Start by marking “Deeper” as Want to Read:
Deeper

Deeper (The Descent #2)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  1,715 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews

Hell exists. It is a real, geological, historical place beneath our very feet. And it is inhabited savagely.

In an intense and imaginative tour de force, New York Times bestselling author Jeff Long takes readers into the depths of the earth where a primordial intelligence waits in the darkness.

A decade has passed since doomed explorers unveiled a nightmare of tunnels

Published August 21st 2007 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2007)

Jason
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
3 Stars

I loved the Descent book one in this series by Jeff Long and have put off reading this book for quite a long time. It is a fun and easy page turner that does not live up to the first book. This book does not have the tension, the scary moments, and it lacks the magic of discovery that The Descent had in spades. It does a nice job at moving the story 10 years further on and creates some very plausible outcomes of Humans versus Hadal's.

The story telling and the interview chapters with the A
Kevin
The Descent was a modern Jules Verne for adults. Its sequel, however, is a supernatural fantasy through and through. The antagonist is an immortal fallen angel yearning to escape his underworld prison. Prominent roles are played by souls that linger and speak to the living. Make no mistake: Deeper is a different animal than its predecessor.

If you're still interested, then know that Ali and Ike (apart, not together) reprise their roles as heroes of the story. You'll travel through the dark interi
Julia
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I didn't love this book they way I loved it's prequel The Descent. The first book was more of an adventure/exploration story, going down into the earth and discovering the Hadal's civilization. This one delved more into the identity of "satan" or the being trapped in the earth. He apparently has supernatural powers, but is unable to leave his prison. So he lures travelers and pilgrims to his lair, where he either tortures and kills them, or takes them on as a temporary disciple.

The story criss c
Tina
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, hardcover
'Deeper' holds a difficult position: as the sequel to one of the decade's most shocking and imaginative horror novels, it creates very high expectations in its readers. It is hard for such a book to fulfil them, and disgruntled, disappointed fans are almost given.
In my opinion, 'Deeper' is a logical continuation of the original material. While it is true that Long abandons the scientific concepts introduced in 'The Descent' in favour of the religious and even supernatural, I have to admit that -
Sirvinya
I read the first book, The Descent right at the end of last year so when I found there was a sequel I had to read it straight away. I found Descent gripped me all the way through so I was hoping the same would be true for this one.

Immediately, this lacked the "edge of your seat" suspense and horror that the previous book did. The bulk of this takes place 10 years after the end of The Descent. The underworld is available for exploitation but only nervous nibbles are taking place.

(view spoiler)
Traci
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror

I've waited a long time for this book and I wasn't disappointed. It's not often that a sequel is better than the original but Jeff Long's sequel to The Descent is better and more terrifying than the first.
Phair
Aug 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed The Descent but this follow-up was just plain nasty. Too much religious babble. Also had too much blood, gore, angst, torture, gore, evil, greed and more gore with no real pay-off. Seems like a set-up for yet another round below ground. Sadly disappointing.
Carmen
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long is a wonderful writer, but I thought this book would never end.

It was good to revisit the main characters from The Descent. However, passion and interest-grabbing momentum just aren't present in this sequel. What this story has in abundance are gratuitous violence and death, violation, and a boring and all too human fallen angel.
Ed
Jun 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all adventure and horror enthusiasts
Recommended to Ed by: have read some of his other works
only complaint was that the author has too many sub-plots and it can be distracting
Melinda
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do not read while pregnant/hormonally challenged.
Eija
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Helvetin sydän" on jatkoa "Helvetin piireille". "Helvetin piirien" lukemisesta oli kulunut aikaa, mutta kärryille pääsi ihan hyvin ilman muistinvirkistystäkin ja kirjan pystyy muutenkin lukemaan ihan yksittäisenä teoksena, vaikka suotavaa on ensimmäisen osan lukeminen ensin.

Kirja kertoo maanalaisesta maailmasta, jota asuttavat hadaalit, ihmisistä erkaantunut julma laji. Syöverissä majailee vankina metkujaan hautomassa ja toteuttamassa itse Saatana, langennut enkeli. Vihjailtiin, että vielä syve
Elliot Baker
Not the best follow up. The descent was one of my all time favorite books. It blended action and adventure with horror so well. Deeper is the follow up. The author decided to go a different route with this one. It's still a better than average read, but it lacks the horrific punch the first book had.
Jacob Lynch august
I was disappointed that Long deviated from his original novel, The Descent, which at its core attempted scientific reasoning to the easily misunderstood underworld, and allowed truly supernatural entities to enter his mythos.
Deirdre
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a sequel to Long's earlier book The Descent. I loved that book and I loved this one as well. In fact I re-read it almost immediately after finishing it.
Elton
Jun 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthy sequel to The Descent.
Esteban LV
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this 2 times, I think, and the first part, The Descent, I can't remember how many times.

What did Ike do to deserve that? And that stupid, simpleton idiot with a sniper rifle, infuriating! Clemens is OK, a great villain that thinks much of himself but in reality is just a pawn... As Ike. Hunter is a copypaste of the Helios leader... Shoat? No, Shoat was the governor's son... What was his name?

But to the review: a great novel, not as much as the previous one, obviously, but decent enough
Donovan
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to 'The Descent'. After reading the first novel in a matter of days I went straight out and bought this and it did not let me down or fail to deliver. All the claustrophobia is there as well as new and interesting (if not fantastic) characters make you re-evaluate your initial thoughts of The Descent. I couldn't put this down and finished it within days like I did the first.

Plot ***Spoilers***
While tensions between the United States and China increase on the surface, sub-plane
Brent Morrison
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved both books that make up this story. Truly original and thought provoking ideas about the nature of hell and evil and so on. The Descent was maybe a bit better only because the tension and sense of discovery was ramped up so high. This one also bogged down a bit with the whole "crusade" plotline...although at first I dismissed it as ridiculous and unlikely that Rebecca would inspire such loyalty, on further thought and knowing how humans can get carried away on waves of hype an ...more
Donna L. Snyder
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth the wait!

It's been a very long time since I last read a book that I would consider giving a perfect score to. The first book of this series (The Descent) hooked me right away. After I read it I couldn't wait to get (Deeper: A Novel.). It was as fascinating as I thought it would be. It was wonderful to have two books that made me feel like I was right there where all the action was. I would give it 100 stars if I was able. I'm actually kind of sad that I just finished it. Anyway, now I
Roger Ley
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
An excellent book, very well written. The science didn't work big time. Having dark cities deep under the Earth with no explanation as to how the ecosystem worked to sustain life, nor why the tunnels didn't fill up with water was just something I had to live with. Once I decided not to let that worry me it was fine. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Chris Marshall
I struggled to read this book. The description was a bit misleading saying that creatures came from hell, instead they were humans born of the deep.
It could have been my fault that I hadn't realised that this book was also a sequel, but still I just couldn't get into this book.
Mark Taylor
Not as good as the first one, but not too bad.
Cindy
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Reuter
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of reviewers who loved The Descent seem to have picked up Deeper only to be disappointed. Which is understandable, because The Descent was primarily a thriller grounded in reality with just a few religious/spiritual overtones sprinkled here and there, and Deeper is the opposite. For example, Satan is an actual character who directs much of the action.

Personally I loved the new, more supernatural direction the story went. Hearing Satan discuss his life and the history of humanity was fascin
Claire
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book, after falling in love with "The Descent" and having to go straight out and read the sequel afterwards. I loved the start of this. I was a little disappointed Ike and Ali were in the book apart and that we don't see much of Ike, he was always my favourite, but I loved the new storyline and the directions it took. I loved the way the plot was so fractured and went off in many different ways, the same as The Descent. However, this starts to get lost about half way th ...more
Chris
Where the first book was an interesting combination of sci-fi and horror, I feel like the second one dove too deeply into fantasy/supernatural elements. That being said, it was compelling throughout and the scattering of social commentary/satirical elements was an interesting addition.
Edward H. Busse, III
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-owned
NO SPOILERS!! One word…wow. What a story…the characters were so finely detailed…the environment so vividly described…the premise so very tantalizing. I loved this book - the writing was excellent and the story well laid out. Every page brought something that made me turn to the the next page and the next and the next. The idea that for millions of years there's been a race of creatures/people below the earth's surface and they have a society and they've lost themselves time and time again…pretty ...more
Traummachine
3.5 stars:

After re-reading what is probably my favorite thriller ever (The Descent), I was pretty excited to turn around and read this sequel. Jeff Long's writing style changed quite a bit over the years, so I wasn't sure what to expect. He went from lots of action combined with strange supernatural ideas, to surreal and dreamy with strange supernatural ideas.

What I got was really both styles combined. At the beginning it feels very much liked its predecessor, with plenty of action/violence/char
Andy Phillips
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: underground
This is a sequel to 'The Descent' and follows several years after the events of the first novel. Read that book first if you haven't already, partly because it sets the scene for this one and partly because it's great. SPOILERS FOLLOW if you haven't read the first book.

By the time of this story it is widely accepted that the Hadals existed underground for thousands of years, but that they were wiped out during the events of 'The Descent'. Of course, they are not extinct, as becomes apparent very
Amy
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
PB/Horror/Thriller: The is the sequel to The Descent. I enjoyed The Descent and was looking forward to this book. While it was really good in places, it really missed the mark in others. The Descent was so much more believable and suspenseful. Deeper had issues, with time, travel time one point to another, gravity, and character development. Ali and Ike, who were so developed in the first book, were so empty in this one. Then there was the problems with Satan and the whole hell analogy. I zoned ...more
  • The Promised War (Sam Deker, #1)
  • Wild Blood
  • Deeper
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
  • Silverhair (Mammoth, #1)
  • Dead White
  • Bestiary
  • Johnny Gruesome
  • Benighted
  • Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival
  • High Cotton: Selected Stories
  • In Blackness (Book 1)
  • First Evidence
  • The Infinite (Harrow House, #3)
  • Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #1.5)
  • Grim Reaper: End of Days
  • The Wells Of Hell
  • The Templar Throne (Templar, #3)

The Descent (2 books)
  • The Descent

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Color Me Murder (Pen & Ink)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fight Dirty (Renegade Justice, #1)
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Professor (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99