Start by marking “Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)” as Want to Read:
Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)

Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula #5)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  2,870 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
First there is the omen: A relentless rain stops suddenly at 3:00 am and Chester shows Harold and Howie a cat carrier, open and waiting, by the front door. Chester, who has been reading avidly about the paranormal, predicts that they will soon be traveling someplace, and chances are they are not going to like it. Indeed they are not, as the very next day, with the sun shin ...more
Published March 1st 1993 by HarperTrophy (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Howliday Inn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Howliday Inn

Pickle Farmer
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
What a cute book! I loved this series as a kid. Anything with talking animals, amirite? So much wordplay that went over my head as a child! Is the cat Chester a reference to Chesterton? I loved how his fatal flaw, an over-active imagination, is basically the same as Quixote's. I loved the two cats - Felony and Miss Demeanor. Yuck yuck yuck! And how the Great Dane is called Hamlet.
Chuckle chuckle chuckle! This book wasn't as scary as perhaps the others in the series were - I was impressed at my a
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Revisiting the scene of their greatest success, Return to Howliday Inn does a fair job of invoking that faux-fearful atmosphere, but, again, it's all too rushed.

This is the last of the five Bunnicula books I wanted to reread, and having them all in paperback and next to each other it's obvious that the first Howliday Inn is twice as long as the other books. Bunnicula can be excused as a first attempt, but it was clear to me as a kid and even more so now, that Howliday Inn as the most developed w
Lynn DiFerdinando
Ok I know it's silly that I gave this 5 stars. It's not an award-winning peace of writing. And yet I've loved it since I was a kid and I love it still. Why? I don't know. This book is wonderful. Whenever I feel down, I go and read this book and I feel better. That is MY definition of a five-star worthy book, and this book certainly deserves it.
Skylar Burris
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I guess my daughter liked this quite a bit; it’s the first chapter book she’s persuaded me to read her in one sitting. It has suspense for the kids, and a lot of amusing literary jokes for the adults.
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous animals + Hamlet jokes. How can you go wrong?
Tracy Hall
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in third grade and could not get enough of it I read it so much that I actually could no longer keep the book held together and have been on the hunt for all the books in the series ever since I finally found them today all in one volume
Harold, Chester, and Howie are at it again and once more Bunnicula is just in the wings. The Monroe's are away on a vacation, and somehow seem perfectly comfortable leaving their pets at the very boarding location that before nearly resulted in dognapping and police intervention. It's safe now, you say? Not so fast. Terror always awaits in the Bunnicula books, as well as delicious mysteries and very heartwarming twists and turns.

Once more in Chataeu Bow-Wow, the gang encounters a new cast of fas
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Allison Fraclose for

Once again, the Monroes are going on vacation, and Harold and Chester find themselves back at Chateau Bow-wow.

Of the three pets (not including Bunnicula, who again gets to stay with friends rather than at the creepy "Howliday Inn"), only Howie the dachshund puppy is excited to be there, since it is, after all, where he was born. Harold and Chester, however, are understandably wary of the place, given that, the last time they were there, they had
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and Bunnicula fans
Return to Howliday Inn is really very similar to its predecessor, Howliday Inn. Our protagonists stay at a boarding kennel and meet with some unusual characters and strange mysteries. But even with the similarities, it is not unoriginal. It does tell its own story and is cute and creative. The characters are very likable and the ending is satisfying. For me, this is still one of the better Bunnicula sequels.
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the third book in the Bunnicula series that does not focus on and only barely mentions the titicular character and star, Bunnicula.

This book was actually far more entertaining than I had expected.
It's made for the child audience yet I could see teens and young adults who enjoy animals to be swept up into the world of Bunnicula and the wild adventures of Chester and Harold and their friends.

I've been aware of the animated TV show and thought it was a unique kids show design, I haven't
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this sequel to Howliday Inn more than the original.

Harold, Chester and Howie (one of the Dachshund puppies born in the original book) return to stay at Howliday Inn because their family is again on vacation. All are unhappy with the pet boarding place. The food is "gruel and unusual punishment" as one of the animals notes.

Again swept into a mystery, the animals overcome obstacles to help other pets at the boarding place.

The story is told with humor and affection.
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
This is a very creative Juvenile-level series which holds a place in my heart. It centers around a vampire bunny named Bunnicula, who sucks the juice out of vegetables. The main characters are the Monroe family and their pets, and the series is told from the perspective of Harold, the family dog. The premise of the first book is Chester, the family cat, trying to convince Harold that Bunnicula is a vampire and that they must save their humans from him.

-Miss Emily
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Harold, Chester, and Howie return to the kennel of Howie's birth, they find themselves haunted by mystery once more. The other guests of the animal boarding facility prove as unique and amusing as always, and they come together to understand supernatural warnings before it becomes too late for one of their own.
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been enjoying reading these books to my children. This is one I never read as a youth so it was fun to see the mystery continue at Chateau BowWow. There was an old friend and a cast of eccentric new ones. This book was tender too, brought a little tear to my eye.
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read these on a day trip to Cape Cod. So much fun, and made a very enjoyable day even more enjoyable!
Ms. Finley
I think this was my least favorite of the series so far... It was so sad in parts.
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Howliday Inn, but still good fun with our favorite characters Harold the Dog and Chester the Cat.
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the third Bunnicula book I have read and loved. This one you really shouldn't read without reading Howliday Inn first. There are many references back to the first without a lot of explanation - even I had to search my memory a little to have everything make sense.

Part of me was disappointed by the book description by the book description. Jill and Dr. Greenbriar were supposed to make things better, a lot better, and the description made it sound as if they failed. Things were not worse i
Kathy Davie
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Fifth in the Bunnicula children’s series, Return to Howliday Inn sees Chester, Howard, and Howie back to Chateau Bow-wow when the Monroes take a vacation. It’s a paranormal experience for the three pets when bones talk, disembodied voices speak, and mysteries require solving. What is the dread secret that threatens them all? Why hasn’t Hamlet’s Archie returned for him yet? What happened to Rosebud? And what is this breakfast of paste-and-kitty-litter-pudding? It’s gruel and unusual punishment is ...more
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
We've been working our way slowly through the Bunnicula series by James Howe and our girls just love them. The stories are just scary enough, with endings that show that nothing was what it seemed and there was nothing to be frightened of after all.

This story takes us back to Chateau Bow-Wow for more fun and scares at the kennel. This is another story without Bunnicula, and it makes me wonder just a little bit why the series is called "Bunnicula" when most of the tales don't feature him at all
Sammy Holthaus
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
It wasn't the best book I've read, but it's not half bad and surprisingly a little creepy. It's an easy, quick, read. If you need to get a book done and such little time to, this is the book for you. The Monroe's are a family of 4. They also haves many pets, including 2 dogs, Howie, and Harold, a bunny, Bunnicula, and a cat named Chester. But this story is only based on 3 of the pets, and the narration of Harold. The family has decided they would like to go on a vacation somewhere, but can't bri ...more
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Unlike the other Bunnicula books I've read to my niece, I didn't have this one as a kid and had never read it. Maybe for that reason, I found it much the scariest of the lot, and also the most poignant. (My niece, on the other hand, didn't seem the slightest bit bothered by the grisly image of disinterred bones, and didn't seem particuarly touched by the ending, though she loved it as she always loves "Chester books".) I wish there had been more for Howie to do (he was more entertaining in The C ...more
This book is somewhat different from the other Bunnicula books - while the humor and creepiness are there as usual, there is also a lot of heart in this book. The latter third of the book was surprisingly touching, cementing this books place as one of the best Bunnicula books.

It also breaks the formula in other ways. For starters, Chester is no longer the crazy one coming up with outlandish theories - all of the animals wholeheartedly believe in the paranormal around them. The animals also behav
Courtney Umlauf
Another fun addition to the Bunnicula series, with the pets heading back to the dreaded Chateau Bow-Wow, also known as Howliday Inn, where there's sure to be a dangerous mystery afoot. Will Harold and Chester make it until the Monroes return? Or will they succumb to the dreaded Secret of Chateau Bow-Wow?

Series Review | TpT Store | Pinterest
*snif* I finally moved this to the "read" list, because I did read it 30 years ago. Doubtful I will be finishing it again now, because even though we started it back on December 13 apparently, L hasn't had me crack it open since approximately December 17, and I guess her days of bedtime stories from mom are over. *snif*

K is still going strong with stories from Falk, though.

Those 6-8 daytime read-alouds will have to console me. ;D
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
One of many series I been wanting to catch up on. As kids book series go, this has been pretty good so far. I remember reading Bunnicula but not the other books. Though the covers for these, especially Howliday Inn I remember being a little creepy.

Now having finally getting around to finishing this series, I kind of like it. The illustrations in some of the chapters are drawn really well.

Another good sequel in this series.
Anne Holly
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: belongs-to-tot
This installment is a bit longer and less funny than the others, but it was very touching. I think I enjoyed this one more than my 7yo did, though, as he seemed to prefer The Celery Stalks at Midnight, which was more of a crazed romp than this. In this one, the "mystery" never really gelled for me, but it has a lot of heart - and even a few tears, maybe.

Note: Dates read are approximate, as I am updating after the fact.
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
Normally I wouldn't include books like this, however it met the criterion of being over 100 pages so...

It was a "gift" to the kids which we read so we could pass it on. The story was lame. I'm not really into talking animals, I guess. There were some smart-assed bits (for example, two mischievious cats named Felony and Miss Demeanor) which were cheesy but added some punches into a very dull story. I won't even bother going into it. Beckett liked it, though.
  • Totally Disgusting
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher Is an Alien, #4)
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • I, Houdini
  • Strider (Leigh Botts, #2)
  • Misty Morgan
  • The Trouble with Tuck
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • Ereth's Birthday (Dimwood Forest, #3)
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #1)
  • The Ghost Sitter

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi
More about James Howe...

Bunnicula (7 books)
  • Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1)
  • Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • Bunnicula Strikes Again! (Bunnicula, #6)
  • Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow (Bunnicula, #7)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99