Start by marking “Taming Demons for Beginners (Guild Codex: Demonized, #1)” as Want to Read:
Taming Demons for Beginners (Guild Codex: Demonized, #1)

Taming Demons for Beginners

(The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)

Rule one: Don't look at the demon.

When I arrived at my uncle's house, I expected my relatives to be like me—outcast sorcerers who don't practice magic. I was right about the sorcery, but wrong about everything else.

Rule two: Don't listen to the demon.

My uncle chose a far deadlier power. He calls creatures of darkness into our world, binds them into service contracts, and
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published December 31st 2019 by Tantor Audio (first published September 11th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Taming Demons for Beginners, please sign up.
B No this can be read as a stand alone. However, the other series that does tie in a bit is one of my all time favourite series.

Start your review of Taming Demons for Beginners (Guild Codex: Demonized, #1)
mith
4AM screaming aside, hello! I’m about to jump into this again for a more normal read instead of tempting a zombie state in the morning lol

Ugh I love this book. I really, really love this book. It’s different from Tori’s Spellbound books in many ways, but it has Annette Marie’s signature writing style that reels you in regardless.

And listen I’ll try to be objective because, at this point, everyone already knows I’m here for the demon love interest. But I can’t promise that lmao

Starting with what
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 [gleaming] Stars

I generously received an ARC of this book from the author/ publisher in exchange for an honest review- all opinions are my own.

HOLY MOLY, WO-OW. This was everything I could’ve ever hoped for. Truly. Fantastic read that I recommend to anyone and everyone.
Annette Marie is an absolute FORCE.

I love the CodexVerse (A nickname is needed with Spellbound, and now Demonized, as well. I just happen to have one ). SO; naturally, I was a bit nervous to meet the
Holly
In this new spin-off/side-series, I think Robin is actually a little more interesting than Tori, even if Robin is 'weaker' despite the fact that Tori is just a human and Robin is not.

I really enjoyed the slow development of Robin and the demon's 'relationship' in the beginning of this book. Howeer, once the storyline crossed over to the same storyline/timeline as the other series featuring Tori, my interest did lower a little bit. Luckily it picked back up at the very end.

I think it's very
Robin (Bridge Four)
Joint review with Anne posted at Books of my Heart

I’ve had a few misses and some meh experiences in trying out new authors in the UF genre so I’m a little excited about new to me author Annette Marie’s Taming Demon’s for beginners. This seems like one of the more promising first books in a series that I’ve read lately. So far there are interesting characters, nice conflict, mysteries to be uncovered and a pretty cool world.

Robin grew up with some loving parents that always taught her to stay
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Taming Demons for Beginners was a ton of fun, action packed and impossible to put down. Just from that first chapter I was hooked and I screamed out loud best chapter ever! Oh my gosh you guys, Annette Marie knows how to pull you in and continually have you begging for more. The storyline was addictive, the characters lept from the pages and she created a world I never wanted to leave. This book is for everyone out there that loves to say just one more chapter, and then before you know it ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Taming Demons for Beginners
Guild Codex: Demonized Series, Book 1
By: Annette Marie
Narrated by: Cris Dukehart
This is an awesome start to a new series! Robin's parents die and she has to live with her uncle, but he doesn't seem so honest. She finds out he has a demon trapped in the library. He tells her never to go in the library again! Well, you know she did! That's when things go crazy! Exciting, suspenseful, thrilling, and funny! Can't wait for the next book!
Narration was terrific!
Precious
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku-universe
I can’t wait! This cover -- Edit September 15th, 2019 now that I actually read it.

I loved this fresh start of a spin off! Spin offs have their own obstacles to face. Yeah sure the main series lovers will give you a shot 70% of the time because of the love they have for the first one and a bit of obligation nibbling at their fingers. But their expectations are going to be higher. You have to start strong in order to keep he momentum from where the main series left off. And did Annette deliver
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
If the TV show Supernatural has taught me anything, it is that over time, you would be surprised what you can grow on you until even their evilness is cute and you adore them.
I absolutely loved this. From shy timid Robin that secretly wants to be a BA but is far braver and closer to it than she thinks, to Z, Amalia and of course my beloved Crow and Hammer members.
I loved loved that we see more of Darius in this! I loved him after the last book and he has always seemed mysterious but so darn
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

This book was worth the time I waited for the audio book to release and SO much more! This is the kind of book I want to read all year round! It was suspenseful and action-packed with quirky characters who shouldn't fit together but still find a way to make it work!

Robin was such a good character! She's the last thing you expect when you think of a demon contractor but her dynamic with Zylas is incredible! I love that she's an introvert who has a hard time standing up for
✶Rachelle✶
Shelves: arc, 2019
5 stars

^^^ me after finishing this book

I LOVE ROBIN

From the get go too, which hardly ever happens. It took me a little while to warm up to Tori (from The Guild Codex), but I had an instant connection with Robin....probably because I've had similiar thoughts as her. Word of warning...this book will make you hungry. Robin is an avid cookie baker.

I LOVE ZYLAS

I can't say much more without being spoiler-y, but his sass just works. I can't wait to see more of him in future books.

Seriously, if you're
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Okay, this was so so SO good. I really, really, REALLY hope the author continues many books with this character, Robin. Fascinating, I love her and Zyla. Perfection! :)
Tracy D.
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A monster before me. Monsters of a different sort behind me. I had seconds to choose my executioner.

Meet Robin Page:

A 20 year old sorceress that swore to her mother she would never use magic. 6 months prior, her parents met their untimely end. Now Robin is living with her uncle and his family. Unfortunately, her uncle has withheld her inheritance, sold her parent's home out from underneath her, and refuses to give her the priceless heirloom that is more important to her than anything else - her
AMY  (pronounced Ⓐh-ℳeⓨ) ♔♔Queen Of Fat Cats ♔♔ DIE YOUNG ADULT GENRE DIE!♔♔
YA isn't my cuppa, but this one
Isn't overpriced
Isn't lame PG13, it's not afraid of going dark
and it's ANETTE MARIE!!!
Seriously she's an amazing writer!!!

Guys!! If you haven't read anything by Anette Marie you're missing out!!!
Nicci
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First up, let me say that even though this IS a sister series to the Guild Codex: Spellbound series and they do intersect you don't need to know a single thing about the other series to read and enjoy this one. In other words, if you are new to Annette Marie and the Guild Codex world, have no fear!

Secondly, I love the Guild Codex Spellbound series so when I found out there was going to be a sister series I was both crazy nutso excited but also trepidatious.
It may be the same world and it may
Lesley
4.0. This sister series to the Spellbound series is just as fun, and the heroine is even more relatable.

Plot:
Recently orphaned Robin stumbles into the world of contracting when she finds an imprisoned demon.

Characters:
When we meet Robin, she is a sad, lonely bookworm, who is staying with verbally abusive family members in hopes of finding her mother's grimoire. As the story progresses, and she forms a shaky alliance with the demon Zylas, we see her turn into a quick-thinking, loyal, protective
Emma
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, ya, demons
4.5 stars. I’m a real sucker for Anne Marie’s UF take on demons!
Hilda
“Mercy is for the weak, payilas.”
“The weak can’t afford mercy.” I met his eyes.
“I think we can.

This quote describes Robin and Zylas’s relationship perfectly. She is his moral compas because azulas, a demon, doesn’t have one. What he does have is a fondness for small creatures to protect and cookies. Which works out perfectly for Robin in her time of need.

I’m not going to lie in the beginning I wanted to DNF this book. I was so frustrated with Robin and her self help books and cowardice. But
AMY  (pronounced Ⓐh-ℳeⓨ) ♔♔Queen Of Fat Cats ♔♔ DIE YOUNG ADULT GENRE DIE!♔♔
When your friends recommend the best books of the Kindle Unlimited selection

It was already on my list but Kenziey chan is a great friend and sent a rec my way. I have the coolest friends!!!

GUUUYSS, If you haven't read anything by Annette Marie sensei you're really missing out!!! Who are your so-called "friends" that don't recommend the best books out there?

If this is half as good as all the other books by Annette Marie sensei Taming demons is gonna be AMYZING!!!

Love you Kenziey
☕️Kimberly
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-2020
Robin Page, recently lost both of her parents. She moved into her uncle’s home with his wife, stepson and daughter. Her Uncle is the executor of her late parent’ will and hasn’t released their things to her including funds. However, she is more interested in a family heirloom. While looking for it she discovers her Uncle is summoning demons. Robin doesn’t practice magic, neither did her parents… but there is so much Robin doesn’t know.

The tale that unfolds was insanely addictive. I loved the
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!

Annette Marie has been on my TBR list foreverrrr, and I was so happy to finally get my hands on one of her books for a blog tour!

Taming Demons for Beginners was EVERYTHING I'd hoped for and more. I absolutely loved it. The writing was amazing and I really got sucked into the plot! There was lots of action and was fast moving. I couldn't put it down.

Robin Page, accidental demon contractor. She finds herself living with her Uncle and his family, where she befriends a demon
SheLove2Read
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Fantastically fun read! I could not put it down. 5 stars
Gaby★Me Myshelf and I★

I knew I was going to love this spinoff! Assuming the book was going to be half as good as those covers how could it not be?

My face the whole time be like

I’ve read the Guild Codex series and I’m obsessed with Tori’s story so when I found out there was going to be a series for the small contractor and demon brought into book 4, well I knew it was gonna be good! Annette Marie truly is one of my all time favourite authors.
For a newbie reading this story is probably would be a 4 star but for fans
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
3.5 stars, rounded up for being fun and well-written.

The heroine, Robin, annoyed me in the beginning; she cries often, is deeply non-confrontational, and makes some pretty dumb decisions. But I really had to cut her some slack. She's twenty years old, newly orphaned, and just generally a more reserved and submissive heroine than the feisty arse-kickers who usually populate urban fantasy novels like this one. That didn't make her a bad heroine. On the contrary, she grew on me a lot, and I really
Sarah Leenart
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. Why oh why did I stay up reading until 2am last night? It means that it's all over and I can't read it for the first time again. So so good though, every single word is like a gift. Words can't describe how much I love everything this author puts out there and this book proves her mastery yet again.

Robin was introduced at the end of Demon Magic and a Martini in the most awesome style ever and I couldn't wait to meet her. She is shy, introverted and would rather bake or have her nose in a
Lindsey (Lindsey Reads)
Note: I received an Advanced Reading Copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Let me start this off by saying: I’m a difficult reader. I really am. Especially when it comes to starting a new book or series. I’m super skeptical to get started, and it usually takes me a good 100 pages or more before I even get invested in the story and characters. So even though I’ve already read SIXTEEN Annette Marie books, all of which I have rated 4 or 5
julia ☆ [owls reads]
4 stars!

“Protect me.”

Taming Demons for Beginners can be read as a first installment in a new standalone series (so if you haven’t read The Guild Codex: Spellbound, you’ll be fine) and it’s pretty engaging! Robin is a tiny bit way too naive for me, but her POV is really compelling and the situation she finds herself in with Zylas, a demon, hooks you in right from the beginning. The world-building is also really cool and well developed, especially as its delivered with a bit of humor
AJ Cosgrove
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book in this world I say "this is my favorite" but...THIS IS MY FAVORITE! I love this urban fantasy world with magic, guilds, and demons. This book correlated perfectly with the last guild codex book I read, book 4 (I think?) the demon magic book of Tori's series. However, it is absolutely not necessary to have read the other series if you start with this one. It's a fun overlap, not enough to confuse, and not enough to be boring if you do read both books! If you have read it though--some ...more
Stephaniec
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: demons, magic
I was pleasantly surprised with this book, we get to know Robin who by herself is a bit of a weak sister. But she has no choice but to step up her game once she finds herself a contractor. Zylas is an interesting, strong, mysterious character and I think balances Robin out nicely.
Steffi au Penguin
LOVE LOVE LOVE ...more
Lola
I received a free copy from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

I was quite excited and curious when the author announced this spin-off series from the Guild Codex: Spellbound series, but also a bit afraid that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the Spellbound series. I started this book quickly after I received my copy, excited to see what it would be like. This is another great read by Annette Marie. Filled with action, demons, magic and a likable main character. I enjoyed it just as much,

• How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • Pack of Lies (The Potentate of Atlanta #2)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Blood Trial: Supernatural Battle (Vampire Towers #1)
  • Heart of the Thief (The Wardbreaker #1)
  • Spiked (The Sundance #1)
  • Shadow Caster (The Nightwatch Academy #1)
  • Evermore Academy: Winter
  • Scales and Skeletons (Trixie Towers, #2)
  • Fireborne (Raven Cursed # 1)
  • Vampire Debt: Supernatural Battle (Vampire Towers #2)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • Wishful Thinking (How To Be The Best Damn Faery Godmother In The World Or Die Trying #1)
Annette Marie is the author of YA urban fantasy series Steel & Stone, its prequel trilogy Spell Weaver, romantic fantasy Red Winter, and sassy UF series The Guild Codex.

Her first love is fantasy, while fast-paced adventures and tantalizing forbidden romances are her guilty pleasures. She proudly admits she has a thing for dragons, and her editor has inquired as to whether she intends to

The Guild Codex: Demonized (3 books)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
“Would it look bad if I hid behind Zylas? He was my demon. I was allowed to use him as a shield, right?” 2 likes
“I glared at him, unreasonably offended that he thought my blood was gross. “Serves you right for licking me.” 2 likes