Start by marking “A Matter of Class” as Want to Read:
A Matter of Class

A Matter of Class

Just in time for Valentine's Day, from New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh comes yet another classic historical tale that sizzles with romance and unforgettable drama.

Reginald Mason is wealthy, refined, and, by all accounts, a gentleman. However, he is not a gentleman by title, a factor that pains him and his father within the Regency society that upholds statio
Published December 29th 2009 by Vanguard Press (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Matter of Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Matter of Class

Start your review of A Matter of Class
Mei
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Ohhhh.... what a wonderfully wicked (in a good way!!!) story!!!

I cannot say anything about the story because I'll ruin it completly, but if you love romance you just MUST READ IT!!!!

It's so unexpected and so, so sweet!!!!
NiCoLeTa E. {Addicted To Books}
What a charming and lovely story!!!!

This book was very small and i'm pretty sure that if it was a longlength novel it would be a great one...
But i like it as it is!!!!
I can not say much about it!!! Only that we have a forced marriage between two enemies...
How that had happened????

Well, Reggie was having some gamble problems and the last year was owing too many depts... His father had enough with this attitude and he wants to settle him down with the hope that he will have a more appropriate b
KarenH
Don't ever let it be said that all authors who have written many novels run out of new ideas. While it may be true of some, A Matter of Class proves it isn't true about Mary Balogh.

What can I say about this short story other than it was a delight, especially as an audio book. There are certain writer/narrator teams that bring out the best in each other and a Balogh novel narrated by Anne Flosnik is just about as good as it gets. From the very beginning I was captivated by this story as it was im
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Sometimes you read a book that makes you feel as though your insides have turned to sunshine and glitter. You read over passages and, no matter how curmudgeonly you are, find yourself smiling. As you reach the climax of the book, a joy swells within you at being able to partake of such love, even if it's completely vicarious, because you want that for yourself.

A MATTER OF CLASS is that book.

Reginald is the rakish son of a coal merchant w
Duchess Nicole
Don't read the blurb. Don't read reviews. Have faith that you WILL fall in love with this hero and heroine, even if you really question it a couple of times. Just know that this is one of my favorite Balogh books, and it will be yours too. It's a fact. I put the book down with a huge whopping grin on my face and romance in my heart.
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steamy, romance
This is a short stand-alone romance and what a delight it was!!! I absolutely adored the main couple and their encounters were so fun to read. I was mildly annoyed the first time we cut to a past scene, but I came to appreciate those almost as much as the main story. I'm not going to go any further because if you read the blurb, you pretty much know all the relevant things. I'll just say that this is beyond charming and do yourself a favor and take an hour or two and just revel in it.

A note abou
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
Oh what fun!
Completely adorable!
All of Ms. Balogh’s fans who haven’t read this book are surely missing something singular. She’s usually known for her composed prosaic tenor, so I was hugely surprised by this book. She sure has a wide repertoire.
A rom-com of the finest order, with a playful twist.
Don’t read any reviews (or shelves) before reading the book. Just get down to it!

(Wish the cover was more romantic though.)
Jan
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this short novel, or long novella. I'm not sure which. It's about two people who have known each other since childhood, as they were neighbours. But he is the only son of a wealthy but lower-class former coal merchant. And she is the only daughter of an old and aristocratic (but impoverished) family who wants nothing to do with these vulgar upstarts. So the children aren't allowed to mix or play together.

It's not really a Romeo and Juliet story. Even though the families hate each o
Zoe
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A cute story, decent length for a novella. Gave this story enough time to develop. Very sweet story between two charming characters. Kind of innocent, not that there weren’t any intimate scenes, it is just a harmless romance, nothing sinister going on. I would have given the story 4 stories but I can’t imagine myself rereading it so it has to be 3 stars.

Spoilers ahead

It is essentially a Romeo and Juliet kind of story. They befriended each other as kids and developed some kind of a friendship w
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
Damn this book has sparkling reviews!! Definitely will be reading it when I can!!
Karen
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

“You have never found anyone you can love?” he asked her. “N—,” she started to shake her head, and then gazed deeper into his eyes and sighed.
“Yes. Once.”

What a delight this was. Short and oh so sweet. To me this almost read like a novella or a romantic vignette. It has a sweet little twist as well. If you are looking for something uplifting and romantic, this book will more than deliver. I practically read it in one sitting. My only complaint was that it ended too soon.
SheLove2Read
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Regency romance
Shelves: best-of-2010, 2010
Listening to this on Audio CD is not quite as good. The narrator leaves much to be desires on such a great story. 8/2010

Original review:
This is my first Mary Balogh and it will not be my last! I simply loved this book! I really cannot review the story because I don't want to give even a HINT of the plot.

If you've ever read a book that just drew you in from page 1, that made you tingly all over, that made you laugh, cry and smile and that had an HEA that was deliciously smart yet so satisfying
willaful
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
If Mary Balogh has fallen off your must-read list of recent years, I urge you to try again with this book. It's really more of a short story than a novel and I wish Balogh would stick to this format for awhile, because it's so good to see every word with a purpose in her work again; her books have become so longwinded of late. This is charming, clever and blessedly succinct; I actually would had made it even shorter by taking out the sex. (Usually a fan, but it just felt out of place here.)
Lesanamar
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ooohhh I could spoil this one but I won't! Very tricky, Mary Balogh, very tricky! Yes. Read this.
Brianna
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This little story is amazing! The author wrote it so well, I didn't figure everything out until the end. It was great! Plus, I genuinely liked the characters of Annabelle and Reginald. I need to reread this though, I bet there will be awesome little things I missed. A great class differences story with a really good romance, it's a must-read for any historical fan.
Dinjolina
Wow!
I never saw it coming. Silly me,right?
It seems other people did, but eh, I still had a fun ride!
Btw you are more than silly for wasting your time reading my rew instead of reading this book. :)
Isabel
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this after The Kissing Booth and After, and that might influence the score.

I really liked this book and I did not see the twist come. I would def recommend going into this book without reading anything about it, because that feels better and the story will unfold better. :)
Anna D.
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow..the flashbacks alone in this book is worth 5 stars! Which makes the “present” story and the HEA ending feel like icing on an already delicious cake!

I have not read a childhood friendship turned HEA story in a long time and I don’t know if I’ve read one quite like this because usually the childhood friendship theme start out with the H/h being rambunctious children with their other siblings or the H is the h’s brother’s friend or some other similar connection. In this story, their friends
Kathleen
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shorter than Balogh's typical novel, but every bit as good. Even better than some! Poignant, sweet, sexy, and surprising. Be prepared for a twist or two. I agree with Lady Wesley, who remarked that it has an O'Henry feel.
Ira
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
What an adorable story!
Yes, that's the right word for this one:)

description
Gilgamesha
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The moment Reggie mentioned the indiscretions of the heroine I knew the whole plot but still enjoyed reading as the story unfolded and the families that once hated each other became one. It was a light romantic comedy with plenty of family drama. The tone of the book was unlike Balogh's other books but still a satisfactory read.
steph
Review November 2018: Well it only took five years later but I finally re-read this book. And guess what? I STILL LOVED IT.

I loved both Reggie and Anna(belle), I loved their families, their arranged marriage, the flashbacks to their childhoods, etc. It was all so nicely done that I finished the book with a big smile on my face. More books should give me that feeling. I've read a lot of Balogh's books but I think this one is still one of my favorites of hers.It just makes me happy.

Review Septemb
kris
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
OH MY GOD THIS WAS SO DELIGHTFUL. THEIR CONVOLUTED PLOT!! THEIR BANTER!! THEIR HAPPY EVER AFTER!!
Merry Jewelhound
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful plot and enjoyable characters. This book has been out for many years so I have nothing new to write for a review other that I enjoyed it a lot.
reeder (reviews)
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: untagged
Normally, Mary Balogh books leave me a little melancholy. Even though they end on traditional HEAs, there's something about the story -- some lingering dissatisfaction with a villain not punished or an obstacle sidestepped rather than vanquished or a past hurt accepted but incapable of being healed -- that reminds me too much of real life.

Not this delightful story. This reads like a romance and resolves like a romance. In addition, A Matter of Class was the first book able to break through my p
Kathy
This was just okay for me. I thought the summary sounded interesting and the whole idea of the story was original. It ended up falling flat for me though. I liked Anna and Reggie, but the story was so short I had a hard time really getting to know them. Everything happened rather fast, and jumped around from past memories to current and the book wasn’t near long enough to really develop the story or characters. I think Balogh was trying to go for a big twist ending that was predictable right fro ...more
LuvGirl
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the relationship that took place between the hero and heroine spanning from their childhood. It was beautiful to watch. I'm glad I didn't read any spoilers. Well to be honest, I did read a vague spoiler of a hint of a surprise twist in the end, so I was always on my toes trying to guess what was going on. I think that helped me to suspect the surprise twist early on. This was a very original and unique book. I wish more authors would surprise us with different ...more
Teresa
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was adorable. I haven't read much of Mary Balogh, and her backlog can be somewhat daunting for a person who has reading order OCD like me, so I picked this short standalone and read it in one sitting. I loved the dialogue and snarktastic banter. Such a fun read with an awesome heroine! This book put a smile on my face.
Caz
A truly charming novella. I'd worked out what was going on by about the second flashback, but that didn't matter. The dialogue between Annabelle and Reginald sparkled and I thought the back-and-forth between the different time-periods worked really well.

4.5 stars. This was so good and went in such an unexpected direction from what I thought it would when I started the book--not SO very unexpected since it's a romance and we know they are going to live happily ever after, but the way they got there wasn't what I had anticipated. Super charming and written in a more old-fashioned style than more recent Balogh books, but highly worth reading/listening.

• Miss Lockharte's Letters
  • A Wicked Kind of Husband (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Fallen Angel
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand
  • Ruined by Rumor
  • The Lady's Companion
  • Imprudent Lady
  • Summer Campaign
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • The Proposition
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more