Start by marking “The Haunted Fort (Hardy Boys, #44)” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Fort (Hardy Boys, #44)

The Haunted Fort (Hardy Boys #44)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,723 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
For action, mystery and cliff-hanging suspense, read THE HARDY BOYS MYSTERY STORIES® - featuring the thrilling adventures of America's favorite detective duo, Frank and Joe Hardy. Millions of young readers have teamed up with the Hardy Boys, helping them in their quest to bring criminals to justice. Be a part of the fun! Start your collection of original hardcover Hardy Bo ...more
Published December 1st 1965 by Grosset & Dunlap, Inc (first published December 1st 1964)

Ami
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. Although, I have read better. It was a short book but also a page turner. I would recommend this book to people that like mystery.
Jerry
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's business as usual for this series...which isn't a bad thing.
Susan
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, 2013
Pretty good action adventure for the Hardy boys. I kept picturing Ft. Ticonderoga in my mind when the author was describing the fort.

I'm sure juvenile boys would enjoy this quaint tale, but I wonder just how many would know what 'vittles', 'hootenanny' and 'Jiminy' meant?! :)
Bookista
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
A real sausage fest that was about as interesting as watching paint dry. High point was use of the word "hootenanny."
Sean Hall
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
To be honest, I can't remember exactly which of the Hardy Boys series I read as a kid (it was that long ago). But I do remember going to my grandma's house and she had several of them on a shelf, and I liked reading them. Old school YA.
David
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
it was the creepiest book I have ever read. it was so good that I was so excited to see what would happen next that I would not put the book down.
Austin B
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just read the book The Haunted Fort by Franklin W. Dixon. I loved this book it is one of my favorite books now. I would definitely read it twice. These books make the reader keep reading, these books have so many places with a suspense part. That is why I like them so much. The Hardy boys go to this haunted called Senadaga. Then they have to look for a golden chain and a tomahawk.

This author (Franklin W. Dixon) makes the reader keep thinking and reading. He wants you to keep reading or stop a
Brenda
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story, great use of characters, wonderful plot and attention to detail. This all begins with the theft of a few paintings at an art school ran by Chet's uncle Jim, and the Hardy's are in for a new case. This one is quite different from the others, in that there are several situations/accidents that happen, where both Hardy's and even Chet could have died, if not as smart as they are.
So, with all this great work, why am I making it a 4 and not 5 star book? It is due to a misuse of a word,
David Arko
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought this book was really good but, not as exciting as I hoped. There were many interesting parts, but the book still felt a little dry. I'm not saying I hate the book I'm just saying I've read better. I guess the book was written really well on what would happen in real life, but I guess that's what made me lose interest. Some parts in there could have been better. I thought the writing was difficult, but not to to difficult to misunderstand. Most of the writing was perfectly fine. Then th ...more
Harshman
Sep 30, 2008 rated it liked it
The book that I read in class was The Hunted Fort. I thought it was pretty good book the thing that I liked about it was that there was a lot of action parts threw out the book it was interesting and it made me not wanting to stop reading it. One of the parts that I liked the most was the car chase it was like it was really happening. Another part that I like was when they where at the lake and the were like looking and watching over the fort then all asundin this person just like floats a cros ...more
Kaley
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Frank and Joe Hardy have been invited by Chet's uncle to solve the mystery at an art school just across the lake from an old French and Indian Battle Fort. When art from the Prisoner-Painter's collection that hold a secret to find hidden treasure goes missing, the boys must find the thief or thieves behind it all and find the legendary treasure hidden within the fort.

I just have a soft spot for all things written back in the good old days. This book reminds me a lot of Nancy Drew's mystery stor
Bearcatgary
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
The Hardy Boys along with Chet Morton take a trip to an artist enclave somewhere in New England. They are invited by Chet's uncle, who is an art instructor at the enclave, to investigate mysterious happenings at a nearby fort. As is customary in this series, spine tingling adventure ensues.

Although probably not my favorite Hardy Boys book, this is definitely a good story. It seems the ghost writer had fairly decent knowledge of the French and Indian War as well as various terms used to describe
Dane
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Joe is a strong kid that goes around solving mysteries. When I read this book, I thought about how cool it would be to be a mystery solver, and what problems you would face on the journey. You feel like Joe is bringing you along on the journey. The book was filled with action, adventure, and mystery. I liked that you can’t figure out the mystery until the last chapter. It made me want to keep turning the pages. I liked this book more than other books in this series because it was the most action ...more
Morgan Harris
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think people should read the Haunted Fort. They should read this book because there is a lot of supspense,and mysteries that happen one after another. For example, the mystery the Hardy Boys were trying to solve is, who kept steeling the prisoner painter's paintings from Fort Senandaga, and the museums. But, as they were looking through the Fort there wwere strange noises, ghost appearing, and people were trying to kill the Hardy Boys. But they solved the mystery and nobody was hurt, it was a ...more
Linda
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I debated giving this book 3 or 4 stars because it's so formularic but decided to go for the higher rating since this Hardy Boys book was better than the others I've read.

Frank and Joe Hardy travel to Crown Lake in New England with their friend Chet to a summer art school where Chet's uncle Jim is an instructor. Someone is stealing famous paintings of the nearby old French fort ruins. The fort itself seems to be haunted but the reader will know that that's because there are rumors of a hidden t
Samir
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advisory-2010-11
The mystery is so full of trickery and I have never read a book with so much trickery. I can't give away so much about the book but what I can tell you is a gang steals famous paintings. It is said that one has a clue about a treasure which is a chain made of pure gold. Then after noticing their friend Chet had a surprise. The Hardy's were hired to go travel to England and track it down. You need to read this book.
Peter
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book with lots of action and adventure. Franklin W. Dixon does a very good job of giving you clues about the conclusion of the book while building up suspense. This book is mainly about the Hardy boys (Frank and Joe) going to an art school and finding out about a mystery on a seemingly haunted fort. They learn about a painter who was held captive in this fort, learned about a treasure and hid clues to it in his paintings and frames.
Phillip
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
By the 44th book the Hardy boys and trusted friend Chet are apparently completely numb to several attempted murders. Also I never understood how exactly you bound your captives with a belt and then how you manage to get to the police without your pants falling off. All else aside, I still have a guilty pleasure in the Hardy Boys.
Edward Davies
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
This was a much better installment of the Hardy Boys series, mainly because we had suspects to play with and not just some random spy who turns up at the end. Again, the writer is trying to teach us something, from the American Civil War to artistry, but on the whole this was a pretty good read for kids.
Andrew
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, les-deux
Pulled this off the shelf on a whim - still a fun read. Undeniably propulsive style - reliably a cliffhanger every 10 pages - and as exciting as I remember. Plot is, of course, preposterous, but what insane person reads a Hardy Boys mystery for the realism?
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys, Frank and Joe, are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their father's footsteps.
Padraic
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The book that opened the flood gates. I proceeded to read the previous 43, and haven't stopped reading since. All disparagers of serial writing factors will be shown the door. Joe and Frank kick ass with a jalopy and skiff to match!
Nayanasree H.Lal (Zeus's daughter)
Paintings of the senandaga get stolen and frank and Joe are to find them along with a treasure hidden in the fort by the painter. The clue to the treasure is in a painting so be sure...Thieves are out..
Partridge Public
Sep 20, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: JF Dix
Shelves: juniorfiction
Dixon, Franklin W.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardy-boys-books
Another great Hardy Boys adventure!!
Asher Lestat
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book really awesome. My favorite part was the ending.
Christen Lee
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This one was too spastic, even for the Hardy Boys.
Jake Oliver
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was totally amazed by the story.. Their adventures and the sleuthing.. oh, i just love the adventures of the hardy boys. i have read it in a book.. the original hard cover edition.
Jim Sampson
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hardy boys after paint thieves in this adventure. Another enjoyable read.
Jaden
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Hardy Boys Series so far is very fascinating. I can't wait to continue reading the series.
Goodreads Librari...: Add As Variant Cover For Same ISBN 3 8 Mar 08, 2015 07:46PM
  • Mystery Train (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery #8)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Mystery of the Purple Pirate (The Three Investigators, #33)
  • The Mystery of the Blinking Eye
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)