Start by marking “Invasion” as Want to Read:
Invasion

Invasion

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  5,209 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
To anyone glancing upwards at the night sky, it would have seemed like a brilliant shooting star, but moments later electronic equipment began to spark and explode throughout the city. A deadly threat to life on Earth - from the icy vastness of outer space - invasion.
Published November 7th 1997 by Not Avail (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Invasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invasion

Patrick Gibson
They are microscopic, and turn humans into smiling, easy going save-the-planet ecologists less worried about greed and wealth than health and survival. So, may I ask, what is wrong with this? Why try to exterminate them? I wondered this all the way through the book.

Gotta be the first time I rooted for the invaders.

Robin, er, MR. COOK, since we are no longer on such good terms, writes in the preface he wrote this on spec for a television miniseries. I am glad I read that. This allowed me to expec
Allison
Dec 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: alien freaks
A weak offering by Cook, who never bothers to really develop characters anyway, this implausible tale moves pretty fast and is incredibly predictable. Moreover, the ending (which I will not reveal) is perhaps MORE stupid than the amusing/comedic "defeat" of the aliens in "Evolution" (the movie with Duchovny and that guy from the 7-up commercials, whassisname, Orlando Jones,) where they use Selsun Blue to knock out the blubbery alien mass. At least in "Evolution," the ending is plausible. I won't ...more
Dee Toomey
Although Robin Cook has written many books, this is the first I have ever read.

The cover says it was made into a TV movie and somehow I missed the movie as well, but after reading the book, I would like to see the movie.

A meteor falls to the earth, landing in a plume of dust and debris. This smooth, black, disk-like meteor suddenly extends an arm and collects samples of the earth to verify that it has indeed landed on the right planet. Once this is confirmed, the plan is put into action.

As an un
AH
Well, it's been a long time since I've read Robin Cook's books. I used to devour these types of books many years ago, but now the appeal seems to have gone. This is not to say that this is a bad book - it's not - it is actually a quick read and entertaining. It just lacks something for me.

What I did like about this book was the originality of the aliens. These guys were microscopic which is a new one for me. I also liked the group of people who combined their efforts to thwart the alien invasio
Lisa
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Storyline aside, I can't stand the way Robin Cook writes. His sentence structure is painfully clunky, he chooses to omit contractions in dialog in the weirdest places, and he actually uses exclamation points in narrative. I also felt that the storytelling was immature - not what I expected from such a prolific author. And honestly...the end wrapped up a little too quickly and neatly for me. Not a fan.
Janene
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written and entertaining. I enjoyed the storyline and think the characters were developed well enough. If you like something with a scifi feel and plot to include aliens..... then this book will be right up your alley. Little bit of a cheesy ending but that's okay I like cheesy ends.

Enjoy your read :)
Joe O'Connor
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent; Unlike usual medical suspense novels, this time its aliens taking over the Earth through a virus passed on by small black discs; a small group works to develop a cure.
Forgetfulone
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2017
I picked up this book because it was a bargain, and Robin Cook has a reputation as a successful writer. This is not a typical Robin Cook medical thriller, though. This is Cook's foray into science fiction. There is still a bit of medical thriller in it, but the "invasion," of course, is alien life.

The bool begins in a college town with a power surge that wipes out TVs, radios, and VCR's. Remember, this was written in 1997. This literally made me think of "The Twilight Zone." (cliche') I could he
Teri
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Todd Russell
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A science fiction departure from Cook's normal medical thriller yarns that still manages to blend enough Cook that it works. Could almost feel those creepy little alien black rocks that infect on touch. I like how the author took a unique point of view for the alien invasion and the ending worked.
Karen Mcconville
Pretty good up until the end, then it just stops.
Ruth
Corny and too similar to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Stick to medical thrillers, Robin.
Jeff Miller
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A SF thriller reminiscent of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Although the mechanism and aliens are totally different. Actually rather unique do-gooder aliens - the worst type. Pretty enjoyable.
Riannon
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It drove me crazy that the author kept writing "alright" as if it were one word. It is not ALL RIGHT to do that! Don't people use editors anymore?
Michael Lawrie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read anything by Robin Cook before and I can honestly say that I will likely never read anything by him in the future. There is so much I would love to say about this book over a glass of whiskey if we had the time, but alas we do not. Instead I'll try to be succinct and not revel in the utter misuse of my time spent in reading this book.

First, I found this book on the staff room table at work. I picked it up because the ideas it purports to explore: environmentalism, extraterrestrial
Debbie Zapata
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dar
Mom knows I have enjoyed Cook's books in the past, so she saved this one for me after buying it for herself at a used book sale. She wanted me to have something to read at night while I was visiting, but I was always so tired by the end of each day that I never made much progress in the story until I got home a few days ago.

It's gripping, it's fast-paced and fairly easy to read, not being stuffed too full of tons of technical information. But it also felt a bit predictable, and I was often confu
Maetta
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The book starts innocently enough with a trio of two in medical school, Pitt (ER tech) and Beau, and the student teacher Cassy they both love. There is undoing rivalry but the girl and Beau live together so mute point. A meteor shower leaves some interesting black perfectly round discs. Ooh shiny! Very attractive and interesting for people to pick up. Beau picks one up and dares Pitt to test out the heft. Somehow Beau is “pinched” by the smooth object. The next day he’s in the hospital with a fl ...more
Rick Patterson
Ahh, the importance of putting a little bit of energy into developing characters rather than chasing an implausible plotline that has been done better by other people. This is a mash-up of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, War Of The Worlds, and the National Enquirer, all of which speaks to Cook's ambition in getting some kind of story going, but it is all so unimportant if we can't connect with the people that it's all happening to. Creative Writing 101.
Pramod Ks
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have probably read this book before. I realized this towards the end but strangely I have no other memory of this book from reading before. Only the virus being used made me remember it. This book is good for scifi lovers. The concept is unique but somehow there seems to be something missing still.
David
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. The concept behind the book is not what I had expected from Robin Cook. I thought it will be yet another doctor couple trying to find why some bodies are missing in the mortuary. But the story is an unexpected one. But it still has all the thrills and technicalities of a medical thriller. Robin Cook has taught Michael Crichton. That makes sense.
Valerie Moschovis
Great read

Extremely entertaining. I didn't want to put it down. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good syfy story.
Thomas D. WHite
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Good idea well plotted a tad to easy to see end of the story
But well worth the time to read.
K. Rezaiezadeh
The paper thin characters and predictable plot just weren't my thing, I had to force myself to get through this unfortunately.
Béatrice
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Moi qui ne suis pas friande de science fiction, je me suis peu à peu laissé prendre...il faut dire que je le lisais en anglais !
Authorjen
I really, really wanted to give this book at least three stars, but ug, I just couldn't. I could barely manage two.

Years ago I used to read Robin Cook books — I love medical thrillers. But I was turning into a bit of a hypochondriac, so I had to stop. When I read this synopsis and learned it was more of a sci-fi story than medical story, I thought I'd get back on the Robin Cook bandwagon. But unfortunately, this book was a let down. Insert all the usual adjectives here: predictable, lackluster,
Lynn Orser
I always like reading a Robin Cook novel. the medical erms tend to confuse me but I can gather the meaning by reading the rest of the story. Invasion is slightly different form his usual subject mater but it is still exciting and fun to read. Enjoy.
Katie
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took this book on the airplane to read hoping that I could get it done on the return home and leave it in the seat for another "lucky" passenger to read. However, they kept me so entertained in first class that I didn't get to the book until about 2 hours before we landed.

I was quite impressed with how much I liked this book. I thought it would be another hokey far-fetched book about aliens, but boy was I wrong. The way that the author wrote this book and painted such a good picture through hi
JBradford
Nov 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Invasion begins with a poetically dramatic two-page prologue in which an extremely advanced spaceship arrives at the edge of our solar system and comes to Earth, after which it initiates a scientific investigation into the nature and makeup of Earth’s life forms. From there it all goes down hill, as Cook’s impossibly intertwined characters get faced with the results of that invasion—including Beau, a promising college senior who dashes off two days later to become hired as the personal assistan ...more
Dana
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Robin Cook doesn't fail to capture my attention and keep it throughout the entire book! Although, this book does require you to have both a background knowledge of biology and a love for it. I, thankfully, had both.
The story is basically about microscopic aliens that arrive in mini spaceships that look like shiny black stones. They are so smooth but they can inject themselves into a human's bloodstream when the spaceship is brought into contact with the human. The way these aliens fu
Rosemary Cantrell
I am not a huge science fiction fan and this was all science fiction. I prefer his medical thrillers, but this book was OK.

In this story the alien invaders are viruses who implanted a virus in developing DNA millions of years ago and come back and activate it every few hundred thousand years to see how life is developing. If they don't like what they find, they cause the virus to kill out the existing life form (like the dinosaurs.)

They have returned again and are pleased with the human form, b
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Invasion 1 5 Aug 11, 2016 01:49PM
  • Side Effects
  • The Andromeda Strain / The Terminal Man / The Great Train Robbery
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Undone
  • Mary, Mary
  • Blood Lies
  • Flawless (Nathaniel McCormick #2)
  • The Journey Back
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri
More about Robin Cook...

“Los hombres son todos iguales, cuando se sienten mal, no quieren reconocerlo.” 2 likes