Start by marking “Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga” as Want to Read:
Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga

Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga (Bones #6-8)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  311 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
When mankind is visited by Three Great Apocalypses, the only thing standing in their way is a feckless but loyal, easily distracted yet occasionally ferocious German shepherd named Bones, a one-time cadaver dog with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police. This is his amazing story.

In Bones, our hero must battle a plague of dangerous parasites that brings the dead back to life wi
Kindle Edition
Published by Amazon Digital Services (first published October 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones

Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
When you read a lot of post-apocalyptic books, you are always on the lookout for that book that brings a little something different to the end of the world. Bones does exactly that. Bones is the main character and point of view for this triple post-apocalyptic book….and oh yeah, he is also a police cadaver dog. That’s right, the end of the world is from man’s best friend’s point of view!

I have to give props to Mark Wheaton for coming up with this concept in the first place…Who comes up with the
Caleb Luplow
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It gives a different perspective than most books, while still maintaining a realistic sense. The character building is perfect. Everyone comes and goes, but it feels like you've known them for a very long time. The book is not short on action either. Just when you feel like things couldn't become more intense, the situation escalates exponentially. I may be a bit biased. Bones is a veteran police German Shepherd. I had a German Shepherd that was a police dog as well ...more
Joanne Moyer
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy contains 3 stories about Bones, a police cadaver dog and how he makes his way through 3 apocalypse like happenings. While maybe not the best book(s) I ever read I never lost interest and you will want to stick it out to see what happens to Bones in the end. The 'trilogy' contains a prequel called "Mongrel" which is a story of Bones when he was younger and on the police force. I enjoyed it too and would read any others if they come along.
Greg
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those, "OMG, I need some sleep but I can't put this book down..." books. If you're a dog lover, zombie hater, a hopeful Los Angeles earthquake survivor or just like a good 99.99% pandemic, these books are for you. But mostly if you're a dog lover...
Laura Thomas
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’m a huge fan of apocalyptic and dystopian stories so I knew right away I wanted to read this book. I also like it when there is an animal featured and Bones, the cadaver dog, has a starring role.

He isn’t your ordinary search and rescue dog. His first owner saw something feral in Bones and trained him accordingly. And this comes in handy for many of the survivors he encounters on his journeys.

There are three stories with a new threat to humanity in each one. From zombies that morph into somethi
Angie
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mark-wheaton
I absolutely loved this book. There were 9 stories in this with each one focusing on a different case in Bones live. Bones is a police dog, trained to sniff out dead bodies but he is just so much more than that. His police handler who trained him from a puppy, officer Lionel Oudin, we find out in tale no. 5 gave him additional training.
In the first tale Bitch we find out just how much of an independent dog Bones is. He decides that a little dog named Bitch needs help in taking out a group of dr
Jenessa David
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: survival-eotw
Ideally, I'd give this book 4.5 stars instead.

The 'First Apocalypse' is what initially drew me in and in the end did not disappoint. Bones is a cadaver dog dealing with the zombie apocalypse and the fact that these corpses he's used to finding are suddenly getting up and trying to eat him. It's a superbly unique idea, and then add on the fact that these aren't your average zombies and they have a very interesting origin story. Just awesome.

The next two apocalypses were slightly less interestin
Sato
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Luca
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
An entertaining series of horror/disaster vignettes with a very talented (if not always very bright) cadaver dog at the center. The protagonist Bones is often more of a throughline into the stories of other characters, but Wheaton excels at giving you a derpy dog's POV when Bones gets to shine. The author's three-pronged vision of the apocalypse is fascinating as his cold cynicism mingles with thoroughly researched trivia of all sorts. Bones' final moments are real tearjerkers for dog-lovers, bu ...more
Seekordsiis
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Gory, grisly and stomach-turning as well as tragic and, above all, inventive. Excellent post-apocalyptic book, A+ descriptions of very different characters reactions to inhumane circumstances.

Will surprise one in a BIG way already after the first pages, with an unexpected plot wist, and get even crackier as the story rolls on. Definitely more of a horror than a zombie book, and most surely not "classic" zombie lit. Id say that the begining of the apocalyptic story (zombies!) is maybe the weakes
H.L. Reasby
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. As an animal lover, and an owner of a German Shepherd, I definitely connected with Bones. There were many times that even though I knew there were further stories with Bones in them in the book, I was genuinely worried for Bones' safety.

**The editing in the third novella and the final short story get a little rough, so perhaps the author might go back and do another pass on them sometime. It didn't hugely impact my enjoyment of the stories, but it did jar me now and
Chris
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I had reviewed this book collection when I finished it a couple months back, but there it was on my to Read list, when it should have been finished. At this point, all I will say is that the main character is a dog, and you observe the end of the world (Zombie Apocalypse) through his eyes in a number of stories that intertwine together. The end of the book was quite poigniant and made me tear up a bit, which does not happen in a book for me typically. If you have owned a dog, then you ...more
Randy Evans
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cadaver dog with the Pittsburg Police Dept, a German Shepherd by the name of "Bones" is at the center of three Apocalyptic interwoven novellas and a prequel short story. All are fast reads full of action as this brave dog saves those he is able to. These are stories of a hero dog in a world gone mad. I understand there are other novels out there about the dog character named Bones and I plan to read every one. A dog lover must read.
Dave
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three novellas then a very short novelita at the end. Quick reads of various apocalyptic settings, some connected. Insight into the mind of a police-trained dog, its skills, interaction with its handler and also bad guys. Contains episodes of violent gore, some stories had quite a lot of characters to follow. Not quite page-turning. More entertaining if you read one novella, then let it sit for a while before moving onto the next. Otherwise, you might get dog tired.
Traci
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading an apocalypse story with the main character being a dog. Wheaton did a good job developing the stories and I liked how he took the now much used (but still loved) plot of zombies and turned it into something of his own. There were a few spots where typos popped out at me, but they were minor and I was able to still enjoy the story.
Michael Roper
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was a good read and I did really enjoy that most of the story was form the view of the dog which offered a different outlook on something that could have been run of the mill. I did feel that some parts where a little unsurprising though and I did wise it was a little longer to give the characters more time to developed.
Jim Brown
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, 2014
Very good book

An apocalyptic store with a dog as the main character. The idea when I read it was well executed. All the stories tie together and I loved it. I would recommend this to others. If you like end of world stories and like dogs th ok s is for you. Well written good character development.
M. Jones
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, really pushes the zombie genre and introduces us to a fascinating perspective--that of a canine struggling to survive along with his human brethren. A big thumbs up for dog fans and zombie fans alike. Great writing and a fantastic premise!
Roxi
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone

A post apocalyptic story, mostly seen through the eyes of an amazing German Shepherd police dog. A brilliant perspective on an "end of the world" zombie and animals gone wild narrative. A great read.
Beth
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent dog story!

What a unique and multifaceted story! The main character being a dog, surviving an apocalypse. Even though it was a rather gruesome story, it had me crying at the end.
Ruth Casey May
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Great read!

This a good dog story combined with a disaster, lots of action! I liked this story so much I'm going to have to read his other books. Hope he writes more abou Bones, or even another dog survivor!!
Megan
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
While this new take on an apocalypse survivor is a really fresh and interesting take on the genre, it all needed a fire editor to fix some sentence structures and condense the material. Therefore, the plot was good, but the writing could have been better.
Jill Sulak
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved the different take with the POV. Highly recommend.
Emily
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012

Freaking awesome, could not put it down. Great if you enjoy mystery/scfi/horror all in one!
Betsy
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this book and didn't want it to end.
Cindy
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
James Herbert want to be. Lack of character development and continuity.
Riayl
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dog as main character. Zombie-things. Earthquakes. Apocalypse. And more.

What's not to like? This was fun and gross and sad and really good!
Mark
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me that it is possible to really enjoy a book and still give it 3 stars. I enjoyed Bones very much, but I'm not really sure why
Erin
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was okay.... I think it's geared for way young adult.
Allison Mackay
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Needs proofreading

Bones is a good read but unfortunately the distracting typos and grammatical errors make it less than great. An A for effort though.
  • Dead Things
  • Year of the Dead
  • Sugar Scars
  • The Beginning (Precipice, #1)
  • Frostwalker
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 205
  • A Father's Quest (What Zombies Fear, #1)
  • Wormwood (Wormwood #1)
  • Sleepers (sleepers, #1)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Half Past Midnight
  • The Dying of the Light: End (The Dying of the Light, #1)
  • Eaters: The Beginning
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • The Zombies: Volume One
  • Scream Angel
  • Among the Dead and Dying (Among the Masses Book 1)
Mark Wheaton is the bestselling author of Thomas & Mercer's Fr. Chavez series about a priest solving crimes in Los Angeles. He has also worked as a screenwriter ("Friday the 13th," "The Messengers,"), comic book scribe (Dark Horse's "The Cleaners"), and video game writer for Vivendi/Sierra.
More about Mark Wheaton...

Bones (5 books)
  • Bitch (Three Bones Shorts)
  • Hellhound: A Bones Adventure