Start by marking “They don't make plus size spacesuits” as Want to Read:
They don't make plus size spacesuits

They don't make plus size spacesuits

“They don’t make plus size spacesuits” is a sci-fi short story collection, featuring an introductory essay. It is written by long-time fat activist, Ali Thompson of Ok2BeFat.

This book is a incandescent cry from the heart, a radical turn away from utopian daydreaming of future body perfection to center a fat perspective instead.

Ali invites people to experience a fictional
Published June 28th 2019 by Self published

To ask other readers questions about They don't make plus size spacesuits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They don't make plus size spacesuits

Start your review of They don't make plus size spacesuits
Sh3lly
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sh3lly by: Mark
Blog | Twitter

Review also found at:

This is a collection of short stories by the creator of Ok2BeFat that comes with trigger warnings. Spacesuits contains multiple important ideas that are stated wonderfully. As a fat person myself, I understand exactly what it feels like to be invisible, yet feel very visible at the same time. Society frowns upon fat, looks down their nose at its untidy existence, makes jokes, points fingers, yet you are dismissed as
Mark
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
Buddy Read with friends at WBtM. This was a thought-provoking collection, and it's obvious the author writes with true passion. The last story was the best, ending with a note of hope.
Genesee Rickel
The first two stories feel like they have a different form than the last two, but I loved them all. This is NOT an easy read and it isn’t supposed to be. If anyone reads this and is curious about the real-life policies, practices, and norms that are behind the sci-if, please let me know. I have articles, and blogs, and podcasts, and personal experiences to share that back up every single thing in this book. The real horror of the story is that this isn’t science fiction, it’s fucking real and it ...more
Dawn Lawson
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional book. I rarely do 5 stars -- this one had the ingredients of a good book. Engaging story, superb writing, and (view spoiler) The latter isn't absolutely necessary, but strongly encouraged for my piece of mind. I just read a five star book without the (view spoiler), and it is still messing with me. I have no idea how to review it.

The writer of Plus Sized Space Suits takes on body image, which most writers don't dare go
Jessica Belmont
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They Don’t Make Plus Size Spacesuitsis a powerful collection of short stories from characters in the same dystopian society, where they try to “fix” fat people with medical procedures and technology.

It is a very interesting, and scary look on the world, and what the world could be. There is a lot of difficulties in being a bigger person in this word. From difficulties finding clothing to feeling shameful for eating. Ali Thompson touches on all of this in a unique way.

I recommend checking this
Quinkling
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(I received an ARC, for which there were no conditions.)

This is the best thing I've read this year. A beautiful, heart-rending piece of work. I scarcely drew breath while I was reading. There's something incredibly cathartic about They Don't Make Plus Size Spacesuits; it's as though all my experiences of fatphobia are being *seen*, and understood. That's so rare in fiction, and so precious.

A wonderful book.
Kateblue
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The first story in this (very short) book was truly amazing. It seriously wowed me. I said "wow" out loud a couple of times, and then I wrote it a couple of times in my book group discussion. It should win an award. What a unique idea! I am not sure that I agree with the author's implication (view spoiler) ...more
Serena
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this in one quick sitting. Part of that is because it's short, but mostly because it's incredible.

Each one of Ali's stories really gutted me while also making me feel at home. I could see myself in these worlds in a way I really haven't in most sci-fi. In much the same way that The Handmaid's Tale extrapolates on the arguments of conservative evangelical Christianity and sees them to their logical end point, They don't make plus size spacesuits sees diet culture to its logical extreme.
i liked the intro more than the stories themselves. these were very angry stories. and yes, fat people in this world in this time deserve to be angry, but i just didn't love these stories as much as i expected to.
Hollie Beg
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was not a pleasant book to read. The stories are incredibly powerful, and they _hurt._ Ali offers a warning to that effect in the introduction, and I was grateful for that, for the chance to brace myself and catch my breath and not be taken completely off-guard when the first story just Hurt. So. Much.

This is not a pleasant book. But it’s important.
Chad Musick
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: speculative
This book isn't so much a set of short stories as it is a set of monologues from characters in the same future. The format works to the advantage of the theme here, giving us glimpses into a dystopian/utopian society in which fat people are controlled via medical procedures and technology (the dystopian portion) but may also have a place to escape (the utopian portion).

Each story/monologue is along the lines of the individual chapters of Good Kings Bad Kings, an award-winning 'novel' written as
Jessica Bronder
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of four stories that revolve around being fat, obese, and unwanted. The basic idea is in the future fat has been punished and is trying to be destroyed. The narrator talks about being fat and the different “helpful” ways that have been created to help encourage these people to lose weight and fit into the perfectly thin society.

This is a touching and heartfelt expression of someone that has been deemed fat and them trying to follow the rules and please those that are trying
Abbey
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did you ever wonder what it’s like to be fat in a world where phrases like ‘war on obesity’ are used unironically and seen as a good thing? This collection comprises short stories and an introductory essay. The stories are set in futures even more fatphobic than our own present, and show snippets of the horrors that fat people might endure, sometimes even be persuaded to volunteer for under the guise of ‘health’.

I thought this was a really superb volume of stories. It’s very short, it won’t take
Jaime Starr
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a free ARC of this book from the author. There were no conditions put on me receiving the ARC from them.

I can’t think of any fat protagonists in books I’ve read. Horrible, right? I am fat, and this is the first time I’ve seen a mirror to that part of myself. But if this has to be the first time then what a first time it was. I feel whole for having read this. Seen in ways I didn’t realise I could be seen. Ali has a way of speaking to the solidarity and isolation we experience as
Kathryn
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ali is an amazing artist and a worthy follow on youtube and twitter, and I'm so glad she published this book. It's an introductory essay plus four short stories looking at how a future built on an "ideal" (thin) body could look on an individual body surveillance level. It's such an important connection to make between the utopian future we envision and the monitoring, disciplinary, and punishment systems they require. I also appreciate the direct line Ali drew between seemingly innocuous ...more
Maire
Oct 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
I want to save the next book club from making a sad mistake.

My SciFi book club selected this book because of all the great reviews. We are all plus size so I think think this also contributed to the choice.

Here are the issues with the book:
1. It is super short
2. The characters are not engaging
3. There are no new insights
4. There were no plots
5. It was not entertaining

If want to read a plus size book that has none of the flaws of this book, read Lindy West's Shrill. It is not SciFi but it is
Phoenix
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sarah swenson smith
This book was heartwrenching. The way each story addressed fatphobia - both in a larger culture and within sci-fi - was so fresh and visceral. I wanted something more to a lot of the stories, more of Ali's writing, and more stories in general. The writing fit it's audience really well, but I felt there were some moments that were a bit forced, so 4/5. If you want to understand how truly horrifying fatphobia is, read this book.
Alexis
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely devoured this book and felt each story like a punch to my emotional circuits. Each one reads as cautionary tale of what life can be like if the future really is the “fat-free utopia” traditional SF/F writers envision. Anyone who lives in a fat body will recognize these themes in their everyday life. I can’t wait to see the future work of Ali Thompson!
Marina
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unapologetically true and authentic

This is an excellent collection of short stories, which might as well have been essays. Alternate worlds, or our own future, from the perspective of those we want to forget, ignore, eradicate. But they are still here, still fighting and they're going nowhere. Fat activism and beautiful writing all wrapped up in a wonderful read.
Tin Minute
They Don't Make Plus Size Spacesuits is a collection of stories that center on what kinds of dystopian futures 'big girls' might one day face. Most of the stories include some sort of operation, whether chosen or forced and overlords bent on policing the bodies of others. I was expecting more of a science fiction element to it, but most of it was speculative and only one story took place in space. It's not a spoiler to say that there are no happy endings in this book, but it's still worth the ...more
Melanie Page
Sep 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fat-characters, dnf
I purchased They Don't Make Plus-size Space Suits by Ali Thompson, a fat activist known as Ok2BeFat, just recently. Her stories, however, reiterate all the vitriolic garbage society says about fat people. Why not use her stories to create fully-realized, empowered fat characters? The ideas are simplistic, too. Instead of a family working to make their daughter less fat, she eats diet food and exercises to be less...tall. Just why? DNF for feeling horrible while reading. Her content warnings ...more
Meredith Lister
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid sci-fi that asks “what happens to fat people in Utopia?”

I’m a sucker for sci-fi short stories, especially when they take our current world and sharply critique it through reframing.

The story “Nothing left to burn” stood out as a highlight to me; the tone of it leans almost into the horror genre.
Odessa Scorpio
it took me a minute to realize this was like short stories but wow.
this was smart and intense and so well written and at times really sad and a bit disturbing
Ida Ottesen
Read as part of the Popsugar Reading Challenge, prompt #20 A book set in space.
Laurin
Jan 20, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• That Could Be Enough
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Minor Mage
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • Emergency Skin
  • Pet
  • Otherbound
  • Failure to Communicate (Xandri Corelel, #1)
  • Foxfire, Wolfskin and Other Stories of Shape-Shifting Women
  • The Old Dragon’s Head
  • Wain: LGBT reimaginings of Scottish folktales
  • Triquetra
  • Testing Pandora (Xandri Corelel, #0)
  • Tone of Voice (Xandri Corelel #2)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate