Start by marking “Disclosure” as Want to Read:
Disclosure

Disclosure

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  71,727 ratings  ·  1,033 reviews
The thriller that opened a new chapter in the sex wars ...

Thomas Sanders' world collapses in just 24 hours - he is passed over for promotion, his new woman boss comes on to him during a drink after work, then, the next morning, he learns that she has accused him of sexually harassing her. She demands his transfer, thereby threatening to cut him off from the millions he wou
Published 1994 by Arrow

To ask other readers questions about Disclosure, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Carlo
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alex Shrugged A claim of defamation against a new agency is difficult to bring unless one can prove that the news agency was in possession of all the facts and yet …moreA claim of defamation against a new agency is difficult to bring unless one can prove that the news agency was in possession of all the facts and yet told a lie anyway. The book makes a point of this, though it is not as obvious as it was in the book Airframe.
(less)

·  71,727 ratings  ·  1,033 reviews

Start your review of Disclosure
Nandakishore Mridula
I read this book on the recommendation of one of my colleagues, a lady, who was also my senior in college. When I told her that I had finished it, she invited me to her room in the evening to discuss it. I said: "Are you crazy? I am not entering your room without a witness!"

Crichton had got to me, very badly...
Matthew
The first thing I can say about this book is that it is dated. At one point there are several paragraphs explaining what CD-ROM is and how it is the up and coming technology. Also, they are developing virtual reality that, while it has as far as I know, gotten as far as it is described in the book, is still not very mind blowing with where modern technology is.

But, at the time, I know that this was cutting edge. So, when you read it you must try and read it with a mid-90s mindset. If you do that
Tulay
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book.

Read the book and saw the movie fifteen years ago. It was nice to spend couple days with Sanders, happy with his personal life and work. Sexual harassment, office politics turns him inside out.
W
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: seen-as-movies
Thomas Sanders has a new female boss.He has known her in the past.But now,she has a lot of power over him.

She comes on to him after work,he finds that he has been passed over for promotion,and the next morning,she accuses him of sexual assault.This woman is now playing the innocent victim.

Now,he has a fight on his hands,to save his career,and his reputation.
Michael Crichton could come up with some interesting ideas for his books,and this is one of them.

But stretching this book,for over 400 pages
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
"Power is neither male nor female."

Ultimately I'm giving this one a three star rating for various reasons, but it was engrossing and harder to put down than most 3 star books.

Crichton touches on the very real but often neglected and non-discussed issue of using sexual harassment as a weapon and political maneuver. Usually this subject is brought up because of the power being leaked out of the other end of the spectrum, producing victims, yet here he shows that certainly isn't always the case, e
Jay Schutt
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This started out with way too much technical mumbo-jumbo in the first 150 pages concerning a corporate merger. Then the pace picked up and went right to the heart of the plot. A legal thriller about a sexual harassment case. An interesting story that was well written and a page-turner. A good read after all.
Erin
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jar of Death Pick #35

Disclosure is a 1993 novel written by Michael Crichton who is best known for writing Jurassic Park one of my all time favorite movies(I haven't read the book...yet) about sexual harassment in the tech industry.

Tom Sanders is an up and coming executive at a Seattle computer firm who expects to be made Vice President of his division but is shocked when his ex girlfriend Meredith Johnson gets the job instead. Despite being disappointed and a little angry he accepts it and agre
Bren
“Harassment is about power---the undue exercise of power by a superior over a subordinate.”
― Michael Crichton, Disclosure

I would love to see, how this book would be received were it released today. As it was, it did cause a stir way back when it was first released. I thought it was a great book and the movie, while not AS good was pretty awesome as well.

I happen to know that this sort of thing happens..harrassers can be either female or male. It is all about control and really does not have any
Rohit Enghakat
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first time I saw the movie based on the book, it was fabulous. Normally i try to avoid books based on movies if I have already seen the movie. So i gave up many opportunities to buy this book. Finally I couldn't resist when I saw a bargain on this one and I bought it since it was almost 15 years since i watched the movie. I was not disappointed at all. The movie might have taken liberties with the plot subtly but it was not so obvious.

The plot is about our protagonist who is sexually harasse
Alex
Feb 24, 2009 rated it liked it
I recommend it if you are looking for a quick read. It's about 400 pages and I read it in three days. The story is extremely complicated. The plot is so convoluted that I'm still not quite sure it all ties together. There are plot twists every few pages. In fact, there really is nothing but plot twists. Crichton does not allow plot threads to play out before there is another turn in the story. This might make the novel sound like hackery, but a confusing and meandering plot is necessary to the t ...more
Nathan Rabin
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Holy fuck is this some misogynistic hot garbage. How this viciously misogynistic drivel became a best seller and pop culture phenomenon is beyond me. This is arguably the single worst book I've ever hate-read, and I have read Dustin Diamond's memoir. ...more
Syndi
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book. I love the thriller. The haunting game between the boss and her employee on sexual harassment case. I was young adult then when i read this book. And this book spoke to me about respect and greed. I also like the movie.
Asghar Abbas
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Provocative. Still relevant. Makes you think. Whom would you believe?
Ash
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Micheal Crichton is an ingenious story teller with beautifully crafted plot that revolves around corporate environment in a high-tech company. The one thing about Mr. Crichton's books are his trademark use of technological advancement which he entwines perfectly in the design of his plot.
This book is no different. But one would be skeptical thinking it will be all technological blabber. So wrong!
The most pleasurable thing about reading the book is, it is articulate. All technology is explained
Shannon
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
MINI-REVIEW

DISCLOSURE investigates what it's like for a man to be sexually harassed but have no one believe him (i.e. instead the computer company sides with the woman). As things worsen, we get to see the man's working world constrict around him as all his friends turn away.

Of course, this all leads to a bigger matter, typical of the Crichton novels, but we love it.

A very good read.

OVERALL GRADE: B plus
Sandra Heinzman
Very good book. It's my first by Michael Crichton, and now I want to read more. It was one of this month's selections (did not win) for one of my book clubs. I could hardly put the book down, because I wanted to know what was going to happen! ...more
Bodosika Bodosika
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting read
read it sometimes in 2001
you won't regret paying for it.
Corey
Michael Crichton is an excellent author, he really knows a lot about his technology. A business executive, Tom Sanders who works for a computer firm is expecting to become the new director of his company. But things change when a female employee named Meredith Johnson gets promoted, and Meredith happens to be Tom's former lover. One night Tom goes into Meredith's office, she tries to sexually assault him.

When word of it gets out, no one believes his story, and Meredith has everybody believing To
Bill
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Someone loaned this to me once and I really wasn't expecting to like it. My expectations were completely dashed after the first chapter. I could not put it down.
A riveting tale of sexual harrassment in the workplace where the man is the victim (yeah, he could have said 'No') of his beautiful boss.
Highly recommended!
Michael
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
CD-ROMs! Small (aka, hilariously clunky) cell phones! Modems! Virtual reality! Sexual harassment lawsuits! And hey, what's this Internet thing?

Yes, it's ripped right from the headlines... of the early 90s. Which is fine, that's when the book was written, but it's so funny how the book trying so hard to seem contemporary and topical makes it feel dated that much sooner.

So it was fine, it kept me reading.

But... I'm not sure it actually all came together in the end.

(SPOILERS)

OK, at the end, we fi
Cynthia
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
To be honest, this is the second time I started reading this book. To tell the story, the author had to include details about CD-ROMs that a non geek doesn’t want to read. However, I am glad I gave this book a second shot!

The basis for the story is sexual harassment in the workplace, but “flipped” by the author for our reading pleasure so it’s a man being harassed by his female superior. Make no mistakes about it, the harasser is as bold and brash as they come. A real corporate ladder climber 🧗‍
Thomas Waite
A book that demonstrates the corporate world can be just as dangerous as any geopolitical venue. This novel, along with John Grisham's The Firm, strongly influenced my own first novel, Terminal Value. It strikes just the right balance of the details required to inform the reader about business and the actions necessary to propel its plot. ...more
Julie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
This could have been a good book IF he would have continued with the harassment part of it instead of turning the story into corporate drivel.
Kaustubh Dudhane
Read sometime in 2011-12.

“Harassment is about power - the undue exercise of power by a superior over a subordinate.”

Most of the classic book experiences had been ruined for me because I had seen some Bollywood movie which was a copy or inspired from a similar plot or a story from a best selling novel and that too without giving the credit to the author. The movie I had seen almost 7 years back before reading this novel was Aitraaz. (Yes, there is a Hollywood movie as well.) While the topic
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm always in awe of Michael Crichton. His works are just so diverse. Dinosaurs, gorillas, spaceships, diseases, and this time female-on-male sexual harassment and computers. I liked this book much more than the movie version I saw many years ago. I always liked the story, but Demi Moore rubs me the wrong way (and that was even pre-Ashton Kutcher). Both the role reversal sexual harassment and the IT/virtual reality aspects are very much still relevant 15 years after the book being published. I w ...more
Caroline
Apr 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015_prose
GARBAGE!
Imran Usman
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All I say is, it's much better than both Movies. (Yes, there a Hindi/Indian Version too) ...more
Stuart Aken
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
First published in 1994, Disclosure by Michael Crichton, is one of those novels based on actual events, though this is not made clear until the end of the book, in an ‘afterword’. Whether that information would have made any difference to my reading is an unknown. It reads like fiction, so I read it in that spirit.
The stated theme is that of sexual harassment and its potentially corrosive effects on both corporations and society in general. Written at a time when such complaints were increasing
Shannon Wyss
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I feel very ambivalently about this book. On the one hand, i was engrossed in the plot and really wanted to know what was going to happen. It is also very important for the stories of men who are sexually harassed by women bosses to be told.

On the other hand, this book's take on the subject did not come off as feminist or liberatory for people of any gender. Of the book's women characters, only one is decent; the others are "bitches" or neutral. The one self-identified feminist character in the
Gorab
My Rating - 3.5/5
This was a nice entertaining read on an otherwise boring 36 hrs train journey. Based on a true story of sexual harassment in corporate world, it was a superbly paced gripping thriller with frequent plot twists. The virtual data library (sci-fi) part was bit of a distraction from the main plot. Enjoyed the enigmatic dialogues of Max Dorfman(the old man in wheelchair).
Though felt there were a few plot holes with some unanswered questions.

• Betrayal of Faith (Zachary Blake Legal Thriller #1)
  • The Zombie Room
  • Median Gray
  • The Elephant Tree
  • The Runaway Jury
  • The Room
  • The Pelican Brief
  • Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1)
  • The Client
  • The Rainmaker
  • Haunted
  • Eye for Eye (Talion #1)
  • Child of God
  • The Drowned World
  • Battle Royale
  • A Case of Need
  • The General's Daughter
  • The Virgin Suicides
See top shelves…
Michael Crichton (1942-2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Doug ...more