Start by marking “Alternate Generals” as Want to Read:
Alternate Generals

Alternate Generals (Alternate Generals #1)

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  320 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Leadership makes all the difference! At Gaugemela the Macedonians had Alexander and the Persians had -- Darius. Result: world conquest. But what if the Persians had had -- Erwin Rommel. Or what if George S. Patton had commanded Southern forces at Bull Run, and Lincoln had become a Confederate prisoner? The possibilities are endless....
Mass Market Paperback, 314 pages
Published July 1st 1998 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Alternate Generals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alternate Generals

Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/642919.html[return][return]Collection of alternate history pieces with a military theme. Most of these were pretty unmemorable. "And so - Nelson fought for the French! Napoleon joined the church! Custer lived and was elected president!" If the entire story can be summed up in half a sentence I wonder why I bothered reading the rest.[return][return]Three did stand out from the crowd for me. "Billy Mitchell's Overt Act", by William Sanders, and "Vati", by R.M. Meluch, bo ...more
Balthazar Lawson
Feb 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
When it comes to alternate history there are unlimited possibilities of what could and couldn't happen. So I find it very annoying when Nelson instead of fighting on the side of the British fights on the side of the French. BUT still dies in the battle. This kind of scenario is just frustrating as it kind of says that the time of ones death is pre ordained. This approach to alternate history stories is just a cop out and one thing I hate about the genre.

However, not all the stories in this colle
Charles
Dec 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I don't know if I was just in a bad mood when I read this collection or not, but there just wasn't hardly anything here that I cared much for. A lot of the stories seemed too long to me, and way too slow. Some were downright confusing. I liked William Forstchen's story. Lillian Carl's story was decent. I'm reviewing it about a year and a half after I read it and I have almost no memory for any of the stories, however, which means that nothing really stood out for me. Maybe I was just having an o ...more
Pruitt
First book of an alternate-history anthology series edited by Harry Turtledove. Basically a bunch of "What if..." about a number of historical figures, and historical encounters. If you enjoy reading Alternate History style stories like I do, I recommend this one. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series now.
Kei
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Some more engaging than others, as with any short story collection. The last line of the last story is particularly chilling.
Enjoyable. Take into account, of course, my absolute fascination with alternate histories.
Andreas
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Alternate military history anthology. The quality is mixed, and it requires at least a passing knowledge of the incidents the stories are based on in order to extract full appreciation. A passable light read if you’re into military science fiction.

Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who like alternative history.
This was a fun series of short and longer stories about historical and other figures. Using the imaginations of several authors, I loved how things can vary from story to story - tanks in one, spaceships in another. It was a very enjoyable read.
Michelle
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some of the stories were good, but a lot of them were very boring. For several, it helps to know your history so you know when the story deviates from fact.
Bernardo Salas
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Classic Turtledove. Interesting concept but ultimately incomplete and unsatisfying. After finishing the book, I got the the feeling that it could have been so much more.
Gustaf Rantung
Bruce
Oct 17, 2009
Strider2u
Jan 16, 2013
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History
  • Alternate Presidents
  • Grantville Gazette VI (Grantville Gazette, #6)
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • The Moscow Option: An Alternative Second World War
  • The Way It Wasn't: Great Science Fiction Stories of Alternate History
  • 1862
  • For Want of a Nail: If Burgoyne had won at Saratoga
  • What Ifs? of American History: Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been
  • Virtual History: Alternatives And Counterfactuals
  • The Two Georges
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • Pearl Harbor (Pearl Harbor, #1)
  • Rebels In Hell (Heroes in Hell, #3)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Alternate Generals (3 books)
  • Alternate Generals II