Start by marking “Alien III” as Want to Read:
Alien III

Alien III

Audible is bringing William Gibson’s uncovered Alien III script to life in audio for the first time, to mark the 40th Anniversary of the birth of the Alien franchise.

Alongside a full cast, Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen reprise their iconic roles as Corporal Hicks and Bishop from the 1986 film Aliens.

Father of cyberpunk William Gibson’s original script for Alien III,
Audible Audio
Published May 30th 2019 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Alien III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien III

Montzalee Wittmann
Alien III by William Gibson and narrated by a full cast, including the original "Hicks" and "Bishop". Love the cover art too! The first few minutes gets the listener oriented to where in the story plot things are happening. Then the new material is presented. It is fast paced, exciting, and wonderful just what I have come to expect and love from all the Alien movies!
The full cast with the music was just like watching a movie ( with my eyes closed, lol)!
Alan
Audio Dramatization of the Movie that never was
Review of the Audible Audio edition (2019) dramatized and directed by Dirk Maggs

The original Alien III screenplay (1987) by cyberpunk author William Gibson never reached production. Early director Renny Harlin had rejected it and by the time the final Alien³ (1992) reached production with director David Fincher, the 1987 script (with its Soviet-Union-inspired United Progressive Peoples component of characters) was somewhat out-dated given the 1991 b
Terry
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Excellent presentation, and I enjoyed listening, but I’d hoped for a little better story.
Jamie
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This would have made a decent, if somewhat uninspired, installment in the Alien/s film series. Gibson introduces a new strain of the well known alien, but it's a minor development and there's no real trace of Gibson's genius here. He also incorporates a theme of East/West cooperation and a hope for the thawing of cold war era tensions, reflecting the changing mood of East/West relations of the late 1980's. For him I assume it was really a business, rather than creative endeavor. Audio production ...more
Emma
Jun 18, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
Audible have done some really fun dramatisations of Alien stories. This.... is not one of them.
Miriam
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, audio, syfy
5 awesome sound affects and talented narration stars audio!!! Wow wow wow!! loved it!

2 stars story. a lot was going on and I couldn't keep up with who was who and so forth.
M. Jones
I was disappointed with this. Not with the audio dramatisation, which I would definitely give 4-5 stars (and great to hear Hicks and Bishop again), but with the plot. It seems the studio thought likewise, as chronicled in a fascinating account of how the script was commissioned yet never made, although they did nick some of the best ideas from this (parasite DNA, hybrids). I saw Alien3 such a long time ago I should watch it again to judge, but I'm not sure it was much worse. One thing that peeve ...more
Terry
Jul 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
I might be generous enough to give this book 1.5 stars. I just listened to this and wondered why. Why was it made? I have no idea. The best thing about this was that it was a free listen. It didn't cost me anything but my time. The story was pretty much like every Alien movie with nothing new brought to it. For the record, I love the Alien movies, but, as I stated, this was simply a retread of what we've seen/heard/read before. I need to find a better sci-fi book to listen to, so I can cleanse m ...more
Chrissie
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was free on Audible. I gave it a try because I was intrigued by the idea of an entirely different script where Newt and Hicks survive (yay!) This picks up right off when Ripley kills the queen and the survivors go into hypersleep hoping to return to Earth.

Aliens 3, the movie, had Ripley crash landing into a penal colony, but in Gibson's version, the ship's navigation has malfunctioned and enters an area in space controlled by some socialist group/nation (?). When these people board the ship
Stacy GeekRemixALot
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was fun! I got this as a freebie, but I was already considering buying it because I greatly enjoy the Alien franchise.

I really like the audio dramas that Audible puts together, I think they do a great job with sound and it almost feels like watching a movie! Like a lost script for Alien III or something. Would have been a cool film too :)
Mike
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic production. I was unfamiliar with Gibson's script but you can see elements used in the film version of Alien 3 and, to an extend, elements touched upon in Alien 4. Gibson's vision and this dramatization lays in some solid world-building dressing a science-fiction-horror with elements of political thriller and a further deepening of the "evil corporation" aspects glimpsed in Aliens.

I can also see why this would not have necessarily made a great movie; it is very much a novel written a
Raven Forrest
PERFORMANCES - 4/5
STORY - 2/5
OVERALL - 2.5/5

At best a mediocre story with a good cast to elevate it the level of entertaining. If you're looking for something short, (this only being 2 hours), and are curious about what could have been the 3rd Alien movie, this isn't a bad choice.

My props go out to the cast, all are really good. I loved that they got Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen to reprise their roles, but it's strange they couldn't get Sigourney Weaver or Carrie Henn even though Sigourney
Glee
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
A script written in 1987 intended to form the basis of the next Alien sequel. It didn't get used - so it has been repurposed as an audiobook/play. So instead of Charles Dance and Charles Dutton on a prison ship that somehow Ripley crashed (or was kidnapped, details elude me - it was 1992...), we have an alternative version. I liked the one used for the movie; if they had done this version, it would have been more like the first two movies, but I'm perfectly happy to have two possible sequels.

Th
Liam
Jul 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope, 2019, audio, didnt-finish
When I saw the taglines "the script that never made it to screen!" and "William Gibson's uncovered Alien III script!" I jumped at this.

Turns out, the Hollywood-meddled, rushed-to-cinemas David Fincher Alien 3 that we got (which I actually quite like) was the lesser of two evils if we didn't get this tripe instead.

Utterly underwhelming, despite the production value and managing to drag Michael Biehn and Lance Henrikson out of whatever hole they live in when they're not milking their role in the A
Christopher
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Audible has shifted towards what are essentially radio-dramas. Fully cast with sound effects and music. The results are often mixed.

This one is from the original story for Alien III by noted sci-fi author William Gibson. It takes place right after Aliens and features Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and what's left of Bishop being picked up by a vessel that's not affiliated with any of the mega corporations in the earlier films.

What follows is far less actiony than Aliens and a little less claustrophobic
Ann Schwader
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another engrossing theater of the mind from Audible, though probably best for Alien series loyalists or obsessives (guilty as charged). This full-cast dramatization of a never-filmed William Gibson script offers a solid couple of hours of dark adventure, though with a Cold War twist that made it feel slightly dated to this listener.

Of course, it was written in 1987.

If you've been enjoying other Audible offerings from this universe, you already know what's in this package -- and you'll probably
Emma
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, horror, sci-fi
The concept is very cool. An audio drama; the thought makes me think of HG Wells and War of the Worlds. Instead of narration, the story is told with a full cast dialogue, sound effects, and music. The overall effect was a fun listening experience. I can only hope my future audible originals are as good.

I would give the performance five stars, the story itself just three stars.
Dawie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why could this not have been the movie we got to see ??? What a journey👍🏻
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Nothing special, but it also wasn’t a bad listen.
D.K.
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This version of Alien III should have been the one filmed
Peter DiCicco
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Based on an earlier different version of Alien 3, this audio drama is a solid and at times exciting Alien story. Though Ripley is conveniently written out of the story, which means we lose the most compelling character in the franchise, it continues the story with Hicks and Bishop well. It's main failing is that, as an audio drama, it spends a lot of time with characters describing what is happening rather than crafting a clever way letting the listener's imagination fill in the blanks. It does ...more
Nick Scott
To be clear, this wasn't technically a book, but and audio drama, a format which I don't have a ton of experience with, but my feelings are mostly lukewarm.

This drama was adapted from one of the many unused scripts/treatments the studio commissioned for what would be the third movie in the 'Alien' franchise.

It was entertaining, and I loved hearing Michael Biehn and Lance Hendrickson back voicing their roles, and I loved the characters in the story itself. Unfortunately they were the only charac
Samuel
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
It could be this screenplay was passed up because it just wan't particularly good. While Alien III the movie may be the weak link in the series, it could have been weaker... This hardly seems like an improvement...
Angelika Fuller
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was not as compelling as the rest, but it gets a solid rating for production value alone. If audible could make the whole franchise like this, I would be ecstatic.
Chad
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting continuation of the story. Nothing like the third movie.
James
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This wasn’t as bad as I’d initially thought, but it still wasn’t very good. The story just didn’t work as an audio presentation.
Amy Billman
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an audible original production. Not bad honestly if you were down with the alien movies.
Mike Wallace
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Great Audible production. The story is very similar to Aliens. I was hoping for better given the author. A lot Cameronish dialog which is never good. Nothing will beat the first Alien.
Richard Radgoski
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short (2 hour) what if, alternate history of Alien 3. With a full cast and reprisals of roles by Michael Biehn and Lance Hendrickson, I really enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

William Ford Gibson is an American-Canadian writer who has been called the father of the cyberpunk subgenre of science fiction, having coined the term cyberspace in 1982 and popularized it in his first novel, Neuromancer(1984), which has sold more than 6.5 million copies wor