Start by marking “The Hallowed Hunt (World of the Five Gods, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hallowed Hunt (World of the Five Gods, #3)

The Hallowed Hunt

(World of the Five Gods (Publication) #3)

A magnificent epic tale of devotion, possession, obsession, and strange destiny from the author of the Hugo Award-winning Paladin of Souls, Lois McMaster Bujold.

The half-mad Prince Boleso has been slain by a noblewoman he had intended to defile -- and Lord Ingrey kin Wilfcliff must transport the body to its burial place and the accused killer, the Lady Ijada, to judgment.
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Hallowed Hunt, please sign up.
Nirkatze I read Curse of Chalion years ago and don't remember it. The Hallowed Hunt is the first book to take place chronologically in the world so I decided t…moreI read Curse of Chalion years ago and don't remember it. The Hallowed Hunt is the first book to take place chronologically in the world so I decided to start my reread of the world there. It is a contained story and does a good introduction to the world. So, short story: no, not necessary to read the others first.(less)
Kostas You can, but you might like it more if you read it later.

Start your review of The Hallowed Hunt (World of the Five Gods, #3)
Clouds
The general consensus regarding The Hallowed Hunt seems to be "good, but not as good as the first two." I disagree.

My twee summary would be "greater than the sum of it's parts." The Hallowed Hunt is a complex beast (excuse the pun) and leans more heavily on expositional dialogue than is Bujold's usual practice, but I found this theosophical adventure both engaging and rewarding.

Due to the aura of disappointment palpable in the cumulative body of Goodreads reviews, I was reluctant to start this o
Bradley
This third book is much the same and significantly different than the others, so much so that they're all about the same amount of difference between them while in the same world, but all of them have so much of the same gentleness and levels of extreme intensity. It's very odd to describe, and I'm sorry for making a hash of it, but it's still valid.

The gods are always making a mess of things, and sometimes it's so much worse than we think. Here's to the wolf! And here's to the Horse! Can we rel
Mayim de Vries
“There never was a golden age. It was always only iron.”

The World of the Five Gods is one that the readers get to know slowly. In the “Curse of Chalion” the theological rudiments are delivered, “Paladin of Souls” broadens the vista, and the Hallowed Hunt takes us deeper into the darkness coiling somewhere between the human and divine passions. It is more primal, and less sophisticated story, but nonetheless complex if not as gripping as the other two.

What you can expect is that this book, just l
Gavin
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Hallowed Hunt was another good instalment in the Five Gods series. Just like the first two books in the series the story had a mix of mystery, intrigue, romance, and magic. Bujold favours a sedate pace but still has an engaging writing style. She also has a talent for making it tough to guess which direction the story will take next!

Lord Ingrey kin Wolfcliff has been tasked by his master to collect both the body of Prince Boleso and his murderer and return them to the capitol. One for the fu
Mike (the Paladin)
We have been discussing on a different thread how a person's mood, frame of mind, surroundings etc. might effect their outlook on a book. I'm forced to say, maybe that's so here. I really liked the first in this series of books, it is exceptional as is the second. Each (especially the first The Curse of Chalion) snagged me and dragged me into the story. They held my interest from the first.

Now we come to the third. I could not get into it. The author seeks here to expand further the details of t
Kitty G Books
I have to say... this one felt kind of like a disappointment to me after how much I enjoyed Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls. This one is actually a prequel which is set before the events of the other two, but it was written later on by the author.

In this story we follow Lord Ingrey who is tasked with bringing the Lady Ijada (accused and self-confessed killer of Prince Boleso [a rapist]) to justice. He's supposed to journey with her to the place of her trial, but along the way he starts to
Lightreads
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, romance
Third in her Five Gods universe, dealing with the son. I liked this better a year and a reread later. It is very much a Bujold book, by which I mean that the main character, while operating within the inner circles of power, has some affliction (curse and blessing) which makes him an outsider to the society he works to serve. In this case the affliction is the possession of an animal spirit. Which is why, I think, I enjoyed this book but it did not grab me by the heart and gut like Curse of Chal ...more
Kevin Xu
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand why all the dislike for this book?
Glad that this book wasn't the 1st in the series. If The Hallowed Hunt was the first book McMaster wrote in her World of the Five Gods trilogy, would most people continued on with the series at all to win all those awards and recognition that the first 2 books have?
Di Maitland
4.5*s. This is a very different book to the others in the series. Its plot is more explicitly romantic, its magic shamanistic as oppose to demonic. Going on literary quality alone, it's probably not as strong as the others, but I enjoyed it immensely, probably more than I did Paladin of Souls, and that one won all the awards.

“I was imagining the most bizarre things befalling you.” “Did they include a 600-pound ice bear and a pirate poet?” “No.” “Then they weren’t the most bizarre after all.”
aPriL does feral sometimes
'The Hallowed Hunt' is book three in The World of the Five Gods series. I was enthralled! However, a reader should start with book one The Curse of Chalion to completely understand author Lois McMaster Bujold's magical world building in this unique fantasy.

Each book follows a character introduced in a previous book in the series, so most of the continuity between books is about the world Bujold has invented and the five gods.

The gods are real! There are a variety of rules and rites designed to
Jim
I screwed up & listened to this as the 2d book in the trilogy, not last. I don't think it's that big of a deal since it takes place way before the first two & has nothing but the world in common. I read the first of this trilogy when it came out & then the second, but never got around to this one. The gal that read this was quite a good reader, but different from the other two books.

The first half of the book dragged for me. I almost quit. Way too much description & thinking (exposition) on the
Felicia
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I LOVED the first two books in this series. Like, five stars, MUST READ, loved. I had extremely high hopes for this one, but it just didn't feel very connected to the other two. The plot was pretty stand alone from the previous, and seemed really exposition-y with the animals spirits, taking place in a different region, different characters etc. It started off well but just led to me skipping a lot to the end. I'm not sure what happened, I love this author but would probably recommend sticking t ...more
Jacqueline J
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This one lacked just a little something that the first 2 volumes in this series had. Maybe it was that the main character wasn't quite as engaging or maybe it was that the world building was a little confusing. Maybe it was because the two main characters or the hero and the woman he was interested in didn't solve this thing together. I mean in neither of the first two did the hero and heroine solve the crisis together but here it just seemed like they should have considering how it was set up. ...more
Silvana
Enthralling and magical, The World of Five Gods novels has all the right ingredients: sympathetic main characters that make you want to root for them immediately, intricate magic, steady pacing with very little fluff/padding, and most of all, the horror of ambitious men and women who would do whatever it takes to reach their often morbid goals. Bonus point: Gods in fantasy is one of my pet peeves. Here, their involvement is not annoying at all. I was enraptured, ensnared and bewitched. Definitel ...more
Denise
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little convoluted. I like the World of Five God, but this was not my favorite story. Fortunately each book is a stand alone.
Emma
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve really loved all the books set in this world and i was very fond of Ingrey and Ijada. A beautifully written story with more theosophy than the first two. The world of the five gods is so well conceived and this book has more complexity than the first two. Bujold has done a phenomenal job.
D.G.
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 stars**

What a wonderfully complex book! Lois McMaster Bujold is a master storyteller, waving such intricate plots which she doles out little by little but still leaves some questions to the imagination. I feel like I must read this book again because I'm sure I missed a lot of the subtlety.

I can't go much into details about this story because a) I'm bound to get something wrong and b) I will give spoilers and I think this story is best enjoyed when it's uncovered by the reader. I will say
Emily
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi, audio
2.5 rounded up to 3. Bujold is a great storyteller, but this particular audiobook listen frustrated me, because I had a hard time absorbing the concept of weald magic, which seemed so awkwardly tacked on to the existing world of the five gods. Too much about it had to be explained by the narrative means of characters puzzling things out in their heads, right up to the very end. I also found that over the course of the month or so I spent listening to this, I failed to retain many key plot detail ...more
Cyndi
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure where this book actually fits in the series. If it's a prequel to the Challion books, then they carried none of the knowledge forward. If it's a sequel it's far into the future. Same religion, brief mention of Challion. ???
Anyway, I'm glad I didn't read it first 'cause I never would have read the other two and that would have been my loss.
The Captain
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there mateys! This is the third book in publishing order and yet the first in terms of chronology. Though the book is set in the same world, it has a completely different set of characters from the first two. There still are the Five Gods in this book but there is also other (older?) magic in the form of shape-shifters. It was compelling and yet odd at the same time. The romance also takes a bit more of center stage in this one. That’s not a judgment though, just a fact. In this book, a you ...more
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Lois McMaster Bujold has exactly the right idea with the Chalion series. Each book stands alone, but if you have read the first one (Curse of Chalion), you get all the background material you need to understand the geographical, political, and religious systems of her world. This means that later books (Paladin of Souls and The Hallowed Hunt) can have fresh new characters and plots, but we don't have to endure many info dumps. The magic system, meanwhile, gets more and more complex, as w ...more
Althea Ann
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to agree with others who have said "good, but not as good as the first two." However - it's still squeaking into the 4-star range.

I also feel that in this case, marketing this as "Chalion #3" is doing the book a disservice - though set in the same world as 'Curse of Chalion' and 'Paladin of Souls,' this is a fully self-contained, stand-alone novel.

Ingrey, a bad-ass but good-hearted soldier, who just happens to have been saddled with a forbidden spirit-animal as a young man, is sent to dea
Lata
Taking place years before the two Chalion books and set in a separate country, this book was not as gripping. There was a lot of stuff going on about animals spirits and gods and demons, and I just started tuning out. Plus, I never really cared about Ingrey, the main character. I could appreciate the careful plotting and worldbuilding, but the story just wasn't as enjoyable as the other two novels set in this alt-Europe. ...more
Kostas
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5/10

In The Hallowed Hunt, the third installment in the World of the Five Gods, Lois McMaster Bujold brings us to a different era that takes us, for the first time, farther from the kingdom of Chalion, deep into the unknown country of the Weald, and also in a new story that - through her incredibly wonderful craftsmanship - comes again to enchant us and to lead us to a great adventure of love and devotion; to a magical world as we have never seen it before!

From a time long-forgotten the people
Eric Moreno
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teleseparatist
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2018
I picked this book up in August, but my mood just wasn't right then; the world was bright and full of buzz and energy, and I was busy and lacked the attention span this novel demanded.

It's a very difficult book for me to review because it is quite a bit more complex than it seems on the surface (and it reads light even though it is far from being slight!). Very few things about it match what they seem at first. It zigs when you think it would zag. It is a novel that has very little action and ye
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Not recommended for animal-lovers: Lots of spirits (mostly of animals) being pulled into the souls of people (mostly through throat-slitting), causing various powers to manifest. Complex world-building, but it just didn't engage me the way I'd hoped. I read to 75% and skimmed the rest.

For whatever reason I tend to like Bujold's SciFi better than her fantasies. Two and a half stars.
Jesse Whitehead
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are books that are fun and exciting to read. There are also books that explore ideas in depth, providing commentary on some of the passions of human existence. Sometimes a book can be both of those things. The frequency with which Lois MacMaster Bujold is able to accomplish that with her books is astounding.

The Hallowed Hunt appears to be equal parts fantasy thriller and romance story but that is just a cover for what it really is: an exploration of forgiveness, redemption and mercy.

Bujold
Baal Of
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fish-and-chips
I didn't enjoy this volume as much as the previous two. That's not to say that this is a bad book by any means; the writing is still excellent, and the characters are still deeply complex and the setting is grand. I just didn't quite find myself as engaged, perhaps because the ideas didn't quite surprise me as much as in the previous volumes, or maybe because there wasn't any real connection to the other two books. Putting all that aside, I did enjoy this book and don't have any regrets in readi ...more
Wendy
When I stepped into the world of Chalion, I was introduced to its five gods—Father, Son, Mother, Daughter and the Bastard—and some of the rituals surrounding them, but I mistakenly assumed these gods were much like ours: believed in by some, but with little proof of their existence. But as with everything else in The Curse of Chalion, Bujold politely allowed me my assumptions, then gently pulled the rug out from under me and moved on before I even had time to catch my breath. Subsequently, I lea ...more

• Plum Duff (Greenwing & Dart #6)
  • Paladin's Hope (The Saint of Steel, #3)
  • Love-in-a-Mist (Greenwing & Dart, #5)
  • Bee Sting Cake (Greenwing & Dart, #2)
  • The Witness for the Dead (The Cemeteries of Amalo, #1)
  • Paladin's Strength (The Saint of Steel, #2)
  • Whiskeyjack (Greenwing & Dart, #3)
  • The Return of Fitzroy Angursell (The Red Company Reformed #1)
  • Stargazy Pie (Greenwing & Dart, #1)
  • Blackcurrant Fool (Greenwing & Dart, #4)
  • Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1)
  • Petty Treasons (Lays of the Hearth-Fire #0.5)
  • The Redoubtable Pali Avramapul (The Red Company Reformed #2)
  • Paladin's Grace (The Saint of Steel, #1)
  • The Grief of Stones  (The Cemeteries of Amalo, #2)
  • Divided Allegiance (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #2)
  • Fair Trade (Liaden Universe #24)
  • Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6)
See top shelves…
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse

World of the Five Gods (Publication) (3 books)
  • The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • Paladin of Souls (World of the Five Gods, #2)