Start by marking “The Witches” as Want to Read:
The Witches

The Witches

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  257,383 Ratings  ·  5,779 Reviews
A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.
Published October 1st 1983 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Witches, please sign up.
Akshat Roxx the existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been…morethe existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been made....it is for you to decide wheteher they exist as they are perfectly hidden in the society....they may be anywhere....they might be ur neighbour or EVEN A MEMBER OF THIS WEBSITE GOODREADS......who knows!!(less)
Xiomara Canizales Is more magical realism than fantasy in my opinion, as all the Roald Dahl books that I have read.

Jessica
May 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Warning: Extremely Long Review and Childhood Storytelling

When I was ten or eleven, I was sitting in the playground at summer camp, minding my own business and reading this book, when one of the playground supervisers came and asked me what I was reading. When I showed it to him, his eyes got wide and he took the book from me. Then he went to the trash can and started ripping it up, page by page. And he washed his hands afterwards, "to get rid of the filth." It was a library book. He was just goi
Starjustin
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect when I started this book. Believe it or not, this is the very first Roald Dahl book that I have experienced. I enjoyed this book tremendously. This chapter book tells a story of a grandma, a grandson, and their journey together is ridding the world of 'real' witches and saving the world's children. I will be reading more of this author for sure. I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a fun read and well worth the experience!
Wendy Darling
Re-read for our classics discussion Friday 10/30! Still had me giggling from the very first chapter.
James
Roald Dahl is in my top 3 of favorite children's authors. I had read a few of his books as a child, but most of my exposure occurred as a young adult and while in college.

The Witches was actually a book I read after the movie with Anjelica Huston was produced. I am a huge fan of her work, and when she appeared in this movie, I was fascinated with the story. I'd definitely recommend reading the book first as the movie takes the story so much further.

For one thing, the book has an unnamed narrator
Miranda Reads
After the tragic loss of his parents, a young boy goes to live with his much beloved grandmother. He soon learns of the impossible - witches exist. And they're sole joy in life is to find ways to make children disappear. Preferably in nasty and mysterious ways.

We soon discovers how to recognize a wit
Lola
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, witches
The clever and courageous tale of a young boy and his spirited grandmother who fight witches together.
Lisa
"Down vith children! Do them in!
Boil their bones and fry their skin!
Bish them, sqvish them, bash them, mash them!
Brrreak them, shake them, slash them, smash them!
Offer chocs vith magic powder!"

Oh, thank goodness for the likes of Roald Dahl, who can combine the scary with the funny stuff and open a treasure chest of children's fairy-tales with all the wisdom humanity is capable of (which, of course, still is quite limited).

As a child, I was terrified and fascinated at the same time when I read t
Joe Valdez
My introduction to the fiction of Roald Dahl is The Witches and this is one of those books whose language and imagination are so exotic that I wanted to scribble down every paragraph, until the story pulled me in and I surrendered to its spell. Published in 1983 with illustrations by Quentin Blake, I was presented a 30th anniversary edition for Christmas--by a dear friend on Goodreads--which includes Blake's etchings. Without the mischievous charcoal drawings to accompany it, Dahl's text alone w ...more
Mariah
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently trying to read all of Roald Dahl's books! When reading this book I realized that I definitely read this when I was in elementary school :) It brought back some memories. I loved this book and the creativity and that Roald does with this story line.
Michael
I was a very sheltered child.

Or was I a wuss? I was probably a wuss.

For instance, when I was a little tot, Sammy Terry scared the shit out of me. I remember being frightened by commercials of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and the one time I inadvertently saw part of a Friday the 13th movie on TV? Fogettaboutit. Nightmares for weeks.

But that all came later.

But this book. Oh, this was traumatic shit.

I was in preschool, probably 4 years old, when the teacher decided to read us The Witche
Michael Finocchiaro
The story of the young unnamed narrator and his grandmother living between Norway and England and affronting the Great Witch and her minions was delightful and fun. It would not be in my Top 5 of Dahl though (I appreciated the two Charlie books, the BFG, the Magic Finger and James and the Giant Peach more.) I love reading them to my kids in any case and getting all excited on what crazy twists the stories will take.
Carol.
Things that are cool:

-a cigar-smoking grandma who encourages you to take safe action

-investigating

-solving problems

-witches with accents

Things that are creepy:

-Having to stay a mouse the rest of your life

-Feet without toes

-Pet mice that go missing and are never found

-A boy who is never reunited by his family, or even mouse-trapped

-Talking about dying while in bed with your grandmother

Roald Dahl never worked for me as a kid. I distinctly remember picking up James and the Giant Peach and being si
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dancers
Recommended to Mariel by: greedy kid me
I've noticed for years and years that critics love to say that Roald Dahl is "spinning in his grave" over some such filmic adaptation of his works. I'm a curious type person so I had to look up what the hell was in his grave, anyway. He was buried with pool cues, his typewriter and pencils (backup?). Guess he'd need to hustle his way past the pearly gates? I'm kidding! Don't dance on my grave. (Gosh, real critics are so harsh.) If he's spinning I guess there's plenty in there to make lots of rac ...more
Ammara Abid
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl is one of the best and my favorite children's writer.
He's a master in depicting ordinary details in excellent manner.
Uptill now, I didn't find anything written by him which I don't love. ♡
Matt
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
What is a witch? After my last book, all about the Salem Witch Trials, I have a pretty good idea about what the Puritans thought. However, it would serve me well to allow Roald Dahl to present an answer to that for his childhood readers. According to Dahl, a witch has claw-like fingers (always gloved), remains bald (but wears a wig), and has squared feet (no toes and a horror when shopping for shoes!). But, the most important piece of knowledge about witches is that they DESPISE children more th ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Witches, Roald Dahl
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه فوریه سال 2001 میلادی
عنوان: جادوگرها؛ نویسنده: رولد دال؛ مترجم: شهلا طهماسبی؛ تهران، مرکز مریم؛ 1377، در 208 ص؛ چاپ سوم 1382؛
خلاصه ی داستان: قهرمان داستان یک پسر کوچکِ نروژی ست که در سن هفت سالگی پدر و مادرش را در یک سانحه ی رانندگی از دست داده. او به نروژ میرود و به همراه مادر بزرگ خویش زندگی میکند. مادربزرگ او زنی ست مسن که تجربه و دانسته های بسیاری از جادوگرها دارد، و در اوایل داستان تلاش میکند که با متقاعد کردن نوه اش مبنی بر این که جادوگرها و
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
The witches of England have a plan to do away with ALL English children. This little Norwegian orphan boy and his grandmamma come up with a plan to do away with all English witches instead. When they've accomplished that task, the little boy is noticeably altered in size and appearance. He doesn't mind, though. He sets off cheerfully with his grandmamma on a grand tour to rid the entire WORLD of those evil witchy creatures.

I've always known there were real witches in the world, because Mrs. Nai
sarafem
I would love to know why I am the only person on the planet who did not like this book. I tried to find some bad reviews on GoodReads, but the only one and two star reviews said things like "Bad no like mousey! dlksk djglsk diewqls!" I'm assuming they were in a foreign language and not written by a kid who could not type, but I was too lazy to click on the profiles. Maybe I should learn the language and go live there, where we can all unite in our hatred of this book.

It seems to me that 90% of t
Flor
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia de fantasía para chicos y no tan chicos, sobre las aventuras de una abuela muy peculiar y su nieto, para desbaratar a la Sociedad Secreta de las Brujas.

Las brujas, que odian a los niños y quieren librarse de ellos, están por todos lados, y van disfrazadas de mujeres comunes y corrientes, pero tienen ciertas características con las que pueden ser identificadas:
🎃 llevan guantes para esconder sus garras,
🎃 son calvas y usan peluca,
🎃 tienen un olfato muy desarrollado,
🎃 su saliva es
Manny
Headlands Hotel

For people who don't already know: the hotel used in the movie actually exists. It's The Headlands Hotel, Newquay, England, and I've eaten there several times.

The staff are friendly and well aware of the relevant history. If you ask, they'll show you the room where the witches had their big meeting and the spot where the baby carriage nearly gets pushed off the cliff. The food is good, and you get a fantastic view over the bay, where people surf in summer. Recommended!
Elena
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi, 2018
3,5*
No tuve el placer de leer los libros de Roald Dahl de niña, ¡pero nunca es tarde!
Tengo que reconocer que de haber leído este libro de pequeña probablemente me habría vuelto un poco paranoica buscando brujas por todas partes...!
Me habría gustado que ciertos puntos sobre el aspecto físico real y "deformaciones" de las brujas no se hubieran tratado como rasgos horrorosos y específicamente relacionados con su maldad (calvície, no tener dedos de los pies).
Dejando esta crítica de lado, la histori
Brian
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readers in the Roald Dahl know come to his books with an understanding that PG-13 level violence and mayhem are a part of his charms. This fast moving tale doesn't let fans down; all of the recognizable Dahlian tropes are on display and we are rooting for the child all the way to the end.

I had the extra bonus of having this read to me by my daughter. She's at the stage now where she tries on different accents for each character; her English accent was adorable. So, five stars for the book, five
notgettingenough

The trouble with this movie, is that we are supposed to cheer for the wrong side. The premise, for those who haven’t read or seen it, is that the witches have a practically foolproof plan to turn all the children of the UK into mice.

I mean, what’s not to like?

You may say I shouldn’t have been watching this movie with a cat. It’s true, the cat and I have never been more on the same wave length. As I sat there biting my nails and screaming at those witches ‘not the soup, please don’t eat the cre
Carol Rodríguez
De pequeña vi la película un millón de veces, la tenía en cinta VHS original, ni siquiera grabada de la tele. Me acuerdo bastante de ella y tengo algunos fotogramas grabadísimos a fuego en la memoria y me sorprende mucho no haber leído el libro antes, pero para todo hay un momento.

He disfrutado muchísimo la lectura, creo que tiene un humor muy particular. La abuela y el niño son encantadores, la descripción de las brujas insuperable.

Es un libro fascinante que pueden disfrutar los adultos al 10
Nahibya
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó.
Lo encontré mucho más retorcido de lo que esperaba, entiendo porqué la gente lo ama.
Me hubiera gustado leerlo cuando era pequeña !!
Recomendadísimo <3
Brendon Schrodinger
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Witches are out there. You're lucky you're reading this now. It means that a witch never got you as a child or you escaped from their clutches.

Witches are demons and have the following features: they wear wigs, they have squared-off feet with no toes and they smell faintly like old urinal. They have an insatiable need to kill, maim and turn children into animals. They can't stand children because to them they smell like dog poo.

And they love meetings. And they love forming a club.

I swear I have
Roya
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quite-good
The Witches and I go way back. We had a stack of Dahl's books and I always wondered what it was about. Then one day in art class, the teacher read a passage from the book describing the Grand High Witch which we were then supposed to draw. It was a fun class for the most part. After drawing the Grand High Witch, I became so curious that I had to read the book. The first read was magical. It's probably the only frightening book that I've been able to read and enjoy. I've read nearly all of Dahl's ...more
Leon Enciso
Reto 33- 2018 Book Challenge: Un clásico infantil que nunca has leído.

Sigues siendo tú mismo en todo menos en el aspecto. Sigues teniendo tu propia mente, tu propio cerebro y tu propia voz, gracias a Dios.

Igual de tierno y creepy que la película. XD Ame a el protagonista y a su abuela. ^_^
Jeraviz
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Es de esos libros que te llegan adentro y tocan algo de ti que no te esperas. Empecé leyendo con la mentalidad de que es un clásico para niños y en algún momento habría que leerlo. Pero desde la primera página me atrapó: sentí miedo con la Gran Bruja, sentí pena por el niño, sentí alegría, asco y tensión.
Si alguna vez tengo hijos se lo leeré más de una vez para que sepan identificar a las brujas cuando las vean por la calle.
juan carlos
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¿Para que leer las brujas?

1. Te muestra a esos villanos malvados sin corazón y a su vez divertidos. Además que la radiografía de la bruja es muy bien establecido.
2. La narrativa es adictiva y atrapante que jamás cae, sube sube hasta llegar a un buen desenlace.
3. El apoderamiento de la trama y el lector es único, ya que los protagonistas no tienen nombre así que puedes tú vivir la trama.
4. El final es muy diferente al de la película
5. El mensaje que te da la novela es hermoso: No importa el físic
  • Pluk van de Petteflet
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Great Ghost Rescue
  • Geef me de ruimte! (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #1)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • Bony-Legs
  • The Eleventh Hour
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud  (De brief voor de koning #2)
  • De katten van Kruisem
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • The Cut-Throat Celts

More about Roald Dahl

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” 1565 likes
“She might even be your lovely school-teacher who is reading these words to you at this very moment. Look carefully at that teacher. Perhaps she is smiling at the absurdity of such a suggestion. Don't let that put you off. It could be part of cleverness.

I am not, of course, telling you for one second that your teacher actually is a witch. All I am saying is that she might be one. It is most unlikely. But--here comes the big "but"--not impossible.”
199 likes