Start by marking “Paladin of Souls (World of the Five Gods, #2)” as Want to Read:
Paladin of Souls (World of the Five Gods, #2)

Paladin of Souls (World of the Five Gods (Publication) #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  18,208 Ratings  ·  930 Reviews
In a land threatened by treacherous war and beset by demons, royal dowager Ista, released from the curse of madness and manipulated by an untrustworthy god, is plunged into a desperate struggle to preserve the endangered souls of a realm.
Published April 26th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published September 23rd 2003)

Carol.
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of epic fantasy, feudal fantasy
Unexpectedly captivating.

I'm a longtime fantasy reader, but I've gotten tired of the current crop of twenty year old heroines, the descriptions of their clothes, their vague struggles with boyfriends, and the development of their special powers. Even if coming-into-one's power storylines are set with werewolves and vampires, a certain uniformity starts to develop. Paladin does something I never expected in an epic fantasy; she's written a thoughtful coming-of-age story focused on a forty-year o
Mayim De Vries
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I do not speak to you as your royina. I do not even speak as one god-touched. I speak as a woman, who has walked to the end of that road and returns to report the hazards."

Middle-aged woman, a widowed mother of two, believed to be deranged (well, at least not entirely right in her head) is certainly not your typical fantasy heroine. But just like it was in the first instalment in the World of the Five Gods series, Ms Bujold proves to be very adept at creating the most unusual protagonists. As Z
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2016-shelf
Even though this one is set in the same universe and there are crossover references and characters, this novel is quite different from The Curse of Chalion, in both situation, location, and MC's. Don't let that dissuade you, because this book kicks some serious butt. Literally, for there's even a WAR!

Enter Ista, the dowager mother, considered mad but really just god-ridden, bored and desiring a bit of action on the side. (Get your mind out of the gutter. Yes, she does have some romantic feels, o
Choko
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the folks at FBR, because we love good Fantasy!

"...“The gods give no gifts without hooks embedded.”..."

For anyone who knows me, they must understand my love affair with the works of Lois McMaster Bujold. I am all about the characters who seem normal but are anything but... They are just enough off-center, that they become different than most leading characters we usually meet in both Sci-Fi and the Fantasy genres, despite their obvious to us, after we get to know th
Sherwood Smith
Oct 18, 2008 added it
Shelves: fantasy
I have to admit my partisanship right up front. I am a dedicated fan of the Miles Vorkosigan books and I loved The Curse of Chalion, which serves as a prequel to this book. Though Paladin stands quite well on its own.

The plot is fairly easily summed up: the Royina Ista, a middle-aged widow, decides to go on pilgrimage through the land of Chalion, which feels a lot like a Renaissance alternate-Spain, one that is overseen from the other-worldly realm by five gods, so there are five religious tradi
❄Allison❄
Updated Review Sept 12, 2015:

I always find it really difficult to review those books that I experience at a gut level and love completely irrationally. This was one of those. I simply enjoyed reading every moment of it, and don't know how to explain why. Now I've put it off for too long, and I'm going to try anyway.

First of all, if you've read The Curse of Chalion, you need to know that the pacing and focus of this book is completely different. That one was epic, full of political intrigue and k
Gavin
Jul 21, 2017 added it
The was more of a spin-off from Curse of Chalion rather than a regular sequel but that did not stop it from retaining most of the elements that made the first book such a good story. The pacing is fairly sedate but Bujold has an engaging style and this character driven story mixes in more than enough magic, mystery, action, and even a tad of romance to keep things interesting!

Curse of Chalion was Cazaril's story but Paladin of Souls switched focus and gave us Ista's story. We met the Dowager Ro
Michael
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michael by: Carol.
Shelves: fantasy
A totally satisfying vision of a middle-aged woman driven down by past tragedy who takes up the heroic work of making the world safe from the dangers of enslavement of souls. The character of Ista captured my heart with her charm, wit, and courage, as she almost did for the hero Cazaril in the previous book, “Curse of Chalion” (2001). For this feudal world, Bujold invents a lovely blend of Christian dualism with a Roman-style pantheon of five gods, a system within which saints and demon-infested ...more
Felicia
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is an outstanding followup to the first in the series (that I actually read so long ago I didn't quite remember, but it didn't really matter). There are beautiful twists in storytelling here, and a very interesting mature woman character. I found the storytelling refreshing and the characters engaging on a fantasy-level, with a bit of romance (but nothing to turn off guys ;) ). Lois Bujold is an author that transcends genre, definitely check it out!
Kelly
I was a really big fan of this when I started it. It's an aftermath story of a middle-aged woman, a Mother figure from a previous novel who has already lived through the fire and black magic that lead to the somewhat more typical fantasy-adventure of her daughter's coming of age, marrying the prince, producing an heir and living somewhat happily ever after. This woman, considered mad due to her previous involvement with gods and curses and magic, starts the book not even after those events close ...more
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS FANTASY list.

As the Locus Sci-Fi Award winners list treated me so kindly, I figure I’ll trust those same good folk to pick me some stars in their sister-list, the Locus Fantasy Award winners.

While I was predominantly reading my way through every winne
John Patrick Schutz
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Quite possibly the best fiction I've read in a decade. I was always fond of Lois McMaster Bujold's "Vorkosigan Series" of Science-Fiction books - always rollicking good fun while having deep underlying issues that make the reader remember them long after all the action and humor have faded to the background... but when Bujold decided to turn her hand to grand fantasy she found even more.

The first book of this grouping, "The Curse of Chalion" grabbed me from the first page. As a fan of Tolkein wh
Mike
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love, LOVE the protagonist of this book. She's not a great warrior, or a skillful rogue, or a powerful wizard, or anything like that. She's not even a not-great warrior or a not-powerful wizard who grows more powerful as the story progresses.

She's a middle aged woman who really wants a vacation.

Ista was a fairly minor character in Curse of Chalion, albeit one who was hugely affected by the events of that book. Here, she's been restored to full sanity, and chafing at the restrictions of her (lo
Heather
Sep 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heather by: Joseph
Shelves: favorites
I love this book. I love Ista. I love her sense of humor, and I admire her strength and forbearance. I love watching her warm up and fill up over the course of the book.

I love how the worldbuilding is just so natural and easy, and how complete and interesting it is. I love the theology.

I love how she tackles the themes of redemption, grace, forgiveness, guilt, sin, failure, the relationships of gods with their creations, power and impotence, selfishness, aging, death and dying, finding a sense o
Kaitlin
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is technically the second book in this series, although it doesn't follow many of the characters from Curse of Chalion with the exception of Ista, the once-mad Royina, who is the main character of this book.

In this story we see that Ista, following the events in Curse of Chalion, doesn't really have any purpose in her life now. Both her children have gone and she's left surrounded by her mother's old court of stuffy and silly ladies quite unlike her. Although she's an older and sometimes b
Rob
Executive Summary: A slow-paced but enjoyable fantasy novel that can mostly be read as a stand-alone.

Audio book: This is my first novel read by Kate Reading. I have long heard she is a great narrator, and I would have to agree. She doesn't exactly do voices or anything but she does distinguish a bit between characters. She speaks clearly with good inflections and emotions.

Full Review
Right off the bat this novel is unique for me. The protagonist is a 40-something woman. That's never the case fo
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm going to say the same thing about this, the second volume of Bujold's Chalion trilogy (I suppose, I've only seen three titles, I have the third as "to read"), I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I do try to reserve the "5 star" rating for books that I truly enjoy. Neither artistic writing, nor classic prose will I rate alone as 5 stars. I just got/get involved in these books. I care about the characters in them and am able to suspend belief and flow with the story.

Of late I've been (I be
Jim
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read (listened to) this out of order, third instead of second. Not a big deal. The events take place soon after the first book, but the third is set centuries earlier, so doesn't impact it at all.

All three books had different readers. The first, told about a man was read by one. This one, about a woman, was read by one who did quite a good job.

Again, Bujold uses a damaged, ravaged soul as the focus of the story, except from the 'privileged' female perspective. Issa was simply a minor, piteous
Cyndi
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought the first book in this series was good, but Holy Bastards, Batman this one was awesome!!! We have a strong heroine who has been thought mad most of her life. Now she has hit middle age and wants to escape the controlling life she has been living. She goes on a pilgrimage, even though she doesn't want anything to do with religion, just wants to shake off the cloying life she's been living.
But, the gods find her anyway and direct her in their paths. I laughed, I cried; it was glorious!
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
What do you do when you can talk to Gods and have the second sight but everybody thinks you’re completely and undeniably MAD?!

Easy – you do what Ista did: start off on a quest to curse a few Gods, fight a few demons, save a few souls and gain forgiveness for your own, answer a few prayers, fall in love, curse the Gods some more and then become their tool to maybe save the world?! Perhaps find courage, happiness and even yourself along on the road.

I loved The Curse of Chalion but this second bo
Ivan
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Paladin of Souls je direktan nastavak romana The Curse of Chalion, premda s drugim protagonistom. Odnosno, protagonistkinjom. U neku ruku, ovo je najznačajniji fantazijski roman napisan i objavljen baš u XXI veku. To se vidi i po tome što što je Paladin of Souls dobio Huga, Nebulu i Lokus za 2004, a nominovan je i za Mitopoejsku nagradu. Ovakav agregat nagrada ne viđa se baš toliko često i nema sumnje da je Budžoldova upravo ovim romanom udarila temelj za skorašnje velike uspehe u domenu epske f ...more
Claire
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time. It took me a little while to transition into McMaster Bujold's fantasy novels (coming from her amazing enormous Miles Vorkosigan Sci-Fi series) but once I got into Chalion, I was hooked.

What I like best about McMaster Bujold is that her fantasy heroes (and heroines) are not straw-haired, starry-eyed farmers nor creatures out of myth or legend- she writes about tired adults, beaten down by the daily tragedies of life.

In this, her second book set in the kingdo
Laura (Kyahgirl)
5/5; 5 stars; A+

I read this book years ago and rated it highly but now that I have read The Curse of Chalion and have a better context, this book shines even more brightly.

Ista was a secondary character in The Curse of Chalion. A woman who most regard as somewhat demented. By the end of that book Ista has come out from under the curse but is still wrapped in the loving cocoon/prison of her family and caretakers.

This book is about Ista, finding herself and her purpose, kicking some demon ass, an
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
I loved this even more than the first book in this world, The Curse of Chalion--and I loved Chalion a lot, which was my first book by Lois McMaster Bujold. Bujold was well known before these high fantasy works for a science fiction series, the Vorkosigan Saga. And after her fantasy I turned to those and loved them, but Chalion was first, and she wrote there as if high fantasy was her first language. She had a gift for creating a world that didn't feel off the shelf. Her deities feel like they ha ...more
Marina
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This book takes us three years after the events in The Curse of Chalion, where we follow dowager Royina Ista's adventures. Free from her madness, she seeks redemption through a pilgrimage. However, the gods meddle around and lead her to situations that involve ghosts from the past. Figuratively, don't worry.

If you liked all the historical references from the Curse of Chalion, you will get a better picture of the world of Chalion, and a better understanding of the faith aspects as well.

It is also
OhWell
Being back to a familiar world and familiar characters – at least the ones in the opening chapters - made for a smooth and pleasant start. I had doubts about Ista as the MC, knowing her role in dy Lutez’s murder; while she never grew on me as much as Cazaril, she did manage to redeem herself. We got to meet interesting new people and, while I could guess at some upcoming turns of events, others did take me by surprise.

My favourite aspect of the story was a much closer involvement of the gods. (v
Silvana
Finishing this book was not as fast as I thought. It was set in a more sedate pace than The Curse of Chalion. I know I said I missed Cazaril's POV a lot because he's funnier but actually Ista could be funny too with her dry remarks. Ista herself was a great character. It is not often we find a middle-age woman as a main character in any novels especially fantasy, which still has tendency to focus on teenage girls ready to fight the world and all that jazz. Maybe because I am past my teen years I ...more
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
This novel started really strong for me. I loved the author’s detailed attention to the main character (Lady Ista) characterization. I liked the idea of pilgrimage as an escape the royal court stiff environment, which is what you’d expect from a spirited mature woman in Middle-ages type setting. My interest waned when the demons turned up and became the focus of the story. I think I would have enjoyed this novel far more if the book were to continue as an historical novel rather than paranormal ...more
Nathan
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. As much as I loved some of the middle Vorkosigan books this is the best thing I have read of Bujold. It is quite possibly one of my top five fantasy books after an immediate read; I will have to let it sit for a while before confirming such a bold claim but I think I really mean it.

Wealhtheow
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Exciting, philosophical, excellent character and world-building. I found myself yearning to talk to someone about this book--it really incites thought.
  • The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6)
  • The Healer's War
  • They'd Rather Be Right
  • The Falling Woman
  • No Enemy But Time
  • Dreamsnake
  • Powers (Annals of the Western Shore, #3)
  • Stations of the Tide
  • The Wanderer
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Moving Mars (Queen of Angels, #3)
  • Slow River
  • The Terminal Experiment
  • Seeker (Alex Benedict, #3)
  • Cyteen (Cyteen, #1-3)
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • Forever Peace (The Forever War, #2)
  • Rite of Passage
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

World of the Five Gods (Publication) (3 books)
  • The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • The Hallowed Hunt (World of the Five Gods, #3)
“And the Bastard grant us... in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word.” 35 likes
“Poets speak of hope in ladies smiles, but give me a smirk any day, I say.” 30 likes