Start by marking “Maskerade (Discworld, #18; Witches #5)” as Want to Read:
Maskerade (Discworld, #18; Witches #5)

Maskerade

(Discworld #18)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  50,702 ratings  ·  1,338 reviews
The Ghost in the bone-white mask who haunts theAnkh-Morpork Opera House was always considered a benign presence -- some would even say lucky -- until he started killing people. The sudden rash of bizarre backstage deaths now threatens to mar the operatic debut of country girl Perdita X. (nee Agnes) Nitt, she of the ample body and ampler voice.

Perdita's expected to hide in
Published 1995 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Maskerade, please sign up.
Szava There are references to other previous books, but it can be understood without reading those first

·  50,702 ratings  ·  1,338 reviews

Start your review of Maskerade (Discworld, #18; Witches #5)
Adrian
So the fat lady sang and all was (almost) right with the world.
More tomorrow 😬🎶

Every time I read a Discworld novel, I think "oh these characters have got to be my favourite" ( at this point you can insert DEATH, Rincewind, The City Watch, The Wizards, The Witches), the annoying thing is that at the time of reading they are/were my favourite, until I read the next novel.

This novel, focussing on the witches, is based mainly in the opera house of Ankh-Morpork, although there is a wonderful chapter
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I always love Pratchett's witches books and this one was as usual laugh out loud funny. Granny Weatherwax is a wonderful character and then Death made several cameo appearances too which is always good. Pratchett was a master of parody and some of his allusions to opera and to musicals were brilliant.
I think the Discworld will always remain one of my most favourite series and my number one "go to" books when I want to read something light, well written, smart and funny.
Lyn
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The Phantom of the Opera on the Discworld.

With witches!

All of Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books are good but having an adventure with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Og makes it all the better.

Here we find Lancre’s two most famous witches traveling to Ankh-Morpork to find Agnes Nitt who has taken up in the chorus of the Ankh-Morpork Opera house. And of course they happen upon a Scooby-Doolicious murder mystery surrounding the legend of the opera ghost.

As in all of the Discworld books, Pratchett
Melki
Granny looked out at the dull gray sky and the dying leaves and felt, amazingly enough, her sap rising. A day ago the future had looked aching and desolate, and now it looked full of surprises and terror and bad things happening to people...
If she had anything to do with it, anyway.

Agnes Nitt and her alter ego, Perdita X. Dream, have joined the opera. Agnes has a remarkable singing voice (she can even sing harmony with...herself...), but unfortunately, she is a "traditionally built woman." So, s
Melindam
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld, favourites
" '... anyway, you said you were at your wits' end with thinking what you'd do with the money.'
'Yes, but I'd have quite liked to have been at my wits' end on a big comfy chase longyou somewhere with lots of big, strong men buyin' me chocolates and pressin' their favors on me.'
'Money don't buy happiness, Gytha.'
'i only wanted to rent it for a few weeks.' "

" 'Well, you are a witch!!! Can't you do that thing with the cards and glasses?'
'Well, yes ... we could have a poker game, ' said Nanny. 'Go
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-shelf
Phantom of the Opera!

With the Witches!

WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Well, obviously, anything. This is Opera and the Show Must Go On! With or without Greebo in the mix. :)

Quite fun because I love the Phantom of the Opera and I love the Witches, but am I a fan of Anges?

Nah. Not really. I keep wanting a certain Tiffany to join the stage. Patience, patience.
Trish
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how I love the witches! I just can't help myself.

In this 18th installment of the Discworld series, which is the 5th involving Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg, there is only the two of them since Magrat became queen. So they are trying to recruit a witch called Anges but she is more than reluctant since she wants to become an Opera singer.
Thus, Granny and Nanny travel to Ankh-Morpork and get "cultured". *sniggers*
The problem is that when they arrive, the opera house is haunted by a ghost and
Ashley
The last time we saw the Witches, they were ushering off their third member into the perils of marriage, and to a King, no less. Anyway, Magrat's gone now, and things are going funny without a third to balance things out. Nanny Ogg in particular is worried about Granny Weatherwax, who is terrifying under the best of circumstances. They take a trip to Ankh-Morpork after Granny learns that Nanny wrote a book that is a bestseller, but has gotten no royalties from the swindling publisher. And hey, w ...more
BrokenTune
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Right! Let’s do some good!’ she said, to the universe at large.

Need I say anything more about the Granny Weatherwax, the speaker of this line? She is still one of the best characters in fiction. In Maskerade, Granny and Nanny are faced with the difficulty of being a coven of only two witches. They need a third. Because, as we know, two witches is not a coven, it's an argument. There has to be a third to settle the argument - or act as a buffer.

Unfortunately, Agnes, the hopeful addition to Grann
MisterFweem
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The musical "Phantom of the Opera" used to drive me crazy. All that foppish flopping around with Christine being the sad weepy and yet easily manipulated girl who would run off and do whatever the creep with the dinnerware stuck to his face told him. I always figured if I were in the opera house and saw what was going on, I'd try to make Christine see the light.

Now, thanks to Agnes Nitt, I know that wouldn't have worked. But thank heaven for Terry Pratchett and Agness Nitt for taking Gaston Lero
YouKneeK
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maskerade is the fifth book in the Witches subseries of Discworld. I usually enjoy the Witches books a little more than the others. I didn’t think this one was as uproariously funny as Wyrd Sisters or Witches Abroad, but I did enjoy it.

The story centers on some goings-on at an opera house. The opera house has always had a mysterious ghost with certain demands, but lately this ghost seems to have gone off the deep end. It's murdering people and leaving crazy notes with lots of exclamation points.
David Sarkies
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love satire
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Pratchett takes us to the opera
4 November 2014

Since Margrat Garlick has gone on to do bigger and better things (such as ruling) the remaining two witches are at a loss as to who would fill the missing spot in their 'coven'. They did settle on Agnes, however it seems that she also has better things to do, such as run off to Anhk Morpork to become a world famous opera singer. There are a couple of problems with this though (not that she is unable to become an opera singer, despite the suggestion
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
So great to get back to a book with Pratchett doing what he did best after the poor punfest that was Soul Music and the silly adventures of Rincewind in Interesting Times, Maskerade is about the witches and you can't go wrong with Granny and Nanny running riot with things.

Nanny is sick of making the tea, Granny is bored, they need a third (junior) witch to complete their coven and they need adventures to stave off the craziness that can envelope the mind of a bored yet powerful witch (see the ad
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group in 2018.

Agnes Nitt, introduced briefly in Lords and Ladies has been selected by Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg as the new third witch for the Lancre coven. Which is a shame, because she's actually already left to pursue a singing career in the Ankh Morpork Opera. A short foray into fortune-telling later and the witches are one the way to Ankh Morpork to find out just what's wrong at the Opera and why so many people are dying there
SheriC (PM)
How I empathized with Agnes, cursed with a good personality and nice hair, instead of a trim figure and a pretty face. Knowing that she was always expected to be calm and sensible and capable, resenting it, and yet unable to help herself in always being the calm and sensible and capable one in a crisis. What young woman wouldn’t be horrified to see her own future in Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax? And yet, there is certainly power in embracing your true self.

I’m a little sad that there’s only
Juho Pohjalainen
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've never seen any opera. I suspect that if I had, some of the absurdity of this book might have been lost to me. Better this way.

This is probably my favourite witch book.
Marina
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, own
The Witches series continuous to be witty and hilarious, but all I can really say about it is that the book is good.

I guess it's hard for me to read and fully enjoy serial books without seeing some sort of significant growth in the characters. But while we do find out a little more about Granny's and Nanny's past lives, they're such small tidbits that I wouldn't call them revelations or development. They're still fantastic, hilarious, amazing characters but I want more.

Plus I had a hard time li
Brooke Banks
I loved this book. Gee, I say that about every Pratchett book, don't I?

Ah well, it can't be helped. Pratchett has his own unique wonderful style and is truly a master at his craft.

So many things that I loved about this book.

1. I love Agnes. Her struggles and voice was authentic for being an over-weight woman over shadowed by her skinny counter parts due to bias against over-weight people, especially women. I get the criticisms that her heaviness was talked about a lot, but that criticism doesn't
Anna
It seems Nanny Ogg has the same view of operas as I do.

“Well, basically there are two sorts of opera," said Nanny, who also had the true witch's ability to be confidently expert on the basis of no experience whatsoever. "There's your heavy opera, where basically people sing foreign and it goes like "Oh oh oh, I am dyin', oh I am dyin', oh oh oh, that's what I'm doin'", and there's your light opera, where they sing in foreign and it basically goes "Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! I like to drink lots of
Wiebke (1book1review)
What a wonderful trip with Granny and Nanny to Ankh-Morpork to go and visit the opera. I loved how the idea of seeing what is really there was explored as well as pointing out superficiality in people in general and in star quality in particular.
Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-adult, satire
This is a fun take on the world of opera, with lots of sly, punny references to various works, plus a cute twist on The Phantom of the Opera. I really liked how Pratchett stripped all the highfallutin aspects away to reveal the absurdity.
Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg took on the big city and the opera in fine form, hilarious and crafty as ever.
I managed to guess the identity of the killer correctly, although I'd hoped I was wrong, since I rather liked the character.
While it was clear that A
Tanya
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The show must go on, as murder, music and mayhem run riot in the night...

This is the eighteenth novel in the Discworld series, and the fifth in the Witches series.

Much like other Discworld books, it's a little all over the place in the beginning, while it tries to get the different storylines to converge into one plot—and the lack of chapters is something I'll probably never get used to, and which doesn't help the novel's coherence, as far as I'm concerned.

Still, there's possibly nothing more de
Caroline Eising
I don't think this is one of Pratchett's strongest novels. There are times were the story seems structures just to fit in more jokes, instead of the jokes fitting into the story, and that led to a couple of eye-rolling moments for me, but there are witches! And as usual, witches save the day in their own way. Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax are near the top of the list when it comes to my favourite characters in the series, and they are at their best when thrown out of their usual element. High ...more
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy, humor
I read this because I had just finished writing the fifth Extraordinaries book and I was creatively and emotionally tapped out. Terry Pratchett was so brilliant! I'd completely forgotten (it's been about seven years since I read this last) that this is the book with Nanny Ogg's cookbook, which cracks me up every time. And Agnes "Perdita X" Nitt is a delight.

I never remember, either, how much of a stylist influence Pratchett has been on my writing. Not the humor, obviously, but the dialogue struc
Whisper19
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ya know what, I ended up liking this one more than I thought I would. I don't know why. There's so much mess all through the book, but somehow it ends up warming your heart.

And of course there are the quotes:
"You need at least three witches for a coven. Two witches is just an argument."

"Five [exclamation marks]. A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

"Opera happens because a large number of things amaizingly fail to go wrong."

"He could swagger while asleep. Greebo could,
Anthony Eaton
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, my revisiting-Terry-Pratchett's-back-catalogue continues....

I'd forgotten about this one, until I found it buried at the back of my shelves. Unlike a few of Pratchett's discworld books, like 'Mort' and 'Going Postal', this one had somehow failed to register in my memory the first time I read it.

Which is a pity, because it's a fantastic book, and I wish I'd re-read it earlier.

Before I go any further, though, I probably need to offer a small confession, of sorts. It's gonna hurt, too. Here it
Kaethe Douglas
1 Jan 2000
19 July 2014
13 Aug 2016

This was one of the first Discworld books I ever read, and I wouldn't recommend it as a good place to start. There's Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg (and Greebo) which is to the good, but Death makes only a token appearance, and it isn't very kind. There's a fair amount of fat-bashing, and the pretty girl is presented as an absolute idiot, and the dancers don't eat (as if that weren't pretty much a condition of their employment). Plus it's a riff on Phantom of th
Skip
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, fantasy
Sir Terry's Witches series is not among my favorites. This is his re-imagined version of the Phantom of the Opera story, featuring Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Agnes Nit, who has run off to Ankh-Morpork. Singing under her pseudonym of Perdita X. Nitt, she quickly finds herself subordinated to a more attractive girl, for whom she provides her beautiful voice. Meanwhile, the benign Ghost starts killing folks, requiring the intervention of Granny and Nanny Ogg. The bastardized opera names are ...more
Melissa
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh I have enjoyed Granny and Nanny. This one was super fun
After Wyrd Sisters? 15 111 May 05, 2014 03:41AM

• Monstrous Regiment
  • Monsters Unleashed!
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Quandary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #4)
  • 100 Unhip Albums: That We Should Learn to Love
  • The Memory Wood
  • ACCA Financial Reporting: Practice and Revision Kit
  • Civil War II: Gods of War
  • Civil War II: Kingpin
  • A Clash of Kings #1
  • Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity from Bronze Age to Silver Screen
  • Spamäti
  • Sensible Footwear: A Girl's Guide
  • Abel se ontwaking
  • Nickolai of the North
  • The Stolen (An American Fairie Tale, #1)
  • The First Wall (The Siege of Terra #3)

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)