Start by marking “Донеси ми главата на принца (Аззи, #1)” as Want to Read:
Донеси ми главата на принца (Аззи, #1)

Донеси ми главата на принца

(Millennial Contest #1)

A riotous new fantasy series that will challenge the funniest the field has to offer--from the creator of the bestselling Amber series and one of the genre's legendary humorists. Azzy Elbub, demon, has his sights set on the Millenial Evil Deeds Award, given to the being whose acts do the most toward reshaping the world. But his evil plans go far astray. . . .
Paperback, 1-во издание, 270 pages
Published 1992 by Абагар (first published December 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about Донеси ми главата на принца

Start your review of Донеси ми главата на принца (Аззи, #1)
Evgeny
Oct 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Yes, you see it right: it is a book written by Roger Zelazny and I gave it just one star. As to the plot it was so bad I just shamelessly copied a sentence from the book blurb: "Azzy Elbub, demon, has his sights set on the Millenial Evil Deeds Award, given to the being whose acts do the most toward reshaping the world." The less is said about it the better.

Roger Zelazny is a Master of sci-fi and fantasy (with a capital M). If you have not read anything from him - run, do not walk to the nearest
Robert Kemp
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memorable and hilariously original!

I read this book while I was studying Grimm's Fairy Tales and that may be the perfect way to experience the story. It was really fun to hop back and forth between the old-school fairy tales and their modern parody. With the world being as dark as it is, it was really refreshing to read a story poking fun at the idea of good and evil.

If the state of the world is getting you down pick up this book!
Liz
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This book could have been a whole lot better. Okay, so basic principle is that there's a contest once every millenium between the forces of Dark and Light. The entry that ends up influencing the world the most wins its side the right to have the more predominant charge of man. A demon, Azzie Elbub, decides to enter this contest to create a fairytale gone wrong. But bureaucracy gets in the way, time and time again...

The biggest problem here was that I couldn't work out how this one little fairyta
Catherina Zhecheva
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A little slow in the beginning, but once all of the characters are introduced, the fun begins. I find this trilogy original and witty, it reminds me a bit of "Good Omens" by Pratchett and Gaiman.
Still, the ending was a somewhat disappointing, as were most of the climatic moments. With all the fuzz, you would expect a more spectacular closure to the major conflicts. There were several moments in the book, where I didn't feel convinced, I know it should be funny, not authentic, but I felt like the
Jim
Well, once again I tried reading Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming(Millennial Contest, #1)by Roger Zelazny & Robert Sheckley. No go. I like both authors separately & might like them together, but the book is supposed to be humorous & I just don't find it funny. I managed maybe 100 pages & just put it down from sheer lack of will to pick it back up.
Mark
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two authors collaborate on a bit of fluff. Both authors are fine writers so the individual sentences flow smoothly but overall the book never develops a heart. It reads like a bunch of concepts they found funny while drinking together, but after the drinking bout neither took enough ownership to create a sharp point or graceful story arc for the book.
Nighteye
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-but-read
Funny at times and enjoyable, a bit macabre at times but a fast nice read. Not particularly found of reading about demons but this worked.
Dru
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I could go on a diatribe of great length about this book, but I believe the point will be made if I keep this short and sweet:

This book reads like a 4th grader wrote it.

'Nuff said.
Candice
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh now this was just an utter deLIGHT! There are sequels! Be right back.
Alazzar
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew Roger Zelazny was my favorite author the moment I read the Amber series, but that was back when I didn't do a whole lot of reading, so I never really delved into his other works. I've since started checking out more of his stuff, and the title and back cover of this book were more than enough to get me sucked in.

For starters, Zelazny's voice is like no other. Even if one of his stories were dull, I'm pretty sure I would enjoy it just because of the way he writes. His characters are always
Anushka Haakonson
Bring Me The Head of Prince Charming begins just before the start of the millenium, the first one, not the Y2K one. The powers of Darkness and Light are having their turn of the millenium contest to see who will rule the next 1000 years. The anti-hero is the demon Azzie, who stages a garbled version of the classic fairytale 'Sleeping Beauty' to prove evil's case. His only real competition is Good's entry, Gothic Cathedrals, so Azzie stands an excellent chance of winning even as he's hampered by ...more
Alejandro Jovandro
I'm going to skip read-the-book-first-and-then-comment because I've read it 3 times already, an unbelieveably funny novel (don't read its sequels, horrible!). You can imagine my genuine happiness when I stepped in my local library, not looking for anything in particular and then finding this book. Finally in English. Plus the fact that the book has been out of print for quite some time now.

Anyway, if you by any chance happen to cross paths with this novel, be sure to give it a try.
Wash your hands.
Nov 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear god this was boring, I fought it to 20% and abandoned it. People who think this is like hitch hikers or Pratchett are sorely mistaken I'm afraid. The crux of the problem is that it's clearly not finished, perhaps there was a deadline? The basic plot is there but a lot of the language and prose feels like ideas or holding sentences written by a 15 year old who thinks they are a lot funnier than they really are.
Ivan Stoikov - Allan Bard
Great humour! Great thoughts too! A parody of most of the well-known fairy-tales, a book written with great imagination, but also a book that could make anyone think about the difference between good and evil and why good is actually better than evil...
John Barclay
This had a lot of fun ideas in it, but in the end was a bit of a let down. Nothing really wrong, but not nearly as funny or clever or sharp as I would have expected from as great a writer as Zelazny.
Thomas
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zelazny, Roger, and Robert Sheckley. Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming. Millennial Contest No. 1. Bantam, 1991.
About a year after Neil Gaiman Terry Pratchett collaborated very successfully on Good Omens, Roger Zelazny and Robert Sheckley began what would become a trilogy of similar novels. In Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming, a demon hopes to win infernal fame by outdoing the forces of good in a contest held every thousand years to determine which side would control humanity for the next
Patrick Scheele
I won't be reading the sequels. The best part of this book was the title, it had my imagination running wild with the possibilities of a brave fairytale prince being chased by all kinds of evil. But alas, there are no good characters in this book. The prince and princess were just average humans, out for their own good and uncaring for the good of others. Also, the representative of the forces of good, some angel, actually helped the evil demon guy in setting up his play, willfully risking a tho ...more
Mary
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure why this has such low ratings on here, except that it may not be the *best* of Zelazny (well, something has to be the best, but that doesn’t mean the rest are bad, right? Maybe that’s the point of the book, too) but I don’t think it deserves such low ratings.
Zelazny is a master of poking fun at fantasy tropes, while simultaneously using the same tropes to his advantage. This book is hilarious, and smart with its sharp observations on the natures of Good and Evil.
I will admit thoug
Alanna
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Bring Me The Head Of Prince Charming' has a great concept, if somewhat resembling Good Omens. It's one of those books that I couldn't get out of, I had the pleasure of sitting and reading it for several hours at once. Some of the humor was crude, which is why I'm taking off a star for this rating, but it was written well and was intelligent otherwise.
Marika Kyselova
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, very funny. It helped me so much during stressful period not to think just enjoy funny comedy world. At the same time it is very cute, like a fairy tale with some parts that made me think about humans and how we think. A little bit of philosophy, psychology, a lot of fun and fantasy. Just loved it
Lokie Doll
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting concept, and (mostly) well written characters. I was very excited avout this book, but to be honest, I felt Azzie's frustration the whole time and, while immersing, it did not make for a great experience. The ending was pretty disappointing, but I'm hoping that will get picked up in the next book
Ericka
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, not-my-fave
This book was at best mediocre. This is the second Zelazny book I've tried to read and didn't like, so I suspect that this author just isn't for me.

The idea sounded interesting, but I think Good Omens is a better "demons vs angels using human pawns" story.
Ondrej Sykora
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Easy & relaxing read. Sadly, the Czech translation could be a lot better. ...more
Nimrod Perez
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious and engaging fantasy book, recommended
Eran Weiss
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a very funny book
P D
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely of its time, a fun read nevertheless.
Amber
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing, but meandering. It didn't seem to have a central plot and left a lot of threads untied at the end
Tim
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this back in the 90s. So funny. I want to read it again someday.
Sam Kabo Ashwell
This reads very much like Zelazny Does Nanowrimo. Or, to put it another way, if you wanted to argue the (unfair) point that Zelazny was just an older, crappier Terry Pratchett, this would be an excellent book on which to base your argument.

There's the usual Zelazny juxtaposition of stock fantasy elements with irreverent modern style and whatever else he feels like. And again, there's the usual feeling that the plot is charging along in a series of arbitrary vignettes without very much overarchin
Verity Brown
The book's premise is as amusing as one might expect from the title--it's the year 1000, and the millennial contest between the forces of Good and Evil to see who will control the fate of mankind for the next thousand years is shaping up. The demon Azzie comes up with the idea for a perfect winning entry: a fairy-tale gone badly wrong. But assembling all the pieces (and the characters--literally, Frankenstein-style) doesn't go so well for him either.

This book was pretty much as funny as I hoped
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Son of a Liche (The Dark Profit Saga, #2)
  • Untouched By Human Hands
  • Вий
  • Maigret in Montmartre (Inspector Maigret #36)
  • Стопанката на Господ
  • Вечера на хуторе близ Диканьки. Повести
  • The Unadulterated Cat
  • Енеїда
  • Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)
  • Mister God, This is Anna
  • Денежное дерево
  • New Folks' Home: And Other Stories (The Complete Short Fiction of Clifford D. Simak Book 6)
  • The World That Couldn't Be
  • The Thing in the Stone: And Other Stories (The Complete Short Fiction of Clifford D. Simak Book 12)
  • Inspector Hobbes and the Blood (Unhuman #1)
  • The Chinese Bell Murders (Judge Dee (Chronological order) #8)
  • Orconomics (The Dark Profit Saga, #1)
  • Murder at the Mena House
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more

Millennial Contest (3 books)
  • If at Faust You Don't Succeed (Millennial Contest, #2)
  • A Farce to Be Reckoned With (Millennial Contest, #3)