fine form, hilarious and crafty as ever.
I managed to guess the identity of the killer correctly, although I'd hoped I was wrong, since I rather liked the character.
While it was clear that A
Skip
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, e-books
Sir Terry's Witches series is not among my favorites. This is his re-imagined version of the Phantom of the Opera story, featuring Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Agnes Nit, who has run off to Ankh-Morpork. Singing under her pseudonym of Perdita X. Nitt, she quickly finds herself subordinated to a more attractive girl, for whom she provides her beautiful voice. Meanwhile, the benign Ghost starts killing folks, requiring the intervention of Granny and Nanny Ogg. The bastardized opera names are ...more
Marina
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, own
The Witches series continuous to be witty and hilarious, but all I can really say about it is that the book is good.

I guess it's hard for me to read and fully enjoy serial books without seeing some sort of significant growth in the characters. But while we do find out a little more about Granny's and Nanny's past lives, they're such small tidbits that I wouldn't call them revelations or development. They're still fantastic, hilarious, amazing characters but I want more.

Plus I had a hard time li
Vane
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que bien me lo he pasado. Es uno de mis favoritos de las brujas.
Caroline Eising
I don't think this is one of Pratchett's strongest novels. There are times were the story seems structures just to fit in more jokes, instead of the jokes fitting into the story, and that led to a couple of eye-rolling moments for me, but there are witches! And as usual, witches save the day in their own way. Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax are near the top of the list when it comes to my favourite characters in the series, and they are at their best when thrown out of their usual element. High ...more
Anthony Eaton
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, my revisiting-Terry-Pratchett's-back-catalogue continues....

I'd forgotten about this one, until I found it buried at the back of my shelves. Unlike a few of Pratchett's discworld books, like 'Mort' and 'Going Postal', this one had somehow failed to register in my memory the first time I read it.

Which is a pity, because it's a fantastic book, and I wish I'd re-read it earlier.

Before I go any further, though, I probably need to offer a small confession, of sorts. It's gonna hurt, too. Here it
Kaethe
1 Jan 2000
19 July 2014
13 Aug 2016

This was one of the first Discworld books I ever read, and I wouldn't recommend it as a good place to start. There's Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg (and Greebo) which is to the good, but Death makes only a token appearance, and it isn't very kind. There's a fair amount of fat-bashing, and the pretty girl is presented as an absolute idiot, and the dancers don't eat (as if that weren't pretty much a condition of their employment). Plus it's a riff on Phantom of th
Malapata
Es posible que las brujas sea mi saga favorita de lo que llevo de Mundodisco. Brujerías, sin ser de los mejores, tenía un par de golpes de humor gloriosos (¡esas vendedoras de manzanas!). De ahí pasábamos a la sucesión de divertidas ocurrencias que era Brujas de viaje para, en Lores y damas, demostrarnos que también había lugar para otros sentimientos (y, de camino, terminar de encumbrar a Yaya Ceravieja).

Después de esta estupenda progresión Mascarada es un cierto paso atrás. Es divertido, pero
Paul
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pratchett's Discworld novels are my favorite light reading. He takes bits of our society -- and our language -- and turns them upside-down, inside-out (and sometimes backwards in time) so he can hold them up to the reader with a conspiratorial grin. Pratchett's satire is exuberant, good-humored and, although it is wildly irreverent, doesn't feel disrespectful. Most of all, Pratchett is funny. I often find myself, well, not exactly laughing out loud, more like snorting noisily through my nose (sn ...more
Roviragrao
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relecturas
(Relectura Mundodisco #18)

Yaya Ceravieja y Tata Ogg van a la ciudad en busca de una tercera bruja para completar el aquelarre, y se ven envueltas en una trama de misterios y asesinatos en la ópera.

Como siempre nos encontramos brillantes reflexiones y ocurrencias por toda la novela, aunque su punto fuerte son los momentos protagonizados por Yaya y Tata, los personajes más carismáticos. Por contra, los secundarios me han parecido algo más flojos que en otras novelas.

A veces Pratchett te gana más
Jota Houses
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Terry Pratchett la emprende con el fantasma de la Opera. y como armas utiliza a Yaya Ceravieja y Tata Ogg. Menos logrado que sus antecesores en cuanto a carga simbólica, pero igual de divertido que siempre; asistimos a la demolición de la mitología de la Opera, el Musical y el Folletín decimonónico en las peligrosas calles de Ank-Morpork.
Andree
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, re-read
Back to the TP readthrough. Read this over the course of about a month. It was a reread. I remember really liking this the first time through. And there are some delightful bits. Hence the 4 star rating. I'm rating high, because part of me feels that I should have enjoyed this more, but I didn't. I feel like it might have been mood. This one has a lot of good stuff in it, but I struggled on this readthrough. And I don't know why.
Fiona
Every time I feel bogged down by the things I'm reading, I always know something that's going to cheer me up. PTerry on excellent form. A masterfully well-put-together mystery that kept me guessing longer than most. The level of observation and writing style send shivers down my spine.
Peregrine
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
One time my friend made me watch the Phantom of the Opera with him. It was the night before I had an ochem test and I did not like that movie at all, but I'm glad for the experience for two reasons:

1. I got some references in this book I otherwise would not have, and
2. the night after I saw the movie, I had a dream that was just the whole movie over again except the Phantom had been replaced with Darth Vader. He didn't even do anything, just stood there menacingly while the dramatic Phantom th
Diana
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I know this book is supposed to be a light-hearted Discworld romp featuring the irrepressible Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg running around witching it up, and it really is; I giggled repeatedly at their antics and the ridiculous Greebo the cat, who is occasionally a man. The late, great Terry Pratchett played the English language like a finely tuned instrument built by aliens, and I approve so hard, seriously. Still, as silly as it is, this book is fantastically filled with deep thoughts about ...more
Cyn Romero
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Esta es la penúltima entrega de las aventuras de Yaya y Tata Ogg, y está llena de escenas inolvidables y de personajes secundarios a la altura de las circunstancias.
Tata y Yaya se han quedado sin Magrat, y eso significa dos cosas: la primera, que deben hacerse ellas mismas el té y las tostadas durante las reuniones. La segunda, que el equilibrio del grupo se ha roto y las dos ya no tienen a nadie que las detenga de hacer sus locuras (en el buen y el mal sentido, la tentación al lado oscuro de u
S K Gillespie
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I love Terry Pratchett.

A few years ago I refused to read any of his books. Kids stuff, I thought, ugly covers (yes, I DO judge books by their covers. There should be a club for that) and too short for a decent story. Then one night I was stuck at a pub while my ex boyfriend was working and one of the other guards let me sit in his car, drink his guarana + caffeine drinks and fossick through all the crap on the floor. And I found Men at Arms. And because I was bored I read it. then I read another
After Wyrd Sisters? 15 106 May 05, 2014 03:41AM
  • East of Ealing
  • Valhalla
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)

More about Terry Pratchett

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
“Nanny's philosophy of life was to do what seemed like a good idea at the time, and do it as hard as possible. It had never let her down.” 201 likes
“His progress through life was hampered by his tremendous sense of his own ignorance, a disability which affects all too few.” 186 likes