Start by marking “Eclipse 3: New Science Fiction and Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Eclipse 3: New Science Fiction and Fantasy

Eclipse 3: New Science Fiction and Fantasy

(Eclipse #3)

To observe an eclipse is to witness a rare and unusual event. Under darkened skies the sun becomes a negative image of itself, its corona transforming the landscape into a strange space where anything might happen, and any story may be true...

In the spirit of classic science fiction anthologies such as Universe, Orbit, and Starlight, master anthologist Jonathan Strahan (Th
Published October 1st 2009 by Night Shade Books (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Eclipse 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eclipse 3

Start your review of Eclipse 3: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
Janis Ian
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how anyone else chooses their "ratings scale" - mine is pretty simple (I think):
5 = I can't live without it, own the print copy, would take it with me when I moved.
4 = I'd read it again, maybe in a day, maybe in a year, but definitely up there with my "comfort books".
3 = I liked it. I'd even recommend it. I probably wouldn't read it again, but who knows?
2 = I was disappointed, for whatever reason. Wouldn't recommend, wouldn't read again.
1 = Oh, I'm not even going to describe what w
Althea Ann
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Definitely an above-average anthology. I picked it up because it features Maureen McHugh, among several other favorites, and it definitely did not disappoint. My only quibble: the cover. The foreword to the book goes on at great length about how awesome the cover art is. But - it is not. It is a piece by a cover artist from the 50s/60s that never got used back then - probably for good reason. It doesn't reflect the writing to be found within this volume at all. So don't let it put you off!

The Pe
Paschalis
Jul 19, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: elibrary
elibrary
Caragh
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
The collection overall... more mediocre than good.

Story impressions from this anthology:

1: The Pelican Bar: Very unpleasant little story. Not at all sure why it's in a fantasy and science fiction anthology, so far as I can tell it's not sff at all. Not horror, either. Just unpleasant, and rather boring. Final verdict: unimpressed. Enough that I almost didn't read anything more in the anthology.

2: A Practical Girl: Loved the idea in this one, but only liked the story. Not sure why, I liked the
Joshua
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
I always feel that for an anthology to be successful, at least half of its stories need to be good. I know that doesn't seem like it should be a lot to ask, but generally speaking, half is a lot to ask for with anthologies that feature multiple authors.Nothing is more frustrating than sitting down with a collection of short stories, reading them one after another as you realize "man, a lot of these are terrible." I'm a completest, so no matter how off putting a short may be in it's initial pages ...more
Just_ann_now
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I bought this to read Ellen Kushner's "Dulce Domum". "Dulce Domum" seems on the surface to be about a young man hesitant to return home for the holidays due to emotional upheaval in his family, but if you know EK's work, you'll soon realize there's much more to the story than that!

In addition to "Dulce Domum", there were other great stories included as well, most notably Peter Beagle's "Sleight of Hand", and Elizabeth Bear's almost-but-not-quite take on the Thomas the Rhymer legend, "Swell". I'
Leilani
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another excellent volume of Eclipse! I finally had a chance to spend the whole day reading, no interruptions, and Eclipse 3 was my volume of choice - an excellent variety, packed with authors whose names I recognize as being of stellar quality. Only about 3 of these stories left me thinking, huh, what was that about? The rest were windows into beautifully written little fantastic worlds - I enjoyed the writing, I felt transported, I wanted more. As long as Strahan keeps putting these anthologies ...more
Samuel
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
It took quite some time to read the stories I didn't like, but the ones I did made it worth it. There were as follows (in order of appearance): A Practical Girl (Ellen Klages); On The Road (Nnedi Okorafor); It Takes Two (Nicola Griffith); Galapagos (Caitlin R. Kiernan); Dulce Domum (Ellen Kushner). 5 out of 15 stories might not seems like good odds, but they provide all the star power for my rating. For those looking to read this who might have different tastes than I, be aware that many of the ...more
Philip Hollenback
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
WOW! This is probably my favorite sci fi / fantasy anthologies from the last three years (and I read a lot of these things). There was a great balance of stories, although the emphasis was definitely on more 'soft' sci fi. I particularly enjoyed the more humorous stories such as "Yes, We Have No Bananas" and "Don't Mention Madagascar".

Read this book!
Anita
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Not much traditional science fiction, so not what I expected. Not even what I expect from Fantasy, but some interesting stories. I like "Swell", "It takes Two" by Nicola Griffith, "Sleigh of Hand" by Peter S. Beagle, "Galapagos" by Caitlin R Kiernon. ...more
Alena
Anthology.

I bought it for the Nicola Griffith story which is so well worth the read. Well written and intriguing.

The rest is a mixed bag. Some stories I liked, some I didn't finish. It certainly fulfilled my requirement for reading something different.
Glen Fox
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A lateral glance at science fiction, love and sex, in which a high flying female executive is paired with an eidolon in a Stetson and little else. The premise is repellent and enticing by turns, and the writing is masterly. A great short story.

Joel Nichols
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
in a world of sf anthologies dominated by men writing tired and juvenile faux-hard science fiction, this collection is a great gust of relief. check out especially the stories by mchugh and griffith, but they are almost all really good.
Gevera Bert
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Dulce Donum" has to be the strangest vampire story I've ever read--never mentions the words vampire or blood, but gets the point across. All in all, another solid collection of speculative fiction. ...more
Alisa
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Particularly enjoyed the Karen Fowler story, "The Pelican Bar" and Jeffrey Ford's "The Coral Heart." ...more
DebbieB
Apr 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Loved the Ellen Klages story, "A Practical Girl", in particular. ...more
Lynnet
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A rare anthology with no duds and no awkward transitions.
Lonnie
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
My copy of this ebook was made available as part of the 2010 Hugo Voter's Packet as a part of my membership to the 2010 WorldCon. ...more
Jenni
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO CUTE
Janet Richards
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hugo-2010-packet
Another story that explores the meaning of love. Liked it.
Anna Genina
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Worth it if just for the opening story: Karen Jay Fowler's "The Pelican Bar" ...more
kvon
Short stories.
Sarma Tangirala
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not quite the scifi I expected but certainly some very good stories. My favorite was the Unusual Tortoise.
Matt Drury
Deepak PS
Mar 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• L'Anomalie
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Exhalation: Stories
  • The New Space Opera 2
  • The New Space Opera
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War